Start by marking “Mogworld” as Want to Read:
Mogworld

Mogworld

In a world full to bursting with would-be heroes, Jim couldn't be less interested in saving the day. His fireballs fizzle. He's awfully grumpy. Plus, he's been dead for about sixty years. When a renegade necromancer wrenches him from eternal slumber and into a world gone terribly, bizarrely wrong, all Jim wants is to find a way to die properly, once and for all.

On his side
Mass Market Paperback, 413 pages
Published September 8th 2010 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Mogworld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mogworld

Start your review of Mogworld
Patrick
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun listen, especially given that the Yahtzee has a delightful audio narration style.

My guess it that anyone who enjoys his game reviews will most likely enjoy this book as well.
Jeremy
Apr 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ZP fans, bored Pratchett groupies, nerds in general
Recommended to Jeremy by: The shameless author
Oh hey, looks like I got the first review. That's gotta be the first time that's happened.

Anyway, I really find myself wishing for half-stars again, 'cause this is a fairly solid three-and-a-half star book. But, given my love for Yahtzee, I felt I should round up. It's a loyalty thing.

It was a fun read, with plenty of smirks and one or two genuine laughs, but none of the full-out guffaws I'm used to from his work with The Escapist, and definitely not as much as comedic virtuosos like Douglas Ad
Sinisa Mikasinovic
Everything about this book was unusual. I've known Yahtzee for a long time from his awesome podcasts but never read any of his works.

Turns out - I was missing a lot!

From the moment I started reading, I couldn't let go. The story started great, written and told in a manner in which only a gamer can do. When you are a member of a group who likes the same things as you do it would be a pretty big feat to mess it up.

But building up an original story is a no small feat. While it's not of a LitRPG gen
Maggie
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
After two lazy fat jokes in the first three chapters, I decided not to finish this one. This disappoints me. I love Croshaw's video game reviews, but this lacks the clever wit that those have. As far as I can recall, the humor in his reviews have never been lazy as these bits:

"I had passed on from life, from the world of struggles and hardship and big fat women with annoying laughs, and entered a glorious new existence of utter peace, joy, and love."

"I might have been surrounded by stupid people
Quinn
Nov 03, 2010 rated it it was ok
Yahtzee is one of my favorite game critics, not just because his Zero Punctuation series is hilarious but because he's generally spot on with his criticisms, especially where storytelling is concerned, because he understands when it works and when it doesn't. Unfortunately, not all of his own advice makes it into his first published novel, and the results are a bit disappointing. This is by no means a bad book - it's frequently funny and full of clever and original ideas - but it doesn't come cl ...more
Andy Steinberg
Nov 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
The only thing that carries over from Yahtzee's video game reviews is his unfailing cynicism. While that works well for him as a critic, it does him little favors as a novelist. The protagonist is essentially Yahtzee's internet persona thrown into a fantasy world, and his never-ending stream of complaints and pessimism about the book world only serve to make him impossible to like as a reader. If I've learned anything about writing through my years as a reader, it's that you should never have an ...more
Kate
Oct 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy, humour
This is really more of a two-and-a-half, but I'm being generous on the grounds of "great idea, iffy execution."

This would've made a spectacular short story or novella; the idea here is fresh, taking your typical swords-and-sorcery novel and turning it on its head in several ways, from the choice of protagonist (an undead minion) to the framing device (it's no secret to tell you he's in a MMORPG). Unfortunately, there's just not enough there to hold up a full novel. The characters start to become
Benjamin
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
For a debut novel, and a genre that I seldom read, I thought Yahtzee did exceptionally well. The book is at its core a parody of MMORPG's, (aka. World of Warcraft mainly). Many jokes are in there for gamers and lovers of linguistics-alike. The narrator and main character, Jim, is an undead guy which somewhat throws a spanner in the works however. Throughout the novel various entities try to have him killed, and Jim's goal is to stay dead in the first place. And although Yahtzee kept it pretty be ...more
Jason Parent
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one from Yahtzee Croshaw was quite enjoyable. Like his other listens, you can expect a wide dose of sarcasm and dry wit, as well as similar characters and voices, which are all well done and complex even if transferable. I still think Will Save Galaxy for Food is my favorite of Croshaw's works that I have listened to, but this one is a close second.
Carol
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well I'm impressed. I thought this was going to be some sort of humour/satirical fantasy, but it turned out to be so much more like that. It reminded me a bit of SAO, but much more fun, and definitely better achieved.
I loved this story, it's got a little bit of everything in it. The right amount of fantasy, the right amount of sci fi, and the right amount of reality. And it's hilarious! I've never seen an undead that was so much fun to follow around in his non-adventures.
The setup starts as a ty
Kara Babcock
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-read, own, fantasy
This is one of those rare instances where I feel a book’s cover copy gives away too much about the plot. Other than that, Mogworld is a lot of fun if you’re a fan of MMOs, or D&D-style fantasy adventure games, or spoofs of the fantasy genre in general. Yahtzee Croshaw brings his renowned wit to the world of novels, and while I miss the crudely-drawn stick-like figures against a yellow background, there’s plenty of entertainment to be had here. As with many stories like it, Mogworld’s humour is i ...more
Eric Mesa
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: video-games
This book is Simon Peg/Nick Frost meets World of Warcraft. I can't remember if I got this in the same ebook bundle as Jam or a different one, but I chose Jam of this one to read first because it sounded like I'd enjoy more. I never played WoW or any of its ancestors or any progeny. As of this writing never even played Diablo or any of its clones. So Jam seemed more up my ally - especially after I confirmed it was more of a spiritual successor to Mogworld than a Sequel. (One of the programmers in ...more
Jerry
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was an audiobook I picked partly because Audible had a sale and partly out of curiosity to see how badly someone who's mostly known for making fun of video games online would fare as an attempted novelist. And it's pretty much what I'd expected. The quailty of the prose isn't anything to write home about and the first-person narration is loaded with metaphors that reference to things that wouldn't exist in a fantasy world. Maybe he intended that to be a running gag, but that's not how it ca ...more
Bonnie
Jun 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was probably more like 3.5, but it could have easily been a 5 if the author had either integrated the game aspects earlier and more thoroughly, or left it out entirely, and made it a straight fantasy (this would have been even better in opinion). As it stood, the game elements were confusing, and pulled you away from the story as it progressed.

Another downgrade, for me, was the ick factor. The 3 main characters are risen dead, and as the story goes on, they start to fall apart and...ooze. I
Miriam Cihodariu
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: england
This was such a happy case of a book surpassing my expectations. It probably helped that the other reviews got my hopes down (ha, ha), so I wasn't really expecting much to come out of it.

I was led to believe that the main quality of the book is the way it satirizes the video game tropes and the fantasy world cliches. And that beyond this delicious flavor of irony, its literary value doesn't amount to much, nor is it the point of it.

Lo and behold, was I happy to discover that it is in fact surp
Luke Waldron (TheGingerBookWorm)

The sense i got from this book is the author took moments from other authors, the mad real sarcastically British characters of Terry Pra
Eric Allen
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very fun little book about sentient NPCs in a MMO trying to figure out wtf is up with the players playing the game.
Sally906
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, audio, fantasy
Very funny - would have been 5 stars if it wasn’t for the end. Recommended for those who like Terry Prachett and/or gaming.
Nickel
I am a 24-year old woman and I have a confession: Zero Punctuation was essentially, absolutely formative for my sense of humour as a young teenager. I genuinely believe I would be a different person if I hadn’t obsessively watched ZP vids over and over and over again. To this day, I can see echoes of it in my own work and speech patterns.

And Mogworld is nothing if not an extended Zero Punctuation video. So, I love Mogworld. It still slaps, as the kids say.

I could talk about how video-game-bro
David Colpitts
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'll start off by stating outright, I'm a Yahtzee fan boy. I find him hilarious and his "Zero Punctuation" has been a little gem in my week for years.

I was totally surprised when I heard Yahtzee had a book being published and even more stunned when I heard it was good. I'd searched around whenever I was in a book store hoping to pick up his novel and add it to my ever growing list of books to read. The long and the short is I eventually decided to order it as it was never available.

This Book wa
Michael Hanscom
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, fiction, fantasy
Entertaining (though not great). Would have been three stars, but got docked one for its horrid three female supporting characters: one is basically an idiot doormat, one is a nagging wife, and one is essentially a lobotomized piece of eye candy with no will or higher brain function, whose primary mentions are descriptions of how much she's not wearing and lewd comments about what the men around her can do (and perhaps have done) with her. While the basic premise, though not horribly original, i ...more
Michael
Sep 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
I had fun listening to Mogworld. Don't expect it to be as packed with punchlines as Zeropunctuation.
I have never played a MMORPG, but I have watched a lot of Star Trek (TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise and all the movies, even the reboots) even so I think I prefer Mogworld written and read by Yahtzee to Redshirts written by John Scalzi and read by Wil Wheaton.
Yahtzee's narration is superior to the narration of the actor Wil Wheaton.
(Disclamer: I usually don't enjoy books in which the author go
Hannah
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
I think this book would still be enjoyable even for non-gamers as the plot twists and turns with further sub plots added in just for fun. Kinda think of the sub plots as additional quests which had to the storyline of the main plot. (view spoiler) ...more
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I really enjoyed 'Mogworld'. It is flawed, as some of the jokes fall flat and Croshaw's trademark absurd metaphors often feel forced, but I after a while I found myself just not caring! I loved the main character, the plot kept me interested and (for the most part) it was a clever, entertaining read.
Erin Rovelstad
This book was like eating butter toast. It wasn’t really all that tasty or interesting, but it was solid, adequate nourishment. Certainly better than plain toast. Or moldy bread. But I really could have used a bit of jam or honey to give it some pizazz.
R
May 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Alluded to rape and sexual abuse of a comatose/dead woman is not funny. I'm horrified by this author.
Avarla
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was a weird read (which is good) with a lot of video game background (which worked well for me) and a ton of backstory (which got realit stodgy after a while). The novel picked up speed once the setting was all done and the video-game background was "revealed" (It was recommended to me with the words "and he wakes up and realizes he's a video game character" so I imagined a WoW-like visual anyway).

The story was still fun and a nice once it got going. I'm not sure I can ever look at NPCs the s
Sarah Booth
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Funny and witty, but at points here and there lagged especially towards the ending which seemed drawn out. Many characters are on the stereotypical end, but it fits here. Our protagonist is bitter about being resurrected but waffles a bit at times about being deleted. If you’re a gamer this would probably be a lot more fun. This happened to be one I listened to and while the author is quite entertaining, he’d do better to find a professional reader who would add a wee bit more inflect ...more
Martha Steele
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There can be no doubt that I love humor, the cheekier the better. This book has zombies, humor, fantasy and technology. Did I love it? YES!! It was a perfect mix of good fun, excellent storytelling, and surprisingly profound themes. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!
Nenad Pavlović
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A rather clever parody of the MMORPGs as well as fantasy in general that covers many more serious themes and motives while being hilarious all the way through.

• Hijacked Histories
  • The Case of the Damaged Detective (5-Minute Sherlock, #1)
  • Second Hand Curses
  • The Authorities™
  • The Vexed Generation (Magic 2.0 #6)
  • The Search for Splurt (Space Team, #3)
  • Gina's Therapy
  • The Wrath of Vajazzle (Space Team, #2)
  • Dial D for Deadman (Dan Deadman Space Detective, #1)
  • Udo the Digger (Worldship, #1)
  • Sabotage at Willow Woods (Nancy Drew Diaries #5)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Primary Phase
  • Son of a Liche (The Dark Profit Saga, #2)
  • Out of Spite, Out of Mind (Magic 2.0 #5)
  • Fight and Flight (Magic 2.0, #4)
  • Disenchanted (Land of Dis, #1)
  • A Nancy Drew Christmas (Nancy Drew Diaries, #18)
  • Assassin's Creed: Gold
Benjamin Richard "Yahtzee" Croshaw is an English comedic writer, video game journalist and author of adventure games created using Adventure Game Studio software. He writes articles for Australia's Hyper magazine, a major games publication. He uses his website "Fully Ramblomatic" as an outlet for his own work, including weekly dark humour articles, essays, fiction, and webcomics. He is currently m ...more

News & Interviews

“I had passed on from life, from the world of struggles and hardship and big fat women with annoying laughs, and entered a glorious new existence of utter peace, and joy, and love.
And then some git brought me back to life”
18 likes
“He seemed to notice for the first time that we weren't exactly rushing to his side, but were mainly watching him as a zoo patron would watch a crazy monkey, curious but ready to move at the first sign of poo-flinging. There was a minute of awkward silence before someone near the back with their head held under their arm said "who's this twat?” 12 likes