Madam, want to talk about author Mary Stewart? discussion

Mary's Romantic Suspense Novels > This Rough Magic

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments Just spotted this photo gallery on the locale, Corfu Island, at the Mary Stewart novels blog, http://marystewartnovels.blogspot.com...

message 2: by Pat (new)

Pat | 42 comments Thanks, Misfit. Makes me want to pull out this book and read it again.

message 3: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments I need to get back to reading more of her books. I let myself get side tracked again and things are out of control.

message 4: by Pat (new)

Pat | 42 comments I know........... :o). You need a Mary Stewart book to get you grounded again.

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 428 comments WOOT! WOOT! So excited to be able to read this book shortly on the group read.

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 428 comments Misfit wrote: "Just spotted this photo gallery on the locale, Corfu Island, at the Mary Stewart novels blog, http://marystewartnovels.blogspot.com..."

THIS IS WONDERFUL! Just looked at it. Ahhhhh. WOnder if they have one for Gabriel Hounds.

message 7: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 120 comments Getting Ready for the Read.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

For all our new members: The threads are already in place, and Tadiana will bump up the discussion threads before September. So, no need to create any new threads. I hope everyone enjoys the read! :)

message 9: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽, Moderator (new)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1084 comments Jeannette wrote: "For all our new members: The threads are already in place, and Tadiana will bump up the discussion threads before September. So, no need to create any new threads. I hope everyone enjoys the read..."

Yes, I'm just waiting for the start date to get a little closer before I bump them. I know you're all raring to get started! ;)

message 10: by Judith (new)

Judith (judithgrace) | 322 comments Misfit wrote: "Just spotted this photo gallery on the locale, Corfu Island, at the Mary Stewart novels blog, http://marystewartnovels.blogspot.com..."

Gorgeous pics! I want to go!

message 11: by Judith (new)

Judith (judithgrace) | 322 comments I want to go, but want the Gales father and son (especially son)and the dolphin to be there too.

message 12: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) | 405 comments Judith wrote: "I want to go, but want the Gales father and son (especially son)and the dolphin to be there too."

So right!

message 13: by Judith (new)

Judith (judithgrace) | 322 comments Jeannette, do you think RA would make a good Max Gale?

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 428 comments Tadiana wrote: "Jeannette wrote: "For all our new members: The threads are already in place, and Tadiana will bump up the discussion threads before September. So, no need to create any new threads. I hope everyo..."

YEA, I figured. I am trying to sneak in GH before the upcoming group read. Hope I can finish it before TRM starts. Wish there were more audio books. My sit down time to read is so limited this week.

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 428 comments Judith wrote: "Misfit wrote: "Just spotted this photo gallery on the locale, Corfu Island, at the Mary Stewart novels blog, http://marystewartnovels.blogspot.com..."

Gorg..."

I saw that earlier. Beautiful. Can't wait for this read. The setting is a big draw, and the dolphin.

message 16: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽, Moderator (new)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1084 comments Misfit wrote: "Just spotted this photo gallery on the locale, Corfu Island, at the Mary Stewart novels blog, http://marystewartnovels.blogspot.com..."

Fantastic pictures! They're making me antsy to start reading this! And to hug a dolphin. :)

description

message 17: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffy,7mxcddddddddddddddddddd

zxssjjjjhussssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ZA

Kitteh just walked on my keyboard and left comment above :p

The dolphin is awesome in TRM.

message 18: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽, Moderator (new)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1084 comments I get the impression that your kitteh doesn't care for dolphins, Misfit. Or maybe it's just you being on the computer when she wants petting that is irking her. ;)

message 19: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments I don't think it was the dolphin :p

The keyboard is bluetooth wireless thingy, so it was on my lap with the comment window open. Just walked over a few times for her petting, then dumped a bunch of fur all over the keyboard and the Fire screen :/

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Judith wrote: "Jeannette, do you think RA would make a good Max Gale?"

I think RA would make a good "anyone", Judith. But, for some reason, I tend to picture Mary Stewart's heroes with sandy or light brown hair.

message 21: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽, Moderator (last edited Sep 08, 2014 01:09PM) (new)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1084 comments Jeannette wrote: "Judith wrote: "Jeannette, do you think RA would make a good Max Gale?"

I think RA would make a good "anyone", Judith. But, for some reason, I tend to picture Mary Stewart's heroes with sandy or light brown hair."

Heh. I almost always picture my MS heroes with dark brown hair. But then that's kind of my default mode for heroes. I sometimes wonder how I managed to marry a guy with dark blond hair. :)

message 22: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) | 405 comments RA is MS hero material in my eyes as well, and yet I never picture him as a MS hero when I read her books - go figure.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Hannah wrote: "RA is MS hero material in my eyes as well, and yet I never picture him as a MS hero when I read her books - go figure."

Weird, yes?

message 24: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 82 comments Tadiana I imagine my hero with dark brown hair also with brown eyes and bulks of muscle. My fiance has everything I can imagine in a hero except the big bulky muscles. I call him my Knight in shining armor!

message 25: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 82 comments Misfit I love your dolphins comment. How sweet Lol.

message 26: by Judith (new)

Judith (judithgrace) | 322 comments Jeannette wrote: "Judith wrote: "Jeannette, do you think RA would make a good Max Gale?"

I think RA would make a good "anyone", Judith. But, for some reason, I tend to picture Mary Stewart's heroes with sandy or l..."

Too true.. How funny I picture them dark haired and blue or grey eyes.

message 27: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 82 comments Just looked at the pictures of the island of Corfu, I wish I could be there right at this moment. So beautiful and magic.

message 28: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments I always want to be there in February. Well, actually, I just want to be anywhere there's blue sky and sunlight in February.

message 29: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 82 comments Good place to be in the winter time.I hate winter!! Of course though I could be there anytime and I would feel like I was in heaven.

message 30: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments I love winter, and I don't care how cold it is (no, really) as long as the sky is either blue or snowing, but I detest cold, dreary foggy skies. We're planning on moving from the valley to the mountains in a few years, and I will be ecstatic to have clear skies again!

message 31: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 82 comments Here in Ohio, we never hardly have sunshine or blue sky in the winter. It is always cloudy and dreary and no leaves on the trees.
We get lots of snow, which is pretty in a post card but not fun when you get snowed in. I don't mind the cold though.

message 32: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments I don't mind getting snowed in, as long as there's plenty of food and fuel, but I don't want to be snowed out! Our mountain place is actually in a highish valley, so we have a 360' view of the mountains all around us and the trees are evergreens. We do have a pretty fun mud season in the spring, though, which is why the wildflowers in June are gorgeous. Obviously, I love my Idaho!

message 33: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽, Moderator (new)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1084 comments Sounds lovely, Karlyne! *makes note to come visit* :D

I moved down to Phoenix for 5 years because I was so fed up with the inversions (fog) that hit us in the Wasatch front in Utah. It took about 4 years, but eventually I decided that Phoenix summers were in fact worse than Utah winters. Where we live now is far enough from the city, and a high enough elevation, that we avoid 95% of the winter inversions.

message 34: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 82 comments I want to move in Florida by the gulf. Like Bonita Springs or Naples. It's warm there all year round. It's beautiful there! I also love the ocean. We start predicting that in 2 years we will be moving there!

message 35: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Tadiana wrote: "Sounds lovely, Karlyne! *makes note to come visit* :D

I moved down to Phoenix for 5 years because I was so fed up with the inversions (fog) that hit us in the Wasatch front in Utah. It took about ..."

I know what you mean, Tadiana! Right now we're not only too close to Boise, but the Snake River is right behind us, so we get the worst of the fogs (aka inversions). I always thought that the summers were the worst in the flats (and they can be blistering!), but they only last about 2 months or so. I swear last winter went for at least 6 cold, nasty, dreary months! We're building our little retirement house about 130 miles north for when we can actually retire, and in the meantime, we'll be getting to escape on the weekends.

And, book club at my house! Well, as soon as we get some interior walls and stuff like that...

message 36: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Mary wrote: "I want to move in Florida by the gulf. Like Bonita Springs or Naples. It's warm there all year round. It's beautiful there! I also love the ocean. We start predicting that in 2 years we will be mov..."

But WHAT ABOUT THE BUGS??? Haha, that's about all I know of Florida...

message 37: by Katy (last edited Sep 26, 2014 12:33PM) (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 120 comments Yes, Karlyne, we too are close to Boise & hate those inversions. We like to escape to Cascade, ID when those last in the winter. BTW we do have a farm in Homedale, but live in Middleton area.

message 38: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 82 comments Lol! BUGS don't bother me, there in every state. But warm weather year round, beautiful scenery, blue skies, sunshine, and going to the beach whenever you want to, sounds like pleasure to me. There's always something fun to do.

message 39: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Kathy wrote: "Yes, Karlyne, we too are close to Boise & hate those inversions. We like to escape to Cascade, ID when those last in the winter. BTW we do have a farm in Homedale, but live in Middleton area."

The place we're building is about a mile out of Council, which is literally right over the mountains from Cascade. We're planning on taking the Forest Service road to Cascade next weekend (before the snows close it down). It's such a gorgeous area!

message 40: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 120 comments Oh yes, beautiful area.

message 41: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 82 comments It does sound gorgeous, we are planning on moving to Florida, because of the same reason, I plan on retiring in about 12 years, and want to start looking for my retirement home

message 42: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments The beach sounds fun, too, Mary! (Even with all the bugs)

message 43: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 82 comments Ha-ha! Just as long as they're not in my house I'm O.K with that, but a little leery about the alligators. Lots of alligators in Florida.

message 44: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments If it'll make you feel any better, we have rattlesnakes!

message 45: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽, Moderator (new)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1084 comments I just found some delightful illustrations of This Rough Magic on a Mary Stewart website, from a contemporary review of the book. Here's the link: http://marystewartnovels.blogspot.com...

message 46: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 82 comments Karlyne, both are deadly, I wouldn't want to be to close to either one! Florida has anacondas and pythons and boa constrictors and tarantulas!!

message 47: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 82 comments Tadiana, I love these illustrations, practically everything is covered from the book. You have Sir Julian, Max Gale, Lucy, the different kind of roses, the sea, and the dolphin, plus the caves. I liked the first batch of photos also, I added the third picture of the bay to my smart phone. When I get tired of that one I am going to change it to the picture of the dolphin.

message 48: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 82 comments I put the third picture on my wallpaper on my smart phone. It makes my phone look so beautiful.

message 49: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Tadiana wrote: "I just found some delightful illustrations of This Rough Magic on a Mary Stewart website, from a contemporary review of the book. Here's the link: http://marystewartnovels.blogspot.com......"
Those are absolutely lovely! I have a few illustrations in my copy of The Spell of Mary Stewart (which includes This Rough Magic, The Ivy Tree and Wildfire at Midnight), but they're black and white.

message 50: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Mary wrote: "Karlyne, both are deadly, I wouldn't want to be to close to either one! Florida has anacondas and pythons and boa constrictors and tarantulas!!"

At least I can hear the rattlesnakes. And they can hear me, too, because I have a very loud, piercing scream.

« previous 1