Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Challenges > A Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 129 (129 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Becky (last edited Oct 03, 2010 06:55PM) (new)

Becky (bookhoover) Last year, two librarians posed a challenge: To read 100 books by 10/10/10. I tried, but didn't make it due to various events in my life that infringed on my reading time. But I'd like to revise the challenge for the coming year, and I invite anyone who's up for it to join me.

Here's the challenge: To read 111 books by 11/11/11.
The idea is to push yourself to read things you wouldn't normally read. Make a list of kinds of books you plan to read. For example--here are some of the things I put on my list last year:

A book with a pink cover. (I generally avoid them.)
A Dummies book to learn something I don't know.
NY Times non-fiction bestseller.
A book about someone from another culture.

You get the idea.
Who's in it with me?? I propose we start on 10/11/10.

Becky

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 03, 2010 07:02PM) (new)

I'm in. I love challenges - anything to stretch my mind. I'll have to think about what kinds of things I want to put on the list though.

I think one of the things I'd like to include is:

For every (# to be decided upon later) YA books I read, I'll read one adult book. It isn't that I don't like adult books - they just usually tend to take a back seat to all the YA on my TBR.

Neat idea, thanks for reviving it.

message 3: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments I participated in the 100+ books book challenge this year (Jan to Jan) and I've already surpassed my goal and almost read double the 100 books, but adding books that I don't normally read could be interesting. I too am one that generally reads YA over anything else. So I'll add:

A biography
12 Parenting books (one per month)
12 Classics (again one per month)
A true story
and I'll think of more later

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, classics. That is an awesome idea. I am actually ashamed of having not read some of them by now. Do you mind if I borrow that idea, Becca?

message 5: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Plagerize away! And have fun with it. If you need any recommendations for some classics, I've read some good ones over the years, I just don't read them consistently.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, which would you recommend? I've read a lot of Jane Austen. Little Women is my favorite book. I have read both The Secret Garden and A Little Princess. That is about it for classic literature.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I could do with a challenge like this, so im in ;)

message 8: by R (new)

R (betsyrae) | 3 comments I might be in, I think I am! Just feeling waffle-y. Could we make our own goodreads group?

message 9: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I feel like a ding a ling, but let me get this challenge straight. We are to read 111 books by next year and add our own personal challenges into the 111 books???

message 10: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (cklueh) I'm a YA snob, too. I read tons of parenting books, though. I'm in, especially if I can count the books I read to my son. Oh, that just made me want to keep track of his seperately! Can Bobo read 111 books by 11/11/11? Uh, yeah, I think so! (I watch way too much Bob the Builder, LOL).

message 11: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Its the personal challenge part that makes me hesitate. I'm not so good at reading anything Non-fiction. I can't focus on it or retain anything. I read an array of fiction so I'm not sure what to test myself with... but I'll give it a shot.

message 12: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Michelle wrote: "Yeah, which would you recommend? I've read a lot of Jane Austen. Little Women is my favorite book. I have read both The Secret Garden and A Little Princess. That is about it for classic literature."

I recommend Charles Dickens first and foremost. His books are slow but incredibly intriguing. I absolutely loved David Copperfield and it is on my top ten of all time list. Jane Austen rocks, especially P&P, Sense and Sensibility, and Emma. I also enjoyed The Scarlet Pimpernel, Gone With the WindThe Iliad & The Odyssey, and everything I've read so far by Alexandre Dumas. There are some really boring ones too, but most people seem to disagree with me on them, so I won't mention it, lol!

message 13: by Hillary (new)

Hillary (eledri) | 24 comments Michelle...fancy meeting you here... :P

I'd agree on the Iliad, The Odyssey, and Gone With the Wind, most def.

I'd also suggest if you want to read classics, reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley , The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald , The Crucible by Arthur Miller , The Scarlet Letter  by Nathaniel Hawthorne . At least those are ones the I could actually make my way through and enjoy. Brave New World is one of the first classics I could not put down. It was my first real taste of dystopian. :D

Classics are a very iffy thing. It really has to be something you find interesting, otherwise you will want to claw your eyes out.

@Becca Have you read The Count of Monte Cristo?

Heidi (yabibliophile) (hmz1505) | 15 comments I'm in! Sounds like fun! I like the idea of having different "stipulations"... makes me think of a scavenger hunt!

message 15: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Hillary wrote: "Michelle...fancy meeting you here... :P

I'd agree on the Iliad, The Odyssey, and Gone With the Wind, most def.

I'd also suggest if you want to read classics, reading [bookcover:Brave New World|..."

Yes I've read the Count. I happen to like the newest movie a tad better than the book, which is very rare for me, but I enjoyed the book immensely despite the long-windedness. Dumas is one of my favorite authors when it comes to classics. Dickens and Austen take the cake for me.

message 16: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (cattymccat) | 95 comments I'd like to steal someone elses challenge. lol It's too hard for me to come up with 100 of my own!

message 17: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments You don't have to make up a list of all 100 books or all your stipulations right now. The fun is discovering books as you go, but you do want to venture out from your typical reads. That's the fun in it.

message 18: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 24 comments This is a great challenge, though I don't think I'll challenge myself in the way others are challenging themselves. I work full time and am full time education so for me just to complete the challenge with any book is a personal challenge.

I also love finding new favourite books.

message 19: by Hillary (new)

Hillary (eledri) | 24 comments That's what has kept me from reading it...the long windedness. I will have to give it a try. :D

message 20: by slowreader (new)

slowreader This is a great idea :) I'll give it a shot, even though I've only been averaging 20-25 books/year...

message 21: by Heidi (new)

Heidi slowreader wrote: "This is a great idea :) I'll give it a shot, even though I've only been averaging 20-25 books/year..."

I love your name! It totally goes with your comment :)

message 22: by Lani (new)

Lani (crahfty) | 253 comments I'm in! And I too will steal some of Becca's great challenge ideas-I'll just view it as we struggle with the same issues, lol

I like the idea of reading a classic once a month. I've had The Catcher in the Rye in my re-read pile forever.

I will also read 5 non-fiction books during the year. This may not seem like much, but I read to escape reality so this will be a challenge for me.

I will also make it a point to read every book my 8 year old has to read. I usually don't read them because I trust my librians and his school (plus he's 8 so we're not into the heavy stuff yet). I have trouble reading his books because they are so simplistic.

I'm hoping with the challenges the 111 won't be hard to attain. I read about 168 books this past year, but that was reading whatever I wanted...

message 23: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Oh I like that you are going to read whatever your son reads! It's a really good habit to get into, even if he isn't into the stuff you enjoy yet. My mom read all the same books as I did and I loved that I could discuss everything with her and bounce ideas off of her. I still do!

Heidi (yabibliophile) (hmz1505) | 15 comments I'm totally borrowing some of these ideas. I also think I'll either give a book I didn't finish another shot or give an author I didn't love another try. As a middle school librarian I'm also going to challenge myself to read the Newbery and Printz winners and honors as well as books from all the YALSA lists. Maybe something with books mentioned on twitter too....still deciding! Love all the ideas :)

Stormi (BMReviewsohmy) (bmreviewsohmy) Sounds interesting and though I might not make it to a hundred it doesn't hurt to try.

I definatly need to try reading more classics, not that I don't like them I just have so many books to read I just don't read them.

Maybe I could read a few biographies or autobiograpies.

Finish or catch up with a series I started but never got past the first one due to just having a lot of books to read..LOL

message 26: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (jessiebz) | 10 comments so i told my bro about this, and he immediately asked me?
- "What's the prize?"
- "Nothing, just the self satisfaction of reading 111 books by 11.11.11."
- [confused look]"ehhhh! No way! I'll do it for some money."

... brothers... (-_-)

Anways, I did the calculations in my head (so that means there is for sure mathematical error lol)
Dividing everything out, I got 2-3 books a week.
Personally i have to take into account school, work, hours of endless homework, family demands, and every unexpected variable that I just have no control over.

I doubt I'll be even near 111. I'll try though, at least for 55 books. One book at a time. I am a little hestitant about venturing off to genres I don't normally take second glances at, but this is a good opportunity.

message 27: by Kara (last edited Oct 13, 2010 01:26PM) (new)

Kara Anderson I want to be in! But 111 books in 13 months... is that 8.5 books a month? 2 books a week? That's as much as a part time job for some of us :) oooh, how can I make that a reality; getting paid part time to read? I like the idea!

Here are some on my list to read:
-The book my husband picked out for me (A war story of course... men)
-A book that is NOT a bestseller
-A childhood favorite I haven't read in at least 15 years

message 28: by Maggie61 (new)

Maggie61 | 5 comments I also am liking that idea. I didn't come onto this site until later in the year, so it was a little late to meet some of the challenges. So I'm in for 111 by 11/11/11 (do we start at the beginning of the year or now? I read somewhere up above to start last weekend). Some of my challenge ideas for me will be
-to read Gone with the Wind - never have - have 3 copies and I'm not really sure how, but I want to read that one
-also to read 4 classics, don't want to aim too high
-I also like idea of 1 adult at least for each young adult book
-and since I have soooo many books still unread, I want to read some of the older ones of the authors I have many of unread like Dean Koontz, Barbara Delinsky, Sandra Brown, Stephen King etc.

message 29: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle (itsmechelly) | 45 comments Read 111 books by 11/11/11?

This sounds cool, I'm in, this is what I need to read faster (I'm such a procrastinator). I'll be honest though, most of the books I'll read for this challenge will be from my TBR list. It's so out of control I need to get rid of it already. But I like some of the lists you guys have already made, like the colors and the classics. I will "read the rainbow" (one book in each color) and 12 classics (one for each month; thank you Becca) and I'll throw in some adult and memoirs too. Happy reading everyone!

message 30: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I love the 'read the rainbow' idea! I'm totally stealing that.

message 31: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle (itsmechelly) | 45 comments Wendy wrote: "I love the 'read the rainbow' idea! I'm totally stealing that."

Steal away, LOL!

message 32: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Oooo! I like it too. Adding that to my list.

message 33: by Traci (new)

Traci aaah I'm working on my own 100 book challenge right now. I have until Christmas Day this year. I just finished my 83rd this morning so I'm doing okay. It's pretty difficult with full-time school, full-time work, family things, and any semblance of a social life.. but it's also really rewarding so I recommend the challenge to anyone :D

message 34: by Joy (new)

Joy Hello! I am new to this forum but think this is a good idea ( I had been searching on the net for some challenge reading lists).

I work fulltime in a small office and am fairly close with everyone in the office but there is alot of diversity.

For inclusion on my list I am going to ask everyone in my office for a reccomended book because I think I will get some really different books that way!

I too like the idea of reading some classics. It would be nice to break up the YA books though I do love them soo much!

message 35: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Tegan that is a great idea about your co-workers. None of mine read, so we would have some issues!

message 36: by Joy (new)

Joy It's actually gone well! someone is bringing in a series of books for me so I don't even have to seek them out at the library

message 37: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Very nice! My only co-worker is a three year old, so I'll probably be reading a lot of Cat in the Hat with him, teehee!

message 38: by Katie (new)

Katie Russell | 16 comments I am in on this challenge. I think I can read that many especially if I read some easy childrens books like magic tree house. I won't count picture books to my kids but maybe I'll count chapter books I read aloud to my second and third grader!

Rachael (pagesofpiper) (piperbunny) I'm in. I've only ever done one challenge before, it's all kinda new to me!

I doubt I'll be able to complete it but I would like to see how close I get. :)

message 40: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (cklueh) R. wrote: "Last year, two librarians posed a challenge: To read 100 books by 10/10/10. I tried, but didn't make it due to various events in my life that infringed on my reading time. But I'd like to revise..."

How often should we update? Do you want us to post a list? If so, should we just update our post each time, so it would be easier to keep track of?

message 41: by Heidi (new)

Heidi My other group has a section for individual readers challenges. This challege has morphed into several different ideas, so perhaps that would be the best way to go since everyone is not doing the same thing???

message 42: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle (itsmechelly) | 45 comments I sent the person who started this challenge a message awhile ago but she never responded so my guess is we're on our own. Unless anybody has seen this challenge posted somewhere else (please let me know). Either way, I'm still doing it. I made a button and a progress bar on my blog for the challenge and so far it's a slow start but I'll catch up (hopefully). I don't know how much reading I will get done with NaNoWriMo coming up.

message 43: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (cklueh) Chelly (Books Like Stars) wrote: "I sent the person who started this challenge a message awhile ago but she never responded so my guess is we're on our own. Unless anybody has seen this challenge posted somewhere else (please let ..."

Well, that sucks, LOL. I really love this idea. I've just made an extra category called YA adult challenge (or something like that) to keep track of the books I've read so far. I don't know if I'll post a list, maybe just link to that bookshelf? We could just update a count on this thread like 40/111 COMPLETE.

As for challenging myself to read something I normally wouldn't... I've read 3 adult books this month!

Rachael (pagesofpiper) (piperbunny) I like the idea of just counting on the thread. So far my total is 4/111. I'm a bit behind because I too have read an adult book which took days to read... but I'm not sure about the whole pushing myself thing... I think 111 books IS pushing myself :)

message 45: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) You guys are good, I'm at 1/111 haha. I'm reading a 1078 page book right now and only about a 1/3 of the way through it. I gotta kick my heiney in gear.

Rachael (pagesofpiper) (piperbunny) Whoa! Good luck with that!

message 47: by Courtney (last edited Oct 27, 2010 01:48PM) (new)

Courtney (cklueh) Ok, I'll go ahead and post my update. I read primarily YA and children's books. I'm only counting the children's books once even though my 2-year-old and I read each at least 5 times per week before we get a new set of books. I'm NOT counting books I read for work or during storytimes (basically b/c that would be way too much to keep track of, lol). I don't normally go into the adult section of the library, so any adult book I read is a challenge.

36/111 COMPLETE (10/27/10)

message 48: by Karyn The Pirate (new)

Karyn The Pirate (krazykaryn) | 1 comments I am in. I need to review what I read this year and then try some I either did not get to or were from a genre I don't normally read.

Rachael (pagesofpiper) (piperbunny) Haha, if I counted all the books I read for storytime, I probably would reach 111 :) Mine will also be purely ones I read for enjoyment and not for work ;)

message 50: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle (itsmechelly) | 45 comments Piper wrote: "I like the idea of just counting on the thread. So far my total is 4/111. I'm a bit behind because I too have read an adult book which took days to read... but I'm not sure about the whole pushin..."

LOL, I'm only at 4 books too!

« previous 1 3