Aussie Readers discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 327 (327 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Well I'm not a Victorian but I saw that the The winners of the 2010 Victorian Premier's Literary Awards were announced recently.
Traditionally held at the close of the Melbourne Writers Festival, the awards came later in the year in 2010.
The dinner was hosted by Keating writer Casey Bennetto, who entertained an amused crowd with short songs--or in the case of the poetry award, with poetry--relating to each prize category. Also getting big laughs from the audience was Peter Temple, winner of the $30,000 Vance Palmer Award for Fiction for Truth (Text), who bemoaned the fact that his winnings were subject to income tax, chided other authors for doing too much thanking and declared that everyone involved with his novel ‘was an impediment to it'.

The full list of winners is:

The Vance Palmer Prize for Fiction ($30,000): Truth (Peter Temple, Text Publishing)
The Nettie Palmer Prize for Nonfiction ($30,000): Reading by Moonlight: How Books Saved a Life (Brenda Walker, Penguin)
The CJ Dennis Prize for Poetry ($15,000): Possession (Anna Kerdijk Nicholson, Five Islands Press)
The Louis Esson Prize for Drama ($15,000): And No More Shall We Part (Tom Holloway, A Bit Of Argy Bargy)
The Prize for Young Adult Fiction ($15,000): Raw Blue (Kirsty Eagar, Penguin)
The Alfred Deakin Prize for an Essay Advancing Public Debate ($15,000): ‘Seeing Truganini' (David Hansen, Australian Book Review)
The Prize for a First Book of History ($15,000, biennial): Becoming African Americans: Black Public Life in Harlem, 1919-1939 (Clare Corbould, Harvard University Press)
The Prize for Indigenous Writing ($15,000, biennial): Legacy (Larissa Behrendt, UQP)
The John Curtain Prize for Journalism ($15,000): Who Killed Mr Ward? (Janine Cohen & Liz Jackson, Four Corners, ABC Television)
The Prize for an Unpublished Manuscript by an Emerging Victorian Writer ($15,000): House of Sticks (Peggy Frew).

P.S. Better luck this weekend with the AFL grandfinal! Go Collingwood and St Kilda.:)

message 2: by Schelle (new)

Schelle | 8 comments GO PIES!!

message 3: by Adele (new)

Adele (turtil) | 169 comments Schelle wrote: "GO PIES!!"
Good Ol' Collingwood For Ever!
Have been a Pies supporter all my life and this is the first grandfinal i got to share with my boyfriend(a fellow pies supporter). it was quite a lovely day.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

pah! aussie rules. go RUGBY!!!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Careful Chelsea you might lose a limb saying that here. :D

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

onya Chelsea mate!! (-:

message 7: by Jem (new)

Jem  (toomanybooksforfaviourates) | 14 comments Ahem. The bulldogs are much better (and not to mention has much less scandal) than the Pies. We've got the flag for next year with our new draft picks!

message 8: by Mandapanda (last edited Oct 31, 2010 03:49PM) (new)

Mandapanda Just wanted to re-post this older message from another thread into the Victoria round-up. It's from group member and author Narrelle.:)

"This month, I released an iPhone app called Melbourne Literary. It’s a guide to everything literary in the great city of Melbourne, inspired by the city’s status as a UNESCO City of Literature.

(Melbourne was declared the second UNESCO City of Literature in 2008 (after Edinburgh. Dublin was recently declared the third!). The honour was bestowed as a result of Melbourne’s long, rich history of writing, publishing and bookselling.)

I’ve created the app with the aim of making it useful whether or not you live in or are visiting Melbourne. Even if you’re not here to see the statues, memorials, bars, events and bookshops, you can still discover Melbourne’s writers and books set in this town. I’ve even included links to all the local bookshops, and to online stores where you can buy the books you read about.

Of course, I’ll be updating the app every 3-6 months with new info – so if any of you know any Melbourne Literary Secrets – great bookshops, memorials and plaques, books set in this city, cool libraries or literary-themed cafes – I’d love to find out more so I can share it with the world at large!"

See Narrelle‘s personal webpage and follow the links to the 'Melbourne Literary App'.

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie (revel-in-reading) Just letting people know about the next meeting for the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (and interested visitors). It will be held at La Notte - a restaurant in Carlton (Melbourne) - on Saturday Feb 12, from 2-5pm. (It is held in a private room out the back.) $25 members, $30 non members. Further info and a contact email address for organising payment can be found at this web address - http://www.scbwiaustralia.org/confere...
Cheers. Julie.

message 10: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments Carmel wrote: "Hi all those in Vic that may be interested in this event in Melb:

Reading Matters Conference
27-28 May
Storey Hall, RMIT Melb Campus
Cost $400
Line up of authors including Cassandra Clar..."

I wish I lived in Vic, well at least in May.

message 11: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 71723 comments Mod
I would love to go too...the $400 and the place are my problems..ha!!

message 12: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Carmel wrote: "Just a few events happening over the next few months in Victoria for those interested:
The State Library of Victoria has an amazing program of exhibitions/guided tours/talks & events/learning prog..."

Carmel, "Cultural Diversity Week is coming up from 19-17th"...is that date supposed to be 10-17th? or something else...?? Sorry, but not sure.;

message 13: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Ha! Happy to be of assistance Carmel ;)

message 14: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Lang (matthewlang) | 143 comments If anyone's heading to Daylesford this weekend for ChillOut! be sure to drop by for some banQuet readings:

Readings from BanQuetpress 2011

Goodreads event link
Chillout Guide link

When: Sat March 12 3:00PM - 5:30PM
Where: Horvat’s WINE Bar, Shop 6, Howe Street, Daylesford, VIC, AU

A feast of new writing and art by Australian queer men and women. Sassy, edgy protagonists shove the boundaries of sexuality, gender and convention in tales of desire, daring, unlikely couplings, jealousy and impending erotic catastrophes.A literary social event that celebrates the talents of Australian queer writers and offers thought- provoking, entertaining and smile-inducing snapshots of what it is like to be a queer person in urban and regional Australia. The anthologies incorporate works by local writers/ artists.

Presented by banQuetpress. Finger food provided. Anthologies available for purchase.

$15/$10 concession includes a donation to the Alannah and Madeline eSmart initiative.

Bookings essential: email banquetpress@optusnet.com.au

message 15: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Lang (matthewlang) | 143 comments Thanks Carmel,

I'll do my best to keep you posted, but I have to admit I'm not quite as plugged in as I'd like to be--I tend to miss things. But I'll certainly post what I do know about!

M

message 16: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Lang (matthewlang) | 143 comments Posted elsewhere on the site, but:

Hey everyone! If you're in or around Victoria at the end of April check out the Williamstown Literary Festival, which runs from the 29th April to the 1st of May.

The festival includes a series of pre-festival events from Tuesday 26 April, including the popular People's Choice at the Pirates Tavern on the evening of Thursday 28 April.

message 17: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Here's an article on The Children's Book Festival on 3rd April, at the State Library of Victoria for those interested...

http://wheelercentre.com/calendar/eve...

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4299 comments In Melb Supanova Pop Culture Expo will be happening!!
April 8-10
Melbourne Showgrounds

http://www.supanova.com.au/

Great for people interested in Anime/comics/gaming/movies/tv and more!!

message 19: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Laura wrote: "In Melb Supanova Pop Culture Expo will be happening!!
April 8-10
Melbourne Showgrounds

Great for people interested in Anime/comics/gaming/movies/tv and more!!"

Great Laura, thanks..:)

message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) Laura wrote: "In Melb Supanova Pop Culture Expo will be happening!!
April 8-10
Melbourne Showgrounds

Great for people interested in Anime/comics/gaming/movies/tv and more!!"

I wish i could go, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost :)

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4299 comments I wanna go ._____.

message 22: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Laura wrote: "I wanna go ._____."

Poor Laura...it's only just over the ocean!!;)

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4299 comments Yeaaa it is! But only when I might have a job so buuuuhhhhooo .____. One year!!

message 24: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Laura wrote: "Yeaaa it is! But only when I might have a job so buuuuhhhhooo .____. One year!!"

Hahaha!!!! :D

message 25: by Davina (new)

Davina | 154 comments Hi all went to the childrens book festival at the state library on Sunday. It was their first one and there was plenty of room for improvement. If it wasn't for Mem Fox I'd say we would of hated it. We stopped by to see Bob Graham do story telling problem was he didn't read a book he lost Bianca's interest in 5 minutes which was easy to do considering they had the authors shoved in the corner of a fairly large room along with the colouring in tables and two shelves with books on it. You couldn't get to the books due to the colouring tables and all Bianca wanted to do was find books because she was at a library. It was advertised as on the lawns of the state library and the only thing book related outside were the authors signings which we didn't get to because they clashed with other things I thought the Bianca would be more interested in and a make your own story book far away from everything which we found as we were leaving and they were packing up. It was called the book cubby and I actually thought they would have books for sale of the presenting authors in there as I wanted to get Bianca a book, they didn't. You could buy books from the library bookshop though. Bianca did like the Drop bear theatre which performed "the magic hat" not once but about 4 times each in there own unique style, it dragged on just a little to long for some people who got up and left. As we were linig up for the show they walked characters like Spot and some cat through it was only slightly mayhem. I can't comment on the workshops or the meet the author/illustrator as we thought they would be targeting an older audience. Access with a pram was a nightmare but it would have been worse with a baby that had nowhere to sleep. Mem Fox was awesome as always she read 5 books Possum MagicWhere Is the Green Sheep?The Magic Hat Let's Count Goats!and the new one released that day "The Little Dragon". Awesome art by Roland Harvey. It is definitely on my want list for the girls. Sorry if I sound a bit harsh I was a little tired that day due to being up at 5.30 children don't do the change from daylight savings well. I'd have to seriously think about whether I'd go next year or wait a couple of years till they get the kinks out.

message 26: by Davina (new)

Davina | 154 comments My husband said I should. But I tend to write how I speak so I'm not really sure whether my criticism would be considered constructive or just criticism . Did you have a good weekend?

message 27: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Mem Fox is awesome, isn't she! Always has been, always will be. Glad she 'saved the day' for you though. I agree with Carmel that you should let the organisers know. If no-one does that, and they think all went well, and do the same next year..no-one will end up attending. Up to you Davina...:)

message 28: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Carmel wrote: "Davina wrote: "My husband said I should. But I tend to write how I speak so I'm not really sure whether my criticism would be considered constructive or just criticism . Did you have a good weekend..."

Great Carmel, can't wait to see/read about it all!! So glad you enjoyed your weekend with the family as well!! :)

message 29: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Carmel wrote: "Thanks Brenda, yeah it was great! Having birthday cake tonight for Sheldon's birthday (which was on Sat) at my sister's where Mum & Dad are staying til Thurs:)"

Oh nice!!! Wish Sheldon a happy birthday from R & I please Carmel!! Hope she had a lovely day, and hope you all have a lovely night. :)

message 30: by Davina (new)

Davina | 154 comments I've had a hot and a miss and a home run for family activities this week. The book festival was a disappointment but Werribee zoo little zoo lepers was top notch. She got to pay a snake, possum, and lizard feed the meerkats worms and fed the giraffes. Anyone with franks, kids or nieces or nephews this is fantastic. Way to go Victorian zoos.

message 31: by Davina (new)

Davina | 154 comments Last time I use my phone to post to hard to check what I've written before I post and that last post had too many mistakes.

message 32: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Davina wrote: "I've had a hot and a miss and a home run for family activities this week. The book festival was a disappointment but Werribee zoo little zoo lepers was top notch. She got to pay a snake, possum, an..."

Um! Easy to read Davina....lol

message 33: by Adele (new)

Adele (turtil) | 169 comments Carmel wrote: "For those interested in anything Eygptian, head on down to see King Tut in all of his splendour at the Melbourne Museum for the next few months.

http://www.kingtutmelbourne.com.au/"

I can't wait to go.. I've been hanging out to see it. And now i don't have enough time at the moment. GRRRR. I have to wait until May.

message 34: by Julie (new)

Julie (revel-in-reading) I was hoping to get to the State Library do on the weekend but my daughter wasn't keen. Now I'm not so disappointed to have missed it. Thanks for the description, Davina! I visited their exhibition about children's book illustrations a couple of weeks ago, and that was terrific. The only downside was that there were school groups going through at the same time, and their noise drowned out the audio-visual display. I filled in a feedback form afterwards, and was contacted by email after that with an e-feeback survey. The library staff seemed very keen on feedback, so I would also encourage you to share your thoughts with the folk at the Library, Davina. Especially since it was their first try at this event. I reckon they'd be very keen to make improvements.
Regards, Julie.

message 35: by Davina (new)

Davina | 154 comments Julie wrote: "I was hoping to get to the State Library do on the weekend but my daughter wasn't keen. Now I'm not so disappointed to have missed it. Thanks for the description, Davina! I visited their exhibition..."

Thanks Julie I think I might.

message 36: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Wow! Sounds awesome Carmel!! Would love to be there..there are so many activities for all ages, plus yummy food stalls, and best of all, a Second Hand Book Sale!!! Fun, fun, fun!!!!

message 37: by Davina (new)

Davina | 154 comments Some of those things look great Carmel but we are all planned out already. I'll keep it in mind for next year though.

message 38: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessuu) Clunes Back to Booktown weekend is coming up, May 14-15.

"Indulge in a weekend of book browsing amid the historic streetscape of Clunes. Thousands of rare second-hand and collectable books on sale. Free Writers' Talks , street theatre, the Australia Fair Grand Concert Street Organ, wine, food, live music. A special Children's Booktown section and great opportunities to engage with the guest writers in small groups.

A Town full of books! Seven permanent bookshops and seven other shops with books as part of their stock mix are joined by 60 booktraders from Victoria, NSW and Tasmania in a book extravaganza."

Hopefully I'll be able to go again this year, it's always a great day out.

message 39: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Ohh, sounds awesome Jess!!!

message 40: by Iris (new)

Iris Blobel (iris-b) | 127 comments @Brenda .... convinced hubby to try and go past Bendigo on our way back

@Jess .... can only recommend Clunes. I had a great day out there last year and with all the talks it was full of info !!! it's just up the road from us

message 41: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

That's great Iris!! I hope you have lots of time to enjoy it all...I love Bendigo, so even tho we can't go this Easter, we will try for next year!!!

message 42: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Lang (matthewlang) | 143 comments Thanks Carmel. It's this Thursday and should be an interesting night. If anyone wants to come and join me (either on stage or just in the audience), you can get tickets here.

Tickets should still be available on the door. If anyone's planning on coming along, send me a message here or via my website and I'll get in touch when I'm there. Or you can find me on twitter--I'll tweet the table I'm on once I get into the venue :)

message 43: by Iris (new)

Iris Blobel (iris-b) | 127 comments sorry guys didn't make it to bendigo. trip was cut short by my daughter having a small accident -

message 44: by Iris (new)

Iris Blobel (iris-b) | 127 comments isn't the weather just outstanding !!!!

Little one's ok. her little toes didn't like the close encounter with the camp fire :-)

message 45: by Iris (new)

Iris Blobel (iris-b) | 127 comments she's doing much better !!!!! up and running and enjoying first day back at school :-)

message 46: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Lang (matthewlang) | 143 comments Not sure how I did it, but I took out first place in the Willy Lit Fest's People's Choice night with a little Suessical-esque piece called Raisins and Cheese.

I was considering turning it into a picture book for adults, and I may just go explore that idea now. :D

Matt

message 47: by Iris (new)

Iris Blobel (iris-b) | 127 comments well done matthew !!!!!

message 48: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Lang (matthewlang) | 143 comments Thanks Carmel and Iris. Was a lot of fun--there were still two slots open for prose though, so more people could have entered. The final score was separated by only one vote too. :)

message 49: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Lang (matthewlang) | 143 comments $100 :)

message 50: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Lang (matthewlang) | 143 comments A bit yeah. I met some friends of friends and chatted to some of the other authors and patrons about book stuff. I think at least one of them wanted to get a copy, and if I'm lucky some of them may come to the launch in May.

Fingers crossed, anyway.

Matt

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7