Rothfussians discussion

Welcome Rothfussians > OT- "It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are." What's yours?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 144 (144 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Mary, Minion the 1st, Chancellor (new)

Mary (mary_believes_in_faeries) | 142 comments Mod
I am a 30 year old happily married mother of 1.5. (Wonderful 10 year old son and rotten Maine Coon kitten named Duncan McLeod) I work as a children’s librarian and spend my days handing out internet passes, answering reference questions, and planning/implementing programs for children and families. I spend my weekends reading, console gaming, and watching movies with my family. I love to read with a heavy emphasis on fantasy and all things Jane Austen. I also like to obsess about Pat’s Magnificent Beard and hang out in his space. http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/blog/b...

Current favorite book: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
Displaced favorite: If I Pay Thee Not in Gold by Piers Anthony (Don’t judge me!)
Not in the same category: Persuasion by Jane Austen

Last movie I watched: Emma (Miramax, 1995)
Last game I played: Wii Fit- so sore!
Favorite games: Mass Effect, Fable, Oblivion, Overlord, Star Wars KOTOR I & 2, Portal

I believe in faeries and aliens. Aliens are the bad guys. ;-)>

message 2: by Branka (new)

Branka (taiyo) | 11 comments Ok, here I go. To begin with I must apology for may rusted english, It's been a while since I used active english :blush:

I'm a 29 old/young (still) a girl, happily in love. I have a daughter - six years old, she is so beautiful, she is going to school in autumn, and I'm quite sad because off that. My masters are three cats, one old and fat with copper eyes, one old, skinny cat with evil look, and the third one is a boy, fat one and a little stupid, but I love him the same. I work in Slovenian Cinematheque as editor off a film magazine, I like my job, but I always think that I'm to strict with my writers - they don't confess that (just kidding, they are the best of the best). In my free time I'm trying to write stories and reviews, I love cinema...And I read a lot, and sleep a lot...and...

Current favorite book: O my...this is cruel, I have a whole pile in books that I love.

Last movie I watched: Machine Girl (Japan, 2008)
Last game I played: TrackMania Forever (I suck :/)

I don't play a lot of computer games, I'm more a table games/cards fan...

Faeries - my boyfriend sometimes think that I'm a faerie, he is claiming that this is because of my ears, because they are a little pointy, but I think that the real reason is my coldness...You must realize till now, that I'm quite a joker. I like to make people smile ;)

But at the end, I still bellive, that I'm alien, dropped on Earth by mistake ;)

message 3: by edifanob (new)

edifanob | 18 comments @Mary and @Branka,

thank you for your stories. I'm still busy in Italy. But today I go home.

So expect my story tomorrow (Saturday 12th. July)

message 4: by edifanob (new)

edifanob | 18 comments @Branka,

if your English is rusty than my English is bumpy and coarse :-)) :-))

In the meantime a read a lot of comments at Goodreads from none native English speakers.

And to be honest most of the time none native English speakers (including myself) apologise for their - rusty, limited, bad or whatever attribute -
English.

We underestimate ourselves.

In the beginning I was afraid to make too many mistakes. Now I write what I think and I ask people to tell me in case I make mistakes or they don't understand what I tried to say.

Even if you do learn to speak correct English,
whom are you going to speak it to?
Clarence Darrow
US defense lawyer (1857 - 1938)

message 5: by edifanob (new)

edifanob | 18 comments First of all it's now 1:20 a.m. on Sunday 12th of July. My wife has finished her PC stuff (blogs, mails and so on) and I can start to write my story.
Somewhat later than promised but I hope you will forgive me :-)

So you start with gender and age.....
QUestions concerning gender and age always remembers me When I'm sixty four by The Beatles:
"When I get olderlosing my hair many years from now..."

OK I try to turn the corner....

I'm 48 (10 days to go to my birthday 23rd of July) young/old happily married guy and father of a 16 years old daughter. And we all three share our life with two crazy cats - a tomcat called Pablo and a she-cat called Lili. Please look at:
http://legolasperlenuniversum.blogspo...

Since 1991 I work as a programmer for the German subsidiary of a Japanese company. In the meantime I 'm member of the European IT of the company. So from time to time I visit other subsidiaries in order to work together with my European colleagues.

I like to read fantasy, sleuth, steampunk, mystery and also other if they are interesting...
But mostly I read fantasy and mystery.

Beside reading I like
- to visit medieval fairs and markets
- hear music (olides from the sixties, pagan-metal, gothic, and mor)
- play games on PC, PS2, Wii

Since I'm member of Goodreads I had to stop playing because my time is limited.

Favourite games
PS2: Final Fantasy series
WII: Zelda, Super Mario Galaxy, I wait for Lego Indiana Jones..
PC: The Witcher, Oblivion, Morrowind, Anno 1702

Last movies I watched: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull , Nim's Island

I wait for: X-Files: I want to believe, Hellboy II: The Golden Army, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Current favorite book: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (150 pages left..)

Beside this group I'm also member of The Mystery of Victiorian England. We read books of Anne Perry.

My favourite town is London. 2007 my wife and I spent one week in London. We will go again for two weeks in 2009.

I also like to go shopping. My wife likes it.

My picture shows a female archer. I have a tattoo of this archer on my left calf.

In former times I was a shy boy and I was used to give one word answers: YES, NO, MAYBE. Nowadays I like to communicate. Some times I feel like a chatterbox. So if you are interested in send me a message.

My profile name has a deeper meaning.
When you read it backwards you get Bona Fide which means:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_faith

Ah, I forgot to mention: I'm a fan of quotes

You will never be alone with a poet in your pocket.

John Adams, Instructions to his son Johnny in the biography "John Adams" by David McCullough (p. 19)
US diplomat & politician (1735 - 1826)

Thank you for reading my story so far.

I will come to an end and let you go to write your own story....

message 6: by Branka (new)

Branka (taiyo) | 11 comments @Edifanob, thanks for the praises :)

I have a tattoo also, I have a tribal tattoo with two snakes, the culprit is Michael Andreas Helmuth Ende and his story The Neverending Story (Die unendliche Geschichte), I just love this book, one of my first fantasy books. Published in 1979, the same year of my birth, and my tattoo represent talisman AURYN.

"Do what thou wilt." ;)

message 7: by edifanob (last edited Jul 20, 2008 08:47AM) (new)

edifanob | 18 comments @Branka,

everyone who writes a story deserve praises :)

When I look at the stories so far a song from Pink Floyd comes in my mind:

IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE?

For me, words are a form of action, capable of influencing change.
Ingrid Bengis

message 8: by Sliefoxx (new)

Sliefoxx | 4 comments I am a 20-year-old college student who fears everything to come. I'm an extroverted introvert. Or maybe I'm an introverted extrovert. I forget which (which says a little about my memory). I'm not sure who I am yet. I'm a little honest, a little selfish, a little caring and a little scared. I am who you think I am, and so I can't really tell you my story in a way that will let you see me.

I was born in California, when I turned 8 we moved between Cali and Indiana for several years before getting stuck in Indiana for the next 6. I hope to be a copy-editor after college.

I used to mostly read fantasy books but that's expanded to manga and fanfiction.

Current Favorite Book: House of Leaves

Last movie I watched: Australia (2008)
Last game I played: Final Fantasy VII
Favorite games: Kingdom Hearts II, Tetris, Be-Jeweled

message 9: by Tim (new)

Tim | 8 comments Hi, I'm a 27 year old New Zealander. I like peanut butter and banana sandwiches, I haven't got a driver's license and last summer I danced the macarena at a Karaoke bar.
Oh, and I read fantasy books, and loved TNOTW.
And the fact that Patrick's signed up as a member here... Sweeeeeet!

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 21 comments I'm a 47 year old product manager for a software company. I'm the wife of a fantasy author Michael Sullivan (See Signature). I started reading fantasy as most with LOTR and Hobbit then C.S. Lewis - back at that time there was not a lot else to read - until the Tolkien rip off artists came along and that soured me to the genre a bit.

I've been getting "back into the genre" for obvious reasons. Was newly awakened to it with Harry Potter and was glad to see a "fun" book. I am looking for "new fresh" takes which mix in elements of traditional fantasy so things like Name of the Wind and Mistborn are highly appealing to me.

That's about all I can think of for now.

--
Wife of fantasy author: Michael J. Sullivan
The Crown Conspiracy (Oct 2008) | Avempartha (April 2009)
Reviews: Fantasy Book Critic | Odysssey | Amazon | MidWest Book Review | Huntress Reviews

message 11: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 21 comments Welcome! Not much activity in this group lately, but I think it's because we're all waiting with bated breath...and I just realized that I've been in this group for quite some time and I've never introduced myself.
I'm Kelsey. I just turned 22 yesterday. I'm from a tiny town in Wisconsin and I'm currently living in California for college (I go to CSUN and I'm a Deaf Studies major). I'm also a manager at Barnes and Noble and I'm a book fiend, so much so that I'm starting to think I might need meetings. My apartment is entirely too small to hold all the books I'm constantly buying...

message 12: by Ron (new)

Ron | 12 comments Fifty-year-old self-employed painter and writer living in rural Hanover County, Virginia (north of Richmond). Retired veteran of thirty years service in the USAF.

message 13: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (kurosymph) | 29 comments I'm a 15-year old French, who likes to read Fantasy&Sci-Fi, urban fantasy, alternative history novels...

I also draw ( see on the left), listen to Symphonic metal, read Vampire Knight for the amazing drawings and One Piece for the Awesome...

Favorite Book: changes fairly often, for now its Changes (The Dresden Files, #12) by Jim Butcher Changes by Jim Butcher but we'll see after The wise Man's fear...

Last Movie I watched: The Silence of the Lambs ...

Last Game I Played: Spirit Trcks (Zelda Ds)

My story would be 'I don't know who I am and why I'm doing everything I do...

message 14: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) I'm a no good bum who spends all my time reading and in my own little world inside my head. Loved both Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear and through reading Rothfuss' blog I find myself admiring the man. Also, I've listened to one interview he's done and it made me respect him about a million times more. I don't know why I never found this group before, but after reading WMF I had to find more people to talk to about the books so here I am!

message 15: by Tom (new)

Tom Harrington I'm a 61 year old guy, a retired real estate appraiser (now trying to be a photographer) in New Mexico, and have, after reading The Hobbit and LOTR many times over the years, decided to search out other epic fantasies to enjoy. For some unknown reason, I really love trilogies, especially long, involved, detailed works. I stumbled onto Patrick's works on Amazon, read the reviews of NOTW and Wise Man's Fear and couldn't load them onto my Kindle fast enough. I am so glad I did! Damn, but these are incredible books. Seemed to me that NOTW started a bit too slow for my tastes, but I hung in there and could say after about ten chapters that I was irrevocably hooked. I am eagerly anticipating the release of Book Three. When that happens, I will immediately re-read books 1 and 2 first. I only hope Book Three is released before I kick!

I always loved reading but never made enough time for it through the years - something I deeply regret. Tolkien was about all I read in this genre. I was heavily into authors like Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler and Robert Ludlum for many years. Now, after reading these two books by Patrick, I am searching for and reading more of the epic fantasy genre, and enjoying every minute of it.

message 16: by Emma (new)

Emma | 25 comments Hi everybody, I just joined Goodreads looking for people willing to discuss Mr Kingkiller :D. (Actually, I googled my pet theory (mother Lackless), assuming that would be the fastest way to find the right kind of place.)

Have never been able to pick a favourite book but am re-reading WMF for the moment. Last game I played was a silly little boardgame I'm developing with some friends. I'm 31, a Swede and have yet to figure out exactly what my job is about.

Gonna check out the threads now, see you all there!

message 17: by Susan (last edited May 21, 2011 02:03PM) (new)

Susan | 202 comments Wow. Haha, I feel very, very, very young.
I'm Campbell, as you can see from the name stated above, and I am merely 13 years old. I'm from America. And have lived in the same house since I was born. I can walk to my library, the movie theatre, and there's a huge feild nearby where I can do whatever the heck I want. As you might have gathered, I live in a small town.
I've played soccer since I was four years old, and I've been an obsessive reader for quite a long time as well. I'm a straight A student, and am overly devoted to my schoolwork, more so than is healthy.

My favorite books would have to be The Kingkiller Chronicles and Chaos Walking Trilogy.

I love to excersise, because I can't stand feeling lazy. The furthest I've run was 9 miles stright. And today I biked four miles, ran three, and swam one third.

The last movie I've watched? I'm watching it now: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. (GO SNUFFLES! Or... Sirius Black... Whatever you'd rather call him.))
The Last book I've read? Um... Angel: Maximum Ride #7 (Eh... It was okay.)
Book I'm currently reading: The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod: Eigth Grade Sucks (I really wish the writing was better. The story's... Fine. But it really isn't that great.)

I like books written for adults rather than those written for my age group. The Painted Man is another trilogy I like, I'm still waiting for the third book though.

I believe in stories. Stories are all real, because if they've been told, they've been heard, and remembered, and therefore brought into existence.

Dangerous Romance Book Reviews (dangerousromance) | 14 comments Mary wrote: "I am a 30 year old happily married mother of 1.5. (Wonderful 10 year old son and rotten Maine Coon kitten named Duncan McLeod) I work as a children’s librarian and spend my days handing out interne..."
Mary, what a lovely introduction letter. I give you a big thank you for being a Librarian. I worry that in the future, digital books will replace libraries and if that happens it will break my heart as I literally grew up in my small town library, reading everything I could get my hands on, after school. The library was my babysitter, the librarians my Nanny's.
Branka, your life sounds beautiful and your english is lovely. I'm jealous that you are multi lingual. How cool, to run a film magazine is awesome. And I like to think we are all a little Fae.

message 19: by Michele (new)

Michele | 31 comments I’m 42 years old. I’m a K-5 school librarian in the U.S. I love to read, mostly fantasy and children’s lit. I’m the mother of a 13 year old and an almost 16 year old. The 16 year old is driving me crazy talking endlessly about Glee. I love hiking, but my kids aren’t crazy about it. I enjoy scrapbooking, but I’ve not worked on a book in several years.

My very first favorite book was Madeline when I was four years old. When I was 13, my favorite book was Gone With the Wind. When I was in college, my favorite book was The Mill on the Floss. In grad school, my favorite book was A Room of One's Own. I read all the Jane Austen books while I was living (for only a few short months) in England. I love them and have a collection of the various editions of print and film “Pride and Prejudice.” I only really discovered fantasy when I read Harry Potter as a preview for my daughter who was then in 2nd grade. I’ve been a huge HP fan ever since. My fav fantasy books are both the Rothfuss books, and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. I’m currently reading a kids’ book: Heart of a Samurai.

The last movie I saw was the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie…family movie night.

We have a pet guinea pig. His name is Zeus. He is kind like my crabby grandfather. He tries to eat my clothes and the furniture, only makes a very loud squeal when we eat dinner. Our first guinea pig was named Fluffy and he was friendly and pleasant.

The last game I played was probably UNO. It is the only game my family plays regularly. I supervise library games at school, but even I don't think those count. I sometimes play Scrabble on my phone because no one wants to sit down and play it with me!

My favorite quotes/beliefs are:

~“Follow your bliss" (Joseph Campbell)

~“Be the change you want to see in the world” (Ghandi)

~"Art is the lie that tells the truth." (Picasso)

message 20: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 09, 2011 06:51AM) (new)

I'm a 53 year old father of 2 teenagers. My description for my career is "Engineer by training, Carpenter by accident'. When my wife and I got married we couldn't afford nice furniture, so I just started making it myself.

I've worked in defense, heavy equipment, automotive, automation equipment, and consumer products industries. I love engineering as a profession because in 25 years I have NEVER been bored.

I'm a dedicated husband and father, and I try to stay on good terms with the rest of my far-flung family - even the ones that have become conspiracy theorists, Ghost Hunters, and Tea Party supporters.

I have several guilty pleasures that I'll confess to right now- as much as I'm ashamed of them: I like watching "Ghost Adventures" even though I know it's stupid, when I get the chance I'll sit through an episode of Star Trek (TOS)even though I've seen it 100 times, I loved watching cartoons with my kids when they were little tykes, I drink WAY more Star Bucks coffee than I should, and I really wanted to get our dog for our family more than my kids did - I just won't let them know that.

I take my kids to a movie every Friday night, I do 150 mile fundraising bike rides for MS and Leukemia research, I'm making my kids their own furniture so they'll be set when they move out, and at my age I still go to the dojo 3 times a week to practice jujutsu, kenjutsu, and karate.

I loved reading the Kingkiller Chronicles because of the depth of the world that Pat Rothfuss created in telling this story.

That's my story - I hate being bored.

message 21: by John (new)

John (gigalew) | 3 comments Hello all. Nice to read your stories. We have a very varied group here, not the normal riot of fanboys I usually meet in such places.

Well I am a 38 year old married man that lives with 3 labs: Bella, Lucy and Samwise, and a cat named Bilbo.

I am a great lover of sci-fi/fantasy because I grow very bored with stories that could actually happen.

I live in Allentown PA, and I sell insurance for a living. In my job, I'm in the car driving to clients houses all day, every day. Audiobooks are killer for me and I have memberships that net me 5 audiobooks per month, and I borrow a couple from my local library every month as well. When I'm not driving around, im reading on my kindle, or playing games online.

I read The Hobbit when I was 5, and had to have my mother read me Lord of the rings, as it was a bit too advanced for me at that point. Since they were her books in the first place I think the love of fantasy novels may be genetic.

I just gifted my mother The Name of The Wind, and told her: This is the best fantasy novel of the last ten years.

I mean that. Much love to Patrick Rothfuss.

If I could change one trivial thing about the world: I would force all of my favorite authors to stop with the 800 page books. The wait kills me. I would much rather buy a 200 page book every year than have to wait 5 years between books. Better yet an online serial would just about rule the world.

Good Reading to you all!

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_b32) | 1 comments Hello!
I thought since I've been hanging around for a bit I should at least introduce myself.

My name is Sarah and I'm 29 (almost 30) years old. This year, in April, I gave birth to my first child(a boy), and during my pregnancy is when I found these books!

I was recently laid off from my job, so any escape from the stress is needed. I usually read long epic novels. My life-long favs are the
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien series(and The Hobbit), but I'm open to lots of others.

I read all sorts of genres because I love to read, it's how I de-stress from my day.

Other than reading I love to play video games and often get the smaller indie games from Steam before getting the more expensive ones. I think they are both more fun and more challenging.

message 23: by Ian (new)

Ian | 1 comments Hello all,

Fairly new to the goodreads community having signed up a while ago but only now beginning to use it.

My name is Ian, I am 23 years old and am currently a law student in Boston. I read to escape the monotony of case books and as such for the past year or so have been drawn to the fantasy genre. I wouldn't describe my reading tastes as limited to fantasy nor would I describe them as especially eclectic but rather I tend to read what interests me at the time.

After watching the first episode of the Game of Thrones series and being somewhat impatient, instead of following the series along I read the SOIAF series over the next few weeks and that sparked my current interest in the fantasy genre. From there I discovered The Name of the Wind and subsequently Wise Man's Fear.

Of all the recent fantasy novels I have read I would rate The Kingkiller Chronicles as my favorite not only for the depth and intimacy of the world but also for the lyrical quality of the writing.

As for favorite books, it would be a close battle between The Kingkiller Chronicles and Shantaram. Drastically different stories and genres but they share beauty in the writing.

Other than that I don't have much to add except that I am in the same boat as everyone else, anxiously waiting for The Doors of Stone. If anyone wants to chat about the books etc, I am open to having just re-read the KKC and I enjoy discussing theories relating to the books.

message 24: by Amber, Master Sympathist (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 1471 comments Mod
This looks fun and I'm immensely bored right now so....

I've been trolling the boards for a couple months now, I'm sure most regulars hate my constant use the word postulate, so I figured I could introduce myself.

My name is Amber (obviously) I'm 25 years old and live in Corning, CA which has an approximate occupany of 7000. Its small but not too small - just enough to be enjoyable. I work as an accountant and usually listen to audiobooks all day long. I have a general tendency to over-analyze things and be extemely critical. Which is mostly why I find KKC so enjoyable. Its fun to over-analyze and Pat doesnt make annoying subtle mistakes that only 5 people who ever read the novel noticed...lol

In my free time I like to do a ton of things, I really "over-hobby" myself as well as over-analyze...

I paint and draw, read, longboard, sing, play MTG and D&D, Console and PC game as well. I really enjoy gardening and have a couple different gardens in my yard including, veggie, herb, and flower. (I guess thats really a few, not a couple) In between doing all that I do the usual cleaning and cooking. I love to read books aloud to my boyfriend of 8 years as well and discuss the symantics of novels over our meals. He is my best friend, we met in highschool.
(so dont ever tell kids it wont last - sometimes they arent total dumbasses)

I also have two dogs, one is a lhaso apso with a cripple leg and my other is just a cow dog mut that is way to smart for his own good. (He literally knows over 30 commands)

I also love to watch sci fi and fantasy movies and tv shows. Seen every episode of Stargate SG1. (that just felt like an accomplishment for some reason)Also own SyFy's version of Earthsea which I thought included just about the most original villian ever witnessed on tv. (The Gibbeth) I also enjoy arguing about comic book superheros and who would win against who, even though I secretly think Darth Vader would kill all of them...

My favorite movie is probably The Prestige...since it was actually original and freaked me out for approximately a month afterward. (actually I'm still pretty freaked out by it)

I'm not sure I have a favorite book. I like a lot of them a good deal. The book I most recently read and enjoyed enough to tell people to read (beside KKC) was Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon...it was sort of the shit.

Thats all I can think to say...so yah....overview of my life. Its sort of small, but I'm enjoying it.

message 25: by Bex (last edited Jul 10, 2012 05:15PM) (new)

Bex (RidingTheWavesofStorms) | 1 comments I'm 20 years old, reading Psychology at university. I've moved around a lot and find different cultures fascinating. As for what I want to do, who knows, I have many dreams, being a writer is one of them, though I am entertaining the idea of entering teaching.

Last film I watched: New Police Story (2004).

Last game I played: Assassin's Creed Revelations. - Though I did find my old Gameboy Advance and Colour and start playing a couple of games on thmt the other day.

Favourite book (series): This is where it gets tricky I have a top three that never changes aside from when one of the series in the top three moves. They are: The Kingkiller Chronicles, The Black Magician Trilogy and The Chronicles of the Necromancer/The Fallen Kings Cycle.

message 26: by Aleix (new)

Aleix Grau | 1 comments Hi to all!

This is the first group I joined since I registered in goodreads. I'ts kinda fun this website. Let's get to the presentation.

I'm a 21 year old physical therapist student from Barcelona. I really like reading, specially since i bought my ebook reader a fer months ago, now I can read everywhere I wanted but couldn't.

My favourite books are: The name of the wind,Wise man's fear, Utopia (Lincoln Child) and Zig Zag.

I'm always looking for more interesting books I didn't know about, and I think this website will really help me in this matter.

I really love gaming too, though I like games that have an interesting story behind it like Mass Effect series, Dragon Age. (the one's I recently played.)

message 27: by Ancapaillmor (new)

Ancapaillmor | 76 comments I'm 36, irish, ginger(probably why i like kvothe and can understand his anger sometimes). People call me horse, hence the user name An(The) Capaill(horse) Mor(big), translated from irish its "The Big Horse".

Love books, go through 1 maybe 2 a week depending on how good they are. I work with computers and live them basically, got a PS3, xbox, PC(custom built), tablet, android phone and laptop, so i'm a massive gamer, currently playing the sh1t out of dark souls, BF3 and skyrim.

Found this place through reddit and my search for theories and answers, love the books, got most of the guys in work reading them and my brothers and sisters.

message 28: by Amber, Master Sympathist (new)

WOOT - Gamers Unite.

I just bought and have been playing The Secret World for PC, its an MMO and I have to say I really like it. You should check it out if you are into that sort of gaming. I personally think its way better than main stream shit like WOW/GW and its not overpopped with 12 year olds. Great Urban Fantasy setting, awesome graphics (the street signs seriously look real) lots of fun stuff and actually pretty challenging.

Outside of that...freakin' love Elder Scrolls! I heard Pat has been thinking of writing a story for a video game as well. (But I've heard he's interested in writing in tons of different media, so who knows if he will)

message 29: by Ancapaillmor (new)

Ancapaillmor | 76 comments Staying away from mmo's, lost too many friends to them and I know I'd get hooked. Although one mate meet his wife on wow. Elder scrolls is great, especially with Modding community out there.

message 30: by Amber, Master Sympathist (new)

they can be addicting, but are really fun and you can make them social. I have lan parties at my house all the time. My friends and I all play the same MMO's so it works out great for us. I do have my limits though. I never get on any video game unless I have all my chores done, gotta have boundaries man.

I love Elder Scrolls games, they are going to release an MMO next year I guess....we'll see how long you can hold out on that :P

I've been hoping they'd release one for a while now so I'm stoked. I like to game with my friends so, it was an aspect from the other games I missed when I played them. I also have to switch off hours with the boyfriend when we play a console game like that...which totally blows.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Well I'm Lynne, a medical/pharma/legal translator, living in the foothills of the Pyrenees in south-west France with my husband John and our black Labrador Chloé.

I love reading, of course, and I really love Goodreads. What a wonderful selection of books I've come across. I've got rather a pile to read at the moment and one of those is "The Name of the Wind". I love the cover and the story.

I love star-gazing as it gives me inspiration and I'm thrilled with the telescope. I also love photography and often go out on rambles looking for different shots. Nature is fabulous here and now with the changing seasons, it's delightful.

C'est une petite histoire...

message 32: by Amber, Master Sympathist (new)

I'll have to check out Angry Joe - havent seen him yet.

I usually dont watch many reviews unless I intend on purchasing a game thats already out - but then I usually just get a hodgepodge of sometimes weirdness - so it definitely helps to know a place to get legit reviews.

I love Elder Scrolls - out of what you mentioned - I'm dieing for the MMO to be released. *sigh*

And I agree about the writing - it definitely helps with settings, and since I love worldbuilding, I find those aspects of games very engaging. Cant wait to see you around the board!

And lastly - Hi Lynne! Welcome!

message 33: by Roberto (last edited Jan 03, 2013 06:03AM) (new)

Roberto (kote) | 2 comments First of all, please don't tell my mom I joined, she would be terribly disappointed in me for joining a gang, even more so one with "The Rothfussians" name.

I'm a 32 year old single guy (which btw makes me feel a bit of a pariah reading all your stories :P) from Spain. Can't say reading has been my life since young age, it's been in and out of it and for the last year I kind of went into overdrive with it.

Reading the Song of Ice and Fire saga drained me of the pleasure of reading. Found myself pushing through the books cause the characters were worth it, but found the reading was more a duty than a leisure. In the low point when I was gonna quit for a while, I found The name of the wind, and the book pulled me back into the world of words.

I work on IT, second most powerful chick magnet when it comes to jobs, right after anything with a 007 license. My free time (besides reading) goes to gaming, tv-series, (those two usually at the same time), hiking, photography, skating...well, when all your free time is your own you got quite some to spread around :)

I currently have a drained coffee mug on my desk and a yellow soft ball with a smiley on it, if that won't make me a fascinating character, nothing ever will.

message 34: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 117 comments My name is Jessica Bruce. I grew up in Nashville, TN and still live here. I have a burning desire to travel the world and explore all of the food and culture that is out there. Sadly, that costs money...So for now I wait.

I am 30 years old and married to my best friend. After 2 years, I have finally got him started on The Name of the Wind. I am so excited! We have two pets. A rambunctious Cairn Terrier named Stevie (after Stevie Nicks...I was an 80's girl). Maibe is our cat who was named after a loved character from Arrested Development. We hope to acquire a male cat so we can have a George Micheal in the house.

I am unemployed at the moment, eew. I have a degree in graphic design I hope to put to use in the VERY near future.

The first book I ever read...not sure. I do know pictures exist of me sitting in a pile of stuffed animals with a Dr. Suess book in my hands or Where the Wild Things Are. As a continued into middle school I was that girl with an R.L.Stine book in her hand. Fast forward to now and my collection is much more diverse.

Favorites:
Kingkiller Chronicales (obviously)
The Song of Ice and Fire (love this series, but find it is best to take breaks between books)
The Night Watch/Day Watch series
I have started reading a bunch of classics.

Currently reading: The Grapes of Wrath
Last books read: Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Movies seen: The Hobbit and Django Unchained - Both were AMAZING!
Last Game Played: Skyrim

message 35: by Ozana (new)

Ozana (barbozzy) I love fantasy and YA books, mind traveller, fact digger and book collector aka compulsive buyer...I am IN love in movie art and love TV and MOVIES, especially science fiction because I can travell at all kind of strange places... I work at National Tv as assistant director. Since childhood I spent all my time in Oldmovies Theather drinking in old movies and staying awake till' dawn reading books...all that without neglecting my social life, my passion as student of archeology, ethnology and journalisam. I travelled, imagined, loved and still stayed little girl in my heart.... And yes, long term single mom of 19 year old from Croatia, Europe.

message 36: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 6 comments I am a 22 year old software engineer from India, hoping to quit his job and do something more interesting.

I live in a small rented apartment for now, so no pets or anything of that sort, though I would love to have a German Shepherd someday. When I'm not working, I keep myself busy with fantasy novels, comic books, manga and games. I am a big fan of George R R Martin's ASOIAF series.

I still watch pro-wrestling (WWE) and take part in online discussions on the same (don't judge me). Other than that I love watching The Walking Dead, BBC's Sherlock, Arrested Development etc.

I am a big movie buff and watch movies of all languages, old or new, any genre. My favorites are probably 12 Angry Men, Pulp Fiction, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Fight Club and City Lights (Chaplin at his best).

Skyrim is my current favorite game, although I'm a sucker for Ubisoft's Prince of Persia trilogy and Assassin's Creed. Both Altair and Ezio were badass characters and the story in the game is really fascinating.

Favorite books are the ASOIAF series, Crime and Punishment, The Count of Monte Cristo, Midnight's Children and right now the KKC.
In manga, there is Berserk, Vagabond, Vinland Saga, One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note and many more to count.

And I love Alan Moore's Watchmen. Very very amazing work.

I don't listen much to modern music. I like Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Queen, KISS, the old Guns N Roses, Deep Purple, Rolling Stones etc.

That's about it I guess. I am more of the indoors type but when we do go out, I like trekking.

message 37: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 117 comments Rahul wrote: "I am a 22 year old software engineer from India, hoping to quit his job and do something more interesting.

I live in a small rented apartment for now, so no pets or anything of that sort, though I..."

I love Fight Club. That move is just incredible. I have wanted to read that book for years because I was told the movie isn't even half as insane as the book.

Skyrim has such a gigantic place in my heart. It actually took the place of WoW. The graphics in the game are gorgeous and I love that kind of play style.

Oh, and Walking Dead is fabulous! I can't wait to see what happens this season with Merle, Darrel, and the Governor. It has gotten so intense this season.

message 38: by Amber, Master Sympathist (new)

I actually thought the Movie Fight Club, was better than book.

Which is insane, since that never happens to me. (Actually thats a lie, I felt the same about Stardust - by Neil Gaiman)

Skyrim is rockin - I love elder scrolls, it's what sucked me into gaming. I was just amazed at all the crazy shit you can do in those games. WoW really has gone down hill in my opinion and Elder Scrolls blows it out of the water. Looking forward to there MMO release this year. Did you guys sign up for the Beta??

Count of Monte Cristo is one of my all time favorite novels as well. Sometimes just thinking about Alexandre Dumas makes me want to cry, his writing is ridiculous amazing and I don't know if anyone will ever compare in my mind LOL.

Three Musketeers, Man in the Iron Mask - how do you even compete with that?!

Been wanting to check out Death Note for a while now - I dont read much Manga, but I do enjoy watching the occasional anime. Death Note has been recommended to me quite a few times just haven't had the chance to check it out.

message 39: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 6 comments I forgot to mention "Firefly". Which is a big mistake because I think Joss Whedon is amazing and Firefly was balls-out brilliant.

Amber you should definitely check out the manga "Berserk". DON'T watch the anime of the same. Read it NOW. Dark fantasy doesn't get much better. Seriously, there are very few stories as involving, disturbing and fascinating.

Jessica, the Governor is always interesting to watch :D The Walking Dead has taught me new levels of obsession in the last few months :D

I'm not getting much time for Skyrim these days. It's hard to work and read and play all together, so I'm in a reading phase right now :) Hope to get back to the game soon!

And The Count of Monte Cristo was probably THE novel that made me a bookworm. I first read an abridged version from the school library when I was 10 years old and read the complete unabridged version 3-4 years later. Have read it multiple times since :)

message 40: by Chris, Master Artificer (new)

Chris (chris300) | 387 comments Mod
If you like Dark Fantasy - Deadman Wonderland is a pretty good manga. Very bloody...

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Alright my turn.I'm going to do some different questions and keep it brief.

I'm a 17 year old guy. Im gay.

Favorite Video Game: Skyrim
Favorite TV Show: White Collar
Favorite Book: NOTW
Favorite Game System: My PS3
Favorite Movie: The Hunger Games
Last Movie I Saw: Mama
Last Book I read: (ReReading The Series) The Secrets of The Immortal Nicholas Flamel: The Magician

Alrightthats it for now.. :) If any of you want to add me on PSN my name is Alpathos

message 42: by Amber, Master Sympathist (new)

I've only seen the seasons of White Collar they have on Netflix, but I love that show too!

Plus, I don't usually have an affinity for actors, but Neal Caffery is one cutie pie...LOL

Are you still in school Scott? Or graduate early?

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Im actually still in school Im a senior.You know the actor that plays Neal is Gay? Mozzie too.. lol

message 44: by Colin (new)

Colin | 23 comments ok my turn, I'm Colin from Belfast northern Ireland ...its a great country with such friendly people( don't believe all you see on news). I'm 39 and married with 3 great kids and Benny our cat. I have always loved reading since childhood..I used to read some of my 3 older brothers books mostly war stories..I really got into Stephen king but then discovered the hobbit and LOTR then the belgariad and by then I was hooked on fantasy. I love feist,gemmell,eddings hoodlums,weeks but recently really took to rothfuss, Sanderson and Abercrombie..oh and Lawrence and Brett..lol. I work night shift part time in Tesco which is a big store over here..my wife is a teacher..I'm epileptic.
fav book..hmmm..fantasy emm Magician by Raymond e feist
fav film..star wars
fav tv big bang theory
love my Xbox esp skyrim and red dead redemption.
Xbox gamertag calis01 if you wanna add.
I love goodreads you all are great people and you interest me so much with all your theories..
fav quote do or do not there is no try..yoda..empire strikes back..hope I haven't bored you all..bye for now.

message 45: by Amber, Master Sympathist (new)

Actually I didnt know that Scott. Thats interesting. I do like Mozzie's character a lot, he's really cool. One of the most enjoyable for me at least.

I loved Senior Year. I only went to community college, so it was my last REAL year of full time school. Make the most of it! (Oh and good luck, isn't graduation closing in here pretty quick?)

I really like Star Wars too Colin! I love love love Darth Vader's story, even if he is the villian, it's pretty much the most epic and awesome "bad guy" story ever. Plus, Lightsabers...can't go wrong there.

I haven't read any Feist yet, but I've heard good things about him. Still going through the Belgariad, which is my introduction to Eddings. On Castle of Wizardry right now.

message 46: by Colin (new)

Colin | 23 comments feist is fantastic though I do feel the series went on a bit too long even for me. He creates epic stories and characters that you would love( esp one called Jimmy the Hand...think Silk but younger and more slippery) and you grow with them through the story..give it a go sometime..damn I haven't read it in ages...everytime u talk to you Amber I feel a re read coming on..lol..but for now back to Mr Abercrombies red country

message 47: by Speaker (new)

Speaker (Speaker4theDead) | 34 comments hubris, leads me like it lead others to tell my story.

my story can be summed up in one sentence. I was born; I learned; I loved; I was betrayed, I learned to lie, cheat, and steal; I learned to love again; I hurt them incredible; they returned the favor... lol Maybe it was a little more than a sentence.

In the wake of my life I learned what it meant to be a man. I devoted my life to helping others. I then decided to join the army, because I was bored mostly. Ironically they gave me a desk job. Blow my brains out. In the mist of all of this I met love of my life. She gave me the most beautiful gift in the world, my precious daughter. Her name means life's wisdom. Names are important to me.

Anyway, talking about books, I hated reading for 18 years of my life. I read what I was forced to, and I spark noted most of it. Dont judge me.... So I read the twilight series, and the author referenced another auther, Orson Scott Card. Thus begin my love affair with readin. the ender's game saga moved me in the deepest parts of my being, and I learned something about myself...

Boring perhaps, but that is a synopsis of my life. minus the sharp edges that make me uniquely me.

message 48: by Chris, Master Artificer (new)

This could be fun. I'm 23, British (cup of tea anyone?), recently finished a research masters in cancer research and waiting to start a job working with clinical trials.

I've had a love affair with books ever since I can remember and devoured anything in the fantasy genre.

I agree with R.E. Feist's book, Magician was brilliant but the series has dragged on too long, he must have released over 15 trilogies now, I'm just not on board, the quality has dragged too.

message 49: by Robert (new)

Robert Eggleton | 9 comments Congrats on your academics. It must be difficult to go go school and find time for anything else.

Rarity from the Hollow is an easier fun read. Check it out.

message 50: by Chris, Master Artificer (new)

Me? Lol, academia can be a bit of an excuse to put off joining the big bad world of working. My time's run out now, looking forward to starting work! Waiting for a CRB check which can take 6 weeks though. *sigh*

« previous 1 3