Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2010 Challenge Archive > 2010 October Monthly Challenge: Suggestions Thread

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments (Sorry for posting this late. Real life had been crazy)

This is the thread where we ask questions, discuss, and make suggestions for the challenge.

Special thanks to the members who regularly stop by at the Suggestions Thread and share their input. It definitely helped me a lot when I put together the monthly categories. Thanks, guys.

1. October: Read a book which title starts with “O”.

2. Birthday: Read a book from an October B-day celebrant’s GR bookshelf. (http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...)

3. Geography: Read a book whose author, setting or character is from North Carolina.

4.Teacher’s Day: Read a book set in a school, college or university, or a character is in the education field (teacher, professor, lecturer, etc).

5. Law & Order Read a book where one of the major character is a lawyer or judge, or in the 911 Emergency Service field (police, firefighter, paramedic, etc).

6. Halloween Read a ‘scary’ book, or one that features a typical “Halloween” character (witch, vampire, ghost, etc)

7. National Book Month Read a book set in the publishing business, or a book about writing, or one with a character that is a writer, publisher, editor, etc.

8. Romance Genre: Read a romantic suspense book or a suspenseful romance.

9. Of Lists and Shelves:Teen Read Week Read a book from the first five pages of either of the following shelves:

young adult
teen reads
juvenile fiction

10. Reader's Choice

Challenge Duration: October 1 – October 31, 2010

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) For National Book Month would a book set in a bookstore work? I have several mysteries that all involve bookstores (ie. owner of the bookstore solves the mystery).

message 3: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments ஐ Briansgirl "Book Sale Queen"ஐ wrote: "For National Book Month would a book set in a bookstore work? I have several mysteries that all involve bookstores (ie. owner of the bookstore solves the mystery)."

That sounds good to me.

message 4: by D.G. (last edited Sep 25, 2010 09:15AM) (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments Need North Carolina books! The only one I think I have is the Diana Gabaldon and I don't feel like reading it now.

I found one already! And it's a book I just got and want to read! Woohoo!
The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen

message 5: by ~Megan~ (new)

~Megan~ (megadee) Here's a good resource for books set in NC: http://www.lib.unc.edu/ncc/ref/fic/au...

message 6: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 1099 comments Thanks for posting that link Megan. That was a big help!

message 7: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 3656 comments absolutely! thanks Megan. had no idea how to cover this category.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Wonderful Link Megan. I found several books I own on those lists that will work.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 5294 comments I like the Lori Foster books that take place in Temptation NC for those looking for a geography book.

message 10: by Judithe (new)

Judithe | 392 comments Would a character that is a book illustrator work for category 7: National Book Month?

message 11: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Judithe wrote: "Would a character that is a book illustrator work for category 7: National Book Month?"

I'll accept it.

message 12: by Lynne (last edited Sep 26, 2010 09:18AM) (new)

Lynne (lovetoreadgal) | 1167 comments I love the mystery series by Margaret Maron that begins with The Bootleggers Daughter. All are set in North Carolina.

message 13: by Dee (last edited Sep 26, 2010 12:00PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments demon for halloween? if not, i'll do some switching - i'm trying to fit the next Lords of the Underworld book in...

or small-town librarian for 4...since especially in small towns the library is at the school/ works with students....

message 14: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (melw) | 981 comments Suggestion for category #7 ... Envy by Sandra Brown. Main female character is a publisher, male character an author.

message 15: by Judithe (new)

Judithe | 392 comments Yz the Whyz wrote: "Judithe wrote: "Would a character that is a book illustrator work for category 7: National Book Month?"

I'll accept it."

Thanks, Yz! I'm still looking for another book for that...but go a little crazy if I don't have at least one OK choice before the challenge starts...lol!

message 16: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (melw) | 981 comments Another one for category 7 - Genuine Lies by Nora Roberts :)

message 17: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (melw) | 981 comments Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "demon for halloween? if not, i'll do some switching - i'm trying to fit the next Lords of the Underworld book in...

or small-town librarian for 4...since especially in small towns the library i..."

Demon for Halloween - works for me :)

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments thanks! what about question 4 and small town librarian - if not, i'm back to the drawing board...there are some hard ones this month!

Mel W wrote: "Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "demon for halloween? if not, i'll do some switching - i'm trying to fit the next Lords of the Underworld book in...

or small-town librarian for 4...since espec..."

message 20: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lovetoreadgal) | 1167 comments OCTOBER
0 of 10 Complete!

1. Starts with “O”: Out of Body by Cameron Stella
2. Birthday: Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost (Thanks Carolyn F.!)
3. North Carolina: TBD
4. Teacher’s Day: Too Good To Be True by Kristin Higgins (HS teacher)
5. Law & Order: Under Fire by Jo Davis (firefighter)
6. Halloween: When Autumn Leaves by Amy S. Foster (witches)
7. National Book Month: Last Lessons of Summer by Margaret Maron (publisher)
8. Romantic Suspense: Beyond the Night by Joss Ware
9. Teen Read Week: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
10. Reader's Choice: Playing with Fire by Gena Showalter

To Read:
Out of Body (Court of Angels, #1) by Stella Cameron Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost Too Good To Be True by Kristan Higgins Under Fire (Firefighters of Station Five, #2) by Jo Davis When Autumn Leaves by Amy S. Foster Last Lessons of Summer by Margaret Maron Beyond the Night (Envy Chronicles, #1) by Joss Ware Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins Playing with Fire (Tales of an Extraordinary Girl, #1) by Gena Showalter

Complete:

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments psst lynne - this is the suggestions thread... ;)

message 22: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 1058 comments Authors from North Carolina:
Jenna Black, Elizabeth Amber, Claudia Dain, Nicholas Sparks, Liz Carlyle, Lydia Dare, Virginia Kantra

More are listed at Heart of Carolina Romance Writers A chapter of the RWA for North Carolina authors.

message 23: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Sep 30, 2010 07:37AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Shazzy wrote: "Yz, would Wicked Appetite work for #7?
She's a chef but she's also writing a cookbook."

As long as she is writing, I don't see why not.

message 24: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (cklueh) | 455 comments Sarah Dessen is a YA author who lives in NC. I've been wanting to read The Truth about Forever by Sarah Dessen

message 25: by Courtney (last edited Sep 30, 2010 01:50PM) (new)

Courtney (cklueh) | 455 comments I'm really trying to find something that fits in with the books I'm planning on reading, instead of the other way around this month, LOL. Can I use a book that is on the North Carolina School Library Media Association Book Award Booklist for this year? That was a mouthful. Anyway, Shiver is on there. For the Geography category that is...

message 26: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Courtney wrote: "I'm really trying to find something that fits in with the books I'm planning on reading, instead of the other way around this month, LOL. Can I use a book that is on the North Carolina School Libra..."

For the geography category, it has to be either a book by an author who lives in the place, a book that is set in it, or a character that hails from that place.

message 27: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments Hi Yz! I figured this is alright so I already started it, LOL! but wanted to check with you nevertheless.

I'm reading a memoir about a writer and the book deals with what's going on in her life while she's trying to get her first book published.

message 28: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments D.G. wrote: "Hi Yz! I figured this is alright so I already started it, LOL! but wanted to check with you nevertheless.

I'm reading a memoir about a writer and the book deals with what's going on in her life wh..."

Yep...that will work.

message 29: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (cklueh) | 455 comments Yz the Whyz wrote: "Courtney wrote: "I'm really trying to find something that fits in with the books I'm planning on reading, instead of the other way around this month, LOL. Can I use a book that is on the North Caro..."

Well, crap! I don't know if any of my books are set in NC, and the authors are probably not, but I'll have to look in the book jacket. Some of them aren't very forthcoming about where they are from (at least on GR).

message 30: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments You don't have to read all the books in the challenge, Courtney...most people just read as many as they can.

Usually I try to read books from my TBR so if I don't have a book that fits the category, I just don't read it. Sometimes I get them from the library but rarely.

message 31: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (cklueh) | 455 comments Okie-dokie. I work at the library, and it's h*rd to walk out of there w/o a book.

message 32: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments courtney - does your library have Sarah Addison Allen (or have you read all hers)...

message 33: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (cklueh) | 455 comments I just looked up Allen and all I've read is Garden Spells. It was very good!

message 34: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments I highly recommend her other books if you library has them and I've used two of them for the Seasonal Reading Challenge (I think you are over there as well right?)

message 35: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (cklueh) | 455 comments Thank you for the rec DD. One of the other covers looked interesting--red and spicy. I just finished the Are You Ready for some Football? Challenge, and I don't think I've signed up for the seasonal challenge this time (since I did the football one). I'll look for one of Allen's on Monday when I work.

message 36: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments sign up for as many as you want...they are addictive...but I meant the seasonal challenge in the other group....with pjreads and sandy

message 37: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (cklueh) | 455 comments LOL, I know what you mean. I keep getting in over my head. This month, I've decided to stick with one challenge (this one), and read the books for my YA discussions. The month keeps getting away from me.

message 38: by Tania (new)

Tania | 644 comments I'm proud of myself in that I've held back with

- October monthly reading challenge (this group)
- October monthly reading challenge (PNR group)
- Pick it for me challenge (this group)

Seasonal challenge
- Covers Covers Covers challenge.

Which is currently working out to be a book a day (I'm a fast reader) but I'm finding sooooo many great authors and my TBR list is actually getting lower. And it's helping me resist curling up with the entire BDB series which Debbie recommended the first book for this month PIFM challenge.

message 39: by Judithe (new)

Judithe | 392 comments Amazing self-control! WTG, Tania!!!

message 40: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Wrong thread, Tina. : )

Tina "IRead2Escape" (tinar1121) | 1292 comments Yz the Whyz wrote: "Wrong thread, Tina. : )"

Hah, that means I put the one that should be here on the other one. Geesh! Thanks for catching it. There is nothing funny about dementia, I have to tell you...lol.

message 42: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (melw) | 981 comments First Impressions by Jude Deveraux is set in North Carolina.