Start by marking “Genuine Lies” as Want to Read:
Genuine Lies

Genuine Lies

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  9,272 Ratings  ·  232 Reviews
A book to die for...

Eve Benedict is the last of the movie goddesses, a smoky-voiced sex symbol with two Oscars, four ex-husbands, and a legion of lovers to her name. There is no secret, no scandal she doesn't know. Now Eve has decided to write her memoirs--no holds barred. All Hollywood begs her not to. But Eve has her reasons....

Julia Summers is the biographer Eve has han
Published August 1st 1991 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Genuine Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Genuine Lies

Xana
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gosto sempre de voltar a Nora!!
São leituras descomplicadas, que começamos a saber que vai acabar tudo bem, mas que me dão imenso gozo!
Gostei muito deste livro, embora tenha previsto o desenlace bastante cedo, adorei ler o desenrolar da amizade entre Eve e Julia, a simplicidade de Julia e o facto de Eve ser tão excêntrica e especial!
Recomendo sem reservas, uma leitura leve e descontraída!
Falina
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
My first Nora Roberts novel...truly a milestone.

In "Who's Afraid of Happy Endings?" there's a clip of Nora Roberts describing an encounter with a woman who, upon learning Roberts' identity, said "Oh, you write that smut." Nora's response? "No, I do not write smut. What the hell is wrong with you?"

My instant response was to think Lady, lighten up -- how can you write romance and still be that easily offended? My response now, after reading one of her novels, is...yeah, she's still too easily offe
Inkvotary
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
4,5 stars

Inkvotary

This was the second time that Ive read this book. And I was again hooked and very entertained. My rating stays the same and to dive into the glamor and shiny facade of Hollywood as gorgeous as ever. The style Nora Roberts had in her early work is fascinating and expresses the feeling the 80ies and 90ies had.

Eve is a real diva. Everything she does, she plans or even has to deal with, she needs to have the control. The people in her life have to live the way she wants them. With
Nibra Tee
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Putdownable.
Alex is The Romance Fox
Book Description: New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts weaves scandal, celebrity secrets, and murder into an explosive novel of Hollywood almost too wicked not to be true: the story of a legendary actress who knows too much—and the woman she’s chosen to reveal it all….

Eve Benedict is the kind of subject who could make any biographer’s career. Last of the movie goddesses, she has two Oscars, four ex-husbands, and a legion of lovers, both famous and infamous. Now she is ready to write a
Sara
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-lit
Holy 80′s!…Ok, so the book was originally published in 1991 but really, we’re splitting hairs. Eve and Julia walk around in coral colored silk jackets and elegant leisure pajamas. And the trainer Fritz…OMG this quote had me cracking up!

“Standing beside Eve as she lay on a weight bench doing leg curls was Mr. Muscle…He had to be nearly seven feet – a Nordic god whose bronze body bulged out of an incredibly brief unitard.”

Seriously?!…Unitard?!…Sexy?!…

Only in the 80′s (-ish) could this be possible.
Beth
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This was over wayyyyy too fast. It's plotted crazily, in that messy way that turns out to be simple, and the beginning Hollywood glamour thing goes away when the trial starts, so the book feels uneven. And then it just ends. But Paul and Julia are great, and so is Brandon.
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
"Is love worth it?"

"It's worth everything. I wouldn't waste a day, not an hour, not a moment. Take what you want, and damn caution. Or the biggest regret you'll have at the end of your life is wasted time."

When Julia Summers is asked by wildly famous and legendary Hollywood actress Eve Benedict to write her biography, she agrees but has no idea what she is getting herself into. Certainly not the amount of people in Eve's life that do not want the book written. Certainly not the growing friendshi
Alyssa
Oct 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book three stars because I felt like there wasn't very much development leading up to Eve's killer. Obviously someone wanted the secrets kept just that - secrets - enough to kill for them. However, there were a couple of things that made me angry, (okay, okay, I understand that this book was published nearly two decades ago, but really?!) first, how Paul seemed to be verging on the edge of killing Julia himself at some moments, and second, there is no way a woman nearly in her sevent ...more
Mariazita
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Completamente maravilhoso este livro de Nora Roberts, envolvi-me completamente na sua leitura, foi com este género de livros, romance, mistério ,intriga e crime que Nora Roberts conseguiu conquistar-me nos primeiros livros que li da autora, e este é retornar as origens.
Eve Benedict , uma antiga estrela de cinema, resolve escrever a sua biografia, na sua longa carreira assistiu a muita , fez também muito e sabe demais de toda as estrelas e do mundo do cinema.Esta sua intenção de escrever tudo o
Susana Del Campo
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2016
Me ha gustado bastante aunque quizás no he llegado a conectar del todo con Julia y Paul. Eve si, Eve es MARAVILLOSA ❤
Ahora que ya han pasado las fiestas me vuelvo a poner las pilas con la lectura que tengo un poquitín más de tiempo para dedicarle.
Sara Herondale
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
That plot twist will be remembered as the one I never, NEVER saw coming.
Nadja
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ništa posebno, predvidivo, na delove interesantno priznajem ali kraj me nije iznenadio..
 Mary

Un libro sobre un libro.... el libro de la vida de Eve Benedict; una estrella de la era dorada de Hollywood, una famosa que a pesar a su edad sigue despertando pasiones tanto dentro como fuera de la pantalla.

Eve decide que es momento de plasmar su vida en un libro, sus memorias. Para ello elije a Julia Summers para que escriba su libro; parece una elección al azar pero Eve tiene sus motivos y debo admitir que me sorprendió descubrir cuál era la "Verdadera Mentira". Mientras Eve relata su vida a
2JennyN
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
August 31
The key characters are Eve Benedict, a famous movie goddess, Julia Summers, a biographer, and Paul Winthrop, Eve's handsome stepson. Alot of other movie stars are involved. Who plots against Eve, disliking the fact about her writing out her biography.
Eve Benedict who is now in retirement, decides to write a biography about her and the things she did and went through in order to get the top of Hollywood. She planned on spilling every detail, leaving nothing out, including the people wh
Cyrisse
Apr 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: romance readers
Recommended to Cyrisse by: n/a
Shelves: nora-roberts
Eve Benedict is the last of the movie goddesses, a smoky-voiced sex symbol with two Oscars, four ex-husbands, and a legion of lovers to her name. There is no secret, no scandal she doesn't know. Now Eve has decided to write her memoirs -- no holds barred. All Hollywood begs her not to. But Eve has her reasons...

Julia Summers is the biographer Eve has handpicked to tell her story. Transported from her quiet life in Connecticut to glitzy Beverly Hills, Julia hates the limelight but loves her work
Whisper
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
What can I say? I'm a sucker for old hollywood and headstrong beautiful women. Nora Roberts wrote a breathtaking story of a glamorous actress who by the end of her life wanted to right all of her wrongs. She brought her long lost daughter to her home, into her world to write her biography. The twist? her daughter Julia didn't know Eve was her biological mother, as she was given up for adoption as a newborn. This book has so many twists and shocked me to the core to the point I slapped my hands t ...more
Raquel Bernardes
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: livros-fisicos
Sempre que leio um livro da Nora Roberts sei que a autora nunca me vai desiludir pelo contrário, torna-me viciada nas histórias dela mesmo até ao fim e este não foi excepção. Eve é uma daquelas deusas do cinema, é adorada por todos, já teve 4 maridos e uma enorme legião de amantes, mas decidiu que era a altura para escrever a sua história, mas há alguém que não quer que ela conte a história principalmente o segredo que ela esconde. A história um espanto, como já disse esta autora não desilude co ...more
Francesco
Mar 13, 2016
Stephanie Tracy
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very unique and interesting Nora Roberts novel, and I'm really glad I read it (or listened via Audible). It's different from many of her others, because the main characters (hero and heroine) are only TWO of the main characters. Eve Benedict, the elderly Hollywood star that Julia (heroine) is hired to write a biography for, is just as 'main' a character as any - and some might argue that the real meat of the story is only there because of her.

Julia, a Connecticut native and single mo
Julia Leru
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Уже с первой страницы я поняла, что история будет непростая. Шум толпы, микрофоны в лицо, машина, голос главного героя... и вопрос. "Итак, Джулия, ты в самом деле убила ее?"
Роман, как и большая часть романов Норы Робертс, не просто история любви в свете голливудских огней. Это смесь детектива, мелодрамы и семейной саги в одном флаконе, взрывоопасная смесь, иначе не сказать.
Джулия - молодая писательница, которой хочется сделать себе имя, и приглашение голливудской легенды Евы Бенедикт для нее ока
Paraphrodite
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2017
3 stars.

This was a very long book. The audio edition was about 19.5 hours and even at 1x4 speed, it was 14 hours! Luckily the narrator Joyce Bean was very good.

Our heroine, Julia Summers is a well-established biographer and has been asked by Hollywood Legend Eve Benedict to stay at her Hollywood compound and write her memoirs. There she meets Paul, one of Eve's ex-husbands' son. The romance between Paul and Julia is almost secondary in this book.

The first 3/4 of the book is all about Eve, her
Mojca
Hollywood star Eve Benedict decides that, after fifty years in the spotlight, it’s time for an autobiography. And she wants celebrity biographer Julia Summers to write it. But there are some secrets people are willing to kill to keep off the page...

This one was a huge disappointment for me.

The suspense was the only good thing in this book, with its many side plots, suspects, motives, secrets...

The rest of it was just “meh”.

First of all it was the length, making the story drag its feet. Maybe a 1
Yazlina Saduri
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cant remember now if I've properly read or actually completed any of her other books, but this one blew my mind, crisp and well done. Amazing read. I missed a lot of fantastic thrill by having skipped this a long time. The roller coaster of true woman happiness and turbulant depressing emotions are there in most pages, coursing through my mind and soul, far from subtle. Eve's larger than life image, a woman who knows exactly what she wants and how best to deal with shit, indulge in female ritu ...more
Ginger
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
No one can spin a tale like this Author. This has to be in my top ten reads, I have no clue why I haven't read it sooner than this? The storyline is fantastic the characters jump off the page, I can picture Eve like she is was right there in front of me. All the lies, deceptions, secrets they all make sense that's how I would picture Hollywood to be and the people from that era. I was raised with all those old movies. Loved loved this story
CA
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
I am a huge Nora Roberts fan. All of her books are ingenious, but if I could recommend one book to someone that is unfamiliar with her work, it would be 'Genuine Lies'. No one could read this epic and astounding book without becoming an instant fan, without wanting more. I guarantee it.
Paula Bundick
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

This is my 47th Nora Roberts book. Then there's also 26 J D Robb books to my credit.

Love Nora's work any way I can get it. Keep up the good work dear lady.

Paula N. Bundick
Pamela Tracy
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Interesting to read a book written 20 years ago and realize how mores have changed.
Veronica Lindsey
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good romance with secrets from "old" Hollywood that lead to murder.
Brigham
This was a soap opera disguised as a novel.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add Narrator 2 13 Jul 23, 2017 11:42PM
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Purity in Death (In Death, #15)
  • Pearl Cove (Donovan, #3)
  • Lost and Found
More about Nora Roberts...
“I wonder if you can understand, I never really knew what it was to want, until you.” 56 likes
“Eve rose stiffly when he strode out of the house. In silence, she watched Julia look after him. "The male ego," Eve murmured as she crossed the room to put an arm around Julia's shoulders. "It's a huge and fragile thing. I always envision it as an enormous penis made of thin glass.” 40 likes