Delirity discussion

Author S > Unwind - N. Shusterman

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Dec 22, 2013 12:49PM) (new)

message 2: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2759 comments This is one of my most favorite books!! There is so much to talk about with all the issues it brings up. It also sticks with you for a long time!

message 3: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1745 comments I agree. It really makes you think deep. Great book.

message 4: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2759 comments Stacia wrote: "It's too bad I can't use this for my "U" read. I have Uglies waiting for that, and I already bought it.

WTB more time to fit in all these books."

One of these challenges has a dystopian theme, this would be a good book for that.

message 5: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2759 comments I am not sure which one, I can check when I get home and look over my slips of paper where I was keeping track.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
Meet the criteria challenge.

message 7: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1745 comments I thought it was that one too, but after I was thinking about it, I think it was a challenge from the UF group.

Stacia, it is YA so it would work for that one. I used it as my blue book for the rainbow challenge.

message 8: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2759 comments Stacia, Carrie has it right, I was thinking of the other group. You could use it for the monthly read one book challenge.

message 9: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2759 comments The pink one is a different challenge, so I would use it for October.

message 10: by Heather (new)

When I mad the diff realm/universe I thought that included distopia until Carrie told me otherwise. Sorry. Pink is a separate challenge. Although, you could use it in Dementia for something probably.

message 11: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1745 comments I ruin everything! :P A dystopian theme would be good for a new challenge next year.

message 12: by Heather (new)

Awe crud. I have to think up more ideas? Why did you go and say that? =)

message 13: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Oct 24, 2010 11:38PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments Just finished this. Great book!

I think this story would be ideal for the classroom at a high school level. There is so much within this book that could be discussed.

The chapter with Roland was so sad...

message 14: by Isamlq (new)

Isamlq Stacia (ridiculously repetitive) wrote: "Just finished this. Great book!

I think this story would be ideal for the classroom at a high school level. There is so much within this book that could be discussed.

The chapter with Rolan..."

I love love love this book...

message 15: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I'm going to start this book today I think. I'm so excited that I finally got a chance to go to the library and get it.

message 16: by Tya (new)

Tya | 840 comments I have no idea why I had been putting this book off for so long, but oh my goodness! So. So. Very good. I intend on forcing my book club into reading it. (view spoiler) I don't know if these are spoilers or not, no ones commented in this thread since 2010, but better safe than sorry!

This book just makes me think, some books stay with you. Some books change you.

message 17: by Tya (new)

Tya | 840 comments Has anyone else read UnWholly (Unwind, #2) by Neal Shusterman

Can I just say (view spoiler)

message 18: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2759 comments I read it a while ago, like it, but didn't think that it was as good as the first one. I do agree with what you are saying Tya.

message 19: by Tya (new)

Tya | 840 comments I didn't like it as well as the first one either. It read like filler. Oh! My reason for posting in the first place. I had just finished reading the book and was online and the website that I was reading had a banner at the top of the page that said something like "We gave her a heart and she's doing great things with it" or something. It sounded like an add for Unwinding. So creepy.

message 20: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2759 comments That is creepy!

I think part of why I didn't think the second book was as good was the whole concept of Unwinding was so shocking and the bring them together at the end was so weird.

message 21: by Tya (new)

Tya | 840 comments I loved the third book! I liked it much, much more than the 2nd one. It still reads like its building towards something bigger. Apparently, this series is not a trilogy like I thought. Anyway, (view spoiler)

Anyone else reading?

message 22: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2759 comments Tya, I'm glad that you are liking these as they go on. For me the last couple of books don't live up to the first. You bring up some great points, especially about Grace, I really liked her.

message 23: by Tya (new)

Tya | 840 comments I can see why you say that, Darcy. I think that there's a lot of world building happening. It doesn't feel like it (or isn't so obvious) in book 1 because your expecting world building. But by books 2 and 3 you expect to have the plot and the background and all of that laid out and thats not the way Neal Shusterman is writing them. Each book has a heavy dose of background all throughout as well as what's happening in the present (I think anyway...I'm not so good with details). I would think that sooner rather than later there won't be anymore background to reveal and the books will stop reading like filler and then ---woooh boy. I think its also that he's telling all of these stories and their disjointed. So, in bk 1 you're introduced to the major players, bks 2 and 3 are character development (who they are away from each other, as independent characters) and the next book is probably getting the characters back in the same space and the book after that (?): war/fall out of war. So...I think bks 2-4 are all building towards bk 5 (although I have no idea how many books are in this series. So. Whatever) Kind of like when I watch one of the 6 hour versions of Pride and Prejudice---all I really watch is the 1st hour to learn the plot, and the last hour to see how it all panned out.

Thats my theory anyway. As always, its completely possible that I have over-thought. (view spoiler)

message 24: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2759 comments I think I was just so stunned by the whole concept of unwinding in book 1, so it just stuck with me, the ending just killed me. With the rest of the books is wasn't so visceral.

Starkey, well, there is one sick puppy! What is worse is how the girls acted like it was a special gift, gag me!!

message 25: by Tya (new)

Tya | 840 comments I really loved the ending of the series. I want there to be a novella to wrap up some C and D and E plotlines and maybe a follow up something with Connor and Risa and Lev that takes place a few years down the line to see them living in a non-AWOL environment.

message 26: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2759 comments Tya wrote: "I really loved the ending of the series. I want there to be a novella to wrap up some C and D and E plotlines and maybe a follow up something with Connor and Risa and Lev that takes place a few yea..."

I thought the last book was a good one to wrap things up. What I really liked was how the general public opinions changed.