Manga Book Club discussion

Other > I Recommend...

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Starbubbles | 871 comments Mod
I felt that we needed a place to ask for recommendations and expand our horizons. So if you're in the market for a new series, or feel that there's an awesome series that needs more attention, post it here!

message 2: by No One (new)

No One (baka) Ao no Exorcist is a great series that people should check out. It's a great shounen!

message 3: by Miss, Group creator (new)

Miss (godblesseveryone) | 151 comments Mod
I need a good romance manga. Like a princess and prince one or butler and heiress.

message 4: by No One (new)

No One (baka) Um ... Goong, maybe?

message 5: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

captive hearts is pretty good, nice, short, and sweet series. deals with a long lost heiress and a butler family.

message 6: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

No One wrote: "Ao no Exorcist is a great series that people should check out. It's a great shounen!"

how much fighting is in it? i've been looking for a shonen, but i'm not an epic battle fan.

message 7: by No One (new)

No One (baka) Not too much. I actually think it's lacking some. I'm pretty sure you will like it. I am eagerly waiting for the next chapter.

message 8: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

awesome! noted! it's tough for me to expand into different genres. somehow shojo keeps jumping into my hands. haha

message 9: by No One (new)

No One (baka) I usually read a lot of shoujo too. I'm picky about shounen, it has to have a perfect plot. My favorite genre is psychological, even though I read more shoujo.

message 10: by Miss, Group creator (new)

Miss (godblesseveryone) | 151 comments Mod
No One wrote: "Um ... Goong, maybe?"

Is goong about a girl who is forced into marriage with some traditional guy. And it is like a 100 or more chapters?

message 11: by No One (new)

No One (baka) Yup, that's Goong.

message 12: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

No One wrote: "I usually read a lot of shoujo too. I'm picky about shounen, it has to have a perfect plot. My favorite genre is psychological, even though I read more shoujo."

so, are you a big clamp fan? tokyo babylon might just be up your alley.

message 13: by No One (new)

No One (baka) Hmm. I'm not a big fan of the art. I am really picky. That's how you get when you're used to Death Note and Monster.

message 14: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

i don't recall death note being particularly beautiful. is it more of older artistc esthetics vs newer ones?

message 15: by No One (new)

No One (baka) Death Note has beautfiul details in the drawings, plus a great plot. http://media.photobucket.com/image/de...

It being old or new doesn't really matter. Monster first started in 1994, and the art there is also detailed.

message 16: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

well, that wasn't exactly what i meant. kenshin was an early '90s series, but those characters are drawn in a style that's closer to today. clamp tends to rotate who draws, so the style in clover is much different than card capture sakura. clover tends to follow an older style where as the later tends to be more "modern."

i think you might like descendants of darkness too. but i'm a little thrown off since i consider clamp to be one of the better artists out there, and i consider descendants to be of similar quality to clamp. not that there's much detail in xxxholic, but magic knight rayearth is full of details.

you might also like mermaid saga, but i'm not exactly sure where to classify it in regards to if you would like the art.

message 17: by No One (new)

No One (baka) Ah! I kind of understand what you mean about the style. It somehow feels a little older than what you see today.

We have a very different taste in art I see. I checked the mangas out, and the art didn't quite catch my sense. Though I am thankful for trying to find something that I would like.

message 18: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

i'm a little sad i wasn't able to recommend something you would like to read. :(

i guess you're right. but that's okay, there's lots of mangas out there

message 19: by No One (new)

No One (baka) That's okay. It's just me being picky.

message 20: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

i was wondering if anyone knew of a pirate manga other than wanted and one peice. i would love to read something pirately, but i not in a one peice/wanted mood.

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori | 1 comments Starbubbles wrote: "i was wondering if anyone knew of a pirate manga other than wanted and one peice. i would love to read something pirately, but i not in a one peice/wanted mood."

If you like OEL manga, there's Destiny's Hand from Seven Seas or East Coast Rising from Tokyopop.

message 22: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

neat! thanks!

message 23: by ~Tormiester~ (new)

~Tormiester~ (hatsoff343) Kimi ni Todoke all the way!!! ^-^

message 24: by Kadie D♥ (new)

Kadie D♥ | 7 comments Show Princess , trying to become famous so your brother can go to the art academy isn't all that easy... (btw very beautiful arts! there is even a drama based on this story it's called Summers desire, named to the heroine)

message 25: by Marissa_san121 (new)

Marissa_san121 | 50 comments Starbubbles wrote: "well, that wasn't exactly what i meant. kenshin was an early '90s series, but those characters are drawn in a style that's closer to today. clamp tends to rotate who draws, so the style in clover..."

Has anyone noticed how uncomfortable the xxxHolic artwork looks? Seriously though, How do they walk?!?! The movement however makes up for the artwork fail. The story flows like all good manga should and it has a supernatural twist that's got me hooked. I highly recommend we do this one for a month.

message 26: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (last edited Feb 11, 2011 08:33PM) (new)

Marissa_san121 wrote: "Has anyone noticed how uncomfortable the xxxHolic artwork looks? Seriously though, How do they walk?!?! The movement however makes up for the artwork fail..."

i really like the artwork in holic. i love the clean lines and simplistic look. sort of reminds me of the big o. but i love holic pretty much through and through

message 27: by Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (last edited Feb 11, 2011 10:31PM) (new)

Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (chintotheexperiment) Starbubbles wrote: "Marissa_san121 wrote: "Has anyone noticed how uncomfortable the xxxHolic artwork looks? Seriously though, How do they walk?!?! The movement however makes up for the artwork fail..."

i really l..."

Sad part about XXXHolic is, I spent most of the morning listening to a friend complain about the ending...adding it to the list of reasons to smack all the women who make up CLAMP(first being the Tokyo government's fault in telling them they couldn't write X/1999 anymore because of all the teens committing suicide like the characters, so that series was sadly dropped).

message 28: by Lear (new)

Lear | 56 comments Check out 20th Century Boys, it's easily one of the most amazing series i've ever read.

reviews of it seem polarized and it can be a bit confusing at times but they'll answer all your questions in due time.

message 29: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

David wrote: "Check out 20th Century Boys, it's easily one of the most amazing series i've ever read.

reviews of it seem polarized and it can be a bit confusing at times but they'll answer all your questions in..."

i seem to keep picking up confusing series, so that wouldn't be anything new for me. haha

message 30: by Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (last edited Feb 14, 2011 08:50PM) (new)

Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (chintotheexperiment) And I've been picking up mainly 4-KOMA series like Hetalia and GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class and .hack//4-Koma...and so on.

message 31: by Marissa_san121 (new)

Marissa_san121 | 50 comments Rave Master is a must read for readers of Fairy Tail. Word of warning: the most perverse volume is #13.

message 32: by No One (new)

No One (baka) Lear wrote: "Check out 20th Century Boys, it's easily one of the most amazing series i've ever read.

reviews of it seem polarized and it can be a bit confusing at times but they'll answer all your questions in..."

So you would say that it's a great psychological manga? I really like Naoki Urasawa's manga and anime Monster, therefore I've been wanting to read 20th Century Boys, but it doesn't appeal to me. If you could compare it to another manga or anime, what would you compare it to?

message 33: by Lear (new)

Lear | 56 comments That's a hard one because I've never read anything quite like 20th Century Boys. It's certainly got psychological aspects to it, but I'd call it more thriller or mystery.

If I had to pick something to compare it to I'd say Death Note and Higurashi for aspects unrelated to their plots. Death Note because of compelling characters and the pacing that fits well, it doesn't seem rushed at any points. Higurashi because it likes to answer questions at it's own time. It gives out answers only as they become important.

message 34: by Marissa_san121 (new)

Marissa_san121 | 50 comments I choose Akira, because... Okay anyone who hasn't read or watched Akira won't understand why I'm comparing it to 20th century boys.

message 35: by No One (new)

No One (baka) Lear wrote: "That's a hard one because I've never read anything quite like 20th Century Boys. It's certainly got psychological aspects to it, but I'd call it more thriller or mystery.

If I had to pick somethi..."

Death Note and Higurashi. Hmm, alright. I guess I should give it a try then.

message 36: by No One (new)

No One (baka) Marissa_san121 wrote: "I choose Akira, because... Okay anyone who hasn't read or watched Akira won't understand why I'm comparing it to 20th century boys."

I haven't read or seen Akira so I guess I can't relate to it.

message 37: by Lear (new)

Lear | 56 comments *adds akira to the short list to read*

I've seen it, and while a great movie I'm not sure I'd compare them. That said it's also been a while since I've seen it so it.

message 38: by Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (last edited Mar 15, 2011 09:51AM) (new)

Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (chintotheexperiment) I started to read Akira(last year) but I'm still in the first volume since I lost the site I was reading it at...>_<

20th Century Boys isn't my type...

I've watched some of the anime to Monster(since the manga isn't in any of the stores where I live).

MPD Psycho is the one I like out of the psychological genre.

message 39: by Lear (new)

Lear | 56 comments awesome, choice, too bad the english only goes up to volume 9

message 40: by Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (last edited Mar 15, 2011 12:32PM) (new)

Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (chintotheexperiment) Lear wrote: "awesome, choice, too bad the english only goes up to volume 9"

MPD Psycho? There are ten volumes out in the states and thirteen out in Japan. So ten are in English now.

message 41: by Lear (new)

Lear | 56 comments oh? didn't realize it got picked back up.

Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (chintotheexperiment) Lear wrote: "oh? didn't realize it got picked back up."

I know this since I pay attention to Japanese magazines, and one of my friends owns the ten volumes that are out.

message 43: by Lear (new)

Lear | 56 comments lol i'm current in the japanese, but i checked a local bookstore and he couldn't order it for me about a month ago. Wasn't even an upcoming title.

message 44: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Lear wrote: "lol i'm current in the japanese, but i checked a local bookstore and he couldn't order it for me about a month ago. Wasn't even an upcoming title."

That sounds like a distributer issue. Just b/c a product is out, it doesn't mean the distributer has access to it. But I'm really not versed in book distributions and such

Tetsu (Doki Doki ~♥) (chintotheexperiment) It is most likely the distributor, since I had a friend who went to every book store where I live, trying to order a book that had been out for over a year, and ended up having to order it online.

message 46: by Lear (new)

Lear | 56 comments shouldn't be a problem for me, they'll check amazon if the distributor doesn't have it. that's how i got the first couple issues of higurashi.