Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

1001 Book List > Add some new books to national shelves

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (last edited Sep 17, 2010 02:48AM) (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 291 comments I went through the group bookshelves with countries' names and some shelves have just one book. I know there are more books from Czech Republic, Poland or Sweden worth reading.

From Czech Republic:
1. The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
2. Life Is Elsewhere by Milan Kundera
3. The Good Soldier Svejk: and His Fortunes in the World War by Jaroslav Hašek

From Poland
1. Fire in the Steppe by Henryk Sienkiewicz
2. With Fire and Sword by Henryk Sienkiewicz
3. The Deluge by Henryk Sienkiewicz
4. Peotry by Czesław Miłosz and Wisława Szymborska

message 2: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Anna wrote: "I went through the group bookshelves with countries' names and some shelves have just one book. I know there are more books from Czech Republic, Poland or Sweden worth reading."

You must have a different edition of the book, as Henryk Sienkiewicz is not listed at all in my edition. But you are right in that there should be more than one book for those countries.

Czech Republic:
The Trial, The Castle, Amerika, War with the Newts, The Engineer of Human Souls, Waiting for the Dark, Waiting for the Light: A Novel, City Sister Silver, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting, Closely Watched Trains

Poland:
Ferdydurke, Quo Vadis, The Pharaoh and the Priest, Volume 1, Insatiability, The Street of Crocodiles, Ashes and Diamonds, This Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen, The Magician of Lublin, Solaris, The Beautiful Mrs. Seidenman: A Novel

Sweden:
The Book about Blanche and Marie, The Red Room, The People of Hemso, By the Open Sea, Gosta Berling's Saga, Pippi Longstocking, Barabbas, The Christmas Oratorio, Faceless Killers

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 291 comments On group bookshelf there is Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz and I listed The Trylogy - With fire and sword, The Deuge and Fire in the steppe.

message 4: by El (new)

El Are you looking just for books from these countries that are on the 1001 List, or any books from those countries? I have a few more Czech Republics if we're not confining it to just 1001 List books.

message 5: by Charity (last edited Sep 17, 2010 10:09AM) (new)

Charity (charityross) Anna,

Added all the Kunderas that appear on the list and the Hašek to the Czech shelf, and put Quo Vadis on the Poland shelf. However, none of the other books appear on any version of the 1001 Books list, so they weren't added. Thanks!

Liz,

Added all the books to the proper shelves that weren't already on there. Thanks!

message 6: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) The nationality shelving was a project that, unfortunately, fell by the wayside somewhat shortly after it was begun. If anyone sees list books that need to be shelved, please list the title of the book and the country it needs to be shelved under and I will get to it as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

message 7: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (lila55) | 2 comments The Successor by Ismail Kadare - Albania
Spring Flowers, Spring Frost by Ismail Kadare - Albania
Snow by Orhan Pamuk - Turkey
The Museum of Unconditional Surrender by Dubravka Ugresic - Croatia
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry - India
The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga - India

message 8: by Regine (new)

Regine A Fine Balance is on the list, and it's Canadian! (to be fair, written by an Indian Canadian)

Some more Canadian books:

Green Grass Running Water by Thomas King
Last of the Crazy People by Timothy Findley
The Wars by Timothy Findley

message 9: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (lila55) | 2 comments Thank you for correcting, I should have checked better instead of just going by name and location.

message 10: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) Added all except Last of the Crazy People and Green Grass Running Water because they are not on any version of the list. Thanks, Sylvia and Regine!

message 11: by Regine (new)

Regine oh sorry, I misread the topic. I thought we were suppose to add new books to the international shelves that we thought were list worthy.

lol, my bad!

message 12: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) I have a question. The shelf is for author's from those countries, not stories set in those countries, right?

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 291 comments I think the shelf is about author. In other case book like The Deluge would be on two or three shelves.

message 14: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) I have a question. The shelf is for author's from those countries, not stories set in those countries, right?

Yes. When the project started (many moons ago), it was decided that it would be much easier to work with the author's nationality than the book's setting.

message 15: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) For Austria, Stefan Sweig, Chess Story also known as The Royal Game was added with the second edition.

message 16: by Christina Stind (new)

Christina Stind | 183 comments Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg should be on the Danish shelf.

message 17: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) Got 'em! Thanks!

message 18: by Kristel (last edited Sep 21, 2010 05:50PM) (new)

Kristel (kristelh) There is nothing on the USA shelf.? Do we want only author's books that we have read or authors no matter?

Marilynne Robinson, Home and Cost.
Phillip Roth, The Human Stain, Portnoy's Complaint, The Plot Against America, American Pastoral, Sabbath's Theater,
Operation Shylock, The Breast.
Henry Roth, Call It Sleep.

message 19: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) Donna Tartt, The Secret History American author.

message 21: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Kristel wrote: "
Marilynne Robinson, Home and Cost.
Phillip Roth, The Human Stain, Portnoy's Complaint, T..."

Cost: A Novel by Roxana Robinson

message 22: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) I have added all that are listed. I'm currently working on going through the bookshelf and adding the authors to the proper shelf (or shelves).

Kristel, the USA shelf was edited and, for some reason, the books didn't stay on the renamed shelf. I'm going back in and adding them back to the shelf.

Liz, I added Rousseau to the Switzerland shelf, but I also kept him on the France shelf.

message 23: by Kristel (last edited Sep 22, 2010 12:32PM) (new)

Kristel (kristelh) I noticed that there is no shelf for Finland and at least one of the authors is from Finland, Arto Paasilinna.

message 24: by Charity (last edited Sep 22, 2010 12:46PM) (new)

Charity (charityross) Actually, there is a Finland shelf and Paasilinna is on it (with a few others). :)

message 25: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) I've finished looking over the shelves and I believe every book is now assigned to a nationality shelf. If you notice one that was missed or there is an error, please let me know. Thanks!

message 26: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (newtomato) | 196 comments Charity wrote: "I've finished looking over the shelves and I believe every book is now assigned to a nationality shelf. If you notice one that was missed or there is an error, please let me know. Thanks!"

Thanks for all your hard work, Charity! It's a very useful resource!!

message 27: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) I agree. It will be nice to have a place to go when wanting to read books by authors from other countries.