The Sword and Laser discussion

Wheel of Time Book 13 is released

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (last edited Nov 08, 2010 12:23PM) (new)

Brian | 67 comments Towers of Midnight will be on sale November 02, 2010

Distinctions: Prologue to Towers of Midnight will be available on as ebook September 21, 2010 for 2.99

Prologue "Lan Mandragoran rides on toward death; Perrin Aybara, Lord Goldeneyes, has a disturbing dream; Galad leads the Whitecloaks into harm’s way; one who has left humanity behind creeps through the Blight; and the Blight border faces invasion"

The trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apJJ0N...

Can't wait :)

message 2: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Me Too!!! I have been reading this series since about the 5th grade (im 27 now). And while I think we all can agree that it should have taken a maximum of 10 books to finish, this new one has me drooling already. I have had it pre-ordered from Amazon for probably 4 months now. Cant wait until November!

message 3: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4211 comments I'm excited for the book to come out, but I don't think I'll be buying the prologue on its own. That seems like a steep price, given that the hardcover will probably be on the order of $25ish.

However, I wonder if this means that they'll release this tome (and the others in the series) as ebooks. I've found GRRM's ASOIAF books in the past as ebooks, but always thought that Jordan and/or TOR were not so keen on the ebook thing, only making them available in print and audio.

If they came out with a Kindle version of the book, I'd probably buy both the hardcover (for my collection since I have all the others) AND the Kindle version, so I could read anywhere and everywhere when I have time.

message 4: by Micah (last edited Sep 16, 2010 02:31PM) (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments terpkristin wrote: "I'm excited for the book to come out, but I don't think I'll be buying the prologue on its own. That seems like a steep price, given that the hardcover will probably be on the order of $25ish."

I wouldn't buy the prequel on its own either. Seems like a price gouge to me. After 20 years (literally people) why would you not just give it away for free as a bonus to anybody who has stuck around this long.

As for buying it in hardback I will to complete my collection. I am still looking for books 1,3,4,and 5 in hardback and good shape. Started buying them brand new whenever book 6 came out...a gazillion years ago...

message 5: by Welwyn (new)

Welwyn Wilton Katz | 46 comments I totally agree with Micah. An honorarium for the readers for their loyalty. Let them read prequels free!

message 6: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Back in the '90s, Tor put the prologues on their site for free. But then another publisher came along and said, "Hey, RJ, why are you giving this stuff away? The suckers, er fans, will pay good money for it. Give us the ebook rights for the prologue, and we'll get you beaucoup bucks." IIRC, this publisher charged something like $10 for the prologue. Luckily this was right when Microsoft came out with the .lit format, and they offered the prologue free if you'd download the ereader software.

When the next book came out, Tor made sure they had the ebook rights, but they kept charging money for the prologues.

message 7: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Sean wrote: "Back in the '90s, Tor put the prologues on their site for free. But then another publisher came along and said...."

I remember getting the prologues for free on line too. I would check the Tor site all the time for any word on the next book. At one time they posted a short story titled "The Strike on Shayol Ghul" that was written by RJ. I still have that printed out somewhere around here...

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Royal wrote: "Towers of Midnight will be on sale November 13, 2010

I nearly had heart failure when I heard Veronica mention this thread on the podcast and the date Nov. 13th.

But I've double and triple checked, it's coming out Nov. 2nd

message 9: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments I bought the prologue. But I've bought all of them. The first one was for my Handspring Visor. But I've been reading the series since the early 1990s.

I appreciate authors and publishers that post free chapters, but I don't expect it from authors that sell mega-copies. I think in this day and age, authors looking for an audience need to offer a free sample. If it's good we will buy it, especially ebooks.

I will note the beginning of "The Way of Kings" is available at Tor for free. It's all matter of market economics.

message 10: by Kurt (new)

Kurt (archmagister) | 2 comments Regardless, i still think that any true fan of the series will buy it. we might twist and turn like a gholam but in the end we'll get it. cant wait!

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael Minutillo (wolfbyte) I sat down at my computer with my credit card out, prepared to return to Rand and the gang. I loaded up Amazon, found the prologue, went to click on the big buy button. It wasn't there. Then I noticed the big box on the right hand side

This item is not available in the following countries: Australia

Are you freaking kidding me?! I HAVE money! I WANT to give it to you! It would be okay if it was being made available in Australia by some other means but it seems not. It's a digital item. There is no postage/delivery issues. What cause could there possibly be to not sell this item in my country?

There is a long and complex process that makes me appear to Amazon that I am in the US but frankly it's probably easier to find an illicit copy and download it for free.

On top of that I was willing to pre-order a copy of Towers of Midnight from Amazon in the same transaction but now I think I'll wait for a local store to just get them in.

Grrrrrrrrrrr.

message 12: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4211 comments I pre-ordered it and should get it release day. No paying for prologues for me.

message 13: by Tom (new)

Tom Gehrke (tomgehrke) I'll pass on the prologue, but I'm glad to see the 13th book out so quickly after the 12th.

It also seems like there is a delayed release on the eBook editions. Unfortunately, because I had the first 11 in hardback, I feel obligated to finish out the set in analog form. *sigh*

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Michael wrote: "I sat down at my computer with my credit card out, prepared to return to Rand and the gang. I loaded up Amazon, found the prologue, went to click on the big buy button. It wasn't there. Then I noti..."

There's a guide to purchasing the prologue from outside the US here
http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/s...

message 15: by Brian (last edited Sep 30, 2010 02:34AM) (new)

Brian | 67 comments Kate wrote: "Royal wrote: "Towers of Midnight will be on sale November 13, 2010

I nearly had heart failure when I heard Veronica mention this thread on the podcast and the date Nov. 13th.

But..."

Yes it is November 02, 2010. I guess I put 13 since it is the 13th book. The trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apJJ0N... makes me want it now.

message 16: by Derek (new)

Derek Knox (snokat) | 274 comments All my copies of WOT are audio from Audible. Saves a whole lot of shelf space. ;-)
Hope they finish the prologue trilogy he planned to do. But haven't heard anything about it, so probably not.

message 17: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments I don't think there are any current plans to finish the prequels. I don't know how far along he got with those. New Spring was the extension of a short story, and the three books Brandon Sanderson is finishing were already in rough draft when he took them over.

As a general note, a prologue is at the beginning of a book and a prequel is a book written after another in which the events take place prior in time to the earlier (or original) book.

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy Pilkington | 104 comments Michael wrote: "I sat down at my computer with my credit card out, prepared to return to Rand and the gang. I loaded up Amazon, found the prologue, went to click on the big buy button. It wasn't there. Then I noti..."

Oh, I know! Don't you want to just smack some publisher up the head whenever you get that message? I really want to read Soulless and the rest of the series, but sorry, not available in Canada.

My favourite time though was earlier this month I bought The Hunger Games (because I was late to the party, as usual), but even though they had all 3 books, I opted to only buy the first, just in case I wasn't into it. By the time I went back 3 days later, the entire series had had its Canadian availability removed. All that resulted, was two lost sales, because I'm certainly not going to by paper for a series I already own the first in e-book.

message 19: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Skip wrote: "As a general note, a prologue is at the beginning of a book and a prequel is a book written after another in which the events take place prior in time to the earlier (or original) book. "

Wow i feel stupid. Thanks for pointing that out Skip. I totally messed that one up in my above posting. Now i know why Tom was a little confused on the podcast about a prequel. Apparently I need to pay way more attention when I am posting things.

message 20: by Derek (new)

Derek Knox (snokat) | 274 comments Prequel - Prologue, it all in the past.

message 21: by Brian (last edited Nov 08, 2010 12:28PM) (new)

Brian | 67 comments Just picked up the audiobook of Towers of Midnight. Cant wait. I was listening to Under the Dome and I am about 1/4 into it, but it will have the wait.

Edited the first post from "coming soon" to "released" and added the books Youtube trailer to the first post.

message 22: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey J | 38 comments Finished the audiobook yesterday and really enjoyed it. Still not sure how it will finish in one more book but glad we are getting to the end. While I did enjoy it not sure how much that is due to having been with the series for so long or the book is well written, either way had fun.

message 23: by Mike (new)

Mike Rentas (mikerentas) | 65 comments Just about done with this one - so good! The one negative about the whole experience is that they're holding back the ebook for around a year. Ridiculous! I've been lugging around the hardcover all week :(

message 24: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments I know, but the e-book is now coming out in February. They really should start offering the e-book with a hard cover pre-order.

message 25: by Trent (new)

Trent (ezelek) Loved the new book, Sanderson is doing a great job at finishing off the series (love his other works too, the Stormlight Archive is shaping up to be my next big following). The only issue I had was Mat, he seemed slightly OOC, but it has been a long time since I read the older stories.

message 26: by Derek (last edited Nov 15, 2010 12:20AM) (new)

Derek Knox (snokat) | 274 comments Just started the audio version of The? Towers of Midnight. Did I mis-hear, is Tam both riding with Perrin and waiting for Rand at Tir?

message 27: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments No, you didn't mishear, Rand and Egwene's timelines are way ahead of Perrin and Matt's at the start of the book so you get little wierdnesses like that, Tam hasn't left Perrin's camp yet at the start of the Perrin timeline but in the Rand timeline he's been picked up by Cadsuane and brought to Tear aready.

Mericfully by then end of the book it seems like everyone's more or less caught up with each other.

message 28: by Derek (new)

Derek Knox (snokat) | 274 comments Finished book, can finally see end in sight. Still a lot to tie up, next book looks to be action-packed. That vision of the future after the final battle was interesting. Most stories tend to leave the impression of a happily-ever-after forever-and-ever, forgetting that the world is still populated with people, and everything that entails.
Golden Ages are really quite boring, peaceful, but boring. :-D

message 29: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments The authors have both said that the last book will not tie a bow on all of the outstanding plot threads, and it wouldn't do with the whole concept of the Wheel of Time to have an actual ending. That said the major plot points will be resolved. Rand will save the world and Bela will be revealed as the Creator. The Aiel thread, for instance, won't be resolved, but there should be a direction by the next book's end that satisfies the readers. At least I hope so.

message 30: by Derek (new)

Derek Knox (snokat) | 274 comments Can't always keep characters straight, who is Bela? Don't remember that name.

message 31: by Kate (last edited Nov 18, 2010 11:35AM) (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Snokat wrote: "Can't always keep characters straight, who is Bela? Don't remember that name."

She's the mare Egwene rode out of the Two Rivers in tEotW.
There's a running joke that she's the Creator/Dark One/Asmodeon's killer/whatever.

I've lost track of where she is and who's riding her now though, can anyone enlighten me?

*edit* Never mind, Siuan rode her to Tar Valon when she was rescuing Egwene, we can assume she's stabled at the Tower.

message 32: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey J | 38 comments Kate wrote: "...There's a running joke that she's the Creat..."

I didn't know there was a running joke about that but I can see where it would come from, funny.

message 33: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments IIRC, Bela was last seen with Siuan, so I expect her to be in Var Talon's stables.

Considering the historical size of the usenet group for the series (rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan), there isn't much that hasn't been joked about at some point in time.

Many jokes and theories about series came from the Usenet group, including: Bela; fjords; rants about top posting; the Purple Ajah; and Taimadred just to name a few.

The newsgroup was created in 1994 and at its peak generated several hundred posts a day, I mostly lurked, because posting required references and I rarely had all of my books handy.

If you like the series and occasionally get lost, I would recommend three sites.

The WOT FAQ This will answer your questions to some of the popularly confusing parts of the series. Very helpful, but full of spoilers. You could search for older versions if you don't want spoilers.

The Encyclopaedia WOT This is more of a "just the facts" reference than the FAQ, but it is very complete. If you need to know who someone is, this is where you look.

Ideal Seek - the site for finding something in the books. This is a great reference tool, but is not going to help you with explanations. It will find you the page where X said Y to Z though.

message 34: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Skip wrote: "The newsgroup was created in 1994 and at its peak generated several hundred posts a day, I mostly lurked, because posting required references and I rarely had all of my books handy..."

ITYM: "at its peak generated several hundred posts a day, but unless a new book had come out recently, only two or three of them were actually about the books and the rest were mammoth flamewars about the PLO vs IRA, Mormonism, filesharing, gnu control, and the Bush administration."

God, I miss that place.

message 35: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments I miss it too, besides who's going to control the gnu now?