Heathens, Pagans and Witches discussion

Heathen/Pagan Newcomers > Practical Magic

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) For those new to witchcraft, I would recommend reading the following:

" Creative Visualization: Use the Power of Your Imagination to Create What You Want in Your Life " by Shakti Gawain;
" Art & Practice of Creative Visualization " by Ophiel;
" Art and Practice of Astral Projection " by Ophiel;
" 13 Moons: A Journal of a Natural Witch " by Fiona Walker-Craven;
" Liber Noctis: The Handbook of the Sorcerous Arte " by Gary St M. Nottingham; and
" Treading the Mill: Practical CraftWorking in Modern Traditional Witchcraft " by Nigel G. Pearson.

You can read my complete list of recommendations for beginners at my blog.

Of course there are just as many ways to practice magic as there are strands of paganism. So, what are your recommendations for beginners to your style of magic: ceremonial, Wicca, Seidr, Galdr or something completely different?

message 2: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (lavendercrystalbear) | 111 comments Check my bookshelf as well. Although I admit it is not up to date.

message 3: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) Have you a tag for beginners on your bookshelf, Cyndi, so that newcomers can easily find your recommendations?

message 4: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (lavendercrystalbear) | 111 comments I'm not that versed at this bookshelf thing yet. Sorry.

message 5: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) For anyone interested in trance, but doesn't know where to start, I would recommend this month's book, " Trance-portation: Learning to Navigate the Inner World by Diana L. Paxson. Ideally, a beginner would join a group under an experienced teacher, but this book does allow for solo work to begin if a group is not available locally.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (ladyjessica) I am looking for a book about working with the Gods and Goddesses of a variety of pantheons. If possible, with some mythology and ideas of how to evoke and interact with them. Any suggestion? Thanks! :D

message 7: by Faith (new)

Faith Freewoman (faithfreewoman) Jessica wrote: "I am looking for a book about working with the Gods and Goddesses of a variety of pantheons. If possible, with some mythology and ideas of how to evoke and interact with them. Any suggestion? Than..."

My book Sacred Cycles: Ancient Doorways to Inner Space talks about a variety of expressions of the Goddess and the God from different cultures, and gives meditations to work with both for each pagan holy day.

Not sure it's exactly what you need, but if you check it out on Amazon.com, the intro and table of contents should tell you if it'd be helpful for what you have in mind.

Also, a few of the chapters are on my web site www.vivian-hadleigh.com, and an informal recording of one of the meditations which you can download.

message 8: by Faith (new)

Faith Freewoman (faithfreewoman) EXCELLENT advice!!! Interesting surprises isn't the half of it.

message 9: by Faith (new)

Faith Freewoman (faithfreewoman) Those involving a deity usually being the most memorable. My most exciting "learning experience" was with the Yoruba trickster god, whose name I've repressed (at his suggestion ... It was something along the lines of "never darken my door again, you idiot female").

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (ladyjessica) Thanks everyone for your responses! Is there anyone with a personal story about how they first started working with deities they would like to share? I am just beginning this type of work and any tips/stories on how you started out would be very helpful! I am also interested in interactions with angels and faeries, so any advice or books on those topics would be appreciated.

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie G (juliealg) | 7 comments I would just take the time to recommend a book for everyone who's interested in creative visualisation, yoga, exercises for the mind & spirit etc.

It's called Full Contact Magick, written by Kerr Cuhulain. I read it about a year ago, but personally I didn't find the book appealing. However I still think it's a good book, and I think it may suit a lot of you.

Anyone who's read it before who has any opinions on the book? :)

message 13: by Sara (new)

Sara Little wrote: "Full Contact Magick: A Book of Shadows for the Wiccan WarriorFull Contact Magick A Book of Shadows for the Wiccan Warrior by Kerr Cuhulain :):)"

Fascinating. I'm well familiar with "warrior shamanism" (think Carlos Castaneda) however warrior wiccans is a new one. Wish I could look at this one without having to buy it, however, somehow I don't think it's on the shelves at my local library. :-)

message 14: by Julie (last edited Jul 12, 2013 12:23PM) (new)

Julie G (juliealg) | 7 comments Sara wrote: "Little wrote: "Full Contact Magick: A Book of Shadows for the Wiccan WarriorFull Contact Magick A Book of Shadows for the Wiccan Warrior by Kerr Cuhulain :):)"

Fascinating. I'm well familiar w..."

I found the book in a downloadable version here http://www.pdfbook.co.ke/details.php?... (as a .pdf file), however you need to sign up/login to download it, not sure if it costs money or not. Worth a try! :)

Note: I have this book myself and it's about 250 pages long, whilst the downloadable version only contains about 160. I may have a newer edition, not sure. Just wanted to inform you about this. :)

message 15: by Sara (new)

Sara Jule, thanks for this link. I will definitely check it out, as I am curious.

message 16: by Julie (new)

Julie G (juliealg) | 7 comments Sara wrote: "Jule, thanks for this link. I will definitely check it out, as I am curious."

You are very welcome!
And oh, please tell me if the website is good or not, if you choose to use it. I'm curious for other books there, but not sure wether I want to sign up. :)

message 17: by Jae (new)

Jae (jae5) | 14 comments If you go on the Amazon page here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Full-Contact-...

and click on the book image for the Look Inside function, you can check out the content of the book.

message 18: by Julie (new)

Julie G (juliealg) | 7 comments Julie wrote: "If you go on the Amazon page here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Full-Contact-...

and click on the book im..."

Oh, that's great! Thanks for sharing the link. :)

message 19: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments Added it - thanks Jaq.

message 20: by Jae (new)

Jae (jae5) | 14 comments One of my shamanic friends was talking about Jan Vries just the other day.

message 21: by Little (new)

Little Miss Esoteric (littlemissesoteric) | 1116 comments Jaq wrote: "Just an alternative recommendation on the subject matter:
Visual Magick: A Manual of Freestyle Shamanism

This one is primarily about using visualisation, but it's an excellent book from a well-est..."

Ditto. Ta Jaq.

message 22: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments Jaq wrote: "Some unsolicited advice: Make sure you know them well before working with them."

Yes, some of them can be stroppy.

message 23: by Javed (last edited Dec 15, 2015 05:55AM) (new)

Javed Iqbal | 1 comments nice advice and feeling good to read the discussion, here is a gift for all of you.
Seven Habits of Highly Effective People | Pdf Books Free Download
http://pdfbooksinfo.blogspot.com/2014...

message 24: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments Would you say it's practical magic Javed? Perhaps it might be better suited to the Free Books thread? Thank you by the way.

message 25: by Michaela (new)

Michaela Osiecki (rozemaiden87) I find so many neat tips and tricks for practical magic all over tumblr.

message 26: by Lesley-anne (new)

Lesley-anne Brewster | 34 comments Nigel (Pearson) will be pleased by your recommendation. Have you read his companion book, 'Walking the Tides'?

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Miller (diamondsapphire) | 7 comments Faith,
I went to Amazon to get your book Sacred Cycles and it says that the book isno longer available. Is there another site I could buy it from orf do you offer it free for reviews