Writers and Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Writer Q & A (Archived) > Q and A with Emma Michaels: Sept. 15th-17th

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 1777 comments Mod
Please welcome fellow member and talented author, Emma Michaels to our Q and A forum. Emma Michaels began as a book blogger, starting her blog in December of 2009, before turning author. Her new career as an author has been possible with the loyal support of her fiancé, Chihuahua, her amazing blog followers and fellow bloggers. Her debut novel is the intriguing novel, The Thirteenth Chime, the first in her Sense of Truth series.

A Short Bio:
“Emma was born and raised in Los Angeles, California, until she moved at eighteen to Washington State. Suddenly, the world was a new place filled with tall green trees that reached further for the sky with every moment, making her want to do the same. Ever since, she has tried to make her life something new and different from what it was before, pursuing her future career, setting high goals and reaching for them with every moment.”

Her Blog:
http://emmamichaels.blogspot.com/

Her Goodreads profile:
Emma Michaels

Her Book:
The Thirteenth Chime by Emma Michaels

message 2: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Lazar (aaronpaullazar) | 12 comments Hello, Emma! Tell us about your Chihuahua and if he appears at any time in your work. Do you ever inclue "guest spots" for favorite people or animals?

message 3: by Desire (new)

Desire | 2 comments Hi Emma,

Who are some of your favorite authors and what makes you enjoy their work?

Desire'

message 4: by A.F. (new)

The subject matter in your book, that hatred never dies, is intriguing. Why did you decide to write about that particular subject?

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma Michaels (emmamichaels) Good Morning everyone!

Aaron: I am actually planning to take some pictures and later on this year start doing some Hope related posts. I did do a post for National Dog Day and that was a ton of fun because of all the amazing responses and stories so I definitely plan to do more!

Desire: I have a lot of favorite authors to be honest. I would have to say that the main thing that helps me enjoy a book is not only how relate-able the main character is but spirit. When you start reading a book and something inside of you just feels like it comes alive. Normally for that to happen to me it means that the characters have their own unique personalities, silly quirks about them, that the areas are described just enough to get your imagination really going and I will admit I am always a sucker for a strong female lead.

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma Michaels (emmamichaels) A. F. wrote: "The subject matter in your book, that hatred never dies, is intriguing. Why did you decide to write about that particular subject?"

Great question! My fiance and I are very alike so at times we will have very strange conversations about random topics. (You should see our book shelves, the books are RANDOM. Suddenly it is a cookbook, then a book about King Arthur, A book about Diabetes even though neither of us have it, then a research topic about Atlantis, etc.) I believe the line "Hatred Never Dies" came up during one of our psychology conversation mixed with a paranormal conversation after a book I had read. We were trying to decide if the phrase "Love never dies" was correct because it was a comment I had made about a reincarnation in the novel and he brought up that maybe that would also mean that "Hatred Never Dies". We decided that while Hatred and Love can be let go of, renewed and have just about anything happen to them. They cannot die or certain psychology issues would never have existed. While you can forgive someone and let go of your hatred, it is still somewhere inside of you or there would not be psychology issues about hatred resurfacing in later years. Though, I do believe the same about love and that love can far outweigh hate if a person will allow it to.

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma Michaels (emmamichaels) So what are some books everyone would like to suggest I read and review either here on Goodreads or on my blog? Thanks to everyone who has been stopping by! All genre suggestions appreciated!

message 8: by A.F. (new)

Emma wrote: "So what are some books everyone would like to suggest I read and review either here on Goodreads or on my blog? Thanks to everyone who has been stopping by! All genre suggestions appreciated!"

If you are looking for some good fantasy/paranormal books, I recently reviewed an excellent book called Goddess Fire by Meg Westley. Also I'm currently reading Thunder and Blood by Stacey Voss.

Aaron Paul Lazar writes terrific mystery books (I just reviewed his latest Healey's Cave) and the Sam Harper series by Marta Stephens is great. I also recommend Staccato by Deborah J. Ledford.
Pat Bertram writes excellent books in the thriller line: A Spark of Heavenly Fire, More Deaths Than One and Daughter Am I.

There is also a wonderful short story collection by Goodreads Authors called Ménage à 20, Tales with a hook.

You can check out the Books section here in the group, too, where some members have list their books. And if you're interested you can always check out my fantasy books; I recommend Chronicles of the Undead and Passing Fancies.

message 9: by D.J. (new)

D.J. (lifeinfiction) How has your writing changed/grown over the years?

message 10: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Lazar (aaronpaullazar) | 12 comments Desire, would you like to read and review my new release, Healey's Cave? You can see it at www.mooremysteries.com. I can send you the eBook or print if you prefer.

message 11: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Lazar (aaronpaullazar) | 12 comments Oops, I meant to address this to Emma. LOL.

message 12: by A.F. (new)

I almost forgot, Emma, I awarded your blog The One Lovely Blog award. You can check out and pick up the award at: http://afstewartblog.blogspot.com/2010/09/blog-award-has-been-bestowed.html

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma Michaels (emmamichaels) A. F.: Yeay! Now I have to update my to-read list later on today!

DJ: I do feel that my writing had grown over the years not just since I was younger but also from book to book. Now that my second installation in the series is finished and I am working on more I am starting to realize just how much I have grown, especially given the positive feedback from my editor about the changes I have been able to make. I am really trying hard to continue to always get better and hope everyone will love the outcome!

message 14: by Emma (new)

Emma Michaels (emmamichaels) Aaron: Yes, I would love to! E-mail me at Emma_Michaels@hotmail.com and I will get back to you with the details! Thank you so much for the offer. I always love a new book!

message 15: by Emma (new)

Emma Michaels (emmamichaels) A. F. wrote: "I almost forgot, Emma, I awarded your blog The One Lovely Blog award. You can check out and pick up the award at: http://afstewartblog.blogspot.com/201..."

Thank you!!! I stopped by, commented and I am now a follower! YEAY!!!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Emma, what are your favourite elements in novels? What are the things that excite you and spark your interest when you read and how to do try and translate that into your own books?

message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma Michaels (emmamichaels) Keri wrote: "Emma, what are your favourite elements in novels? What are the things that excite you and spark your interest when you read and how to do try and translate that into your own books?"

Great question Keri!!! I have a few elements that stand out to me in the novels that I love. Mainly the characters and plot. The plot has to have a driving force that catches my interest and the characters have to be individuals with unique personalities that I can really relate to. Which means that while color, age, looks, etc. doesn't matter to me in a character, the way they act and think and especially if they have quirks tends to catch my interest. But great characters don't make a book, you have to have great characters, plot, surroundings and so much more. I try to write novels I would be able to enjoy reading with plots that would catch my interest. If I have a plot idea and write out a description for myself but realize it isn't something I would pick up if it were me browsing the shelves of a bookstore then I don't write it, I go on to the next idea. :)

message 18: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 97 comments As always, I'm late dropping by. I like your answer about your writing changing. Sometimes I feel like it just proves I'm not enough if I want to change the things I wrote earlier, but you make it sound okay. I like your comments about a good novel too.

Do you keep track of all your plot ideas--even the ones you don't write--or do you just let them wander round in your head till they resurface in another form?

message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma Michaels (emmamichaels) Sheila wrote: "As always, I'm late dropping by. I like your answer about your writing changing. Sometimes I feel like it just proves I'm not enough if I want to change the things I wrote earlier, but you make it ..."

I actually have a small laptop I was given as a present a number of years ago that I use ONLY for writing. I have at least forty unused plots mapped out on there if not more. I always write down any plot I find the inspiration for and I feel an honest attachment to. I never know when I might look back through my plots in later years and find that while I hadn't wanted to write a novel before, I realize how perfect it is for me now. I have an entire "Plot" folder. I think it is always a good idea and if nothing comes of it than at the worse you can look back in later years and help yourself grow.

Also, looking back and seeing edits you can no longer make isn't a bad thing. It shows that you have grown and now understand a bit more about how to write a better novel. There are always new ways to grow as a writer and learning step by step just makes you better as you go! It is always great to learn new things and helps make you more than what you were before!

message 20: by L.M. (new)

L.M. Preston (lmpreston) | 7 comments Emma,

Do you find that when you've finished writing that you mourn your characters?

message 21: by Emma (new)

Emma Michaels (emmamichaels) Lmpreston wrote: "Emma,

Do you find that when you've finished writing that you mourn your characters?"

Not so much when I finish an individual book but definitely when I finish a series and I would imagine I will feel the same when I write a stand alone novel. In your experience is it the same? I loved your novel The Pack and it made me wonder if you miss your characters because I did.

message 22: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 97 comments I wish I were organized enough to keep a plot folder. Whenever I start writing I want to edit too, so most of my plot ideas end up as 100-word stories somewhere on my blog.

message 23: by Emma (new)

Emma Michaels (emmamichaels) Sheila wrote: "I wish I were organized enough to keep a plot folder. Whenever I start writing I want to edit too, so most of my plot ideas end up as 100-word stories somewhere on my blog."

I know what you mean. I used to be like that until my fiance started helping me with better plot outlining. That was what started to make me actually enjoy it so I make a point to at least do my summaries if not full maps. Feel free to stop by my blog and check out my "Project to Published" posts. I did one on plot mapping.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

How did you begin to build your characters? What was the inspiration for them? Did you begin with a name or a trait or an image?

message 25: by Emma (new)

Emma Michaels (emmamichaels) To be perfectly honest my characters tend to be "take them as they come" characters, if that makes any sense. Where I just suddenly have the character and they tell me what they want to do and different facts about them. A lot of it can be things I have seen before and my mind subconsciously filed away that then one day just came together but sometimes it is more a trait or profession and then I have fun with it. Another great question Keri!!!! To be perfectly honest. The inspiration can be really random and come from just about anywhere. It is normally different for every character.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Thirteenth Chime (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Emma Michaels (other topics)