Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Bad habits you've acquired due to being an obssessive author / reader?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (mrpld) | 155 comments For me... wanting coffee at 11pm at night... knowing full well I'll regret it at 4am when I still can't sleep.

message 2: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Staying up all night reading. Sometimes I've looked up at the clock and it's around 3am! Not good when you have to go to work in a couple of hours...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

For me it's reading. When you just want to read one more chapter, then one more, just another.....2am damn, I have to get up at 6am... who needs sleep. It doesn't happen often, the book has to be truely engrossing. :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

not listening to the missus........no forget that one, I've been doing that one for years. LOL!! (-:

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (mrpld) | 155 comments Oh yes, that's what's happened to me when I read "Faerie Tale" - started at about 2pm... finished at 6am - I'm sure I skipped a lot the first time around but I went back and read it again several times over the next few years.

message 6: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Or spending too much money on books. Now that I buy ebooks it only takes a couple of clicks and it's mine. It's amazing how many books you'll buy when you don't actually have to get in the car and drive to a bookshop!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Since being on Goodreads I have been spending far too much money on books, I order them on line, I blame my TBR shelf it's growing faster than I can read. :) I have been dropping hints to my husband to buy me an ereader for my birthday. He hasn't taken the hint yet. I know because he hasn't asked me which one I want. :(

I have just added Faerie Tale to my TBR shelf. :)

message 8: by Velvetink (new)

Velvetink | 136 comments Buying up too many books at Library chuckouts because I feel sorry for them and outraged the library is throwing them out. ;( ditto from 2nd hand stores.

message 9: by Emma (new)

Emma  Kaufmann (emmak) | 4 comments I am a really bad book addict - if I don't have a book on the go I start twitching! Seriously. Luckily I get most of my books from the library but I read three books a week. Not such a great feat because I don't work at the mo!

Emma Kaufmann
www.cocktailsatnaptime.com

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Since joining GR I keep checking books out of the library instead of working on my TBR mountain. A few years ago I accumulated several bankers boxes of used books from spending my vacations at second-hand shops and thrifts - and the cartons are still in the back room, sorted but unopened. I still get more to read from friends, from GR swap, and from BookCrossing!

At least once a book has been read it gets registered and released to my OBCZ via bookcrossing.com. Otherwise we surely would not have room to swing a cat in here.

(Golly that's an unsettling idiom - I wonder what it originally meant...)

message 11: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda What's OBCZ cheryl?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Here ya go Cheryl, I found this,

The cat in this phrase is of the cat o'nine tails type. The nine-thronged whip was used as punishment at sea. Because space was at a premium below decks, there was not enough room to wield the whip. As a result, the whipping always took place on deck.
Alternative: Evidence against the above origin comes from the fact that the expression was in use in the 1500s and the cat o'nine tails was not invented until the mid 1600s. The saying may involve felines, since there used to be a "sport" of swinging cats as targets for archers. This was either by their tails, in a sack, or in a leather bottle. Shakespeare, in "Much Ado About Nothing" (I,i) uses the phrase "hang me in a bottle like a cat".

message 13: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments Due to circumstances our car is out of action, thus I am catching the bus, which allows me time to read, thus some of the bad habits I have aquired is, missing the bus stop due to being engrossed in the book, reading at the bus stop and nearly missing the bus, purposely getting off at a further busstop so that I can read an extra chapter (I am getting fitter too with the extra walking) and refusing offers for lifts to work jsut so that I can read. Pathetic, but with five kids at home there is little chance there to read.

message 14: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Dee-Ann wrote: "Due to circumstances our car is out of action, thus I am catching the bus, which allows me time to read, thus some of the bad habits I have aquired is, missing the bus stop due to being engrossed i..."

That's so funny Dee-Ann! I guess with a large family you have to be inventive when it comes to finding some 'me' time!:)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved your story too Dee-Ann. :)

Even with a smaller family it's hard to find reading time. I catch the train to work. I wouldn't give up my train time for the world. Undisturbed peace time just for me and my book.

message 16: by Kora (new)

Kora (koraj) | 61 comments I hate being interrupted when I am reading. My family knows to not talk to me when I have a book in hand. I will ignore someone talking to me/the phone ringing etc. until I finish the chapter.

BTW why is everyone talking about Faerie Tale? I read it YEARS ago, and um don't remember much of it, maybe I need to re-read?

message 17: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (mrpld) | 155 comments That'll be my fault K - in my limited reading sphere I found it to be one of the first books that I couldn't put down before I had finished reading it. I swear that was the first time I let my eyes dry out so bad that blinking was almost impossible - aaah, the joys of freshman Uni year with no responsibilities.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

K wrote: "I hate being interrupted when I am reading. My family knows to not talk to me when I have a book in hand. I will ignore someone talking to me/the phone ringing etc. until I finish the chapter.

BTW..."

I wish my family followed that rule. When I'm reading it's a free for all. >:(

message 19: by Kora (new)

Kora (koraj) | 61 comments Gail, my family has NO CHOICE but to follow that rule :P

Paul, I was just curious as I don't remember much about it and I have recently picked up Feist again after a few years off :)

message 20: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (mrpld) | 155 comments K, family moves into a farm property, strange stuff starts happening, one of the twin boys gets possessed, sister gets messed up, pot of gold is discovered, ancient pact is broken, imminent war between humans and faeries, non-possessed brother has to save the day.

message 21: by Kora (new)

Kora (koraj) | 61 comments Oh dear, I don't remember it AT ALL!

(I need to confess: when I first joined GR my username was Krondor, it was only when I joined the Fantasy Group that I realized how stupid that idea was, so I had to shorten it to K.)

Alrighty I have gone way off topic, will shut up now :P

message 22: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Eww, David, I don't think I'll be using the Cat idiom ever again! Tx for the research... I think....

Most of my family also likes to read, so it helps if we're all immersed at the same time. Meals, housework, eh, low-priority - maybe we'll do that stuff in between books.

message 23: by Jem (new)

Jem  (toomanybooksforfaviourates) | 14 comments Cheryl wrote: "Eww, David, I don't think I'll be using the Cat idiom ever again! Tx for the research... I think....

Most of my family also likes to read, so it helps if we're all immersed at the same time. Mea..."

I'm the same with my homework.....not good.

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments getting some good biccies and a coffee..munching through the biccies while in a different world..Not noticing how many I've eaten...Habbit I broke this year but it sprung up reccently..oops!!

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (butterfliesinthesun) | 145 comments Well i am getting my book published.. ( its going through the motions slowly ) My book has been accepted so just have to finish it to my liking, but i would say the worse thing is not being able to write as much as I want.. and when I am stuck in writers mode.. i like to drink a nice hot chocolate and read over my work.. If anyone would like to read some of my work.. feel free to ask.. :) Or add me as a friend.. Have a great day guys and girls!

message 26: by Angela (new)

Angela (dilaby) No matter where I am I permanently think of ideas for my novel. If I am in the car I have to pull over to take note of my ideas. If I am at work I have to write them down on the back of the sticker sheet (nightfiller lol). Drives my husband insane when I go blank whilst he's chatting to me. LOL

message 27: by Belinda. (new)

Belinda. Hamilton (belindahamilton) | 23 comments Oh my house is a permanent mess.
I would rather read a bad book cover to cover before picking up a duster.
I've been banned from reading certain authors in bed because my giggles keep hubby awake.
At least when visiting certain friends they're usually reading as well. We can sit there for a few hours and the only noise you'll hear is the turning of pages and giggling.

message 28: by Angela (new)

Angela (dilaby) @belinda - totally agree on the cleaning thing. I get home on my me days (kid and hubbie free days) look at the mess my house is in and think, stuff it. so i either sit at the computer writing or sit down with a good book. my favourite saying is "care factor? NIL." LOL

message 29: by Lillian (new)

Lillian Grant (lilliangrant) Spending too much money on books. I can read a book in a day then rush to the store and buy another one. When I get my Kindle for Xmas it could get very expensive.

message 30: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Alley (traceya) | 485 comments So much here I can identify with - engrossing books that keep me up till all hours or writing that keeps me at the keyboard for hours at a time. I think my 'worst' habit as a reader though is getting so engrossed I forget all about the real world - I've burned many a dinner that way lol

message 31: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 3 comments Mandy wrote: "Or spending too much money on books. Now that I buy ebooks it only takes a couple of clicks and it's mine. It's amazing how many books you'll buy when you don't actually have to get in the car and ..."

I dont use ebooks, but I can relate to the ease with which you can 'click' and a book appears within a week or so, at your door, all shiny and new and waiting to be read. Mmmmm...love that (but my bank balance doesnt).

message 32: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 3 comments Another habit (but not a bad one IMO) is being glued to Goodreads. I can spend ages at the computer, reading what other people are reading, reading about that book, check a few reviews of it if it sounds good, add it to TBR list, seeing if local library has it, or adding it to my list of 'find it at the book exchange' books. Then going back and starting the entire process over again. Do I honestly think I am going to read all these books and authors I keep discovering? Does reality come into it? No.

message 33: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments OMG Maggie I'm hearing you girl - that's me in a nutshell! Too much time on the computer & not enough time reading the books I'm reading about!!!lol

message 34: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 3 comments Carmel wrote: "OMG Maggie I'm hearing you girl - that's me in a nutshell! Too much time on the computer & not enough time reading the books I'm reading about!!!lol"

Too much time on the computer .........that's me too - then wondering why I don't seem to be reading as much lately? Ha ha...what sense is there in that?

message 35: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 3068 comments I spend way to much money on books.
However, I guess in a sense thats fine, since I actually collect them, and would love to own my own private library one day. I must own about 400 books, and when you add up the cost of about $20 each...Id rather not think about it :S

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Maggie wrote: "Too much time on the computer .........that's me too - then wondering why I don't seem to be reading as much lately? Ha ha...what sense is there in that?"

OMG I am hearing an echo. The same thing is happening to me. :P

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments Maggie wrote: "Carmel wrote: "OMG Maggie I'm hearing you girl - that's me in a nutshell! Too much time on the computer & not enough time reading the books I'm reading about!!!lol"

Too much time on the computer ...."

*Raises hand in agreement* I am the same..ehehe

message 38: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Laura wrote: "Maggie wrote: "Carmel wrote: "OMG Maggie I'm hearing you girl - that's me in a nutshell! Too much time on the computer & not enough time reading the books I'm reading about!!!lol" Too much time on..."

Me too!!

message 39: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68387 comments Mod
Laura wrote: "Maggie wrote: "Carmel wrote: "OMG Maggie I'm hearing you girl - that's me in a nutshell! Too much time on the computer & not enough time reading the books I'm reading about!!!lol"

Too much time on..."

Ohhh, me too!! Love GR/Aussie Readers, I'm pretty sure I'm addicted..:)

message 40: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments With all of us having our hands up we could look like something from the movie "Mamma Mia" along with Meryl Streep, LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GILT4...

message 41: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I've worked out a way to get things done when they get a 'bit' out of hand....I don't turn the computer on until everything is done....oh, the withdrawals..:)

message 42: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 3068 comments A bad habit ive got with reading, is flicking the pages ahead to see how long left of the chapter. Even if im really enjoying it, I still need to know how long to go.
Unfortunately, doing this often lets me see the last line of that chapter-and plenty of times it has been a spoiler-and takes away all the excitement left in that chapter.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica I do that too. Why is that? It shouldn't matter how much is left if you're enjoying the story. It is fortunately not possible with an eReader. Maybe that will make me stop. :D

message 44: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn Rykiert | 315 comments Not having time for housework, unless I am listening to a book on my Ipod. Not interacting with the family as much as I should (but is that a bad thing?) I know all my friends thinks that I am terribly addicted and they can't understand how come I enjoy reading so much? After reading some of the messages here I don't feel so bad. It is good to be in contact with like minded people.

message 45: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn Rykiert | 315 comments Cheryl wrote: "Since joining GR I keep checking books out of the library instead of working on my TBR mountain. A few years ago I accumulated several bankers boxes of used books from spending my vacations at sec..."

I can relate to this Cheryl, I am continually booking books out from the library even though my TBR list is large, not to cound the library books I have at home. I keep telling myself I am going to read the books on my TBR list before booking anymore books out - but they spoil me so much with being allowed to borrow 30 books for 3 weeks adn they can reborrowed for up to another 6 weeks provided no one else has ordered them. Plus now that the E Books are available that's another 4 books for a week at a time. We are only allowed to book 15 items at a time and I am always up there.

message 46: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn Rykiert | 315 comments ★ Jessica ★ wrote: "A bad habit ive got with reading, is flicking the pages ahead to see how long left of the chapter. Even if im really enjoying it, I still need to know how long to go.
Unfortunately, doing this oft..."

I do that too and I always read the last page when I start a book - sometimes it does not tell you very much but other times it does - I like books to have a good ending.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I found I don't listen to the missus...but I think that maybe normal for us blokes anyway LOL!!!

message 48: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

David wrote: "I found I don't listen to the missus...but I think that maybe normal for us blokes anyway LOL!!!"

YYYEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

DID YOU SAY SOMETHING BRENDA!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!

message 50: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

YYYYEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!! LOL!!

« previous 1