Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Elita F. Daniels, "Tree of Life - Part I"

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (mrpld) | 155 comments Hello everyone, this thread is about Elita (my wife) who's been writing for a couple of years now and released her first published book in June this year (2010).

Mostly I am writing this because she has the talent of writing books where I have the talent of social forum interaction.

Her novelist site is at http://elitadaniels.com

For her first book, "Tree of Life - Part I", we also have a site, http://treeoflifethebook.com

Part II is planned to be coming out next year in June/July and I can assure you that there are plenty of other books coming out following that.

I must say, as her husband, I have greatly enjoyed watching the process from when the first kindling of ideas emerged right through the agonies of getting published and now the enjoyment of sharing her work with the world.

I'd like to start out by offering an excerpt from her bio that is located on her WWW site;

----

What inspired me

For as long as I can remember I have wanted to be an actress. The idea of exploring fascinating characters and great stories has always captivated me. That dream was going nowhere fast.

I had dabbled a bit with story writing but it wasn't until I wrote a silly screenplay for a competition, from which I received some pretty nice encouragement, that I decided to try my hand at a novel. But I had no story. I did, however, have a beautiful little scene in my mind of mother and son running from something or someone. As I began to get excited and ask myself more questions a story began to unfold. Then my beloved dog, whom I had loved and looked after for over thirteen years died in my hands, and my world went black. Not only for the loss of him, but the sudden revelation of mortality. I thought of all my loved ones, the fragility of life, and how I could not bare to lose any one of them. Here, a silhouette of a story was taking shape. But it wasn't until I came across a picture on the internet of a dark-haired young man, who was devastatingly beautiful, that my story rapidly came together. I did some research and discovered he was a character from Christopher Paolini's "Eragon", portrayed by Garrett Hedlund. It was decided instantly. I wanted more of him. All the feelings impressed on me when I look at him I put down on paper. And this fantastic story came alive, with characters so real I couldn't stop them from speaking in my mind, even at night when trying to sleep.

With the help of my stunningly gorgeous, amazing husband (putting up with my love affair with Garrett Hedlund), the help of my family and friends, and my beautiful dark-haired muse, an awesome story came into being. It was a wonderfully therapeutic, exciting experience and I look forward to many more great stories!

~Elita

----

Tree of Life

message 2: by Murray (new)

Murray Gunn (murraygunn) | 211 comments Paul,
Go on. Admit it. You really put this up because you're described as her 'stunningly gorgeous, amazing husband' and wanted to share it.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (mrpld) | 155 comments You genuinely got me to laugh then. She considers that her "get out of jail" ticket for me having to put up with her various inspiration sources. I really is something quite different being married to an author.

message 4: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Paul wrote: "You genuinely got me to laugh then. She considers that her "get out of jail" ticket for me having to put up with her various inspiration sources. I really is something quite different being marri..."

Actually I was really fascinated by what you said in the Introductions thread 'I have no trouble gabbling away for page upon page Elita will spend hours in torture trying to compose the perfect short reply'. I thought that gave a lot of insight into how ?some/most authors work!

message 5: by Murray (new)

Murray Gunn (murraygunn) | 211 comments An Australian friend in Bhutan who was invited to write a chapter on the role of IT in Gross National Happiness (with only a weeks notice) churned out 50 pages. He said afterward that he didn't have time to make it shorter.

Personally, I'll hammer out short pieces that get to the heart of the scene / message, then try to flesh things out to the length and detail people expect.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (mrpld) | 155 comments I'm going to be taking an educated guess here but what I've noticed Elita doing is that she starts with a seeding scene, from which her book grows out. No doubt she has several of these in any given book and eventually the forest of the story is formed.

One of the most painful things for her to do (that is inflicted on me ;) ) is to lose a scene because it doesn't fit in the ecosystem. . . that and characters that won't behave.

Paul.

message 7: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda What a contrast! I guess the moral of the story is that every author approaches writing differently...

message 8: by Elita (new)

Elita Daniels (elitadaniels) | 4 comments Paul, you are gorgeous and spot on. I do start with a seeding scene then it grows into a full blown story. I often find I'm flooded with ideas so that my fingers can barely keep up. What Murray said, if I understood correctly, about hammering out short pieces that get to the heart of the scene then from there fleshing it out, is precisely what I do too. But when it comes to social forums or writing updates and blogs, my brain shuts down and I agonize over it. But I'm learning!

Mandy I think you're absolutely right. I think it depends on the author. But I have noticed that many writers seem to share the trouble of trying to compose the perfect short reply. I remember one person saying he could write novels, but when it came to writing a simple note for his daughter's teacher, he kept scrunching it up and re-writing it.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 14, 2010 03:59PM) (new)

Elita wrote: "Paul, you are gorgeous and spot on. I do start with a seeding scene then it grows into a full blown story. I often find I'm flooded with ideas so that my fingers can barely keep up. What Murray sai..."

Welcome Elita, Paul is doing such a tremendous job on your behalf. It really is great to have you both here.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Elita, congratulations on your growing success & the wonderful job Paul is doing.

message 11: by Elita (new)

Elita Daniels (elitadaniels) | 4 comments Thanks so much Gail and David. Paul has been doing such a tremendous job. It really makes a difference when you have someone great to work with. I wouldn't be able to do it without him.

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (mrpld) | 155 comments I've got to say - initially I was a bit lost as to how to help Elita with her books. I wasn't much of a deep storyline/plot developer and nor did I read much. Thankfully as the book came towards being finished my role started to flesh out with the needing for typesetting, printing, website development, marketing (still working on that) and of course being a bit of an unstoppable force in the forums. :)

We really need to travel more but we both are hesitant to do so for various reasons - including the state of the car (who knows if we'll make the trip without it breaking down!).

Paul.

message 13: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (mrpld) | 155 comments I've added an ePub format 20 chapter preview to compliment the PDF. They're both available on Elita's site at http://elitadaniels.com/?page=books

message 14: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (mrpld) | 155 comments Well, we've changed things around yet again, now sitting at $3.99 which I think is the best pricepoint to make everyone happy.

We also reworked the eBook edition slightly for fixing up the scene break formats.

Kindle owners can get the book direct from Amazon now - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004...

Paul.

message 15: by Murray (new)

Murray Gunn (murraygunn) | 211 comments I just downloaded Tree of Life, Elita/Paul. I'm looking forward to reading it.

message 16: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (mrpld) | 155 comments Hi Murray, thanks for that, I did see the transaction come through (thanks for doing it via the WWW site).

If you have any complications whatsoever, just send me a private message :)

Regards,
Paul.

message 17: by Murray (new)

Murray Gunn (murraygunn) | 211 comments I haven't had any technical problems, Paul, but it's my first foray into romantic-fantasy so I may have a little trouble there... :)

message 18: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (mrpld) | 155 comments :cough cough: Oh my, how the dust and cobwebs have settled. This is what I get for taking 3 months off to do other things.

Hello again everyone, hard to believe how quick the time has slipped by.

I am pleased to announce that I've revamped Elita's WWW site and it's now a lot lighter in calories but at the same time has a lot more goodness in it :)

http://elitadaniels.com

Good to be back and around.
Paul.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Paul welcome back. We have missed having you around here. There have been a few changes since your last visit. :)

message 20: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (mrpld) | 155 comments Thank you Gail. I see the GR interface, while very similar has had some aesthetic improvements. Wonder what else has changed.

message 21: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 24 comments Paul the new site looks great !!! and the new cover !! they are all together ** grins ** first time I have seen the cover for book 2 ;) and so look forward to the Guardian ;0
kat

message 22: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (mrpld) | 155 comments Thankyou for the compliment Katrina.

Right now we're waiting on our editor to get back to us regarding Guardian... a slow painful wait ( we just want it "out there" but know it'd be a cardinal sin to do so :)

Hoping that the new WWW site will last at least another 12 months before I go crazy and rip it up again.

Paul :)

message 23: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (mrpld) | 155 comments Good news... for us at least... our editor is now working on Guardian. Guardian details are at http://elitadaniels.com/guardian

... I do need to rewrite that blurb... probably another 10x.