Goodreads Developers discussion

privacy & terms of service > Privacy Settings and API Calls

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adam (new)

Adam (jademason) | 66 comments Are certain fields censored when requesting data from users with strict privacy settings?

A YAGRAC user sent me a message to say that, while they can view the books on most shelves, one shelf returns an encoding error. I've seen encoding errors before on some API calls when the content includes certain unicode characters (MICHAEL mentioned this is due to a Rails bug that should be resolved when Goodreads updates to the next version).

The user reporting this error has a private profile, but the user is also on my friends list. When I pull up this user's shelf I do not receive an encoding error. This leads me to believe that, when the request is signed by the owner of the shelf, the response to the request includes some additional data. This additional data is causing an encoding error.

I haven't been able to determine which field is getting returned, but my guess is that it is the review body. I do not see any text in the review body from this user, but I do see the books. I see reviews from other users in my friends list that do not have private profiles.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) He definitely honor privacy settings in the api. Do you know which method?

message 3: by Adam (new)

Adam (jademason) | 66 comments reviews.list

When she calls it from my app on her READ shelf she gets an encoding error. When I call it on on her READ shelf I do not get an encoding error. We are in each other's friend list, so I have access to the list of books on the shelf, but there is some other piece of data that only she sees that is resulting in an encoding error.

If it will help, I can PM you with the user's ID.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) I'll try and fix the encoding error first and we'll work from there, it's liekly the same issue as in the other thread.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Somewhat related, when I request user.show on a user that is private but I'm friends with, I'm not getting their updates returned. I can see their updates on the site but not through the API. Any chance of getting this changed?

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) This should work, I'll have someoneone investigate this.

message 7: by Louise (new)

Louise | 36 comments Michael wrote: "Somewhat related, when I request user.show on a user that is private but I'm friends with, I'm not getting their updates returned. I can see their updates on the site but not through the API. Any..."

I can't replicate this. Can you let me know which API call you're using and what your params are? Are you passing in an update_filter?