Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > University Bans Social Media for a Week as a Social Exercise

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://www.npr.org/templates/story/st...

Harrisburg college students, see you soon...

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Two things in that story blew my mind.
1)"My biggest problem is not being able to find people," Harris says, "because I use Facebook and Twitter to find people at school, to see where they're at."
Having been in college pre-cellphone, I find this concern hilarious. I weep for the next generation of detectives and detective novels.
"We have Johnny Dunnit on three charges of murder, but he seems to have skipped town. AND HE HAS NO FACEBOOK PROFILE! How will we ever track him down???"

2)Even before hearing about the blackout, Acosta found it necessary to wean himself off the constant social media chatter.
"I had my phone set to receive Facebook, texts, tweets — and ring — so I had to turn that off between 3 and 6 in the morning so I can actually sleep during that time," Acosta says. "If you don't set the limits, it's a 24-hour thing."

3 and 6 in the morning? Only 3 hours of beepless sleep? I would go crazy.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I remember when all we had to track down our friends was a beeper/pager.

"PULL OVER! THERE'S A PAY PHONE! MY BEEPER SAYS 911!!!"

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) My husband uses an iphone for work, and has it set to beep any time he gets an email. That thing drives me crazy when he's at home.

message 5: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments I went to college without all this crap and managed to find people just fine. Imagine this: you call someone ahead of time and you make a plan to meet them at x o'clock and then you actually stick to that plan. It's friggin' amazing!

message 6: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments Youndyc wrote: "I went to college without all this crap and managed to find people just fine. Imagine this: you call someone ahead of time and you make a plan to meet them at x o'clock and then you actually stic..."

What a concept. Disconnecting from the grid for seven short days and clearing what's left of your already-shattered mind.

Some of us around here remember a time when liaisons with the opposite sex were facilitated face to face instead of via billions of miles of fiber optic cable and satellites, thereby removing most of the guesswork from what kids call “hooking up.” Let’s face it, there’s something infinitely more romantic about “love at first sight” than “love at first keystroke,” not to mention holding hands and watching the sun go down and the moon and stars come up on a warm summer evening instead of staring at a cathode ray tube and wiping the drool from your chin.

Feh...

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments What is this sun and moon and stars of which you speak oh wise one? :-)

message 8: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments Jim wrote: "What is this sun and moon and stars of which you speak oh wise one? :-)"

Snatch the pebble from my hand and you can leave here, Grasshopper.

Books Ring Mah Bell Heh.

We just got cell phones a few weeks ago. As we were shopping, the staff went into shock.

"How did people get in touch with you!??!"
(very little is that urgent and important that you can't leave a message on my home phone and I'll get back to ya...)
"How do you check Facebook?!"
On the computer, usually at home.

I remember when all we had to track down our friends was a beeper/pager.
HAHA!
Oh yes.

"I had my phone set to receive Facebook, texts, tweets — and ring — so I had to turn that off between 3 and 6 in the morning so I can actually sleep during that time," Acosta says. "If you don't set the limits, it's a 24-hour thing."
This sounds like another dimension of hell.

"We have Johnny Dunnit on three charges of murder, but he seems to have skipped town. AND HE HAS NO FACEBOOK PROFILE! How will we ever track him down???"
LOL!

So, as adults, can we do it?
How often do you guys check in at Goodreads? Facebook?
Can you go a week without?

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Clark wrote: "Jim wrote: "What is this sun and moon and stars of which you speak oh wise one? :-)"

Snatch the pebble from my hand and you can leave here, Grasshopper."

Better go get my glasses, I don't see no stinkin pebble.

message 11: by RandomAnthony (last edited Sep 14, 2010 06:59AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Can you go a week without?

Let's not crazy talk now...:)

I tend to check early in the morning and, if I'm not busy, off and on during the day, but I don't have to check in during the day and I rarely check at night anymore. When I first got on GR I checked in constantly (the miniam days, Bells) but I can go a day or two with only brief checks now, mostly to make sure no one spammed TC and to check book reviews. A lot of my work goes through email so it's easy and tempting, on a break, to slide over to FB and GR...

message 12: by Chantelle (new)

Chantelle (chantelle13) | 38 comments Jim wrote: "What is this sun and moon and stars of which you speak oh wise one? :-)"

Get google sky app on your phone. ;)

message 13: by Chantelle (new)

Chantelle (chantelle13) | 38 comments and no, I couldn't go a week without. :p

message 14: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24071 comments Mod
If only social media had been banned at Rutgers the week of Sept. 19...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/30/nyr...

Terrible story.

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments It's sad that people even think of doing these things.

message 16: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) kids are just mean to each other...some wear it as a mantle of pride and accomplishment. where is the love and tolerance?

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments There have been several suicides in the news - I think there's a second one today, actually - of gay kids who have been bullied and harassed. It's disgusting.

message 18: by Meels (last edited Sep 30, 2010 09:23AM) (new)

Meels (amelia) It's funny, other than my husband my phone really hardly ever rings (we don't have a land line, just cell phones). I use the map function more than the actual phone.

I remember the Queen Bee when I was in school. Some days she was nice to you. Other days, it was your turn to be the target. She was a monster in my opinion, but I was immature and weak; I actually CARED what she thought. I didn't out grow that until about 17. Sad, so sad.

message 19: by Jaime (last edited Sep 30, 2010 09:45AM) (new)

Jaime | 158 comments I know someone that told this girl that he didnt call/text her to tell her his plans changed because he lost his cell phone and he felt so disconnected from the world (w/o facebook/e-mail/etc)...he hooked up his old phone (that just made calls, wasn't a smart phone) but it just wasnt the same.

absolutely ridiculous.

message 20: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I'd die.

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori I've been reading today that it might not be the peeping Toms (altho it's terrible) because he wrote on his social networks that he thought it was a joke, he didn't sound embarrassed and that he was thinking of a great prank to get back.

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori Yep. Mine was lost in translation. I think I need to eat something!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.