The Sword and Laser discussion

How many books do you read per month?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard Guion (giantsizegeek) | 158 comments I have been reading more since I joined Goodreads and this group, which is great. Previously, I was lucky if I read 1 book a month. Last month I read 4 books.

I notice some people are finishing books every 2-3 days. They must have no other distractions.

How many books do you guys read in a month? Let's say the typical book length is 300 pages.

For the really prolific readers, is this your primary leisure activity? Where do you read the most often? At home or during travel?

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelbetts) | 256 comments I, too, have been reading more since following this group. I finished The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress in a little under 2 weeks, and am now working to finish a couple more before the month is out. It's sort of refreshing, like reminding myself that I actually can read more than I have been. Taking an hour every day to sit in a quiet room and read is wonderful.

message 3: by Rick (new)

Rick Pasley (hikr3) | 71 comments I read a whole lot more in the winter and spring than I do in the summer and fall. At most I will read 4 to 5 300 page equivalant books (I like fantasy which rarely is as short as 300 pages!). During the warm weather when I am out doing things more often in will drop to 1 or even less a month. Just depends on how drawn into a book I get.

message 4: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cm_cameron) | 50 comments My goal is to read 50 books this year, which means I would have to read a little over 4 books a month. So I try to read at least 4 per month. Doing well so far. Maybe I'll try for 75 next year.

I do most of my reading in the evenings, alternating it with writing every other night. If I have a day with nothing going on, I'll use it for reading.

message 5: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4120 comments I couldn't begin to count how many books I read a month. My reading habits haven't really changed since joining this group with the exception that I now read more science fiction. ;)

I almost always read two books at a time, one in audio form and one in print/Kindle form. But each month changes, depending on what's going on at work, my health, if there's some new video game out, also the length of the books.

In August, I read 6 or 7 I think, but I'd been on vacation. But at the end of vacation, I started a new book that's 757 pages long and then went on an audio book drought AND had work kick up. So, even though we're 12 days into September, I haven't finished reading any books. Eh, it varies.

message 6: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments I average 2 paper books a month. I have 2 toddlers that keep my wife and I very busy, so we don't read as much as we wished. On audio I read anywhere between 2-5 a month depending on length. I have a 1 hr commute (one way) so I get a lot of reading done this way.

message 7: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4120 comments Micah wrote: "On audio I read anywhere between 2-5 a month depending on length. I have a 1 hr commute (one way) so I get a lot of reading done this way.
"

Sometimes I wish I had a longer commute, so that I would have more time to listen to audio books. My commute is 5 miles which takes 10 minutes if I hit every light. I do listen at the gym, which is good motivation to go to the gym more often. :)

This past week, though, I decided I didn't like either of the books I had in my queue and wasn't ready to start Atlas Shrugged, so I listened to music at the gym until my Audible rollover day (2 days ago). :)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Usually 4-8, depending on my mood

message 9: by Leighann (new)

Leighann (zhelenstilo) About 10 for me, though it varies wildly (from 5 to 17 so far this year) depending on my mood and what else distracts me. Of course, I'm currently jobless and thus have lots of time to spend reading.

Still, reading is one of my main leisure activities, and I'm the type who carries a book or some other reading material everywhere I go.

message 10: by Ricky (new)

Ricky Bates | 14 comments I average about two to three a week, fiction. Non fiction takes me a bit longer.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2836 comments I just read my 100th book of the year yesterday, and yes I keep track. I like lists! The number is higher this year because I've intentionally been reading more poetry, and of course those books are shorter. For a while I was reading a book a day but that was during the luxury of summer and I'm busier now!

So per month, that's a little more than 10, a wide variety of fiction/non-fiction, literature/sci-fi. I definitely read more sci-fi and fantasy since joining this group (that was my goal from the start), but I'm not sure I read "more."

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimherdt) | 71 comments Before e-readers and this forum, I was lucky to finish 1 book every three months. I'm now averaging about two every month. Too many interests not enough time.

Regards, Jim

message 13: by Charles (last edited Sep 13, 2010 03:08PM) (new)

Charles (charlesh) | 13 comments I average 1.975 books per week. Yep, I've a list (thanks to my father's suggestion).

Almost forgot to answer your other questions...I read mostly at home, but have a book with me at all times (Kindle is a dream come true). I know a few others who read more so two books a week doesn't seem prolific, but it is one of my leisure activities (programming and woodworking are the other two). The rest of my family spends more time watching TV than reading. I grew up without TV, so any more than 2-3 hours a week watching TV and I get itchy to read, code, or rev up the table saw.

message 14: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Looks like I average about seven per month. Back in January I managed twelve, but that was when we had three blizzards in one week.

I usually read several books at once, so it might take me a month to get through a big doorstop fantasy, but I'm still polishing off Hard Case Crime books and Star Trek novels.

message 15: by Scott (new)

Scott (smrathburn) | 36 comments Wow there are some hardcore readers here! Since finding this group and kindle I'm reading more but still average about 1 book a month. I'll have to up my game.

message 16: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I've upped my book consumption a lot by listening to audio books. An audio book takes me 1-2 weeks to listen to. That's 2-4 books a month right there. I usually finish reading about 2 print books per week unless I'm digging into something really long. I always have two or more print books going at any given time.

I just checked my 2010 shelf and I've finished 95 books so far this year. That's 9-10 per month.

message 17: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cm_cameron) | 50 comments Smrathburn wrote: "Wow there are some hardcore readers here! Since finding this group and kindle I'm reading more but still average about 1 book a month. I'll have to up my game."

Seriously. I thought I was some type of literature high roller with my 4 books a month, and then Bam! This thread comes along and knocks me down a few pegs.

message 18: by Hilary (new)

Hilary A (hilh) | 40 comments I read depending on time I have and availability of books. Unlike most of you here I don't have an e-reader *jealous* and I cannot read a book the first time around using audiobooks. I typically read 4-6 books a month.

message 19: by Deborah (last edited Sep 14, 2010 11:01AM) (new)

Deborah | 69 comments I read about three books a week. When goodreads added the stats function, I added dates to my books where I could and realized that I only read one book a week until I stopped subscribing to the newspaper and reading multiple magazines.

I read all of the time and always have at least one book with me. If you want to read more try keeping a book with you and read it while you are waiting for something or someone.

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy Pilkington | 104 comments I seem to be hitting a stride of about 4-8 per month, depending on length. Before my Kindle, picking up books was a bit of a chore because I would have to go to Chapters every couple of days and it wasn't on the drive to/from work, and I'm not good at buying a stack and working through it. I get a bit of ADD when I see a stack of unread books and can't concentrate on any of them. So I would end up reading on or two new books and then resorting to a reread until I could get out again. Not only is the Kindle perfect for buying books anywhere, but if I leave it asleep in the current book, I can't see the big number next to my "Unread" collection (which sits at 19 right now, gah!).

I seem to average an hour or so per 100 pages and an hour or so of reading a day, so that's a book every couple of days or so. I'm on my sixth (
Warbreaker) this month so far.

I also keep a list, but I got one step farther by getting the ReadMore app for my iPod Touch. It doesn't just log your books, it's a timer for your reading sessions. It's why I can oh-so-geekily say that I have read 68% of Warbreaker over 3 days and a total 7.2 hours of reading time. It estimates that it'll take me 3.4 more hours to finish. :)

LOL. For some reason, I find it motivating.

message 21: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments You people are superhuman.

message 22: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments aldenoneil wrote: "You people are superhuman."

Not really. I read at lunch and instead of watching TV before I go to bed. I listen to audiobooks while filing, vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms, working out, etc. You'd be amazed at how much reading can get done that way.

(The length of the book makes a difference too.)

message 23: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments aldenoneil wrote: "You people are superhuman."

Smrathburn wrote: "Wow there are some hardcore readers here! Since finding this group and kindle I'm reading more but still average about 1 book a month. I'll have to up my game."

A few years ago, I had a job with long hours. The only time I had for reading was my lunchbreak; by the time I got home, I was too tired to focus my eyes on a book and I ended up vegging in front of the TV instead. There were times when it took me two months to get through a book.

Then I started listening to TWiT and heard the Audible commercials. I thought it sounded interesting and signed up. One credit wasn't enough, so I upgraded to the Platinum plan, took advantage of their sales to stock up, and used Librivox to get public domain books.

Now I have time to actually read, but I still use audiobooks for most of it.

message 24: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
3 a month seems to my average. It'd probably be less if it weren't for my daily commute on a train. I haven't been bit by audiobook bug yet, so I'm not consuming books while multi-tasking, and I'm skilled at rapidly conking out when I read in bed, so the commute is my main reading time.

message 25: by Bill (new)

Bill (billymac) Jlawrence wrote: "3 a month seems to my average. It'd probably be less if it weren't for my daily commute on a train. I haven't been bit by audiobook bug yet, so I'm not consuming books while multi-tasking, and I'..."

That's mine as well. I wish I could read faster but I get distracted and my mind wanders very easily.
I'm not into audiobooks.

message 26: by Welwyn (new)

Welwyn Wilton Katz | 46 comments Depends on the length of the book, and whether I'm researching for my next bit of writing. Medium length books, no other distractions, oh, ten or so a month. Otherwise, maybe only one.

message 27: by Kyanni (new)

Kyanni | 18 comments It all depends on the book and how long it takes to capture my attention. The The Windup Girl took me about 6 weeks to finish. Granted, it was a busy time for me, but in less than a month, I finished the First Law trilogy, The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged, and Last Argument of Kings, and the Hunger Games trilogy, The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay. The new Kindle (3rd gen) with the reading light does help to extend my reading time at night since my spouse is a morning person.

message 28: by John (new)

John (johntai) | 35 comments I joined this group especially to force me to read regularly. I usually have short periods in which I read some books, and then stop for a long time.

My longest reading time was when I joined S&L, 6 months and 12 books. Unfortunately I got sidetracked by Cloud Atlas, I really couldn't read it and I just stopped reading altogether. I'm back now with Dragonflight (loved it), and hope to keep reading at least the book of the month. Ideally I'd like to read 2-3 books per month, so that I can continue reading the series I start with the picks of the month (still have to continue Foundation, Farseer, Pern).

And of course I have many crime books I'd like to read...

message 29: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6718 comments Mod
I'm shocked to find that I'm currently averaging 6-7 books a month so far this year (between audio and text).

Last year I did roughly 35 books total. The vast majority of which I read after joining GR/S&L last summer.

This year I've already done 23. At least 3 of them were in the 1000 page region too, and I'm about to do a 4th.

I think I'm going to blow past my original goal of 48 books (4/month). I don't expect my pace of 6-7 to keep up. That will probably drop closer to 4-5 maybe.

There is always another book to read. Or 5.

I've definitely cut out other stuff (gaming, TV) in favor of reading more.

I do a lot more Audiobooks now in general. I listen on my short commute, at the grocery store, doing yard/house work, etc. It all adds up.

Not to mention now that Spring is here I'm getting in more audio book time on my bike rides.

message 30: by Buffy (new)

Buffy (buffywuffy) I read about 7 - 8 books per month. I take the Underground to work so that's a 30 minute ride (one way) during which I can read about 40 pages. I also read while I'm cooking dinner (which is probably time when I should be tidying the house, but screw it...) and I read a bit before bed. I probably wouldn't be able to read that much if I didn't take the train to work though. That's when I rip through most of my reading. I also read a lot on the weekends.

message 31: by Pioup (new)

Pioup | 7 comments My average for last year was 5 a month (well, 5,333), but it varies a lot: I read 8 books in Mars, and only one in April and we're half-way to the end of the month.
Taking the train to work and school was a good time to read, I miss that. It was also good at keeping me in the habit of reading.

message 32: by Janet (new)

Janet | 51 comments I read about 4 books a month, given your page length. I typically read at least one way on my 20 min commute (I love short chapters!), during lunch at work 1-2 days a week, and a half hour before bed. But, once a week or so I typically binge read a book for a few hours, which is how I get the bulk done.

I do watch tv, but I try to keep it now to shows I care enough to DVR, and I use that time to work on craft projects like sewing or painting, or to just zone out for a bit after a busy work day.

message 33: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 34 comments I read 3-6 per month depending on the books. I read at lunch at work and most evenings before I go to bed. If a book is really engrossing I can chew through it really quickly, but some others can take a while. I spent months reading the five books in George RR Martin's Fire and Ice series! My kindle has really increased my reading volume because now I always have it with me. I would have never managed to drag those giant Fire and Ice books around in hardback.

message 34: by Scott (last edited Apr 18, 2013 07:32AM) (new)

Scott | 312 comments I used to be a really voracious reader growing up, but between my undergraduate and graduate schoolwork, my reading has really slowed in the past several years to the point where I'd only read 3-4 pleasure books a year. That was partly why I decided to join S&L- to get into reading again. I'm glad to say it's worked, as I'm currently reading my 11th book of the year (plus DragonFlight), so I guess that works out to be 3 books a month or so on average.

I do most of my reading on the weekend (usually while I have a sporting event or something on TV). Although, this month, I'm finding myself reading more during the weekday evenings. Typically, I try to read 100 pages, give or take based on chapter endings, per sitting.

message 35: by Joel (new)

Joel Szerlip (worldofjoel) | 5 comments My goal for the year is 25 books. I am on pace to exceed that and probably hit 30.

I have an hour commute each way so I exclusively "read" audio books. Audible is the best. I tend to also get the lengthier audio books 20-40 hrs to get my money’s worth so the 2 a month could probably be a bit higher.

Currently enjoying The Name of the Wind, and can't wait to read the second book in the series.

message 36: by Rodrigo (new)

Rodrigo (morcego) | 188 comments Anywhere from 2 to 10. My life is pretty chaotic, with work (both technical and managing my company), being back at college (law school) and all the assorted facts of like, so it will vary wildly from month to month.

My goal for 2013 is 50 books, and I finished 23 books already.

message 37: by Kim (new)

Kim | 477 comments I average around 10 books a month. It used to be lower before I picked up a Kindle. It goes everywhere with me and I read any chance I get.

message 38: by Raphael (last edited Apr 18, 2013 09:01AM) (new)

Raphael | 14 comments My lifetime reading rate has been immensely variable but the estimated average is ~100 books/year. Some years I've read almost nothing, others I completed a shorter novel every other day.
Kindle has made an immense difference for me as well.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2836 comments I read about 15 books a month right now.

message 40: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments I will average a book every 2 or 3 days, though page count can skew that one way or another.Reading is just what i do when I'm not either writing or actually speaking to another person. Audio and ebooks are a godsend as physical brail takes up way to much space to keep around.

message 41: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Maybe 1 or 2?
I read slow as crap and can't understand how everyone manages to read so quickly. :(

message 42: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4120 comments In a year, it really varies. If I could count all the procedures, memos, and documents I read (and write) for work, the number would be WAAAY up there. To some extent, my reading depends on how I feel (the worse I feel, the less likely I am to read), what else is going on (the more I travel, the more I read which is why last year was pretty good), and how much I'm working (really when I get home from working 12-14 hours, I have no desire to read or listen to a book).

This year, so far, is much worse/slower than last year.

message 43: by Neil (new)

Neil | 165 comments Mine varies a lot. I ended last year and started this one with a 4 month stretch of not reading at all. I read nothing in January but then got though 5 in February and 2 in March and getting close to finishing my 3rd in April so far.
When I am actually reading and not being distracted by TV and Computer Games I probably get through one a week bit that does depend a fair bit of course on the length of the book.
I set myself a goal this year of 24 so I am ahead of schedule so far but I want to read the complete A Storm of Swords at over 1000 pages which will obviously take a bit longer than the 160 page book I am reading now. Most of the reason I only got 2 books read in March was that one of them was A Clash of Kings which is pretty chunky itself.
Is it bad I want to get in a couple of short quick reads to bump up my average a bit? :)

message 44: by Buffy (new)

Buffy (buffywuffy) Joseph wrote: "Maybe 1 or 2?
I read slow as crap and can't understand how everyone manages to read so quickly. :("

You shouldn't feel bad about it. We're all different. Perhaps by reading slowly you're able to savour the experience of each book better.

message 45: by Alan (new)

Alan (professoralan) I started keeping track of this around 2005 or so. I used to read about 10 books per month. Most of these were unabridged audio, so when I discovered podcasts, my listening to books desreased. No I read about 5 or 6 per month.

message 46: by Paul (last edited Apr 18, 2013 10:11AM) (new)

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments Since last may Ive been running about a book every 3 to 4 days on average.

Mostly because I stagger a bunch of books at the same time. Like 2 E-books 2+ Paper and an audio book.I have 30 books finished so far this year with two more I will finish this week.

Have Some big books running right now so I slowed the last couple weeks reading First Law, Under the Dome, Girl Who Kicked the Hornets nest, and Kafka at the shore all running at the same time.

message 47: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments John wrote: "Unfortunately I got sidetracked by Cloud Atlas, I really couldn't read it and I just stopped reading altogether."

Yeah Cloud Atlas Stopped me dead for a bit...it killed my joy of reading and was discouraged...had to scrap it and re-find my bliss :)

Cloud Atlas, along with Twilight, and Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs were probably some of the most horrendous soul stealing reads I ever tried to suffer through.

message 48: by Neil (new)

Neil | 165 comments Paul wrote: "Yeah Cloud Atlas Stopped me dead for a bit...it killed my joy of reading and was discouraged...had to scrap it and re-find my bliss :)"

I stopped at about a third of the way through. It was the book that kicked off my several month hiatus from reading altogether. :)

message 49: by Buffy (new)

Buffy (buffywuffy) Neil wrote: "Paul wrote: "Yeah Cloud Atlas Stopped me dead for a bit...it killed my joy of reading and was discouraged...had to scrap it and re-find my bliss :)"

I stopped at about a third of the way through. ..."

I couldn't make it through that book either. I stopped reading by page 14 and moved on to the next one in my tbr list.

message 50: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments It varies for me. Usually at least one a month. Shorter books I can do three or so. Just depends on how into the book I am, how much time I have and how into gaming I am.

« previous 1