Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Different Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I do consider my self a fan of fanasty, but I am not a fan of Harry Potter. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for YA fanasty that isn't Harry Potter.I have also read the The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan and The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins series.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments If you want a really different fantasy, I just finished the new novel Paranormalcy. It is't my favorite book of all times, but it is a fast read and definitely not like anything else I have ever read. About paranormals with a strong fey influence. It's definitely YA.

But the very best fantasy books for me are the Mortal Instruments books (City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass) by Cassandra Clare.

message 3: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 11, 2010 11:10AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I'd almost consider Mortal Instruments Urban Fantasy, not Fantasy because they're set in modern day. I like them though. :)

Isn't Tamora Pierce fantasy? We have a few fans in here I'm pretty sure, but haven't tried any yet (I plan on it for a reading challenge later in the year).

If you like Hunger Games try (not fantasy but more Dystopian like HG)
The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner

Incarceron (Incarceron, #1) by Catherine Fisher I didn't get to finish this one due to RL stuff, but the first 2/3 of it were decent, lmao. It's labeled as Fantasy because of the alternate world, but almost feels steampunk.

Not trying to hijack here, but since the OP is asking for Fantasy recs, there's one I'm curious about...

Obernewtyn (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #1) by Isobelle Carmody Has anyone read this series? I'm interested in trying it.

message 4: by Danya (new)

Danya | 3 comments Yep, Tamora Pierce is most certainly fantasy and I'd definitely recommend either her Alanna series or her Immortals series!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments I asked for a definition of urban fantasy awhile back and it got so confusing I decided I would not even think about it! Fantasy means characters that are not human to me. But then some people consider the Outlander series fantasy because of Time travel so I decided labels are just too confusing.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) All these definitions give me a headache Terry!

message 7: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 11, 2010 11:32AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Haha. Sorry. Didn't mean to be so precise about it. I just know that sometimes people are looking for "otherworld" or "magical land" type books when they are looking for fantasy, or I wouldn't have mentioned it. Didn't mean to make an issue of it because I liked your recs. :)

UF is actually a form of fantasy. The "urban" just means set in today's world (like NYC in MI) instead of some far off magical realm. Although, I guess that makes Percy Jackson a cross between two genres because it combines a magical world with today's world. Come to think of it, MI has Idris (or whatever that shadowhunter place is called) so...

Maybe you're right Heidi. Definitions can be a headache!

message 8: by Danya (new)

Danya | 3 comments Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "I asked for a definition of urban fantasy awhile back and it got so confusing I decided I would not even think about it! Fantasy means characters that are not human to me. But then some people co..."

I know, the labels can be really confusing sometimes! I always thought time travel fit under the 'science fiction' category? Wikipedia defines urban fantasy as "a work that is set primarily in a city and contains fantasy elements." All the labeling does get complicated though, especially when a novel contains elements of more than one genre/category.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Oops, how did I forget the Study series? These are fantasy, and classified as either adult or YA, since you can buy them in both sections at the bookstore.

Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Fire Study (Study, #3) by Maria V. Snyder

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments Loved the first two! Very disappointed in the third.

message 11: by flajol (last edited Sep 11, 2010 02:03PM) (new)

flajol | 2 comments I love Snyder's Glass series too - set in the same world but exploring a different facet of it. Storm Glass (Glass, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Sea Glass (Glass, #2) by Maria V. Snyder

message 12: by flajol (new)

flajol | 2 comments Have you tried the Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner? They are excellent. Don't read reviews beforehand though - you should go into them completely spoiler-free. I'd also recommend the Darkangel trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce.

The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1) by Megan Whalen Turner The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2) by Megan Whalen Turner The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3) by Megan Whalen Turner A Conspiracy of Kings (The Queen's Thief, #4) by Megan Whalen Turner
The Darkangel (Darkangel Trilogy, #1) by Meredith Ann Pierce A Gathering of Gargoyles (Darkangel Trilogy, #2) by Meredith Ann Pierce The Pearl of the Soul of the World (Darkangel Trilogy, #3) by Meredith Ann Pierce

message 13: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments My favorite fantasy series right now is Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms, #1) by Kristin Cashore . That one and the second in the series are on my top ten of all time list. If you're looking for high fantasy or other world fantasy, Terry Brooks has several fantastic series. If you like the MG stuff like Percy Jackson, you may want to try The Dark Is Rising Sequence (#1-5) by Susan Cooper by Susan Cooper. Still some of my favorite books of all time and the first time I read it was in eighth grade.

message 14: by Snail in Danger (Sid) (last edited Sep 12, 2010 06:33AM) (new)

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 36 comments Okay, looking at your other books I get the impression you like books that are action-y. (Yes. That's a word now.) Anyway, I agree with the recommendation of the Megan Whalen Turner books. Provided you aren't only interested in stories which take place in "our world, only slightly different." You might also like Robin McKinley's The Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword. And also Finder and Ariel.

If the thing you don't like about Harry Potter is that magic is something humans in general can use, though, you'll want to disregard all the recommendations in this post, except the Megan Whalen Turner books, and maybe Ariel. (Well, technically, in the McKinley books it's something that only some humans can use.)

message 15: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 20 comments I have a new fantasy YA series if you want to check out the 1st installment: Solid
i'd love to hear your feedback!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments I am currently reading a DIFFERENT fantasy. There are three parts to it and I am part way through the second. Sometimes LJ Smith can write really well and so far this is one of them. It is The Forbidden Game. I still haven't figured out exactly what is going on - but that is "a different fantasy!"

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) /hug Terry. I feel so guilty about talking about definitions now. :) I'm actually interested in Forbidden Game. The concept sounds like it could be fun to read about.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments Laughing, Stacia. Just because I am too dense to understand the definitions! Forbidden Game is definitely different. One thing LJ Smith can do is invent hot guys (without being graphic) and this one (Julian) is evil, really evil, and yet still tempting. I have no idea where it is leading/going.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Stacia our bark is worse than our bite!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've definitely got some new books to read! But, talking about percy Jackson, I just fininshed The Last Olympian and I want to draw your attention to the afterwords. Rick Riordan says, and I quote, "As the FIRST Canp Half-Blood series draws to a close..." Does thisa second Demi-God series. I'm hoping.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan

Second series.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

oh

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I suggest the Abhorsen Trilogy (Sabriel, Lirael, Ahborsen) by Garth Nix. His books are my favorites!

message 24: by Jason (new)

Jason (foreverjuly) | 176 comments You should check out Nancy Farmer's The Sea of Trolls!

message 25: by Wendy F (last edited Sep 26, 2010 06:59AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Everyone in my other group was raving about The Bartimaeus Trilogy Boxed Set, which starts with The Amulet of Samarkand. When I looked it up on GR it had amazing reviews. I haven't read it personally yet but I did order the entire series off Amazon because everything I read about it was so amazing.

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellezink) | 168 comments Jason wrote: "You should check out Nancy Farmer's The Sea of Trolls!"

Haven't read that one but my sixteen-year-old daughter LOVES at (and House of the Scorpion, too)!
<3

MZ

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Tried the pellinor series by Alison Croggon? there are four books in the series The Naming The First Book of Pellinor by Alison Croggon The Riddle The Second Book of Pellinor  by Alison Croggon The Crow The Third Book of Pellinor by Alison Croggon and The Singing The Fourth Book of Pellinor (Pellinor Series) by Alison Croggon

Rachael (pagesofpiper) (piperbunny) If you're after a dystopian kind of fantasy,, you could try Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld series.

Rachael (pagesofpiper) (piperbunny) Let me know what you think when you get round to it :D