Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > To what food/drink can/should one add alcohol?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments There's an article in the NY Times today about a whiskey milkshake:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/08/din...

I think we talked briefly once about food with beer in it...what else do you got? What else can you spike, so to speak?

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I really like a good vodka sauce on penne noodles.

I had a great Brandy cake once, but have no idea how to bake it.

message 3: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments Bailey's and coffee.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Beer pancakes. Beer bread. Beer battered fried things.
I spike my smoothies sometimes.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Bananas Foster - Yummmmmmmmmmmmm!

message 6: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Does vodka sauce actually have vodka in it? Doesn't taste like it. I would have to say that is my, above all others, favorite pasta sauce.

Trifle is horrible.

Sarah Pi, you rock! (smoothies don't)

message 7: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Gak. I like my custard hot and running over a nice treacle sponge pudding....Mmmmmmmm.

message 8: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) 'Cept there's no alcohol in treacle sponge pud. Sorry.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Chocolate mousse!

Steak & Guinness stew.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Amelia wrote: "'Cept there's no alcohol in treacle sponge pud. Sorry."

This just sounds wrong.

message 11: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Treacle Sponge Pudding, or the fact that there is no alcohol in it?

message 12: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I was just asking why Jim said "This just sounds wrong."

No, I'd rather have the Tiramisu, thanks.

message 13: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments First thing I learned to cook with booze was Milwaukee Beef and Beer. Delicious chunks of inexpensive cut of beef, sliced onions and two bottles of beer. Served with poppyseeds over egg noodles. Easy and the beer tenderizes the hell out of the beef. Yum.

message 14: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments I cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Amelia wrote: "I was just asking why Jim said "This just sounds wrong."

No, I'd rather have the Tiramisu, thanks."

The fact that pudding was not spelled out, just my sick mind.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Cynthia wrote: "I cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

Heh.

message 17: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Someone talk to me in specifics about beef with beer. I marinate with beer sometimes but I've never left it in. My mom was telling me something about braised chicken cooked in beer but I didn't get the details.

I don't like booze in my desserts for some strange reason. I like dessert. I like booze. But not in the same bite.

That bourbon shake sounds divine, RA. Especially the part about "a sizable gobbet of Nutella." But I'd like to know how they incorporate it into the shake. In my experience, Nutella becomes solid when it touches ice cream.

message 18: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments Every year someone gives me a birthday card with that joke on it about the wine in the food. Maybe they are trying to tell me something?

message 19: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments "a sizable gobbet of Nutella."

Hm. Can anyone define "gobbet"?

message 20: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments Smetchie wrote: "Someone talk to me in specifics about beef with beer. I marinate with beer sometimes but I've never left it in. My mom was telling me something about braised chicken cooked in beer but I didn't get..."
Ya want I should send you the Milwaukee Beef and Beer Recipe Gretchen?

message 21: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I'm picturing fist-sized.

message 22: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Cynthia wrote: "Ya want I should send you the Milwaukee Beef and Beer Recipe Gretchen?
"

That would be fantastic!! Could you?

message 23: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Cynthia wrote: "Ya want I should send you the Milwaukee Beef and Beer Recipe Gretchen? "

Me too please.

message 24: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments K, I will post it on this thread. It's a perfect fall weather dish.

message 25: by Meels (last edited Sep 09, 2010 03:29PM) (new)

Meels (amelia) Jim, let me confess now that I am a TERRIBLE speller. If it weren't for spell check I would be unemployable. I typically spell check every post. But, Pud is a common Brit shortening of the word, especially when using it in reference to dessert, not actual pudding, as in Jello pudding.

Seriously, I just spell checked that bit and I HAD spelled a word wrong. So if you're gonna tease me every time, you're going to wear out your fingers...

message 26: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I can't help it. I'm a conceptual learner. Memorizing just doesn't work for me. The sad thing is there are words that I know will be wrong, because I spell them wrong every time. You'd think I'd learn. But, I don't...

message 27: by Phil (last edited Sep 09, 2010 04:51PM) (new)

Phil | 11605 comments Amelia wrote: " But, Pud is a common Brit shortening of the word,..."

Please do NOT go back and delete your post. If you did, we would have to suffer through someone

::eyeballs kevin::

making a joke about "pulling your pud."

message 28: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24073 comments Mod
Jim wrote: "I really like a good vodka sauce on penne noodles.

I had a great Brandy cake once, but have no idea how to bake it."

Yay. Two of my faves.

message 29: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Amelia,

I wasn't ripping on your spelling at all, it's just that pud had a different meaning to me, and at least Phil will admit knowing it.

message 30: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Jim wrote: "I really like a good vodka sauce on penne noodles.

I had a great Brandy cake once, but have no idea how to bake it."

Yay. Two of my faves."

That's because you have excellent taste.

message 31: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Cynthia wrote: "I cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

you, me, and Julia Childs!

message 32: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) i have a yummy rum cake recipe.

message 33: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments Milwaukee-Style Beef & Beer

Source: my college friend Susan, who went on the be a cookbook editor and food editor at the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Not sure what her source was, but it looks like a church cookbook.

Ingredients:
2 T. Vegetable oil
1 1/2 lbs. lean beef rump or chuck, cut in 1-inch cubes
2 1/2 c. thinly sliced onions
3/4 c. beef broth
1 T. brown sugar
1 large garlic clove, pressed (I use more)
1 T. chopped fresh parsley
1 bay leaf
1 t. salt
1/4 t. dried thyme
1/4 t. black pepper
1 (12 ounce) bottle beer, room temp.
2 quarts water
1 1/2 t. salt
1 T. oil
5 cups uncooked egg noodles (10 oz.)
1 T. cornstarch
1 T. poppy seeds for garnish

Directions:
Heat 2 T. oil in large skillet. Add beef cubes and brown on all sides. Remove beef cubes, set aside.

Saute onions in pan dripping until tender and golden. Add broth, brown sugar, garlic, parsley, bay leaf, 1 t. salt, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil.

Return cooked beef to pan, pour beer (slowly) over meat.

Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours until meat is tender.

Bring 2 quarts water to boil in heavy saucepan. Add 1 1/2 t. salt and 1 T. oil. Gradually add noodles, making sure water continues to boil. Cook noodles, uncovered, until tender but firm, stirring occasionally. Drain noodles.

Place noodles in large serving dish. Keep warm.

In small bowl, mix cornstarch and 1 T. water to make a paste. Slowly stir cornstarch paste into beef mixture. Cook briefly, until thickened, stirring occasionally, 5 min. or so. Remove bay leaf. Serve over hot cooked noodles, Sprinkle with poppy seeds.

Serves 4-6.

message 34: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Thanks Cynthia!

message 35: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments You are welcome Jim! This is not a recipe to impress foodie friends, but for a football weekend gathering, it is perfect. I usually make a double batch in a large dutch oven. You can definitely up the amount of garlic, pepper, thyme and parsley. Also some fresh parsley at the end with the poppy seeds adds a bit of color.

message 36: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments That sounds delicious and my husband is gonna be thrilled!

message 37: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments This recipe is total husband bait.

message 38: by Heidi (last edited Sep 10, 2010 07:47AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Have any of y'all tried beer butt chicken? I always hear about it (we even sold accessories at the kitchen store for this particular recipe - contraptions to hold the beer can in place inside the body cavity), but I've never tried it. I do hear it's good, though.

Poor little fella...

message 39: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Creech | 100 comments This recipe looks great!
I know a lot of people that have made beer can chicken, but I have never tried it. It involves putting a half-full (or half-empty, depending on your outlook) beer can in the cavity of a chicken and sitting it upright on the grill until the chicken is fully cooked. I'm sure it'd be easy enough to find more detailed instructions. I also put a can of beer in the crock pot with pork ribs.

message 40: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments A chicken taking a dump in a Bud?

message 41: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) IMO, a Bud is worthy of such action.

message 42: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments True that Larry!

message 43: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) It's Pud. as in Pudding, not pud as in dud, stud, mud.

I will not delete my post, Phil. I will FIGHT UNTIL I AM HEARD! (Kidding, I'm done now, but I won't delete.)

message 44: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) Heidi wrote: "Have any of y'all tried beer butt chicken? I always hear about it (we even sold accessories at the kitchen store for this particular recipe - contraptions to hold the beer can in place inside the ..."
We call it 'stand up chicken" at our house. I make this often but I don't use Bud, I use Miller lite.
It's so easy I don't consider it cooking.

message 45: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I've never tried it, but know a lot of folks who use that method for chicken prep quite often. So, you just put the can up the...uh...large opening (open of course) and then let her rip, or what?

message 46: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments I just watched a pretty funny Christopher Walken cooking video where he made chicken with pears. He had a special wire stand to hold the chicken up. There was not a can of beer involved.

message 47: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Christopher Walken has a cooking video??? Weird.

message 48: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments I think it was supposed to be a spoof. It was terribly dry. Saw it on the Epicurious site. Funny cooking videos or some such. The one from the BBC was a scream.

message 49: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments BBC title: Posh Nosh.

message 50: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I heart Jamie Oliver and his lisp...

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.