Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > No Mercy by Sherrilyn Kenyon - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Just thought that I'd open up this discussion. No Mercy by Sherrilyn Kenyon was released yesterday. I'm currently waiting for my copy from audible.com, but hopefully I will start listening to it tomorrow.

Anyone else started it yet?

message 2: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Anyone else read this yet? I just finished it, and have a ton of thoughts/questions going through my mind! Warning, minor spoilers!

First off - this is something that has been mentioned in other books, but I never really paid attention until now. At the start, when Sam asked Dev if any daimons had been in the bar so far, he made a comment about that he isn't supposed to tell her that. I've read in other books that the were-hunters almost protect the daimons from dark-hunters, but I don't understand why they would do that! I understand that they are cousins, but at the same time daimons tend to target were-hunters to get their powers, so why in the world would WH make it harder for a DH to kill a daimon?

Next, who is the spy in Sanctuary that told Stricker's daughter all of that info?

How did Sam recognize the demon that the daimons left on the street as the Slug Demon's master when he was in human form on the street and in his true form when she saw him in the slug demon's vision?

Oh, I loved the comment about Nick's memories and his past changing on him. Obviously that's because of the actoins that are taking place in Infinity! Interesting!

Found a discrepancy. In another book Amy thinks about the fact that her powers, and the ability to find people is what got her brothers killed, but in this book it shows Amy as too young to even shift to human when her brothers are killed.

I'm glad that we finally found out what happend to Cael and Amaranda (from Dark Side of the Moon).

Oh, and I really didn't get the whole point of the mating! I mean, of course I am happy that Sam and Dev were mated, and honestly I knew that it would happen at some point in the book. But why did Sam's enemy (can't remember his name) specifically ask the fates to mate them? What was the point of that? Why would he care? If anything it seems like that would make his job harder because now all of the bears would be after him if he was to take Dev's mate! Just didn't make sense to me. It almost felt like kenyon just threw that in there for an explanation of why she let a DH and WH mate!

And lastly, (for the moment) I think that we will be seeing lots more of several of the Dog's!

message 3: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments Way to go Kelley Anne it takes me forever to get through an audio book.

At any rate I do not have it yet but I will in 3 more days then I will be happy to chat with you about it.

message 4: by Corazon (new)

Corazon (corazonsliterature) Kelley Anne wrote: "Anyone else read this yet? I just finished it, and have a ton of thoughts/questions going through my mind!"

I have the same thoughts and many others.
There are a lot of discrepancies in it and I think they shall be a page filler, because the author hasn't something to tell.
The only thing she does is throwing new characters in it. Instead she should write about the many many charas he has introduced during the last 10 books.

The book is a short story and not a full novel.
okay, it has over 300 pages, but the types are big size and there is a double space between the sentences. And marginally are on each side 3 cm place that are empty. The print is a indredibel cheek.

It was nice to see Cael and Amaranda again, but SK don't do them justice. Their story was shallow told.

About the spy... I have a suspicion.

message 5: by twinfish2 (new)

twinfish2 | 21 comments I quit reading Kenyon after the truly terrible ACHERON. But I saw the reviews of this one and thought, maybe Kenyon got her mojo back. I just finished NO MERCY. Yikes, she jumped the shark with this one. Riding birds,flying monkey armies? WTF. That is where I closed the book and will not be reading any more. Also she can't seem to keep straight who is arcadian and kattagaria. Near the front of the book when Dev shows Sam that he is a sentinel and arcadian he thinks to himself that he hid this from his family and his mother because she hates arcadians so much. He didn't just hide the tatoo he hid the fact that he wasn't kattagaria from them.

He also said that amiee turns to human when sleeping, which makes her arcadian also, and fang turns into a dog(wolf). Did she hide this fact also from her mother? She was in cub form when Gilbert and Bastien die, to young to change into a human. So she switched to arcadian also at puberty? She started out kattagaria.

Later he mentions that his mother wouldn't have been able to sit on the omegrion if it was found out that her mate was arcadian. What? also he mentions that two of his nieces are arcadian.

When Gilbert and Bastien die and Dev comes home his mother calls him a mongrel human. So she did know he was arcadian. Then why did he hide it from her? That would also make her mate,aimee,Bastien,the two nieces mongrels also. selective hate I guess.

Also When Gilbert and Bastien die it says Gilbert is kattagaria and the arcadians want to kill him before he mates with someone from their family. In the book it says they won't care if they kill Bastien because he will just be collateral damage. Bastien is arcadian. Bastien goes out first and dies and the hunters ask is he the right animal. when he died he would have turned into a human because he was arcadian. Right. Then Gilbert goes out and they kill him and he turns human after death. What? Wouldn't he have stayed a bear because he was kattagaria and the one they didn't want to mate with their family member. The hunters are then afraid and say killing him would mean execution for them.

How could their mother hate arcadians so much with so many of them in their family it makes no sense. She is mated to one.

And what was the worry over getting sam back into her body. They acted like it was dangerous to do this. But when she comes back not even a single sentence is spent on her jumping back into her body. What was the build up for? It was a big tadoo about nothing.

And another thing did I miss something but isn't it taboo for the dark hunters to congregate in the same place? Don't they drain each other powers? Why was their so many hunters around each other in this book.

I think if Kenyon can't keep her own world straight then how does she expect us to. I do not let writers off the hook about editing. These books are in Hard back. And we as consumers deserve books that are better edited than this. As an author she should be getting better as she writes not worse. Also the margins were huge,big font and double spaced lines. And they used thick paper for this book. It was 340 pages but should have been less than 240 at least. Do not buy this book. It is not worth it.

And as others have said there are just to many people in these books. It is just to bloated. Take a beano and let some gas out of these books. Maybe people will start to care about these char. if she would just focus on less per book.

Can you tell I hated this book. LOL

message 6: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments You didn't like Acheron? I'll admit that when I do re-reads of it, I don't read the first half. that part I read once, I know what happened to him, I don't care to read it again, so I always skip to the half that's present day, but I love that half!

So first, as for the arcadian and kattagari, yes, Amy switched at puberty. There are several characters in the series that had one parent that was arcadian and one kattagaria, that switched at puberty. Mama Peltier was VERY judgmental, so even if she knew that Dev was technically Arcadian, he would be LOTS better off not throwing that in her face all the time. But I think that the biggest reason most of them hide it is because she couldn't stand for others to know that her mate was Arcadian, and the only way that she would have kids that are arcadian is if her mate was. that's the main reason that they all hid it.

As for Gilbert, the book actually said that the hunters thought that Gilbert was Katiagaria and that why they wanted to kill him, but he was actually Arcadian. When they killed the first brother and he changed to human in death, they really freaked out because they had commited a crime if they killed another Arcadian. It's not considered a crime in their world for an arcadian to kill a kattagaria.

As for the dark hunters being with each other, that was mentioned as well. Sam made a comment about how the dogs of war tend to not worry about that rule as much as the others because they are deadly leathal even with lowered DH powers.

Personally, I really enjoyed the book. I listened to the audio so I have no idea about the page length/spacing/margins. It was 8 hours and 28 minutes. A bit on the shorter side compared to most of her DH books, but pretty close to the same length, except for Acheron which was almost 24 hours.

As for there being a lot of other people in the books, that's one of the things that I like about how she writes. I like that the characters that she has talked about before don't just completely disappear. They show up now and then. And she gets us to know some characters before their own book comes out. I do agree with Corazon that the part with Cael and Amaranda was too short. Didn't get enough info about them at all. Maybe it's just a set up for more info later...hopefully.

Yes, there were a few inconsistencies, but I can only think of one or two authors off of the top of my head that don't have a few! But I don't think that they were too bad of ones.

I liked the book, and am looking forward to the next one.

message 7: by twinfish2 (last edited Sep 20, 2010 12:37PM) (new)

twinfish2 | 21 comments I reread page 194 and 195 and it does not say that gilbert was arcadian it says he was kattagaria. Bastien was arcadian and killed first they didn't freak out until gilbert was killed and turned human but she said on page 194 that he was kattagaria. I re read this several times just to be sure I read it correctly and after your comment just to be sure. But thats ok, you liked I didn't and thats ok. I wish you well with her future books.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 253 comments The inconsistencies in the book didn't bother me. I feel like I'm so invested in these characters and it was great to *see* them again. I think that this book was almost a filler book. There are several series out that are in this space where changes are happening, so an awkward book or two ties up old news or foreshadows events to come. I liked the book and thought it was a good addition to the series. It wasn't my favorite, but I liked it.

message 9: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Kelley Anne wrote: "You didn't like Acheron? I'll admit that when I do re-reads of it, I don't read the first half. that part I read once, I know what happened to him, I don't care to read it again, so I always skip..."

I find it so funny that you skip the first half of Acheron during re-reads, I do the same thing!!!! I thought I was the only one.

Anyway, I finished No Mercy and I really liked it. I thought it was a good continuation of the story but with the added elements of new characters and a little look at some old characters.

message 10: by Sam (new)

Sam I loved No Mercy and actually read it twice in the same day. I read through it once just to get the story and then went back and read it to get the details. I found it fast paced and lots of action going on.

I love that SK keeps bringing characters back into the story.

I was happy to see Cael and Amaranda again as their story was just left hanging at the end of Dark Moon. .. and I agree I want more of their story.

I also thought it was pretty cool how she is going to explain the changes she makes in her Infinity series with the changing of Nick's memories.

I haven't reread the first part of Acheron too! But have read the modern day. LOL.

message 11: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments lol Sam. I've read the modern day part of Acheron multiple times.. :)

message 12: by Rebecca (Bec) (last edited Oct 09, 2010 04:56PM) (new)

Rebecca (Bec) | 56 comments I love SK DH series anbd I really liked No mercy. I actually agree with Sarah on 2 points. The first, I am so invested in this sereis as well that i hardly notice the inconsistencies and just assume there is a logical explanation for it or it will be revealed at a latter time. The Second, It was great to *see* everyone again. i felt like that with infinity, i really missed reading them! its like not seeing a freind or loved one for a year and then catching up finally!

I loved hearing the story of sabastian and Gilbert from Dev's point of view. i dont think we have ever heard it told before in such detail and it was good to finally get a good idea of what actually happened. especially considering it is the basis of why Sanctury was created.
To answer Twinfish2's question about why Dev cant tell Sam about daimons being in the bar is becasue it is a Sancuray and ALL (even daimons) are welcome - as long as the dont cause trouble :P By tellying Sam a daimo is there will make Dev Bias and he has to stay on nutural ground. Even though they arnt under the same protection of Sav they still keep up with thier ideals as it is why sactuary exisits in the first place. even the criminals need somewhere to chillax!

I also want more detail when it comes to Cael and Amaranda. I know she cant write anbout everyone but that would make for an interesting book! A DH and a daimon lover?? Awesome! How would Ash deal with that one! lol

Acheron's book is my fav.. to the point that i cant read it again coz i dont want to loose the effect it had on me the first time!

I cant comment on editing and poorly written stuff coz.. as you can tell my my comment here.. i dont have the best editing or writing skills myself lol.

my question is though.. whats next? who's next? I am hannnnnnggggginnnggg to find out!

message 13: by Texas Reader (new)

Texas Reader Stacy (texasreader-stacy) | 1 comments Twinfish I can see your point of view in a way. Sometimes I feel authors lose sight of the series when they branch out to far with other series. (To many irons in the fire) But I am still in love with the Dark/Were Hunters and I will forgive Kenyon just about anything. Though I do get snippy in my reviews when the editing is hideous. Authors should be proud of their books and as such, proof read them!

No mercy probably should have been a paperback, but since I have all her books on my bookshelf....I want them all in hard cover. Last but not least....I hope we see a Dark Hunter next, I do love the were hunters, but I miss the Dark Hunters and SIMI.

message 14: by Jess (last edited Oct 10, 2010 06:51AM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments The next book is titled: Redemption and it features Sundown (William Jessup Brady) and Abigail. It's scheduled for Aug 2011.

Then there's another League book coming out which I'm excited about :) Born of Shadows and it features Caillen

message 15: by Sam (new)

Sam The new Nick book: Invincible is due out in Feb 1st and if you read her Brothers of the Sword series Darkness Withinis due out in January. :-)

message 16: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Yeah I like her Brothers of the Sword series! I think I missed one though.. the bookstores don't carry as many copies of these books so I think I missed the 3rd..

message 17: by Rebecca (Bec) (new)

Rebecca (Bec) | 56 comments Oh fantastic!! lots of SK boosk next year..

I read them all and I have been waiting for Darkness within for AGESSS

message 18: by Sam (new)

Sam Sorry Darkness Within is part of the Lords of Avalon. :-) and is the 3rd book in that series.

Brotherhood of the Swords is here other series she writes as Kingley MacGregor.

message 19: by Rebecca (Bec) (new)

Rebecca (Bec) | 56 comments She is Kingley MacGregor with Lords of Avalon too and I have had that book on pre-order for over a year

message 20: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments I finally got this book back in my hands. I had it before and forgot then it was due.

Anyway I am about half way through and can I just say I really dislike Nick! Where is she going with him?? Really he is sleeping with Artemis? WTH?? I mean come on I know he and Ash have their issues but really her. That is such a smack in the face. I am really hoping he is not going to be as powerful as Ash!

I will share more and read the thread when I am done. Just venting :-)

message 21: by Rebecca (Bec) (new)

Rebecca (Bec) | 56 comments lol dawn... i miss sweet smart arse nick as well :(

message 22: by Jess (last edited Nov 28, 2010 05:58AM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Dawn wrote: "I finally got this book back in my hands. I had it before and forgot then it was due.

Anyway I am about half way through and can I just say I really dislike Nick! Where is she going with him?? Rea..."

Yeah, I never really liked Nick, but as the books have gone on I've come to despise him more and more. But Kenyon has also taken characters I've disliked and made them likeable, so you never know. He may end up having a really great book in the future.

message 23: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments Way to be positive Jess...I am starting to think the series should have ended with Ash.

message 24: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Well now it seems that she will be focusing on the dogs of war rather than the dark hunters. And it seems there is more about the were's. I don't think another book will be focused entirely around a dark hunter, but that they will appear in the background.

message 25: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) I would never reread the first part of Ash`s book either,and I was disapointed in the modern part too,I don`t think she wrote him a very interesting heroine

message 26: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments Kathy Anne wrote: "I would never reread the first part of Ash`s book either,and I was disapointed in the modern part too,I don`t think she wrote him a very interesting heroine"

Yeah she blows! I read the first half in like a day the second half too two weeks. She is not what I wanted for him.

message 27: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Well she was pretty bad-ass towards the end of the book when she had all those abilities.

message 28: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments LOL Jess that one I can give you!

message 29: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I think people were really upset because Acheron's character was so mammoth by that point. He had been so mysterious and it just kept getting more interesting as the books progressed, we were bound to be let down a little bit by the girl that ended up with him. He was just so awesome.