YA Paranormal and Fantasy Book lovers discussion

The Infernal Devices > Clockwork Angel *old thread - relocated*

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 07, 2010 10:28PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Clockwork Angel - Book 1 of the Infernal Devices - Prequel trilogy to Mortal Instruments.

Anyone read this yet? I just got the book today, so I hope to be starting it within the next few days.

message 2: by Truthic (new)

Truthic | 323 comments I finished it yesterday and now I can't wait to read Clockwork Prince. It's going to be a long wait though :/

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I started it last night, so hopefully I'll have more to add soon.

message 4: by Truthic (new)

Truthic | 323 comments Great :) Let's get a discussion started ^^

message 5: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 13, 2010 10:26PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I'm cutting and pasting what I already typed over in one of my other GR groups because it's a pain in the butt to have to type the same basic thing over and over.

Ok, so I finally finished the book.

*spoilers incoming* - but since this is a book discussion thread, I'm assuming this is a given anyway*

As for which series is better, it's obviously hard to say which will end up being better, but if we're just comparing the first book in this series to the first book in MI, I feel that Clockwork Angel is a much better first book in a series than City of Bones was...if you're only comparing first book to first book.

I'd say that City of Glass was my favorite of her books so far, but CA blew away CoB.

I just think that if you're looking at first book vs. first book, CA was more fleshed out and had more depth.

Okay...on to the book points.

1. What is Sophie? What did Thomas mean when he said, "Sophie is..."

2. What is Tessa? I want to say that she's half shadowhunter and half warlock, since it would seem to me that the good side would cancel out the bad, and that's why she's not marked. But...not sure how that's possible if she couldn't open doors that shadowhunters could.

3. Church the cat...I'm assuming that's Hodge's/the New York Institute's cat? How old was Hodge in MI? Was he around back in the Victorian era?

4. Nate - will he stay bad, or will Tess win him over? The usual line of thinking would be that Tess will eventually break through. I personally hope he stays bad. It'd be awesome if Tessa got ticked and did him in.

5. At the end when the Magister wanted Tessa to change, whose pocketwatch was it that he had? My guess is Tessa's mom and that the Magister loved her, even though the Magister isn't her dad. That's random and I could be way off. It's just a thought.

The Characters :

Will & Tessa - Love/hate thing here. They are too similar to Jace and Clary, which is a good thing and a bad thing. It's good because I adore Jace. It's bad because I want to get to know them for their own personalities. Sure, there are a few differences, but Will really is just a darker haired, more refined version of Jace. Most likely, the author intended the similarities to tie together the histories and characters of the past and present, but it was a bit too close for comfort in some instances.

I still like Will though. Jem is pretty great too. Jem is a vast improvement over Simon.

Jessamine - can't stand her. I'm sure she'll grow on me as she grows closer to Tess over the next few books, but don't like her just yet.

Charlotte & Henry - really no opinion yet

message 6: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 75 comments Stacia wrote: "I'm cutting and pasting what I already typed over in one of my other GR groups because it's a pain in the butt to have to type the same basic thing over and over.

Ok, so I finally finished the b..."

Totally agree with you i am in the middle of the book now and can not help but think of some of the other characters in the immortals books, will is so much like jace some time i wonder, and am with you on jessamine.

message 7: by Truthic (new)

Truthic | 323 comments 1. That's a good question. I have no idea though. If she is anything other than human, wouldn't the shadowhunters of the institute have noticed something?

2. That would be interesting, her being half shadowhunter/half warlock. I think the combination shadowhunter/demon is more likely though, since warlocks can't have kids. But as you said, the door thingy complicates things. Maybe there's a simple explanation that were not aware of.

3. If I remember correctly, Cassandra wrote somewhere that due to Mrs Dark's experiments, Church turned immortal. So, he has lived quite a while ^^

4. I think he will stay bad. I don't like him, so I don't mind.

5. Ooooh. Maybe, it's possible. Which makes me think about WHAT the Magister is? He can't be a human being. Personally, I believe he's a shapeshifter type of demon (remember that blue-haired guy in the beginning of CoB?). That would explain how he could suddenly vanish into thin air and why every being in the downworld is so afraid of him.

And what about the cliffhanger in the end? What was THAT about?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I forgot about the blue haired demon in CoB...didn't one of the shadowhunters say that the demons don't die, you just get to send them back for a while? Or am I thinking of Percy Jackson (lmao it's in both I think).

That seems like a real possibility, since CoB starts out at Pandemonium Club. Clare seems to be going into a lot of detail to connect the two series.

message 9: by Truthic (new)

Truthic | 323 comments When you think about it, doesn't that make it possible for the Magister to be Tessa's real father? That would make her half demon.

message 10: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 75 comments Just finished the book and still have no idea who tess's father would be.And what is up with Will it is driving me crazy i kept going just to see, so the next one better hurry up lol

message 11: by Truthic (new)

Truthic | 323 comments Will... Oh, Will.. There's something under that closed up surface of his. All we have to do is wait a year to find out what exactly.

message 12: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 75 comments Truthic wrote: "Will... Oh, Will.. There's something under that closed up surface of his. All we have to do is wait a year to find out what exactly."

a whole year i will go mad lol

message 13: by Truthic (new)

Truthic | 323 comments You're not the only one :D

message 14: by Isamlq (new)

Isamlq I just got a copy and after reading all these posts, I must/shall control myself and not read it (yet). At least until the rest come out... lol... let me see if I can stop myself.

message 15: by Candice (new)

Candice I liked C.A. Will seems bi-polar. He likes Tessa and then he doesn't. Hello whiplash Anyone!!! Tessa I believe will fall for Jem and Will will come back around then. Or Will really likes Tessa but knows Jem likes her too. So he's being hot and cold. Jem is dying and is his best friend. He maybe giving Jem is shot at tessa while he's tring to control his feelings. I think Will is getting Magnus to put a spell on him to keep him from falling any harder for Tessa.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Jem is so going to win people over as the series continues, I'm willing to bet. He's strong but selfless at the same time. Plus, he has a good nature about him, considering that he's suffering.

I wonder what book Magnus will come out of the closet in.

message 17: by Joyzi (new)

Joyzi (jOiT) | 40 comments I like Jem a lot but I guess this series would end up with Tessa and Will as a couple.

message 18: by Truthic (new)

Truthic | 323 comments I think so too. I'm not on any team at the moment though, I'll just relax and see how the story plays out.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) So I'm starting to forget what groups I've made what comments in, but after skimming this thread, I don't think we discussed it here yet.

Tessa was in CoG talking to Magnus in the Epilogue. What clues does that give in regard to what she is?

message 20: by Carly (new)

Carly (wildlavender) Alert!!!A few spoilers!!!

Like Candice typed Will is really bi-polar. His funny, such a jerk at times,and a down right lunatic at times, I love that. Lol. When I finshed to book I wanted more so badly! A great/terriable cliff hagger(I hate those but there always good). Jem a really good improvment from Simon, never liked him. Jem just seems more understanding and I like that. Will, Will what is his problem? Ita bugging me! What dark secret that no one knows about? Jessamine, I hated her at the beginning and through the rest of the book but there was sometimes when I liked her. Like when she toughed up and got out of her 'being the perfect bride' act. I sure hope through out the series she becomes more of a shadow-hunter. I like to read about tough women who can take care of themselves. Like who wants to read about wimpy womem who never stick up for themselves? Not me. Anyways back to the subject. Charlotte seemed very sweet and Henry...... Don't know what to think about him. I liked the part in the begninning when he came in with his arm on fire and not even noticing it. Nate? Seemed like a jerk from theh very beginning never liked him. If you don't act like a brother then why should she care? He seemed like a baby in a man's suit. Sophie I liked her she could talk back. Tessa....Loved her at someparts. I tend to call my favorite charatars stupied and that just means there doing something I don't like at that moment but liking it in the end anyways. I weird that way. I am rooting for Will. Well, I think I got most of it out great series anyways like hte prequel better so far.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Ok, was scanning the Q&A with Cassandra Clare group and she gave a FAQ link.

http://www.cassandraclare.com/cms/faq...

I stole this from that page :

17 b) I have heard Tessa appears in City of Glass. Where is the scene where I can find her?

She is in the epilogue of City of Glass. “‘Magnus stood in the shadow of a tree, talking to a girl in a white dress with a cloud of pale brown hair. She turned as Magnus looked toward them, and Clary locked eyes with her for a moment across the distance that separated them. There was something familar about her, though Clary couldn’t have said it what it was.’”

17c) Is Church the cat immortal or are all Institute cats named Church?

Church is immortal. Same cat in Clockwork Angel as in City of Bones.

message 22: by Truthic (new)

Truthic | 323 comments About Tessa in CoG and what it could mean that Clary found her familiar... There are seriously so many possibilities. What if Tessa actually found a way to have children (it IS a world full of magic after all, and it's still not determined exactly what she is), and had one with Will? Or someone else whose descendants Clary knows? That would probably explain why there was something familiar with Tessa.

Still, I don't think the answer would be that obvious. I'm sure it's something I won't figure out ;)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) My theories have changed after reading these two passages again from CA :

P. 278

Tessa : Am I a warlock?

Silent Brother : I cannot tell you. There is that about you that marks you as one of Lilith's Children. Yet there is no demon's sign on you.

P. 469

Jem :

Tessa, you know that although it seems you are a warlock, you have an ability that we have never seen before. You carry no warlock's mark.

So there is no mark of either demon or warlock, but we "think" that even being a half-breed of supernatural (like Will being half shadowhunter) makes the supernatural side dominant.

I think that I'm going to take back my guess and say she's something completely different than anything we've read about in the books.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) From Cassandra Clare herself in answer to a fan question :

I would not say basing what you think is going to happen in ID on what happens in MI is a good idea. Will is somewhat like Jace, due to their being blood related, but Jem is nothing like Simon and Tessa is nothing like Clary. While this first book was meant to look as if it was leading to a Tessa/Will relationship, Will pretty much burns that to the ground in the last chapter, and Jem is obviously interested in Tessa. In addition, the second book focuses more on Tessa's relationship with Jem (who she already thinks is beautiful and who gives her electric shocks when he kisses her hand — neither of which, alas for Simon, are feelings Clary ever had for him.) TMI wasn't really a love triangle. ID is.

message 25: by Artemis, Head Mod! (last edited Sep 23, 2010 04:58AM) (new)

Artemis | 4504 comments Mod
We now have a folder for Clockwork Angel XD!!!!

message 26: by Truthic (new)

Truthic | 323 comments Woho. Thank you! :)

message 27: by Truthic (new)

Truthic | 323 comments Oh, about Mortmain. I read that he as a matter of fact actually IS a human being and NOT something else. He was wearing a ring(?) that helped him disappear just before Will could do any damage to him.