Should have read classics discussion

Group Book Discussions > Mockingjay

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 124 comments I loved it!! I enjoyed this one as much i8f not more than the first two.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 124 comments Sorry can't type tonight.

message 3: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Lisa (lmmmml) | 1864 comments Mod
Ladies, I am DONE with it. Let the discussion time BEGIN!!! DING,DING,DING(bell sounds). LOL

message 4: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
Ok Amy, Why did you like this one as much or more than the first two?

message 5: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
A couple of questions up for discussion? Did this book end well? What do you think the author's intent for the trilogy was (what was her message)?

message 6: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

If you read my review you know that I was quite disappointed with this book. I was not happy with the ending. It was like a present that you wrap in the plastic bag from the store, it is technically wrapped, but it is not pretty.
I guess the message would be that war is hell? Even the strong fall apart? I guess.

message 7: by Kerri, the sane one (last edited Sep 16, 2010 08:11AM) (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
I agree to an extent about the end (refer to my review also); however, I do think that Katniss ended up with the right person. And it isn't that the end is bad, I just felt that there wasn't enough of a resolution/conclusion to feel satisfied with how it ended. I was so wrapped up in Katniss's thoughts during all the books that I wanted her to grow and mature in her thoughts and reveal to the reader what was really going on in her mind at the end. I was let down in that regard.
As far as the author's intent...I do sense a disgust with the idea of the power of the media and a person's 15 minutes of fame type idea. I also sense a wrestling with the role of government, whether in society's life or an individual's life. And of course the antiwar overtone is there. However, was war necessary in this case or in any case? I felt that the author had good ideas of what she wanted people to think about throughout the trilogy, but I think the power of that message was lost because of the weakly communicated end to Mockingjay.

message 8: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
New question to think about...which government regime was "better", District 13 or The Capitol?

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 124 comments Kerri wrote: "Ok Amy, Why did you like this one as much or more than the first two?"

I like the fact that Katniss was made more human, even someone who appears to have it all together has a softer more fragile side. Sometimes people get raised above the board so high nobody could hold that position forever. Even the strong need a time to go hide in a corner sometimes. I also like the fact that she ends up being married and a mother, I agree she ended up with the right husband when it was all said and done.

message 10: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
I like your take on that.

message 11: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

I'm torn on the District 13 and Capitol question. Both have some interesting qualities, good and bad. I'd say neither.:) What a cop out!!

message 12: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
The question wasn't if both governments were bad...of course both were. Which one would you rather live under? Answer the question girl.

message 13: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Fine, The Capitol. The Capitol was too entrenched to Panem. It was tyrannical and evil despots. Responsible for the Hunger Games and untold suffering for the good of the people of the Capitol. However, in each district, the culture of the area was allowed to survive, if only underground in some areas. The individual was not celebrated, but people could be individuals if the knew how to manipulate the system.
13 was isolated and learned how to survive. It's people were robots, force fed their lives by tattos on thier arms and schedules that allowed for no individuality. They were bent on revenge for all the Capitol had done. I don't think they would have had any empathy for the rest of Panem. Just more people to control. It's a small distinction and maybe wrong. But, the idea of being a robot, controlled by a tattoo is not too my liking.

message 14: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
Now there's an answer! Thank you. I agree. District 13 did provide for the "creature comforts" of its people. The people did have food, shelter and everyone was pretty much equal (so to speak). However, they didn't seem to have any individual freedom and really didn't appear to think for themselves. And although, the rest of the districts under The Capitol's rule had struggles to varying degrees but within each district there was still group pride and individual identity. There seemed to be room for individual thoughts and freedoms as long as they stayed within the confounds of The Capitol's demands. The people could really feel, sense emotions, struggles, and yet triumph in their own limited way . They could work hard and have a purpose and place within their own people group. But the district 13 people were not displayed that way. They seemed to have no control, even if it lead to mistakes and troubles. To me, district 13 had too much conformity and no individuality. I would go crazy in that environment...I think Katniss recognized that as well. So the author is really playing on that idea...if the government provides everything for its people: shelter, food, protection...is that really worth the loss of individual freedom? And although under Capitol rule there is still control, regulation, and hardships there is still a sense of individuality. Obviously either situation is perfect...Katniss definitely recognized that and thus put an end to both options in hopes of something new and better. But if I had to choose...ironically, I would also choose The Capitol. Weird!

message 15: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
Another Mockingjay question to ponder...how did your thoughts about how the trilogy would end change from book to book? Did it end like you thought or were you way off from what you expected or hoped would happen?

message 16: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
One more question to play around with...which character did you personally most identify with in the Hunger Games trilogy?

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy | 124 comments Kerri wrote: "One more question to play around with...which character did you personally most identify with in the Hunger Games trilogy?"

I think I was Mom. I have gone through my depression, and am happiest helping others. I don't want to be on the front lines but I want to contribute.

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy | 124 comments I have to agree with Lisa and Kerri, I would prefer The Capitol. At least you had some chance of small happiness, you could choose some things on your own. I don't think I could handle the tattoo for a schedule everyday.

message 19: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

It is strange to think that at the conclusion of the books, that we would rather live under the Capitol, than under 13. Not what I thought when I started the series.

message 20: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

*spoiler alert*
The ending seemed rather rushed to me. I was also routing for Gale. I liked him, but I was not surprised with her ending up with Peeta. He seemed the logical choice in the end.
I wanted more info about the resulting government once Coin was gone. The only mention of it was that the Hunger Games was abolished. (Sidenote), did that bother anyone when Katniss voted to continue the games? That was a HUGE anger moment for me. I think I even yelled "What?" out loud!
The character that I identified with.....Prim and to a lesser extent, Peeta.

message 21: by Kerri, the sane one (last edited Jan 14, 2011 09:01AM) (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
Kerri wrote: "One more question to play around with...which character did you personally most identify with in the Hunger Games trilogy?"

Ok, I thought long and hard about this and I keep coming back to my first gut instinct...I most identified with Katniss. I think our personalities are similar, even though I don't like hunting or killing things (a bit like Prim there); however, I would consider myself independent, self-relient (to a fault at times), and determined. Also, like Katniss I am driven to do what I perceive is the right thing; I want justice. In addition, like Katniss, I am not so good with people but if I am needed to be a leader and no one is going to do it then I take over. Of course, I do need to work on my bow hunting skills to even come close to actually competing alongside Katniss...because heaven forbid if I actually had to come up against her.
I at times also identified with Cinna in a weird way; he likes a challenge and will do whatever it takes to go up and beyond what is required... especially if there is any sort of competition involved and a chance to make a statement.
Have I revealed too much of my personality that you can see all my faults...oh, well!

message 22: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Haha, that is who I thought for you also!!!

message 23: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
Kerri wrote: "Another Mockingjay question to ponder...how did your thoughts about how the trilogy would end change from book to book? Did it end like you thought or were you way off from what you expected or ho..."
I am not quite sure what I thought would happen after Hunger Games but I was definitely rooting for Gale at the time. During Catching Fire I kept thinking that Katniss would end up with Gale and go back to a "normal life" after she helped overthrow the government, but I kept feeling as if Collins was giving us some foreshadowing of great things happening for Peeta because he was such a gifted speaker and so good with many different types of people. In Mockingjay, I kind of figured that Peeta would be with Katniss in the end but I hoped for a bit more for them...I thought Peeta would still have an instrumental role in the government somehow. I really hoped they would be a bit like Nelson Mandela, where they brought peace and hope to the people, and for a time they were instrumental in the new government and then with time they would step aside as others took new leadership roles. Boy was I wrong...

message 24: by Kaila (new)

Kaila (monkeytamer) Just finished this today. I thought this final book really made the whole trilogy make so much more sense. I loved the ending. I thought it, like Katniss's entire life, was beautifully flawed. Katniss finally facing the reality of losing her sister who she always wanted to protect, the writing of the book to preserve the wonderful eccentricities of the people who had died, eventually understanding that she loves Peeta and starting a family together. The ending to the trilogy was so unexpected for me. I didn't see the depth she was building into the series until the culmination which made it even better.

I thought Collins developed an amazingly complex and interesting character in Katniss. The loss of her father at such a young age and basically cutting off her ability to love or even identify when people loved her. With the amazing struggles she encountered in her life, starving and trying to provide for her family. Preparing to enter the Hunger Games and getting fattened up like a turkey for Thanksgiving. Fighting for her life and killing without understanding why. Katniss was emotionally fragile yet physically and outwardly strong. I thought it was a realistic look at what killing and fighting to stay alive repeatedly can eventually do to a person's spirit and general outlook on life. All of them were forever changed; Peeta, Gale and Katniss. I think that is the only thing that could happen in the end. You aren't going to have "normal" people after such an experience.

message 25: by Kerri, the sane one (last edited Jan 14, 2011 09:07AM) (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
I am so glad you liked Mockingjay, Kaila. I loved your analogy to Katniss being "fattened up like a turkey" in preparation for the Games. I agree with you that the ending was realistic and that anybody that had experienced what these characters had would be forever changed. It was an interesting thought you had that the ending was "beautifully flawed."

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) "Mockingjay" was my least favourite of the trilogy. It was too political for my taste.