Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Archived Threads > Is an e-reader necessary?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3396 comments Mod
Hi everybody! I'm not sure if there's already a thread similar to this one or not. If so, I'm sorry. I was just wondering if e-reader is necessary in order to keep with all the IR novels out there; and just newer authors in general. I was reading about an author whose trilogy was released in electonic format, and then it took about a year for her to get her work released in paperback. Frankly, for a book addict such as myself, that's just too long to wait!

I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on this thanks.

message 2: by A.M. (new)

A.M. | 349 comments No. If you select download as a PDF file then you should be able to view/read ebook via computer. The adobe acobat reader is free. Most ePub have this option.

A.M. ska Brenda

message 3: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Thanks Brenda. Just one more question, if I were on amazon, and tried to buy a kindle book (?), do you know if I'd be given the option to download it as a pdf file? I know absolutely nothing when it comes to kindles or ebooks. :(

message 4: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

I just downloaded the free kindle app for my pc! I've bought a few books that I've been wanting to read for a while now. I guess I better work some overtime in order to support my book addiction.

message 5: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Like A.M. said,

No you can always read it off the computer if you want. I hated reading off the computer. I wear glasses, plus it's not comfortable to me to read sitting at the computer so that's why I got an e-reader.

But a lot of folks read from their computer and of course their phones, laptops, everything.

Best Wishes!

http://www.stacy-deanne.net

message 6: by new_user (new)

new_user Hey, Michelle. I'm finding more and more books or more freebies are available in ebook format, and while I read them on the computer, it gets uncomfortable quickly, so I'm thinking an ereader will be in order for me really soon.

message 7: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Thanks Stacy and NU,

I bought of few kindle books today, and I have to say that I don't enjoy reading books on my computer. I'll probably treat myself to an e-reader soon. I just can't get over how many books there are that appear to only be available in electronic format.

message 8: by A.M. (new)

A.M. | 349 comments Michelle, I see you figured it out the answer. Happy reading.

A.M/Brenda

message 9: by JC (new)

JC (ainathiel) I don't think it is necessary. I do believe it is fun to have. I have done some reading on my bb and I like it. Especially when I was in a very boring place.

At the moment, I am in the market for an e-reader, I want one under $200. and I would like it to be compatible with as many books as possible.
I am a graphic novel reader as well so it would be nice if I can have that type of feature in my reader.

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
I'd have to agree with NU, that it's a lot more comfortable to read ebooks on a reader. I get really sick of trying to read on my computer, but the ereader I have is a lot more user-friendly. If you want to do a lot of ebooks, invest in an e-reader. It pays for itself. And there are tons of free ebooks. I know I will never let go of my paper books completely, but ebooks are a good supplement.

message 11: by Tina (new)

Tina | 8 comments There are also eye strain issues with reading for long periods of time on the type of LCD display on a computer. Most e-readers (except the iPad) all have e-ink display that mimic paper reading.

These are the ereaders I know about because I or someone in my household has one:

Kindle (AMAZON)-
wi-fi version is cheap (139 -- vs. 3G version @189.), very light, has all of amazon's kindle library available for download, lots of freebies, amazon's customer service is AMAZING! Contrary to popular opinion you are not bound to only Amazon to purchase content. You can purchase anywhere that offers non-DRM'd books. the Kindle can read .mobi, .prc or .txt formata natively. Anything else needs to be coverted. I use Calibre (a free conversion tool) to convert to .mobi format when necessary. calibre also doubles as a great book library tool to keep track of all your books. You can't lend books to friends but you can have up to six separate devices attached to one kindle account. Biggest con of the kindle is that you can't use it to read library digital content. It uses Adobe digital editions whic is DRM'd up the wazoo and doesn't play well with kindle.

nook (B&N)
little more expensive than kindle. $149 for wi-fi vs 199 for 3g? Has a color touch screen. Page refresh rate isn't as good as the kindle and the B&N customer service is ABYSMAL. You can lend a book once to another nook user (if the publisher allows). You can read anything in he B&N store for free if you are physically in the store with the nook. nook uses the pdb format, but will also support pdf, txt. Like the kindle, you can use calibre to convert non drm'd files to pdb. You can use nook to borrow digital content from your library.

iPad (Apple)
Sucks hot monkey balls as an e-reader. The Ibook store had NO content worth talking about. It is heavy, has an LCD screen, there is glare in any sunlight situation even in a sunny room (and you can see all your fingerprints I have to carry a microfiber cloth everywhere I go). The best thing I can say about the ipad as an e-reader is that if you want to read graphic novels, with lots of color or have the Marvel or DC app to download comic books, it is GORGEOUS. otherwise, don't waste your money on this as a dedicated e-reader.

I have a Kindle and an ipad. My hubs has the nook. I rec either the Kindle or the nook -- 3G version cuz you never know when you are going be on the train and NEED to download that sequel ASAP -- with a slight edge going to the kindle.

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

My sister likes her iPAD, but she uses it for other things too. She doesn't like the Ibook store either. She reads a lot of Kindle books on her iPAD.

I have a Kindle DX, and I love it. I haven't had any problems (knock on wood). The Nook seems like a waste of money to me (JMO).

message 13: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Thanks for the info Tina! You've really given me something to consider. I was torn between the nook and the kindle, but I think the kindle is a better deal for me. I was so excited to download the free kindle app on my pc, but I've already gotten tired reading on the computer :(

@ Danielle:

Kindle DX? Is that the more recent version of the kindle?

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

The Kindle DX is the larger sized Kindle. It was the first model to have a native PDF reader, but they've now updated the other Kindle models to include it. It holds 3500.

Here is an info chart comparing the models.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Readin...

message 15: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) I have a Sony Reader. Shout out for Sony. Yaaa! LOL!

Best Wishes!

http://www.stacy-deanne.net

message 16: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Thanks Danielle!

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

YW, Michelle. :)

message 18: by Tina (new)

Tina | 8 comments Stacey-
How are the Sony readers? I lurve my kindle, but I am such a gadget ho that I am always looking to acquire. LOL.

Danielle-
I LOVE my iPad. But not as a dedicated e-reader. When you are a hardcore reader who goes through books at volume, you quickly discover what works and what doesn't. I have the kindle app on the iPad and even then I can't bear to read on it for any length of time.

message 19: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Johnson (VanessaAJohnson) | 58 comments I have a Sony ereader too and love it...

message 20: by Violette (new)

Violette Dubrinsky | 32 comments I'm getting a Kindle in a few days. I will be back to answer this question. lol.

message 21: by Nichelle (new)

Nichelle (ebondreamz) Loving my NOOK Color. And...I love kindle, kobo and NOOK on my iPhone

message 22: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Johnson (VanessaAJohnson) | 58 comments Boohoo....I can't download the books I've purchased recently from amazon.com to my reader. I'm on Sony's site now trying to fix the problem. Has anyone else experienced this with the Sony Reader?

message 23: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Vanessa, if you have Amazon ebooks, they are in a specific format. I think you have to convert them using Caliber software. I bet Tina can answer your question.

message 24: by Tina (new)

Tina | 8 comments Vanessa, lol, Danielle is correct I can help you a bit but it may not completely fix your problem.

If you have a SONY reader, you can't automatically read books purchased from Amazon on it. The Sony e-reader uses the EPUB format. All of Amazon's books are in in the AZW format.

So you have two options:
1)You can download a free, totally AWESOME ebook library program called Calibre. It can convert ebooks from one format to another, allowing you to load the books into your e-reader of course via USB or dragging/dropping into a directory of your choice.

CAVEAT: Calibre can't convert books that have DRM coding on them. So if the books you bought through Amazon are DRM'd then you won't be able to convert them via Calibre. Not every book bought through Amazon has DRM. The only way to know is to try the conversion

2) Your other option is to download the Kindle app onto your computer or smartphone if you have one and read the books that way.

hope that helps a bit.

message 25: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Johnson (VanessaAJohnson) | 58 comments Thanks Danielle. I'll try the Calibre program. I have the Kindle app on my computer and smartphone. Thanks again.

message 26: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Thank Tina, the tech guru!

message 27: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Johnson (VanessaAJohnson) | 58 comments I'm sorry. Thanks Tina. I apologize for the mix up. Have a blessed day.