Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Serieses! > Hainish Cycle Not a Series?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dori (new)

Dori (adorible) | 198 comments Maybe it's something that should be noted in the description of the series...

message 2: by willaful (new)

willaful I've been doing those like this: http://www.goodreads.com/series/49849...

Its noted in the description and I didn't number them, because the read order isn't particularly important.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments In that case, should this be treated as an unordered series? Why put in numbers if they serve no purpose?

message 4: by willaful (new)

willaful Seems very reasonable to take out the numbers. How about putting a link to the author's comments in the description?

message 5: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) | 140 comments I'd write the two chronologies down in the description (both with a link to where the chronology comes from), and make it an unnumbererd list.
I haven't read all of them, but I'm reading them out of any order what so ever, and it doesn't really matter. It is definitely a cycle in that they should be linked together through the series function, but I wouldn't number them at all. (As long as the description is explaining some of this)

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) | 362 comments I'm a reader who doesn't like series because I don't want to be tied down / obligated. I say, "Good Catch," to BunWat on these, and to all librarians, please do avoid letting there be numbers on stand-alone books.

Thank you all very much.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

While we're on the subject, I submit that Heinlein's Future History should be identified/described in a similar way, since there's some sequence but there's no real need to read them in order.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42507 comments Mod
willaful wrote: "Seems very reasonable to take out the numbers. How about putting a link to the author's comments in the description?"

I agree with both these suggestions.

message 9: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments Shoshanapnw wrote: "While we're on the subject, I submit that Heinlein's Future History should be identified/described in a similar way, since there's some sequence but there's no real need to read them in order."

Very true and I agree, but I read them in order once and it did add to the experience.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42507 comments Mod
BunWat wrote: "I'm not sure about putting in a link because the quote is from one section of a fairly lengthy FAQ."

In that case, I'd quote and then link.