Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Fantasy/Sci-Fi > Feed by M.T. Anderson

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Sep 04, 2010 03:17PM) (new)

Ashley (affie) | 468 comments Had anyone else read Feed? I finished reading it, and I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the story. I think that I really liked it, but I might be wrong... I'll let you know if I decide I don't...

There were parts to this story that I didn't love or really connect with, but at the same time that intense focus on consumerism, popular culture and an intensely addictive connection to the feed scared me. It reminds me so much of our consumer/electronic society now. I've always been a little worried about the fate of our society, considering how dependent we are on things and technology and how much time people tend to spend online. I can definitely see how/why this feed could be marketed as a positive thing. Wouldn't it be great to just think about something and automatically have access to any fact you might want?!
The thought of it is scary, and I think if I spend too much time thinking about it right now, it might drive me a little crazy, and I'll worry that 'they' are coming to get me through my laptop...

Ha- I just looked below this post, and noticed that it asks if I'd like to add this to my update feed... (Slightly hysterical laughter, followed by nervous glances around.)

***Possible spoiler?...******

-Oh, and I am the only one who expected a little more to come as a direct result of the hacker?! And who kind of expected some government conspiracy in regards to what was happening with Violet? Maybe I read too many books with a conspiracy at the root, but a lot of dystopian books seem to thrive on that. Oh well.

message 2: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) I really thought this book was going to be more Dystopian than it was. It ended up just almost being a contemporary sci-fi story with a brain feed.

So, yes, I did think more was going to happen then did. I ended up giving the book 3 stars, because I liked it, but I just didn't love it.

message 3: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mldavisreads) | 210 comments Ashley, I completely agree that this book hit a nerve with me because I could completely see it happening. I mean already people look up things on their phones while talking to someone in person, tag songs in their cars to purchase later, how far off is a society where a corporate driven feed throws advertisements at our every thought?

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather Bree (blackdotbug) I thought it was spot on, too, that one of the consequences of having this feed is that people stop writing. The whole written language suffers. And people stop integrative learning. Don't know a word? The feed looks it up. You don't have to remember it. You don't have to remember anything. The feed will answer all your questions. *shudder*