Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Archives > Nooks Future?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caroline (new)

Caroline There's no need to be concerned. B&N isn't closing down any stores, and is still doing strong. If for some reason they do actually sell, chances are it'll just be people who already have a heavy hand in the company becoming majority shareholders. The media blew a "possibility of selling" extremely out of proportion.

Either way, the Nook is safe.

message 2: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments If they do close some of the stores they will not close all of them. Sometimes when things change hands or when the economy is in a rut this can happen, like at one of the places I work (Foot Locker). However this does not mean that it is going out of business at all. It just means they are downsizing some which makes sense since there are tons of people going to the eReaders.

message 3: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Aug 31, 2010 02:28PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I haven't walked into a B&N for close to a year (*edit* I forgot that I did in January to test drive a Nook). Even if I'm not purchasing books for my Nook, I will buy my selections online from either B&N, Amazon, or Wal-Mart, depending on who's offering the best deal with shipping currently.

Bookstores are probably on the way out in general, even without the boom in e-readers. I'm not talking total extinction just yet (because there are enough older people that don't like technology), I'm talking downsizing/finding less stores in the near future. Especially if stores like Target and Wal-Mart expand their offerings.

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 2 comments I'm not too worried yet, since other book sellers are carrying books in the epub format. That was the whole reason why I chose the nook over the kindle.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I wish I knew exactly the formats that my Nook will accept. I know it will take epub and pdf, but what else? Does anyone else know?
Thanks!

message 6: by Cory (new)

Cory Brandley | 4 comments Regardless of what happens to the brick and mortar side of Barnes and Noble(they are not going to just close 800+ stores tomorrow) the web side (www.bn.com is not going anywhere and that is where the ebooks come from anyway. I love the way the media takes something that is pretty commonplace and not a really big deal and turns it into a frenzy.

message 7: by Cory (new)

Cory Brandley | 4 comments @Letresa, check out http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/fe... and it will show you the formats, they are EPUB, PDB, and PDF. You can also use a program called calibre http://calibre-ebook.com/about that will convert many different types of ebooks into the epub format (obviously not the kindle books)

message 8: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo I like the idea of going to B&N every few weeks and doing the in store stuff. If they close the one I go to which is a mega store I would be very upset. It's 45 minutes away from me but when I go it's usually after I go to stitch and chat for needlepoint which is in the next town from B&N. It's it works out. The other B&N that is kind of close it down a lousy highway and a pain to get too and it's alot smaller then the mega store. Also the store yesterday was crowded. I find at times alot more people are sitting in the cafe looking though books or on their laptops. Or reading books there. But still both times I went towards the front (cashier) the line was long. And they had 3 or 4 cashiers working. It's on a major highway that comes down from NY State so they get alot of people from that direction plus NJ.

message 9: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Ah, found some articles about the store closure in specific being spoken of. Looks like it's a special situation, where the location is just ridiculously expensive to pay the rent for. I can't see that being a common issue throughout the nation--NYC is really a special case all around.

I'm sure in future years we'll be seeing a decline in brick and mortar bookstores on the whole, but it will probably be a while and a very gradual process. It'd be a shame to let the Walmarts and Amazon of the world take over, because really nothing is a substitute for a bookstore. There are reasons I'm adamantly against shopping at such places for my books and only patronize bookstores for book buying--gotta support the things you want to stay in business.

message 10: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Latresa wrote: "I wish I knew exactly the formats that my Nook will accept. I know it will take epub and pdf, but what else? Does anyone else know?
Thanks!"

Go to this page, and on the right side about 3/4 of the way down you will see what formats are accepted...
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/fe...

message 11: by Raggedyann (new)

Raggedyann | 62 comments Can someone tell me the background screen color of the Nook? Is it white like it looks in their pictures. Thanks

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I'd almost sort of describe it as newspaper page white. It's not very sharp/blinding like true white.

message 13: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments Raggedyann wrote: "Can someone tell me the background screen color of the Nook? Is it white like it looks in their pictures. Thanks"

The color is not bright white it is almost like if you are reading off of a book. Not copy paper white, but has a slight gray tint to it. There is no color whatsoever on the screen.

message 14: by Raggedyann (new)

Raggedyann | 62 comments Thank you!