Red Dress Ink Fans discussion

Challenges > 4th Quarter 2010 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 475 (475 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by Stacy (last edited Sep 28, 2011 09:56AM) (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) | 5567 comments Mod
Ok, so I decided then to keep going with the original challenge format.
This one might be a little more difficult to find books for, or you may just change your mind a lot before posting. I have some very specific tasks, and others are pretty wide open.
I tried to stick with a "grammar" theme for the most part with some other fun stuff thrown in.
(I pulled some of these tasks from other challenge groups, can't remember which ones came from where, but I just wanted to make sure the credit wasn't soley given to me.)
Good luck!

message 2: by Stacy (last edited Oct 01, 2010 07:21AM) (new)

Rules:
1. The challenge runs from October 1 – December 31, 2010
2. Anyone may join in at any time, and count any books read between October 1 and December 31. All participants must post their book list in this thread.
3. Books do not have to be specifically from Red Dress Ink.
4. You may only complete each task ONCE. Likewise, books may only count for ONE task.
5. To post points: Post the point value and number of the task you completed, as well as the book you read for the task.
6. For multiple-book tasks: Books do not need to be read back-to-back, or in any specific order, but you must have read ALL the books for a task in order to be awarded points for it (no "half points").
7. Audiobooks and e-books are acceptable to use for challenges, as long as they are the complete and unabridged versions.
8. Books started before October 1 may count for any task in the challenge, as long as you are no more than halfway through the book as of October 1.
9. You may change the books on your list at any time. Changing books for tasks already completed is NOT permitted.
10. Re-reads of books are okay, unless the task specifically says otherwise.
11. The first person to complete every task in the challenge is the winner. If no one completes every task in the challenge, then the people with the top 3 scores will be declared the winners.
12. Prizes for the top 3 finishers:
First Place – A $10 Amazon.com gift certificate
Second Place – Two credits from either BookMooch or Paperbackswap (your choice)
Third Place – A book

message 3: by Stacy (last edited Aug 30, 2010 12:05PM) (new)

5 pts.

1. Fall for Books! - read a book with a cover that is mostly orange, red, yellow, gold, or brown. (Examples: Burning the Map by Laura Caldwell, Overexposed by Susan Shapiro, Unbecoming Behavior by Stephanie Rowe, Outside In by Courtney Thorne-Smith, Spent: Memoirs of a Shopping Addict by Avis Cardella, Secrets of My Hollywood Life by Jen Calonita)

2. Land of the Free – the Statue of liberty was dedicated in October - read a book set in New York. (Examples: Manhattan Dreaming by Anita Heiss, Shopaholic Takes Manhattan by Sophie Kinsella, The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisenberger, Sex and the City by Candace Bushnell, Posh by Lucy Jackson)

3. Celebrate Good Times - read a book with the word drink in the title or a type of drink in the title or on the cover. (Examples: Celebutantes (champagne bottle on cover) by Amanda Goldberg, In the Drink by Kate Christensen, Milkrun by Sarah Mlynowski, Misery Loves Cabernet by Kim Gruenenfelder)

4. Get Cozy - read an entire book in bed.

5. Back in Black – read a book with an all or almost all black cover. (Examples: Starlit by Lisa Rinna, No Strings Attached by Karyn Grice, Chloe Does Yale by Natalie Krinsky, Bought by Anna David)

6. What’s Your Name? – Go to http://www.behindthename.com/random/ and select “First name only,” put in whatever other info you want (male/female, category) and click “Generate a Name!” Read a book whose main character or author has that name.

7. The Definition is… - Noah Webster was born on October 16, 1758 – Go to http://watchout4snakes.com/Creativity... and then read a book whose title contains the 10th, 11th, or 12th word you come to.

8. It’s So…. - read a book with an adjective in the title. (Examples: The Ten Best Days of My Life by Adena Halpern, Perfect Blend by Sue Margolis, The Glamorous, (Double) Life of Isabelle Bookbinder by Holly McQueen, Journal of Mortifying Moments by Robyn Harding)

9. How Many? - read a book with a pluralized word in the title. (Examples: School for Husbands by Wendy Holden, Thanks for the Memories by Cecelia Ahern, Notes From the Backseat by Jody Gehrman, Flyover States by Grace Grant, Spitting Feathers by Kelly Harte)

10. Aannnndd ACTION! - read a book with verb or a variation of a verb in the title. (Examples: Chasing Harry Winston by Lauren Weisenberger, Fear of Driving by Daniella Brodsky, Swimming Upstream Slowly by Melissa Clark, Busy Woman Seeks Wife by Annie Sanders, Late Night Talking by Leslie Schnur)

10 pts.

1. Er… - OctobER, NovembER, DecembER - this is the only challenge where all of the months end in ER - read a book that has a word ending in "-ER" in its title. (Examples: Best Friends ForevER by Jennifer Weiner, The BoostER by Jennifer Solow, I NevER Fancied Him Anyway by Claudia Carroll, Love Under CovER by Jessica Brody)

2. EEEEKKKK!!! – read a paranormal chick lit book. Examples: Sex and the Single Ghost by Tawny Taylor, A Date With the Other Side by Erin McCarthy, Undead & Unwed by Mary Janice Davidson, Charmed & Dangerous by Candace Havens, Girls’ Gude to Witchcraft by Mindy Klasky, Enchanted, Inc. by Katie Chandler)

3. Happy Birthday! - read a book by an author born in Oct, Nov, or Dec. (Examples: October – Lynn Michaels, Nora Roberts, Chris Manby, Fiona Gibson, Debbie Macomber, Laura Caldwell, Wendy Markham; November – Lisa Cach, Charlaine Harris, Louisa May Alcott; December - Vanessa Rose Lee, Candace Bushnell, Kelly Harte)

4. Lend a Hand - read a book with a title containing the name of a body part (i.e. Hand, Nail, Finger, Toe, Etc). (Examples: All Eyes on Her by Poonam Sharma, Easy on the Eyes by Jane Porter, Eye to Eye by Grace Carol, A Little Change of Face by Lauren Baratz-Logsted)

5. It’s a Zoo - read a book with the name of an animal in the title. (Examples: The Dog Walker by Leslie Schnur, Monkey Business by Sarah Mlynowski, The Birds and the Bees by Milly Johnson, Dog House: A Love Story by Carol Prisant, Tales From a Hen Weekend by Olivia Ryan)

6. Get a Job! - read a book with a word in the title that has something to do with work, i.e. work, job, hire, fire, meeting, etc. (Examples: Fire Me by Libby Malin, Hardly Working by Betsy Burke, Heiress for Hire by Erin McCarthy, Help Wanted, Desparately by Ariel Horn)

7. Sisterly Love - Read a book about sisters. (Examples: Names My Sisters Call Me by Megan Crane, The Smart One & the Pretty One by Clare LeZebnik, Versace Sisters by Kate Kendall, My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Piccoult)

8. Put on Your Dancing Shoes – read a book with the word Dance (or a variation of) or a type of dance in the title. (Examples: Dancing in my Nuddy Pants by Louise Rennison, Adventures of a Salsa Goddess by JoAnn Hornak, Spanish Disco by Erica Orloff)

9. Through Thick & Thin – read a book with the word fat or skinny (or a synonym of either, try not to use “big” or “little” unless you absolutely have to) in the title. (Examples: Size 12 is not Fat & Size 14 is not Fat Either both by Meg Cabot, Fat Chance by Deborah Blumenthal, Thin is the New Happy by Valerie Frankel, Slim Chance by Jackie Rose)

10. Agree or Disagree? – look at your friends’ “read” lists and choose a book that they gave two stars or less. Do you agree with their rating? Post your thoughts. (If you can’t find one you want to try, choose a book that has a rating of 2.5 or less on GoodReads.

message 4: by Stacy (last edited Aug 31, 2010 10:11AM) (new)

15 pts.

1. Name’s the Same – Read TWO books written by an author who uses a pseudonym: one book written under the author’s real name, and one written under the pseudonym. Examples: You could read Sophie Kinsella/Madeleine Wickham, Meg Cabot/Jenny Carroll; Wendy Markham/Wendy Corsi Staub; Beth Kendrick/Beth Killian; Stephen King/Richard Bachman; Nora Roberts/JD Robb

2. Prepositions - read 2 books whose titles contain the same preposition in their titles. The following website contains a list of 70 common prepositions: http://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary...

3. Homophones - read 2 books whose titles contain words that are homophones - The following website has a list: http://www.all-about-spelling.com/lis...

4. Pronouns – Read 2 books whose titles each contain the same pronoun – The following website has a list of common pronouns: http://www.esldesk.com/vocabulary/pro...

5. Quantifiers – read 2 books whose titles each contain a quantifying word such as: some, much, many, few, little, a lot, half, three, etc. (Examples: Million Little Mistakes by Heather McElhatton, Some Nerve by Jane Heller, Love is a Many Trousered Thing by Louise Rennison, The History of Lucy’s Love Life in Ten and a Half Chapters by Deborah Wright, The Two Lives of Miss Charlotte Merryweather by Alexandra Potter)

25pts.

1. Word Relay: Make a chain by using a word that is in the preceding book’s title. Any word in the book’s title is acceptable except for the articles a, an and the, and any two-letter preposition (of, an, in, on, at, etc). (Example of a chain: First Comes Love by Whitney Lyles, True Love by Whitney Gaskell, True Hollywood Lies by Josie Brown)

2. Author Relay: Make a chaine using the last letter of either the first or last name of the previous author to choose the next book. (Example: Jane Green, Audrey Niffenegger, Cathy Yardley)

3. Title Relay: Make a chain with the number of words in the title. You can go either up or down. (Example: The Love Goddess’s Cooking School by Melissa Senate {5 words}, Kissing Frogs in Cyberspace by Dianne Sweeney {4 words}, Heaven Can Wait by Cally Taylor {3 words})

4. Copyright Year Relay - Make a chain with the copyright year of books. You can go either up or down. Please use original copyright year only. (Example: When You Least Expect It by Whitney Gaskell {2010}, Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella {2009}, Love the One You’re With by Emily Giffin {2008})

message 5: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) | 754 comments When does this start?

message 6: by Stacy (new)

Jencey wrote: "When does this start?"

October 1st :)

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley This challenge should be interesting... You're right, some look easy, but as they go on, they are a little more challenging... Looking forward to this in October!

Thank you, Stacy, for all your hard work!

message 8: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 767 comments Sounds fun! I want to participate, but I don't know if I will be able to. I am just too busy with school. Believe me, I'd much rather read!

message 9: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 422 comments Great! I can't believe it's time for another quarter of the year already! I second the thanks, Stacy - you put in so much effort coming up with tasks and its a really fun way to get books crossed off the TBR list:)

message 10: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Suzanne wrote: "Sounds fun! I want to participate, but I don't know if I will be able to. I am just too busy with school. Believe me, I'd much rather read!"

Even if you only read a couple books, it's still participating :)

message 11: by Stacy (new)

Thanks ladies, but really, I pull quite a few of the tasks from other groups that have challenges.

message 12: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 1215 comments Already!? How exciting! Thanks Stacy as always!

Kristin (Kritters Ramblings) | 553 comments question - for the 25 point tasks, do we read 3 or 4 books for each task?

Kristin (Kritters Ramblings) | 553 comments sorry - forgot to mention, yes i am excited!

message 15: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) | 819 comments Kristin wrote: "question - for the 25 point tasks, do we read 3 or 4 books for each task?"

I read it as 3

message 16: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) | 819 comments And yes I am excited too :-)

message 17: by Stacy (last edited Dec 31, 2010 05:55AM) (new)

5 pts.
1. Fall – Wicked Appetite (October)
2. Free – See Jane Date (December)
3. Celebrate - Celebutantes (December)
4. Cozy – The Mosts (October)
5. Black – Wake (November)
6. Name – TBD
7. Definition… - TBD
8. It’s So…. - Vintage Veronica (November)
9. How Many? - Midnight Pearls: A Retelling of "The Little Mermaid" (October)
10. ACTION! – The Love Goddess' Cooking School (November)

10 pts.
1. Er… - Damsel Under Stress (October)
2. EEEEKKKK!!! – Once Upon Stillettos (October)
3. Happy Bday! – Bitter is the New Black (November)
4. Hand – TBD
5. Zoo – Tales from a Hen Weekend (December)
6. Job! – Heiress For Hire (December)
7. Sisterly – The Solomon Sisters Wise Up
8. Dancing Shoes – Spanish Disco
9. Thick/Thin – Manstealing for Fat Girls
10. Agree/Disagree? – Forget Me Knot (Suzanne gave two stars)

15 pts.
1. Same – Mini-Shopoholic (October) & The Wedding Girl Sophie Kinsella/Madeline Wickham (Nobember/December)
2. Prepositions – Before Midnight & Questions to Ask Before Marrying
3. Homophones – Eye To Eye & Personally, I Blame My Fairy Godmother
4. Pronouns – Friends, Lovers and Other Indiscretions & Love and Other Natural Disasters
5. Quantifiers – Some Like It Haute & The Package Deal: My (not-so) Glamorous Transition from Single Gal to Instant Mom

25pts.
1. Word: First Comes Love, True Love, True Hollywood Lies
2. Author: - Gone - Lisa McMann (December), Gucci Mamas - Cate Kendall (October), Queen of Babble - Meg Cabot (November)
3. Title: Gimme a Call (3) (October), And Then Everything Unraveled (4) (October), When You Least Expect It (5) (October)
4. Copyright: Don't Hex With Texas (2008) (November), Fade (2009) (November), And Then I Found Out The Truth (2010) (October)

180/325 points
24/42 books

The Solomon Sisters Wise Up (Red Dress Ink) by Melissa Senate Spanish Disco (Red Dress Ink (Numbered Paperback)) by Erica Orloff Manstealing for Fat Girls by Michelle Embree Forget Me Knot by Sue Margolis Before Midnight A Retelling of "Cinderella" (Once Upon a Time) by Cameron Dokey Questions To Ask Before Marrying by Melissa Senate Eye To Eye (Red Dress Ink) by Grace Carol Personally I Blame My Fairy Godmother by Claudia Carroll Friends, Lovers and Other Indiscretions by Fiona Neill Love and Other Natural Disasters by Holly Shumas Some Like It Haute by Julie K.L. Dam The Package Deal My (not-so) Glamorous Transition from Single Gal to Instant Mom by Izzy Rose First Comes Love by Whitney Lyles True Love (and Other Lies) by Whitney Gaskell True Hollywood Lies by Josie Brown

message 18: by Stacy (new)

Kristin wrote: "question - for the 25 point tasks, do we read 3 or 4 books for each task?"

Yup three books per task.

message 19: by Stacy (new)

Kourtney wrote: "Already!? How exciting! Thanks Stacy as always!"

Yeah, I've been super bored at work so I was able to get a head start on this one. :)

message 20: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Stacy wrote: "Kourtney wrote: "Already!? How exciting! Thanks Stacy as always!"

Yeah, I've been super bored at work so I was able to get a head start on this one. :)"

Wow! I guess so! :)

Kristin (Kritters Ramblings) | 553 comments thanks stacy - I am definitely excited to get started on plotting my options!

I am trying my darndest to read all 40 for the last challenge!

message 22: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 422 comments Kristin wrote: "thanks stacy - I am definitely excited to get started on plotting my options!

I am trying my darndest to read all 40 for the last challenge!"

Wow! So fast...some great books I share with you on my TBR lsit:)
I still feel like I"ve barely read any books for the current task to move on yet..but I love making these lists so I"ll work on mine later this week too...love the collage of bookcovers:)

message 23: by Stacy (new)

Cathy wrote: "Kristin wrote: "thanks stacy - I am definitely excited to get started on plotting my options!

I am trying my darndest to read all 40 for the last challenge!"

Wow! So fast...some great books I..."

I know, I'm thinking about basing a challenge just on book covers...

message 24: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Stacy wrote: "I know, I'm thinking about basing a challenge just on book covers..."

I am a sucker for covers... I would love that!

message 25: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (kc0217) | 335 comments Very exciting!!

message 26: by Stacy (new)

Ashley wrote: "Stacy wrote: "I know, I'm thinking about basing a challenge just on book covers..."

I am a sucker for covers... I would love that!"

Glad to know that!

message 27: by Tara (last edited Nov 22, 2010 05:59AM) (new)

Tara 5 pts.

1. Fall for Books! – Hannah's List-Debbie Macomber
2. Land of the Free –Bergdoff Blondes-Plum Sykes
3. Celebrate Good Times – Perfect Blend-Sue Margolis
4. Get Cozy – Ex-Mas-Kate Bryan
5. Back in Black –Love Unscripted-Tina Reber
6. What’s Your Name? –Cocktails for three-Madeleine Wickham
7. The Definition is… - Witch and Wizard-James Patterson
8. It’s So…. – The Glamorous Double Life of Isabel Bookbinder-Holly McQueen
9. How Many? – Southern Lights-Danielle Lights
10. Aannnndd ACTION! – See Jane Date-Melissa Senate

10 pts.

1. Er… - OctobER, NovembER, DecembER – Summer at Willow Lake-Susan Wiggs
2. EEEEKKKK!!! –Wicked Appetite-Janet Evanovich
3. Happy Birthday! – Call Me Mrs. Miracle-Debbie Macomber
4. Lend a Hand – All Eyes of her-Poonam Sharma
5. It’s a Zoo – Fishbowl-Sarah Mylnowski
6. Get a Job! – Fire Me-Libby Malin
7. Sisterly Love – Versace Sisters-Cate Kendall
8. Put on Your Dancing Shoes –Adventures of a Salsa Goddess-JoAnn Hornack
9. Through Thick & Thin –Thin, Rich Pretty-Beth Harbison
10. Agree or Disagree? –Scenes from a holiday-Laurie Graft (Stacy gave it two stars)

15 pts.

1. Name’s the Same-Mini-Shopaholic-Sophie Kinsella and Sleeping Arrangements-Madeleine Wickham
2. Prepositions – Like Mother, Like Daughter-Jane Sigaloff, There’s No Place Like Home-Cecelia Ahern.
3. Homophones – Eye to Eye-Grace Carol, I don’t know how she does it-Allison Pearson
4. Pronouns – Everyone Worth Knowing-Lauren Weisberger, Everyones Else’s Girl-Megan Crane
5. Quantifiers – Pretty Little Liars-Sara Shepard, Knit Two-Kate Jacobs

25pts.

1. Word Relay: Babyville-Jane Green, Babyface-Fiona Gibson, A little change of face-Lauren Baratz-Logsted
2. Author Relay: Lucky Girl-Fiona Gibson, Goodluck-Whitney Gaskell, Certain Girls-Jennifer Weiner
3. Title Relay: Sugar and Spice-Lauren Conrad(3), Good times, Bad Boys-Melanie Murray (4), When You least expect it-Whitney Gaskell (5)
4. Copyright Year Relay – Lock & Key-Sarah Dessen (2008), Love is a four-legged word-Kandy Shepherd (2009), Legacy-Danielle Steel (2010)

80/325 points
14/42 books

message 28: by Cathy (last edited Sep 02, 2010 10:26AM) (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 422 comments Ashley wrote: "Stacy wrote: "I know, I'm thinking about basing a challenge just on book covers..."

I am a sucker for covers... I would love that!"

Ditto...as much as I love audio and ebooks - nothing beats a pretty colorful cover:)

message 29: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joelizrado) | 95 comments Have you seen the new audio books at the library that come on an MP3 player? You just need a battery and headphones, it is cute it looks like a little book, like the size of a small calculator with the cover on it and everything, you can get the best of both worlds :)

message 30: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 767 comments Joanne wrote: "Have you seen the new audio books at the library that come on an MP3 player? You just need a battery and headphones, it is cute it looks like a little book, like the size of a small calculator wit..."

I have! My friend at work likes them so I decided to try one. It was my first time listening to a book (I've never listened to them on cd or anything) so it was a little weird at first. But the playaway is great because it's small and you can take it with you anywhere.

message 31: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 422 comments Joanne wrote: "Have you seen the new audio books at the library that come on an MP3 player? You just need a battery and headphones, it is cute it looks like a little book, like the size of a small calculator wit..."

I didn't realize those were new!?! I saw them at my local library too..the playaways...cool...how long have they been around?

message 32: by Stacy (new)

Joanne wrote: "Have you seen the new audio books at the library that come on an MP3 player? You just need a battery and headphones, it is cute it looks like a little book, like the size of a small calculator wit..."

I wonder if my library has those! I've never heard of them - that would be awesome!

message 33: by Tara (new)

Tara Stacy wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Have you seen the new audio books at the library that come on an MP3 player? You just need a battery and headphones, it is cute it looks like a little book, like the size of a small..."

I was thinkging the same thing Stacy. I will have to check it out.

message 34: by Kristin (Kritters Ramblings) (last edited Dec 30, 2010 06:16AM) (new)

Kristin (Kritters Ramblings) | 553 comments Oct-Dec 2010 Challenge

5 pts.
1. Fall for Books - Just Don't Call Me Ma'am
2. Land of the Free, set in NYC - Carrie Pilby
3. Celebrate Good Times - Midnight Champagne
4. Get Cozy - The Girl in the Green Raincoat: A Novel
5. Back in Black - The Memory Keeper's Daughter
6. What's Your Name? - (Kristina) Crank
7. The Definition is . . . - (WORDS - summer, cloud, above)
The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud
8. It's So . . . - (adj) The Long Road Home
9. How Many? - (pluralized) Bed of Roses
10. AAnnnnddd Action - Saving Max

10 pts.
1. Er - The Crepe Makers' Bond
2. EEEEKKK!! - not sure yet
3. Happy Birthday! - Little Princes: One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal
4. Lend a Hand - Unless It Moves the Human Heart: The Craft and Art of Writing
5. It's a Zoo - Wolves in Chic Clothing: A Novel
6. Get a Job - The Frugalista Files: How One Woman Got Out of Debt Without Giving Up the Fabulous Life
7. Sisterly Love - Sister
8. Put on Your Dancing Shoes - A Dance of Sisters
9. Through Thick & Thin - Conversations with the Fat Girl
10. Agree or Disagree? - (Kimberly, 2 stars) American Wife

15 pts.
1. Name's the Same - Getting Personal & Vintage
2. Prepositions - As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto & My Life as a Doormat (in Three Acts)
3. Homophones - Letters to Ethan & A Tale of Two Sisters
4. Pronouns - I, Emma Freke & Everything I Was
5. Quantifiers - All I Ever Wanted & Three Weddings and a Bar Mitzvah

25 pts.
1. Word Relay - A Page Out of Life, Life, Libby, and the Pursuit of Happiness, & Happiness Sold Separately

2. Author Relay - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo , Missing Mabel , & Delirium

3. Title Relay - City of Tranquil Light: A Novel , Hope in Patience , & Sunset Park

4. Copyright Year Relay - These Things Hidden (03/11), It Started with a Dare (9/10), & Things Worth Remembering (10/09)

230/325 points
30/42 books

Kristin (Kritters Ramblings) | 553 comments Excited about this challenge - have a few still up in the air!

message 36: by Ashley (last edited Dec 29, 2010 03:40PM) (new)

Ashley My list, so far...

5 pts.
1. Fall for Books! - B is for Burglar by Sue Grafton
2. Land of the Free – Dumping Billy by Olivia Goldsmith
3. Celebrate Good Times - Whiskey Sour by J A Konrath
4. Get Cozy - Stuck in the Middle by Virginia Smith
5. Back in Black – undecided
6. What’s Your Name? – "Suzanne" - Split by Suzanne Finnamore
7. The Definition is… - "Mountain, Appraisal, Suitability" - Deadly Appraisal by Jane K. Cleland
8. It’s So…. - Bloody Mary by J.A. Konrath
9. How Many? - Backseat Saints by Joshilyn Jackson
10. Aannnndd ACTION! - Catching Genius by Kristy Kiernan

10 pts.
1. Er… - OctobER, NovembER, DecembER - Summer People by Elin Hilderbrand
2. EEEEKKKK!!! – Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella
3. Happy Birthday! - Alphabet Weekends by Elizabeth Noble (December)
4. Lend a Hand - Hand Me Down by Lee Nichols
5. It’s a Zoo - Fishbowl by Sarah Mlynowski
6. Get a Job! - Piece of Work by Laura Zigman
7. Sisterly Love - The Smart One & the Pretty One by Clare LeZebnik
8. Put on Your Dancing Shoes – Dancing in the Lowcountry by James Villas
9. Through Thick & Thin – Size 12 is not Fat by Meg Cabot
10. Agree or Disagree? – Life's a Beach by Claire Cook, (Cathy 2 stars)

15 pts.
1. Name’s the Same – Remember Me by Sophie Kinsella and The Tennis Party by Madeleine Wickham
2. Prepositions - undecided
3. Homophones - Forget me Knot by Sue Margolis and Loves Me, Loves Me Not by Libby Malin
4. Pronouns – undecided
5. Quantifiers – Hard Eight by Janet Evanovich and Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom

25pts.
1. Word Relay - Models Don't Eat Chocolate Cookies by Erin Dionne, Eat Pray Love Elizabeth Gilbert, LoveHampton by Sherri Rifkin

2. Author Relay - Knitting Under the Influence by Claire LaZebnik, To the Nines by Janet Evanovich, and Barefoot by Elin Hilderbrand

3. Title Relay - The One That I Want by Allison Winn Scotch {5}, Time of my Life by Allison Winn Scotch {4}, and Break no Bones by Kathy Reichs {3}

4. Copyright Year Relay: Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks {2010}, Look Again by Lisa Scottoline {2009}, Match Point by Erynn Mangum {2008}

215/325 points
27/42 books

message 37: by Stacy (new)

Ashley wrote: "My list, so far...

5 pts.
1. Fall for Books! - B is for Burglar by Sue Grafton
2. Land of the Free – Spooning by Darri Stephens
3. Celebrate Good Times - Friday Night Cocktails by Allison R..."

Models Don't Eat Chocolate Cookies is a great book!

message 38: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Stacy wrote: "Models Don't Eat Chocolate Cookies is a great book!"

I might have stolen it from your 'read' list... I looked at a few people's from the group because I was running out of book ideas!

message 39: by Ashley (new)

Ashley As you can see, I have a lot of 15 pointers to find... I can find a lot with the pronouns, quantifiers, but hard to find 2 with the same one!

message 40: by Stacy (new)

Ashley wrote: "As you can see, I have a lot of 15 pointers to find... I can find a lot with the pronouns, quantifiers, but hard to find 2 with the same one!"

LOL, that's why they're 15 point tasks. ;)

message 41: by Stacy (new)

Ashley wrote: "As you can see, I have a lot of 15 pointers to find... I can find a lot with the pronouns, quantifiers, but hard to find 2 with the same one!"

It's a YA book, so it's an easy read. She also wrote another book called The Total Tragedy of a Girl Named Hamlet. I've got a request in at the libary for that one. I've been waiting for it to come available on Bookmooch or Paperback Swap but I'm tired of waiting. I'll have to figure out a way to fit it in the new challenge.

message 42: by Daniella (new)

Daniella Brodsky (daniellabrodsky) | 6 comments I'm so excited to see how these arbitrary selection criteria will influence my reading, and in turn, my writing!!
Stacy wrote: "Rules:
2. Anyone may join in at any time, and count any books read between October 1 and December 31. All participants must post their b..."

message 43: by Stacy (new)

Daniella wrote: "I'm so excited to see how these arbitrary selection criteria will influence my reading, and in turn, my writing!!
Stacy wrote: "Rules:
2. ..."

Call me a nerd, but I'm excited that I have an awesome author taking part in my reading challenge! Thanks Daniella!! :)

message 44: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 1215 comments Hee hee nerd!

Ok I take that back because I'm just as excited - same way I felt when I found out Melissa Senate follows my reviews (YIPPIEE!)

message 45: by Kourtney (last edited Dec 31, 2010 05:28PM) (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 1215 comments 5 pts.

1. Fall for Books! - Couch World by Cathy Yardley
2. Land of the Free – Because She Can by Birdie Clark
3. Celebrate Good Times -Cocktails for Three by Madeline Wickham
4. Get Cozy - Th1rteen R3easons Why by Jay Asher
5. Back in Black – Gloss by Jennifer Oko
6. What’s Your Name? – So Much For My Happy Ending by Kyra Davis
7. The Definition is… - My Heart May Be Broken, But My Hair Still Looks Great by Dixie Cash
8. It’s So…. - The Glamorous, (Double) Life of Isabelle Bookbinder by Holly McQueen
9. How Many? – The Anxiety of Everyday Objects by Aurelie Sheehan
10. Aannnndd ACTION! - Diary of a Working Girl by Daniella Brodsky

10 pts.

1. Er… - OctobER, NovembER, DecembER - I NevER Fancied Him Anyway by Claudia Carroll
2. EEEEKKKK!!! – A Fiend in Need by Maureen Child
3. Happy Birthday! – Lipstick Jungle by Candace Bushnell
4. Lend a Hand – Guilty Feet by Kelly Harte
5. It’s a Zoo – Monkey Love by Brenda Scott Royce
6. Get a Job! - Hardly Working by Betsy Burke
7. Sisterly Love - Names My Sisters Call Me by Megan Crane
8. Put on Your Dancing Shoes – One Dance in Paris by Julia Holden
9. Through Thick & Thin –Thin is the New Happy by Valerie Frankel
10. Agree or Disagree? – (Angela – 2 stars) Dedication by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus

15 pts.

1. Name’s the Same – Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella and The Wedding Girl by Madeleine Wickham
2. Prepositions – The Thing About Jane Spring by Sharon Krum and It’s About Your Husband by Lauren Lipton
3. Homophones – Your Big Break by Johanna Edwards and Love the One You’re With by Emily Giffin
4. Pronouns – The Little Lady Agency & The Little Lady Agency in the Big Apple by Hester Browne
5. Quantifiers – The Little Lady Agency and the Prince by Hester Browne and Little Pink Slips by Sally Koslow

25pts.

1. Word Relay: The Baby Trail by Sinead Moriarty; Baby Needs a New Pair of Shoes by Lauren Baratz-Logsted; In Her Shoes by Jennifer Weiner
2. Author Relay: Roommates by Whitney Lyles – Women on the Edge of a Nervous Breakthrough by Isabel Sharpe – Un-Veiled by Eileen Rendahl
3. Title Relay: Wedding Season by Darcy Cosper (2 words); The Blonde Theory by Kristin Harmel (3 words); How to Be Cool by Johanna Edwards (4 words)
4. Copyright Year Relay – Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer (2007); Schooled by Anisha Lakhani (2008); The Actor and the Housewife by Shannon Hale (2009)

Total: 290
Books read: 38

message 46: by Stacy (new)

Kourtney wrote: "Hee hee nerd!

Ok I take that back because I'm just as excited - same way I felt when I found out Melissa Senate follows my reviews (YIPPIEE!)"

That's too cool Kourtney! I've thought about writing reviews but I haven't the slightest clue how to go about doing it. Ok, I know I just made myself sound really stupid, but really - so many of them that I read are so professional sounding, I don't think I'd measure up.

message 47: by Stacy (new)

Kourtney wrote: "5 pts.

1. Fall for Books! - Couch World by Cathy Yardley
2. Land of the Free – Because She Can by Birdie Clark
3. Celebrate Good Times -Cocktails for Three by Madeline Wickham
4. Get Cozy ..."

How to Be Cool by Johanna Edwards - awesome book! Loved it! I've loved all of her books, I wonder how long it'll be before she publishes another one....

message 48: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ok, I have all my books picked out, except the Get Cozy one, it's my wildcard :) I am glad this challenge is a little more open in case a new book comes up that I want to read, I'll probably be able to maneuver it in without problem. At least I have a game plan!

message 49: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 1215 comments Ashley wrote: "Ok, I have all my books picked out, except the Get Cozy one, it's my wildcard :) I am glad this challenge is a little more open in case a new book comes up that I want to read, I'll probably be ab..."

I did the same with Get Cozy for any new books I buy and want to read right away! With this challenge I pulled out all of the books and set them in one stack so I won't be distracted. I'm hoping to read a lot before the holiday season. Sad part was I had to stop reading Mini-Shopaholic so I can use it for the challenge!

message 50: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I know what you mean, Kourtney... I requested Nicholas Sparks' latest book and I have been holding off reading it so I can't count it for this challenge. Once I start a Sparks book, I can't put it down. I am still working on my last book in the Make a Chain for last time, so it's ok for now.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10