Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

General Chatting > Decided to get a MAC....maybe

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Williams | 128 comments This is question I asked my FB friends. Now I'm asking you:

I'm about to throw down some crazy cash for an iMAC and MAC laptop. Tired of the PC with it's viruses, updates, freezing, malware, spyware, shutting down, blah, blah, blah. MAC users out there, tell me the pros and cons of owning a MAC. PC users, try to convince me to get another PC.

I need good arguments before I sepnd nearly a downpayment for a car on some computer. LOL

message 2: by A.M. (new)

A.M. | 349 comments As both a Mac and PC user. I'll have to go with the Mac.

It took me awhile make the adjustment, but I'm coming to find I really enjoy using the my Macbook Pro.

A.M.

message 3: by PT (new)

PT (spinsterpt) | 319 comments Stephanie,
I have a PC and am having the same issues.
The only major pro to getting a PC is price. I think you'll eventfully have to deal with same issues you are having now if you get another PC :)

message 4: by new_user (new)

new_user Which OS did you use on your PC? Windows 7 is pretty stable, especially if you're tech savvy. You may be less vulnerable to viruses with a Mac, but it still freezes.

It's simpler to buy a PC than to try and find Mac-compatible alternatives for all your programs and hardware and ones which will handle PC extensions (e.g. maybe you get a lot of Excel documents from work and so on).

If you buy a PC, you can put down that money for buying more accessories or buying cooler hardware (wireless mice, TV tuners, etc.) than simply pouring money into an OS which will still accomplish the same and will have a similar experience.

But if you're really experiencing a lot of problems with your PCs, maybe it's a good idea for you to make the switch.

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Williams | 128 comments I know. No matter how hightech the machine, they seem to start acting up after 6 months! Why can't they make a PC that has a stable operationg system like MAC, instead of you having to buy a patch every other month, or downloading updates while you're in the middle of something?

message 6: by A.M. (new)

A.M. | 349 comments Stephanie, I've gotten a lot of good feedback on the E-Machine. There not that expensive and run on the windows OS platform.

As someone who works in IT supports my advise is if you'rE going to go with another pc, make sure your anti-virus is always up to date, download and install windows updates regularly, run software that can also help detect and remove spyware/adware such as Malwarebytes

A.M.

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Williams | 128 comments Thanks A.M. But that still sounds like a lot of stuff to do. Okay, I admit, I'm lazy. LOL. I've seen the E-machines and love the price, but unfortunatly those won't do becasue I do a lot of stuff on my computer besides write. I have my own business, and I have to print invoices, contracts and things like that.

BTW, what are these netbooks that are coming out all over the place?

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Williams | 128 comments Oh yeah, I hear Windows 7 is pretty stable. I just need something that will keep my computer from freezzing up just because I put up more than one window, and stop getting that dang hourglass becuase it's trying to get to my email!

Yeah, I'm ticked. LOL

message 9: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL. I don't know, it sounds like you have an older machine. Most dual core machines now are pretty fast, and if you're planning to put down that much, then you're definitely not getting a slow machine. Are you sure the software you're using to print invoices, etc. will work on a MAC?

Netbooks are just smaller, a little bit slower, and sometimes missing DVD playback capabilities, so watch out for that if you enjoy watching movies on your laptop.

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Williams | 128 comments The laptop I got last year is dual core, 320HD but Windows Vista. Ironically my desktop crashed and I had to re-do the system, don't know what you call it, but I had to start up as if I just got it out of the box again. It runs faster than the laptop and it's a five year old computer with Windows XP Home Edition!

I am not computer savy at all. Whether I can run invoices and stuff on MAC is a concern, like you said I have to buy all the software to be compatible-- that's more money! Grrrrr!

message 11: by new_user (new)

new_user Wow! Sounds like Mac is for you then, LOL. You can probably the developer of your software and ask if they are Mac-compatible.

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Williams | 128 comments I might get a refurbished one.

message 13: by A.M. (new)

A.M. | 349 comments Stephanie wrote: "Thanks A.M. But that still sounds like a lot of stuff to do. Okay, I admit, I'm lazy. LOL. I've seen the E-machines and love the price, but unfortunatly those won't do becasue I do a lot of stuff o..."
You're welcome. A netbook is for surfing the web and checking email.

message 14: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Johnson (VanessaAJohnson) | 58 comments Stephanie,
I just got a MAC within the last month...I'm still getting used to it. So far, I like it..

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Williams | 128 comments MAC users are usually very happy. It's us PC people that are grumbling. LOL. Where did you get it from and did you get a good deal?

message 16: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Johnson (VanessaAJohnson) | 58 comments There's software they sell, Mac version and Windows version to use on the MAC so that your files are compatible with the MAC...I haven't had a problem using any of my old files yet.

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Williams | 128 comments Thats good to know because I do invoing and contracts, not just my writing. But I'm checking my software to see if they have compatible stuff

message 18: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Johnson (VanessaAJohnson) | 58 comments The MAC version is called IWorks, and there's a windows pc version.The MAC version is cheaper. That's the one I bought and installed, and documents and excel reports open with no problem thus far.

message 19: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Williams | 128 comments The cheapest iMAC I see is $1049.00 It's desk top. That's not too bad, it's the laptop that's the killer!

message 20: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Johnson (VanessaAJohnson) | 58 comments I got the desktop. I so want the laptop, but with limited funds...oh well, such is life. I'm thankful for what I got...

message 21: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Williams | 128 comments I'm going to start off witht the laptop,and see how I like it anyway before I even consider the laptop. i still have my pc laptop to get me through in a pinch.

message 22: by new_user (new)

new_user Good luck with your new computer, Stephanie! :)

message 23: by Stephanie (last edited Aug 31, 2010 02:41PM) (new)

Stephanie Williams | 128 comments Thanks, I'll need it, not computer savvy. Husband is, so I have to pick his brain. :)