The Next Best Book Club discussion

Book Related Banter > Book Fan Quirks and Reading Fun Stuff

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by John (last edited Aug 28, 2010 04:37PM) (new)

John Hampton (johnnoel) | 30 comments This is not about what you're reading or have read, but how you read and any other oddments you want to share related to being an avid reader.

I'll start off with 3:

1) I sometimes read aloud to my two dogs. At first they left the room, but now they seem to pull up a chair (read: get on the sofa and plop down) and if I stop reading, they look up as if to say, "Get on with it."

2) When I have a good book rich in dialog, I like to modify or modulate my voice, making it unique for each character. It takes a bit of practice, but I find it fun.

3) I've taken to picking author names, or character names from my favorite books and sometimes movies. I had a Scottie named Agatha Christie, another one called "Apple Annie" after a character in "A Pocket Full of Miracles," played by Bette Davis.

Perhaps it's time to have me certified a looney? Am I alone?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol Let me think John. The only oddity I do is share a passage with my non reading husband,even if he doesn't want to listen.

Aren't we all certifiable when it comes to our books. I yell at my husband when he touches a pile of books. He says they are going to fall. I say only after you touch them.

message 3: by John (new)

John Hampton (johnnoel) | 30 comments Carol, I love the "only after you touch them" line. And, I can picture your husband when you read to him. Has he ever put a pillow over his head to block you? If not, keep reading. It's good for him.

message 4: by Becky (last edited Aug 28, 2010 05:03PM) (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I generally have to read series books in order. I'm currently reading the Harry Potter series again, and this is the first time that I've interrupted them (but only because I had to!)

Speaking of... I was sent a bag of candies that happen to be a favorite of one of the HP characters, and I'm saving the last one for... their special moment. If that's not odd... I dunno what is.

I have 2 tattoos based on Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

I don't like when audiobook readers "do" characters. They tend to end up feeling fake to me... more like caricatures than the characters themselves.

Errr... that's all I can think of... for now.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol John no pillow he just ignores me or looks blankly at me and says were you talking to me. LOL

Becky the HP moment is odd , but not crazy. I love it.

message 6: by John (new)

John Hampton (johnnoel) | 30 comments Becky, What kind of candies, and just where are these tattoos?

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Sherbet Lemons and one tattoo is on the inside of my left wrist, and the other is on my left foot. :)

Tanya (aka ListObsessedReader) (listobsessed) | 317 comments I'm obsessed with collecting book lists...

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 140 comments I can't listen to audiobooks. The people reading them drive me crazy, because they aren't reading it the way I would read it. They go too low or do the voices wrong or something. I just can't take it, so I never listen to them. Not even on long car rides.

Speaking of car rides, I get sick if I read in the car, which sucks. But I can read on an airplane, so I guess that's alright.

I tend to buy books after I read them rather than before I read them. I usually check a book out of the library to red it, and then if I really like it I buy a copy to own. I guess that just means I'm stingy.

I often underline my favorite lines in a book, or make little notes on the side. Sometimes I stick those tiny little place-marker stickynotes in them so I know where all the important parts are.

message 10: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 906 comments Emily wrote: "I tend to buy books after I read them rather than before I read them. I usually check a book out of the library to red it, and then if I really like it I buy a copy to own. I guess that just means I'm stingy...."

You're not stingy at all. I do the same thing, simply to save money. I like to know for sure I like a book and I'm going to want to reread it before I buy it.

A quirk I use to have as a kid but have since outgrown simply because I just don't have the time for it anymore is I would make my own bookmarks, designing special ones for use with certain books, series, or genres.

I also like to read aloud to myself sometimes. There are just some lines that should be heard as well as read.

message 11: by Shay (last edited Aug 29, 2010 07:23AM) (new)

Shay | 62 comments I know many people who like to read by chapters- they'll generally push themselves to read until the end of a chapter. I read by fractions- I'll read 1/10 of a book, then an 1/8, etc. (Rounded up)

I have an odd way I like to organize my bookshelf. Of course, alphabetically by author's name. But, if they write a series, I like the series to be in chronological order, not alphabetical. More than one series by an author, then I like the series + standalone books to be alphabetized by alphabetical order of title. (In the case of a series, the series title is the title. If the series is untitled, then its title is the main character's name.) If a book is too different in size from its neighbors, then I place a card where it would go. The card lists the title, author, etc. and states that it is shelved with oversized books. (Oversized books are shelved out of sight because they're all different sizes and it drives me nuts to look at them.)

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol I read by setting a page number for the day. If the book is compelling I will read all night.

message 13: by Lekeshua (new)

Lekeshua | 40 comments The only oddity I can think of is having to read a good passage out loud to my husband. I just don't start reading I make a shrilling noise to get his attention first and then I start reading. That's the only way I can get his attention. And I won't stop talking about it until I get his opinion. I believe he has learned to give me feedback quicker so I can shut up and go back to reading. I love to do it in the car the most because he can't go anywhere. If we are at home I stalk him through the house until he listens and responds.

message 14: by Mona (last edited Aug 29, 2010 09:21AM) (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 116 comments Lekeshua wrote: "The only oddity I can think of is having to read a good passage out loud to my husband. I just don't start reading I make a shrilling noise to get his attention first and then I start reading. That..."

You are too funny :D. I was laughing while reading your post. How does he get back at you?

message 15: by Lekeshua (new)

Lekeshua | 40 comments He knows better or he hasn't done anything yet except call me weird.

message 16: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 116 comments Weird is good.

message 17: by John (new)

John Hampton (johnnoel) | 30 comments Emily, I think checking out the book first at the library whould have resolved my problem of TOO MANY BOOKS. When I was looking for a home here in Palm Springs, I was appalled that none of the homes had built-in bookshelves. Cost me a small fortune to have them custom made and in almost every room of the house.

So, you're smart.

message 18: by John (new)

John Hampton (johnnoel) | 30 comments Shay wrote: "I know many people who like to read by chapters- they'll generally push themselves to read until the end of a chapter. I read by fractions- I'll read 1/10 of a book, then an 1/8, etc. (Rounded up) ..."
Shay, I need you to come to Palm Springs and organize my bookcases.

message 19: by Shay (new)

Shay | 62 comments John wrote: "Shay wrote: "I know many people who like to read by chapters- they'll generally push themselves to read until the end of a chapter. I read by fractions- I'll read 1/10 of a book, then an 1/8, etc. ..."

Oh no, don't tell me you're one of those people with unorganized bookshelves. Do you have piles of books in front of the shelved books?

This is probably a sign of our family's major OCD, but we shelve our non-fiction books by Library of Congress number. They have a nifty little search feature that lets you input the title and get the number: http://catalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebre...

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Shay wrote: "Oh no, don't tell me you're one of those people with unorganized bookshelves. Do you have piles of books in front of the shelved books?"

I am one of those people. In fact, I have to reorganize my books every couple months, because I'll pull out a book, and then stack it somewhere else for reference later, so my books are constantly shifting and moving around... LOL

message 21: by John (new)

John Hampton (johnnoel) | 30 comments Shay, Amazing! I know I sound like a slob to you, but my shelves are arranged in a self-imposed order so that I can find things but in ever so simply terms. I have all books by genre, then sorted by male and female author. Not anything a library would want, but there are no stacks of books anywhere. My fear of organization based on Library of Congress dictates is that I would never have the time to read any more books or walk my dogs. And, that would not be acceptable.

message 22: by Shay (new)

Shay | 62 comments John wrote: "Shay, Amazing! I know I sound like a slob to you, but my shelves are arranged in a self-imposed order so that I can find things but in ever so simply terms. I have all books by genre, then sorte..."

No, you don't sound like slobs. I know people like to say, "Oh, I'm a little OCD." I actually have OCD. I don't have a handwashing fixation (well, a little) but when I feel out of control, I like to make lists and look at a well organized bookcase. It's one of those things that I know make no sense, but I have to do it. Especially with three kids, that is my oasis of order in the midst of chaos.

message 23: by Shay (new)

Shay | 62 comments I was making everyone nuts, cleaning and fussing. My son's doctor told me I was making him a nervous wreck, so the book thing is what I focus my compulsions on instead of the correct way to fold and stack towels, cleaning and disinfecting the bathroom after every use, etc. Nobody touches my books and I don't scream or flutter behind people. (I used to clean and polish doorknobs if people left prints. So, this is working out well for everyone.)

message 24: by John (new)

John Hampton (johnnoel) | 30 comments Shay, I'm a bit of a neat freak myself, but not to the extent you were taking it. It's nice that your son's doctor warned you, isn't it? A good deal of the time, we have an effect on others that we don't realize. And, no one touches my books without me standing right next to them.

message 25: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice No one touches my books either. If I could I would have them all in another room, but I only have one room, so if they were in another room I wouldn't have any books at all. :) Alos a couplr of my friends come over once a week to sit around together and eat, knit nad talk. One friend doesn't read very much, but the other one, whil she doesn't read as much as I do she still reads alot. Every time I see her eyeing my books I cringe. Ecspecially when she takes one down and looks at it. Fortunately out the genre she likes I don't have alot of those on those shelves and they're pretty much all older books that she has already read. I did loan her 1 book one time. I had already read it and it was a saver and so good that I really wanted to sheare it. I also asked her to make sure she kept it looking nice as I wanted to keep it and not sell it. Needless to say, you would not believe what the book looked like when I finally (she kept it for over 3 months) got it back. Stained and torn, bent and ripped cover and pages. I now keep all new buys in the closet until I fing out if they're keepers or not, then I have the option of giving them to her or not.

message 26: by Natalie (last edited Aug 31, 2010 03:20PM) (new)

Natalie Baer | 182 comments I won't loan books anymore because I didn't get back two - I remember the two people who I loaned them to but can't remember the names of the books! Just feel bereft.

message 27: by John (new)

John Hampton (johnnoel) | 30 comments I've found it's far better to just pass on books that I don't care to keep but enjoyed. (I collect first editions of murder mysteries by female authors and won't part with those) I figure that if I loan a book and don't get it back or it's not treated as I treat my books, then it's better to make a friend by just saying, "read it and pass it on to someone else."
Saves the worry and disappointment.

message 28: by Carol (new)

Carol John wrote: "I've found it's far better to just pass on books that I don't care to keep but enjoyed. (I collect first editions of murder mysteries by female authors and won't part with those) I figure that if ..."

That is what I do also John, after not getting back a few books that I wanted to keep.

message 29: by Usako (last edited Sep 01, 2010 06:16AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 326 comments These days I read most books on Kindle unless I've found a great deal on a stack of books *OR* it's a favorite read. I've about 2 1/2 shelves solely devoted to my books. Well maybe 3. Forgot another nook that holds my Austens. I'm more OCD in regards to my hardbacks but I constantly cringe over people bending the spines on the paperbacks. Typically I bite my lip whenever I loan paperbacks b/c I am certain they'll returned damaged - bent spines, curled corners, tarnished pages with muck/grease/dirt.

I guess my quirk is to talk relentlessly with coworkers, family and friends about a recent good book I've read but I have to filter based on the audience. Most aren't sci-fi/fantasy readers. SHAME! But with my father, we can gab all we like about those books. It's due to him that I read The Hobbit and Dune when I was younger.

message 30: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) When I stop reading I have to stop in a certain place. Reading to the end of a chapter is ideal. If I can't do that (chapter is too long or I get interupted) then I stop at a break (one of those *** things). If that's not possible then I MUST stop on the top of the left page. And there are even rules for that too - if the paragraph is short, I read the whole paragraph and if it is long then I have to stop at the end of the first sentence. Does this sound crazy?!? I am always telling my husband he has to wait when he's trying to talk to me (because then I can stop in the right place!). I always know where to start reading when I pick up a book though.

Here's another one: Every couple days I sit in my chair and stare at my bookshelves to admire my books. After a few months, I get tired of staring at the same thing, so I take everything down and rearrange.

message 31: by John (last edited Sep 01, 2010 02:03PM) (new)

John Hampton (johnnoel) | 30 comments Erika, Very interesting. I use those tiny Postit like arrow markers. You may have seen them on documents sent for signing to point out exactly where to sign. It's very easy and I always read to the end of a paragraph. They sell them at any office supply store or you can order them on line.

I love the bit about staring at your bookshelves. I do that too, but I have them in every room of a large house, so taking them down and rearranging would be an all week task.

message 32: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) Well sometimes it takes me a few days (I have about 3 1/2 bookshelves), but I also love to organize and reorganize stuff. It is strange...I find it very relaxing and exhilerating at the same time and can waste away hours. One time I volunteered at my library entering weeded books into the Better World Books system. 2 hours felt like 15 minutes. It was the best of both worlds. The librarians loved me for it :)

I know the sticky notes you are talking about. I used those for university while studying for exams. Now that I have a system in place it just seems better this way. That way I wont loose the sticky place marker and my place in the story.

message 33: by DevonAlyse (new)

DevonAlyse | 75 comments I have to read in hundreds...example, the book I finished last night had 262 pages, so I read 38 pages in another book. THe only problem is I have a hard time stopping in the middle of a chapter, so I usually end up not sleeping.

My book shelves are in a random chaotic order...pretty much like everything else in my house. But I can tell you exactly where each books is so you don't have to hunt for it!

I leave sticky notes in the covers of books from the library, they have my initials and the dates I read the book. And yes, if I'm in the area of a book I have checked out I look to see if it's still there. Usually it is, and sometimes it's been added too, which is kind of fun!

message 34: by Alex (last edited Sep 08, 2010 08:28AM) (new)

Alex Some of you people are really weird, man. And funny.

I'm not actually OCD, but I do find it relaxing to fuss over my bookshelves. The Europe section used to be organized chronologically by country; last weekend I combined them all into one big chronology, from ancient Greece to Le Carre. Much happier this way; before, Medieval books weren't between Rome and the Renaissance, and it just rubbed me wrong.

message 35: by Carol (new)

Carol Alex ,A man for all seasons , stranger in a strange land . hahahahahahaa. Pot calling the kettle black.

message 36: by Alex (new)

Alex Indeed, Carol, indeed.

message 37: by Carol (new)

Carol That is what is nice about goodreads, I meet others as weird as Me.

message 38: by Alex (new)

Alex Ha! Totally.

message 39: by John (new)

John Hampton (johnnoel) | 30 comments Sticky notes left on library books! I love it. You should organize a treasure hunt and include that as one of the items needed. Good thing this isn't widely read or you could start the latest craze.

Cool

message 40: by John (new)

John Hampton (johnnoel) | 30 comments Alex said, "Much happier this way; before, Medieval books weren't between Rome and the Renaissance, and it just rubbed me wrong."

A man after my own heart and equally quirky. You should post that on your profile under quotes by Alex

message 41: by Alex (new)

Alex High five, John.

And I also love the sticky note idea. I used to drop books I didn't love at subway stops, with my notes written in the inside corner and "Hope you like it better." I love the idea of books just traveling around.

message 42: by DevonAlyse (new)

DevonAlyse | 75 comments Alex wrote: "High five, John.

And I also love the sticky note idea. I used to drop books I didn't love at subway stops, with my notes written in the inside corner and "Hope you like it better." I love the id..."

Alex,

have you seen this? http://www.bookcrossing.com/ I used this site for several projects when I was in college. It's a pretty nifty concept!!

message 43: by John (new)

John Hampton (johnnoel) | 30 comments DevonAlyse, That is such a cool site. I just checked it out and will try using it. Plus I sent an email to Lori so she can look into it.

John

message 44: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) | 358 comments I've found that I can make my husband read books that are sitting in my TBR pile, which is extremely helpful. He's previewed several books for me--The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, The Unit (read), Cloud Atlas, The Passage (read), to name but four. I trust his judgement. He recently gave up on 2666 which doesn't bode well, also I cannot get him to touch Infinite Jest, except to move it out of his way.

message 45: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 501 comments I also love the sticky note in library books idea. I think I'd like to try that!

message 46: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I have this weird quirk with bookmarks. I have to have two when reading. One marks where I start and the other marks when I finish for the whole day. When I'm done reading for the day I check to see how many pages I read and feel satisfied whenever it's a high number.

If I read late in the night I have to stop at midnight...check how many pages I read and then precisely at 12:01 I change my first bookmark to the last page I read and start the process all over. Yeah, I'm a total weirdo about it.

Sometimes I read aloud...if I'm alone in the house and for some reason I always end up sounding Southern although I've never been to the South and I've lived all my life in the Northeast. I don't do it on purpose either. :/

message 47: by John (new)

John Hampton (johnnoel) | 30 comments Jackie, that's funny. Any southern blood in your history? Or did you watch Gone With The Wind too many times?

message 48: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) No! I'm Puerto Rican....I should sound like Rosie Perez or JLo. lol.

message 49: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 501 comments Jackie, I love what you do with bookmarks!

message 50: by DevonAlyse (new)

DevonAlyse | 75 comments I don't really remember what started the whole sticky note in the library book thing...I've always done it, even in the school libraries when I was little. That's when my library habits started, if we were good all week we got to pick a 30 minute activity that we wanted to do on Friday afternoons. Mine was always library time, unless we didn't finish a game of whatever we were playing at recess, obviously!! Lol.

I had started putting mini reviews between the pages at the start of Chapter One, this started in highschool. But I stopped, because while I didn't give spoilers or anything, I felt I was cheating the reader by doing that. Even tho I gave no more information than you would have gotten off the back cover or inside flaps.

The bookcrossing website is really awesome. I like the idea of setting a book off for an adventure. Although, I can't part with my favorites!! I hope hope some of you try it it out, I think it would be neat to start seeing where some of our books end up.

« previous 1