Horror Aficionados discussion

eReaders/eBooks > I got me one of them thar fancy e readers!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Aint she a beaut!

Sony PRS-300-now containing over 80 books ;)

message 2: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Cool! Happy reading.

message 3: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) :D

message 4: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Go Larry!

message 5: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie Hey! it wasn't pink!

message 6: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie Congratulations!

message 7: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Hi, Bobbie. I'm doing the most boring chore on the computer. Organizing. Boy, am I feeling punchy. I hope I don't get censored. :oD

message 8: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Bobbie wrote: "Hey! it wasn't pink!"

I know, I'm sooo disappointed by that ;)

message 9: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Aloha wrote: "Hi, Bobbie. I'm doing the most boring chore on the computer. Organizing. Boy, am I feeling punchy. I hope I don't get censored. :oD"

Calibre is so much fun-there should be a new noun,
Calibring! Mobi to epub just like that,. Oh yea baby!

message 10: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Congrats, Larry she's beautiful!

message 11: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Thanks Eileen! I shall name her Sal!

message 12: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie Aloha wrote: "Hi, Bobbie. I'm doing the most boring chore on the computer. Organizing. Boy, am I feeling punchy. I hope I don't get censored. :oD"

Must be carma I am doing the same LOL Putting all my files on an SD Card to back them up

message 13: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) I'll back all mine onto the plug in hard drive.

message 14: by Laurie | LOHF (new)

Laurie  |  LOHF (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments Beautiful, all shiny and new. Have fun with it. I have a pink model. It's so pretty.

message 15: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Thanks BarkLess( I love that username BTW!)

message 16: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Will you guys be putting personal license plates on your eReaders?

message 17: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments i've been doing research and i would only buy a kindle if i was going to get an ebook reader, definitely not a sony or a nook, no offense

message 18: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) What does your reaearch tell you Bryan? Whats your reasoning I wonder?

message 19: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Ooh, you've just insulted Larry's baby!

message 20: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments it's just better all around

message 21: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments i just got a macbook pro, and my next purchase is an e-book reader, i've been looking at all of them, and i would by far go with the kindle, and everyone i've talked with has agreed

message 22: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Well my normal reply would be that with a kindle youre limited to one format, but if you have calibre you can convert so....

message 23: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments i like yours, i'm just saying

message 24: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) :D no problem Bryan!

message 25: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments hey if you want to sell me, please do, like i said, i havent bought one yet

message 26: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments give me the specs on yours, and how many readers does dony make? ive only looked at 2

message 27: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments i just heard with the kindle, the battery life is impeccable, it's has a large lcd display, with the book ink(i forgot the term), so it wont bother your eyes, wifi-so you can browse the internet(with the nook, you cannot), and lots and lots of memory, you can share and send

message 28: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments yours is nice looking btw

message 30: by Larry (last edited Aug 28, 2010 12:33PM) (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Well sony have a few readers out, mine, the PRS-300, is their base model. Unlike others in the range it has no storage card-just like the Kindles,and a 5 inch screen as opposed to the normal 6 inch. The PRS 600 Touch has a 6 inch screen and touch screen. The most popular model is the PRS 505, which mine is based on.
Mine has no 3G or Wi-Fi but I dont need that.
It has a battery life of 6800 page turns, or 2 weeks of solid reading-upto 20 books on one charge!
You transfer books onto it via the usb cable (supplied) which also charges it, tho youre better off with a seperate charger.One isnt provided but Sony sell you one for about £25, altho we have a Sony PSP and we just use the charger from that-Charging via that takes a couple of hours (4 hours via USB)
You can also buy a case with light for about £45 if you like to read at night, which I do ;)
The display is cool, even in bright sunlight you can see still see clearly-just like you would with a regular paperback. I've never had one of these things before but when reading it you forget youre looking at an electronic display! Even at an odd angle, as in my photo above, al the detail is visible!

message 31: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Here's another site with comparisons.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/arti...

message 32: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 244 comments I love my Kindle and am actually considering upgrading to the new version of it.

message 33: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments i'm buying the new kindle 3, im going to order it next week, but it says i wont get it til mid september

message 34: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments and with the kindle you get 3g and wifi and can surf the internet,emails,etc. plus with bookink and the longest battery life on any e-reader, you cant go wrong, its a big selling point for me with the wi-fi

message 35: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Yea theres been a few delay issues from what Ive read!:

From a friend in the US:
"My Kindle was supposed to be "release date delivery" but even though Amazon said Kindles were shipping early, lots of people (at least from the online posts) are unhappy because theirs won't arrive until Monday. It looks like I'm in that group. If you order it now, they're expected to ship before September 17, but since they are currently sold out Amazon is stating it's first come first served. "

message 36: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 244 comments Fortunately I'm not in any kind of rush. I can easily wait a few months before making the switch. :)

message 37: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments yea thats okay with me, i'm excited

message 38: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments amazon needs to open a store, but i'm sure they wont, being that they are the most successful internet based shopping store ever

message 39: by Larry (last edited Aug 28, 2010 01:20PM) (new)

Larry (hal9000i) I think later editions of the Kindle will have native epub support as its now the industry standard, just like mp3 is the industry standard for music and jpg is the same for pictures.

message 40: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments I was at B&N a few minutes ago and looked at the Nook. It has wi-fi, etc. Not bad, really. But the Kindle has more free eBooks.

message 41: by Laurie | LOHF (last edited Aug 30, 2010 10:01AM) (new)

Laurie  |  LOHF (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments I love my Sony, I really do, it allows me to read gory horror novels or have a library of steamy reads that I can read without nosy-pants people sneering at me, however it is not perfect. The page load is slow and it tends to get slower if you read for long stretches at a time. Drives me nuts really. Also, when I convert a PDF in calibre it screws up the formatting and I'm left with ?'s where commas should be and big paragraph indents in every other sentence. It breaks the flow of reading and I've screwed with the settings and still can't fix it.

I do love that I can read just about anything with it, I adore calibre and it holds a charge for ages. It charges itself as I'm loading and/or deleting books and I haven't run low on charge yet. It's not perfect but I don't know that any of them are yet. Honestly, I am relieved that it doesn't offer me WIFI access because I would spend my paycheck on ebooks.

message 42: by Larry (last edited Aug 30, 2010 10:14AM) (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Yea I've just spent an hour converting a file from .doc format,which readers cat read. The solution? Load the doc into Word or whatever you use,save as HTML, then load that HTML into Calibre and convert to whatever format you want!
Only thing is the doc had loads of ?s everywhere, and the Hypertext for the Table of Contents was all screwed and just raw html code, with more ?s, so had to go thru it all with the Replace command in Open Office, replacing ? with nothing(no character so it just deletes the ?)-thats what took an hour!! Phew!

message 43: by Laurie | LOHF (new)

Laurie  |  LOHF (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments Wow, you're a heck of a lot more patient than me! Calibre is constantly improving the program so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can fix this formatting issue.

message 44: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) I find that if I edit the metadata from the Device window it crashes after a while and asks to send an Error Report to Windows.

message 45: by Laurie | LOHF (new)

Laurie  |  LOHF (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments It crashed on me last week while I was editing the metadata for some books as well. I figured it was a glitch with my ancient computer as it usually crashes on me once a day anyway but maybe it was the program.

message 46: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Did you download the latest update for Calibre, or are you still using it pre-update? (I'm on Windows XP)

message 47: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Larry, you became an eBook expert in such a short time. Bravo!

message 48: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 177 comments Bryan I have a Kindle, and the 3G is great for downloading books, but it sucks as a web browser. Way too slow, and it doesn't support anything but the most primitive kind of Web formatting. I would never use it to check e-mail or anything like that.

The Kindle is AWESOME for its intended purpose -- buying, downloading, and reading prose -- but I'm afraid if you buy it because of the web browser features you'll be disappointed.

message 49: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 2743 comments Mod
I'm really enjoying my Nook, but kindle 3 looks cute, I'm crazy enough to have more than one, so who knows..

Congrats Larry, enjoy the e reader!

message 50: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) I dont know about a Kindle kult, but I found a cool e-reader resource! :

http://www.mobileread.com/forums

« previous 1