Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived: Threads, misc. > The Most Sob-erific Books

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Feel free to post and discuss books, any type, whether it’s Romance or not, that have made you cry the most. What was it about it that made you shed your tears? An overly happy ending? Not having a HEA? Did you like the book? Was it worth the tears… or not? Be warned that this thread MAY contain SPOILERS (especially since we will most likely be talking about how books end).

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Requiem for the Devil by Jeri Smith-Ready

I don't if the ending was a HEA or not, to tell you the truth. I could feel the tears welling up long before the last page. I know that not everyone who reads this, will think its a sweet love story, but I do. The idea of Lucifer aka the Devil, changing his wicked ways after 10 billion years for the love of a woman was..... touching?

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Requiem for the Devil by Jeri Smith-Ready

Also had me crying well before the end as well, Michelle. I think it's a non-HEA or a "leave it to your own imagination" type ending, which is not my favorite type of ending, but I LOVED this book anyway.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments It's not romance but I cried for days after reading A Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Newton Peck .

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Tapestry by Karen Ranney was another tear-jerker for me, in the middle AND at the end... but not to worry, it DOES have a HEA. I recommend this book to fans of HR (especially if you like a scarred or less-than-perfect hero and a tenacious heroine)!

message 6: by Gigi, Moderator (last edited Aug 29, 2010 09:33AM) (new)

Gigi | 833 comments Cry No More by Linda Howard had a definite tear-jerker ending. The heroine went through so much! The book was an amazing book. I would recommend this book to everyone.

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments That sounds good Gigi, I'll have to look to see if my library has that one!

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) The Ship Who Searched by Anne McCaffrey had me sobbing for about 20 minutes. And it STILL does that to me in the same spot. But then again--I HATE when a kid gets sick, which is what happens at the beginning of this book.

Also, the first part of Acheron is really sad too. Man, the things that evil Sherrilyn Kenyon puts poor Archeron through.

Then I cried at the ending of The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress when Mike died. I was about 12 when I read that for the first time--and I was madly in love with Mike.

There are others too--but those are the first ones that come to mind.

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "The Ship Who Searched by Anne McCaffrey had me sobbing for about 20 minutes. And it STILL does that to me in the same spot. But then again--I HATE when a kid gets sick, ..."

I've heard quite a few people say that Acheron is pretty sad. I have to read up to that point in the series to see what everybody is talking about.

message 10: by Ѽ Cher Ѽ (last edited Aug 29, 2010 08:20PM) (new)

Ѽ Cher Ѽ  | 125 comments Yea, I agree, the first part of Acheron was a big slob-fest. I did'nt believe it as I was reading and big drops were falling on my page.

Another book/author I find myself sobbing every time I read most of his books is Nicholas Sparks.
The Last Song was one book I didn't want to read because Miley Cryrus was doing the movie.(don't like MC..) But loving Nick Sparks, I read the book. I was sobbing like crazy, even days later. ... Book better than movie ... of course.

Also by Nick Sparks .... The Choice This one stayed with me longer than a week.

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "The Ship Who Searched by Anne McCaffrey had me sobbing for about 20 minutes. And it STILL does that to me in the same spot. But then again--I HATE when a kid gets sick, ..."

I know!! I agree with you! I felt soooo horrible for Acheron! What he went through the first half of the book was tough to read! I was sooooo happy when he finally got his HEA!! :o)

message 12: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments Megan wrote: "That sounds good Gigi, I'll have to look to see if my library has that one!"

Oh Megan! Good! I'm dying to hear your thoughts on this one. Its really good.

message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Great! Hopefully I'll be able to get to it sooner rather than later!

message 14: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 752 comments Outlaw's Embrace-by Francine Rivers. Have a box of tissues handy.

message 15: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 116 comments How about the kids books -Where the Red Fern Grows,The Giving Tree????
I should make a tear-jerker shelf. There is one my face leaked so much it didn't go back to normal for days - but can't think of the title.

message 16: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Ruth wrote: "How about the kids books -Where the Red Fern Grows,The Giving Tree????
I should make a tear-jerker shelf. There is one my face leaked so much it didn't go back to normal ..."

I second those for sure, Mom. Are you thinking about A Knight in Shining Armor?

message 17: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 116 comments Megan wrote: "Ruth wrote: "How about the kids books -Where the Red Fern Grows,The Giving Tree????
I should make a tear-jerker shelf. There is one my face leaked so much it didn't go b..."

not KISA I'll keep thinking

message 19: by Denise (new)

Denise Along the YA line, I would add The Cay
When my kids were in grammer school the teachers would give book assignments. I had to read this to my son because he is dyslexic. I cried through half the book. Well I also cry when I read Babushka Baba Yagatoo and that is a kiddie book..
Megan wrote: "Ruth wrote: "How about the kids books -Where the Red Fern Grows,The Giving Tree????
I should make a tear-jerker shelf. There is one my face leaked so much it didn't go b..."

message 20: by Denise (new)

Denise Hands down, tearfest!
Paradise Paradise by Judith McNaught
Not a romance, but 3 kleenex: The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd The Secret Life of Bees

message 21: by Denise (new)

Denise Agreed, a sob fest!! But as a bonus Ohhh the H was drool worthy
Gigi wrote: "Cry No More by Linda Howard had a definite tear-jerker ending. The heroine went through so much! The book was an amazing book. I would recommend this book to everyone."

message 22: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments He was!!! I completely agree. Cry No More was an awesome book!

message 23: by Denise (new)

Denise Here is another I remembered! It's an oldie and not typical Danielle Steel
The Promise by Danielle Steel

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1) by Lisa Kleypas

But I laughed as much as I cried!

message 25: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments Denise wrote: "Here is another I remembered! It's an oldie and not typical Danielle Steel
The Promise by Danielle Steel"

Do you believe that I've never read Danielle Steele???

message 26: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1) by Lisa Kleypas

But I laughed as much as I cried!"

That was a good one. That limo ride gets me every time! LOL

message 27: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Gigi wrote: "✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1) by Lisa Kleypas

That was a good one. That limo ride gets me every time! LOL"

I know it! Now I've started reading the next book in that series, and I found myself wanting to cry for the heroine a few times already.

message 28: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Gigi wrote: "✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1) by Lisa Kleypas

That was a good one. That limo ride gets me every time! LOL"

I know it! Now I've started..."

Oh yeah! That one is definitely a tear-jerker!

message 29: by Michelle (last edited Jun 05, 2011 06:47AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Another major tear jerker is The Bronze Horseman (Tatiana and Alexander, #1) by Paullina Simons .

message 30: by Denise (new)

Denise Gigi wrote: "Denise wrote: "Here is another I remembered! It's an oldie and not typical Danielle Steel
The Promise by Danielle Steel"

Do you believe that I've never read Danielle Steele???"

Unheard of!! :) But if you read one, you read them all. They all start to sound the same after a few.

message 31: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I just finished reading If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman . Even though it was a quick and easy read- I found myself crying quite a bit. My teeny bopper niece read it in one sitting, so I figured I'd do the same. It probably took me about 2.5hrs to read it.

message 32: by Ann (new)

Ann Noell (fantasyannie) I love C.L. Wilson books but the last two Queen of Song and Souls and Crown of Crystal Flame, I cried through most of both of them. I would have to put the book down because I could not see the words through my tears. I was reading on my lunch hour at work and everyone thought something awful had happened because I was crying.

message 33: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) Ann wrote: "I love C.L. Wilson books but the last two Queen of Song and Souls and Crown of Crystal Flame, I cried through most of both of them. I would have to put the book down because I could not see the wor..."

Just goes to show everyone's tastes are different. LOL I read teh first book in this series and had very high hopes for it. But it really didn't do anything for me and I never bothered with the rest of the series.

message 34: by Ann (new)

Ann Noell (fantasyannie) Kelley you should have not given up on the series, the rest of the books are wonderful! But as you said, everyone has different tastes, that is why there are so many books to chose from.

message 35: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Ann wrote: "Kelley you should have not given up on the series, the rest of the books are wonderful! But as you said, everyone has different tastes, that is why there are so many books to chose from."

Ann, I read all but the last book. I have it on my TBR shelf. Since my library has all books, I thought I'd listen to the first four again, b/f diving into the last. Is it the last, BTW?

message 36: by Ann (new)

Ann Noell (fantasyannie) yes Lisa Kay, the Crown of Crystal Flame is the last book, I loved the series! I don't give very many books 5 stars but this series I did.

message 37: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jul 19, 2011 10:45AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Ann wrote: "yes Lisa Kay, the Crown of Crystal Flame is the last book, I loved the series! I don't give very many books 5 stars but this series I did."

So, no more in the series coming out? (Not just the last book out.)

message 38: by Ann (new)

Ann Noell (fantasyannie) she is working on a fantasy romance The Winter King and when that is done she will do another book about the Fading lands Bel's story.

message 39: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Ahh... GTK, thanks!

message 40: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Texas Destiny (Texas Trilogy, #1) by Lorraine Heath - and I haven't even finished it yet!!

message 41: by Anna (new)

Anna Wadlow (awadlow42) | 226 comments Here is a non HEA / non-fiction...Two Little Girls In Blue...I cried through it all for those kids.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.