Start by marking “Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1)

Sugar Daddy

(Travises #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  36,820 ratings  ·  2,000 reviews
Lisa Kleypas has enthralled millions of readers with her powerfully seductive novels. Now she delivers a story featuring her most unforgettable characters yet...

SHE'S FROM THE WRONG SIDE OF THE TRACKS

Liberty Jones has dreams and determination that will take her far away from Welcome, Texas---if she can keep her wild heart from ruling her mind. Hardy Cates sees Liberty as c
Published March 6th 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Sugar Daddy, please sign up.
Nia in my opinion nothing will ever top her historical romances but this comes hella close with the heroines still coming across as strong and determined…morein my opinion nothing will ever top her historical romances but this comes hella close with the heroines still coming across as strong and determined as ever.(less)
Marissa Read it. Let me tell you when it was first published I wouldn't read it because of the love triangle and the title. It's one of my favorites. This…moreRead it. Let me tell you when it was first published I wouldn't read it because of the love triangle and the title. It's one of my favorites. This series is her usual Gold Star standard and I think you'll like it. She doesn't see them at the same time really and it ranges from her as a teenager to an adult.(less)

·  36,820 ratings  ·  2,000 reviews

Christy
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it

photo IMG_2935_zpsp73nh0zs.png

This was once again, a book I would have never picked up had my favorite book pusher not recommend it to me. Thanks, Rachel! When she heard I had never read Lisa Kleypas, she demanded I read this one as soon as possible. I picked up the audio shortly after and was so happy I did! I fell in love with the writing and with Liberty Jones story.

Liberty Jones is a teenager living in a Texas trailer park with her momma. Life takes her through a lot. A baby sister, her momma passing, becomin
Shawna
Re-read 2/17/19 (Ten years after my first/original read):

5++++ stars – Contemporary Romance

This still remains one of my absolute, all-time favorite books. I especially love the last third of the story (from page 274-418), which I've read countless times. The romance between Liberty and Gage never fails to make me swoon and cry!

I really hope Lisa Kleypas writes Carrington's book one day. And I would love to see this made into a movie!

Edited 8/24/13:

5++++ stars – Contemporary Romance

Sugar Dadd
Auntee
Mar 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Lisa Kleypas
With already 446 reviews of this book, I'm sure everything's already been said..but I'll add in my 2 cents!

I've had this book on the TBR pile for years--and I don't know why. I love LK's historicals (she's one of the few historical authors I read), so I don't know what kept me from trying this one. Maybe I didn't have faith that Kleypas could weave her magic with a contemporary as well as a historical? Well was I ever wrong! I thought this book was just wonderful. Yes, there were just a few thin
Baba
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED

Sometimes life has a cruel sense of humor, giving you the thing you always wanted at the worst time possible. The irony of it split my heart open, setting loose more bitter regret than I could bear.

Photobucket

Be aware that my review is a little bit spoiler-ish; nothing major though

About my rating
When you read my review you will ask yourself why I rated this book so high. Well, even though I dislike chick lit I think it wouldn't be fair to give it a low rating. That's a personal pref
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Geri Reads
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first time I read this book, I wasn't too enamored by it. First of all, the hero and heroine didn't meet until halfway through the book. Second, I thought another guy was going to be the hero and I was rooting for him. Turns out, he wasn't the hero. The latter turned out to be a blessing in disguise since this guy became the hero in the second book, which is my favorite in the series. So it's not surprising that I liked this better the second time around because I've gained some perspective ...more
♥Sharon♥
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book by Lisa Kleypas. I stumbled upon it a few days ago and when I realized a lot of my GR friends loved it I decided to give it a go.

photo PicMonkey Collage_zpsjb00aw0w.jpg

When Sugar Daddy starts out we meet a young Liberty Jones. She is living with her mom, trying to find her spot in world, dreaming about her future and falling in love like any other teenager. She doesn’t have much but she surrounds herself with people that matter knowing that someday her life would be different.

While fluttering through her young
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
Buddy Read with the lovely people at the Unapologetic Romance Readers in April 2016.

Last night I would have given Sugar Daddy more stars. This morning, refreshed and having thought about it, I'll settle for 2 Gage stars.

Seriously! Why was Hardy in this book to begin with? He was barely there for Liberty during her childhood. And he couldn't help scratch her itch. And don't give that I won't be able to leave if I have you nonsense because I don't buy it.

description

Also, the next book in the series, Blue-Eye
Mo
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a re-read – loved it the first time around….

Liberty Jones, living in a trailer, with her Mom, with no prospects …

She meets Hardy Gates, an older guy, living in the trailer park also. They become friends but he wants OUT of Welcome and he knows if he gets involved with her, that won’t happen.

He leaves town and Liberty has to grow up fast…. Her Mom has another child, Carrington, who Liberty loves, as if she were her own…

It takes place over a number of years…. Liberty takes control of her
Lisa Kay
This is my favorite LK series. Yes, I know, I know. I'm mainly a historical romance reader. Plus, I've never really been thrilled over first-person POV*, but these books sold me. This book leading the series is truly wonderful.

I still remember when I first saw the paperback was finally out in the bookstore and being so disappointed because yet another one of my favorite HR authors was bowing to pressure and going mainstream. I wasn't reading contemporary romances at the time, so I actually hesit
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: https://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Lisa Kleypas definitely doesn’t need my crappy little review in order to sell books, so I’ll make this short and sweet and then tell y’all how I ended up arriving terribly late to this party.

Liberty wound up in Welcome, Texas as a kid with her momma and momma’s deadbeat boyfriend. It was in Welcome that she met Hardy – boy next door (and on the wrong side of the tracks) who placed Liberty firmly in the friendzone due to their age diff
Rachel Reads Ravenously
5 stars!

I LOVED THIS BOOK! I'm so shocked, I put off reading it for years because of the horrible title. It was so good!!!

First thing everyone needs to know or this book might piss them off, the hero isn't introduced until halfway into the book. Yes there is another man at the beginning and he's wonderful but he has his own book in this series.

Sugar Daddy is about Liberty Jones,
Wendy
A keeper, a favorite and just love, love, love it!

Gage Travis
Photobucket

You've won a fan here Lisa Kleypas.
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*

I initially gave this 3-stars but revised it to 4-Stars on second read.

Thoughts on first read (in 2009):

I am a huge fan of Kleypas’ historical romances and was somewhat disappointed in this contemporary story. It read like the life story of Liberty Jones as opposed to a contemporary romance. I did really love Liberty and really felt for her through her hardships, but felt a lot of the things that happened in the first half of the book could have been shorter. Based on the blurb at the back of t

Eastofoz
Jun 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Tammy
Shelves: chick-lit
What an utter disappointment this book was. I was tempted to give this two stars but then I changed my mind to three stars because it’s more like 2.5 seeing as it is generally well-written, but in no way is this a romance in my book. I’ve read mixed reviews from some saying it’s romance and others it’s women’s fiction. It’s 100% chick-lit which I dislike. I don’t care about the main character’s “journey” through hardship and angst, I want to see the romance, the emotional connection with the oth ...more
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

5 Stars!

This was the second time I experienced this wonderful story and I still like it as much as I did the first time and maybe even a little more. I still remember picking this book up the first time at my local library shortly after its release. I remember looking for something new to read and the bright colors on the cover of this book called to me. I had never heard of Lisa Kleypas but I decided to take that book home with me and give i
mich
EDIT! I just read a bunch of the lower starred reviews, and NO ONE seems to be upset about the stuff that I'm upset about. So I guess it's official - I'm just a weirdo.

I don't know how to rate this book! I hated the last 15%. HATE.

But I really loved most of it up till then. I loved the way Liberty's life was chronicled from the time she was 14 years old all the way through her 20's. I loved the way Kleypas captured the essence of the small town of Welcome, Texas, and the artful way she painted
Amy | Foxy Blogs
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amy | Foxy Blogs by: Shreya
Sugar Daddy is Liberty's story from childhood to adulthood. She experiences everything from love to heartache. In her teen years she's forced to become an adult after tragedy strikes. Growing up poor and not wanting to take handouts she's determined not to end up with a Sugar Daddy like some of her co-workers have done.

Liberty has decided she is destined to be an old maid. Her life changes when two men want her affection.
"I'm thinking how thankful I am for everything even the bad stuff. Every
Liz* Fashionably Late

Amazing! :D Kleypas really knows how to do it.

I know without a doubt this man loves me for exactly who I am. No conditions, no limits. That’s a miracle too. In fact, every day is filled with ordinary miracles. You don’t have to look far to find them.

You know how sometimes you look back at simpler times and realize how all the shit in your life was actually necessary and good? How all those things that you went through were part of this bigger plan and brought you to this moment and maybe fo
Anna
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Buddy read with the foxiest of all Foxy's ❤❤❤

Tammy
Jun 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I approached this book with much trepedition. Lisa Kleypas is my favorite historical romance author, so I wasn't thrilled about her recent move to contemporaries. (Very few authors can actually pull this off.) And then there is the fact that this book is written in first person. (Not a fan!) The blurb on the back of the book does not do it justice either.

Frankly, I thought I would be forcing myself to plow through a Danielle Steel-esque type of soap opera.

But I found that I was pleasantly surp
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Contemporary romance fans, LK fans
Recommended to Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) by: Elena
Despite being forewarned that this wasn’t exactly a contemporary romance, I was still surprised to read that Sugar Daddy was more of a women’s fiction read. It was a heartfelt coming-of-age story involving one of the best heroines I’ve read in a long time. Liberty Jones wasn’t born into a lavish life. She lived with her mother in a trailer park with her useless boyfriend in a place where being half-Mexican wasn’t entirely accepted. But despite being dealt bad cards, Liberty has an inner strengt ...more
Duchess Nicole
I love, love, loved this book. It was so much more than I expected! Much different and more involved than her other historical novels. This is, I think, her first attempt at contemporary romance, but its more than your typical romance book. Highly recommend this one, and the next two in the series are just as wonderful!
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
3 I refuse to believe Lisa Kleypas wrote this book stars

Did this book bore me ?

Yes,the first 50% of the book did,with so many unnecessary details of the lead protagonist's childhood.Before you all go yelling at me with (SHOUTEY CAPITALS),let me just take a moment to explain what I meant.

I get that it's important at times,to go in depth into a character's past to understand them as individuals and what really makes them choose the things,that they choose.
But that DOES NOT mean I want to read he
Renae
At this moment, I am angry. Hand-shakingly, stomach-achingly furious. I am appalled by this. Absolutely appalled. This is my first Lisa Kleypas novel, and right now I’m having a hard time imagining a circumstance that would compel me to touch anything she’s written in the future. I am enraged, horrified, and really just saddened by Sugar Daddy.

Before I get to the really nasty part of the review, I’ll touch on the story and characters, etc. Our main character is Liberty Jones, a girl from the tra
Caty
Jun 08, 2010 rated it liked it
This book is really hard to review.

For the first 200 pages (and yes, the book has like 312 pages) i was constantly checking at the cover image of my e-book, wondering if i'd somehow screwed up the purchase and was reading some story from the wrong author. I'm a recently initiated Lisa Kleypas' lover, but i think i've come to know her style, but to me, 3/4 of the book was an awful narrative experience, with lots and lots of pages of over descriptive chapters telling us the struggles Liberty had t
MelissaB
Summer
Sugar Daddy is about Liberty Jones. Liberty's father died while she was very young in an oil accident. He was Mexican while her mother is blond and fair. Liberty inherited her father's coloring though and feels like her family isn't enough with only her and her mom. They move to a trailer park in Welcome, TX and that's where she meets Hardy. Hardy is pure trouble, but from the moment they met Liberty is in head over heels. They are a few years apart however and Hardy plans on leaving Welcome. He ...more
Jan
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. A wonderful slow-build story that starts off recounting Liberty's impoverished childhood in Texas. Her childhood is no picnic because of the poor choices made by her mother, also from some just plain bad luck. But Liberty always knows her mother loves her, above all.

Liberty makes friends with a tough, sexy older boy named Hardy, from the local neighbourhood, whom she meets when she is almost fifteen. They form a lovely, deep friendship. As they mature, both of them want more. But Hard
Didi
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
*** 4.5 STARS! ***

I won't bother with a long review considering I read Blue-Eyed Devil and Smooth Talking Stranger first. I will say however, THE TRAVIS MEN ARE LETHAL.

I am in love with this world. Everything about it is so intriguing, including the men that make it up. These Texans are pure, unadulterated ALPHAS. They are smooth, sultry and capable of many unspeakable things, ;-)).

I loved Liberty. Enduring all she did and coming out stronger for it makes her a heroine worth rooting for and admi

• Letters to a Secret Lover
  • Within Reach
  • Rough Wrangler, Tender Kisses
  • A Perfect Groom (Sterling trilogy, #2)
  • Texas Splendor (Texas Trilogy, #3)
  • Dream a Little Dream (Chicago Stars, #4)
  • Comanche Moon (Comanche, #1)
  • A Necessary Husband (Necessary, #1)
  • Taken by Desire
  • Paradise (Second Opportunities, #1)
  • Private Arrangements (The London Trilogy #2)
  • See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2)
  • Breaking Point (I-Team, #5)
  • Surrender A Dream
  • Talk Me Down (Tumble Creek, #1)
  • Don't Look Down (Samantha Jellicoe, #2)

Travises (4 books)
  • Blue-Eyed Devil (Travises, #2)
  • Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3)
  • Brown-Eyed Girl (Travises, #4)
“Sometimes life has a cruel sense of humor, giving you the thing you always wanted at the worst time possible.” 1498 likes
“Sometimes a woman needs a man for company, no matter how useless he is.” 625 likes