Start by marking “Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1)

Sugar Daddy (Travises #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  35,266 Ratings  ·  1,875 Reviews
Lisa Kleypas has enthralled millions of readers with her powerfully seductive novels. Now she delivers a story featuring her most unforgettable characters yet....
SHE'S FROM THE WRONG SIDE OF THE TRACKS
Liberty Jones has dreams and determination that will take her far away from Welcome, Texas---if she can keep her wild heart from ruling her mind. Hardy Cates sees Liberty as
Published March 6th 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Sugar Daddy, please sign up.
Katherine Pinkstone She does see both men, (for about 2 chapters), near the end of the book. She doesn't sleep with with both men at the same time. In my opinion what…moreShe does see both men, (for about 2 chapters), near the end of the book. She doesn't sleep with with both men at the same time. In my opinion what takes place is not cheating. You'll have to read the book to understand what I mean as I don't want to give away the story.
It's an excellent novel in desperate need for an alternative name, I nearly didn't read this book because of its title. (less)
Nia in my opinion nothing will ever top her historical romances but this comes hella close with the heroines still coming across as strong and determined…morein my opinion nothing will ever top her historical romances but this comes hella close with the heroines still coming across as strong and determined as ever.(less)

Shawna
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Contemporary romance fans; anyone who loves a great heroine
5++++ stars – Contemporary Romance

Edited 8/24/13: Sugar Daddy is the book that initially made me a Lisa Kleypas fan, but I love everything she’s written. I’ve reread this several times now and it’s still one of my top all-time favorite beloved romances. I can’t wait for Joe’s story!

I really wish this series would get made into a movie!

Original Review 4/24/09:

This is the first novel I have read by Lisa Kleypas, and I mainly read it in order to have the necessary background to read “Blue-Eyed De
Auntee
Mar 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Lisa Kleypas
With already 446 reviews of this book, I'm sure everything's already been said..but I'll add in my 2 cents!

I've had this book on the TBR pile for years--and I don't know why. I love LK's historicals (she's one of the few historical authors I read), so I don't know what kept me from trying this one. Maybe I didn't have faith that Kleypas could weave her magic with a contemporary as well as a historical? Well was I ever wrong! I thought this book was just wonderful. Yes, there were just a few thin
Baba
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED

Sometimes life has a cruel sense of humor, giving you the thing you always wanted at the worst time possible. The irony of it split my heart open, setting loose more bitter regret than I could bear.

Photobucket

Be aware that my review is a little bit spoiler-ish; nothing major though

About my rating
When you read my review you will ask yourself why I rated this book so high. Well, even though I dislike chick lit I think it wouldn't be fair to give it a low rating. That's a personal pref
Geri Reads
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first time I read this book, I wasn't too enamored by it. First of all, the hero and heroine didn't meet until halfway through the book. Second, I thought another guy was going to be the hero and I was rooting for him. Turns out, he wasn't the hero. The latter turned out to be a blessing in disguise since this guy became the hero in the second book, which is my favorite in the series. So it's not surprising that I liked this better the second time around because I've gained some perspective ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
Buddy Read with the lovely people at the Unapologetic Romance Readers in April 2016.

Last night I would have given Sugar Daddy more stars. This morning, refreshed and having thought about it, I'll settle for 2 Gage stars.

Seriously! Why was Hardy in this book to begin with? He was barely there for Liberty during her childhood. And he couldn't help scratch her itch. And don't give that I won't be able to leave if I have you nonsense because I don't buy it.

description

Also, the next book in the series, Blue-Eye
♥Sharon♥
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book by Lisa Kleypas. I stumbled upon it a few days ago and when I realized a lot of my GR friends loved it I decided to give it a go.

photo PicMonkey Collage_zpsjb00aw0w.jpg

When Sugar Daddy starts out we meet a young Liberty Jones. She is living with her mom, trying to find her spot in world, dreaming about her future and falling in love like any other teenager. She doesn’t have much but she surrounds herself with people that matter knowing that someday her life would be different.

While fluttering through her young
Mo
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a re-read – loved it the first time around….

Liberty Jones, living in a trailer, with her Mom, with no prospects …

She meets Hardy Gates, an older guy, living in the trailer park also. They become friends but he wants OUT of Welcome and he knows if he gets involved with her, that won’t happen.

He leaves town and Liberty has to grow up fast…. Her Mom has another child, Carrington, who Liberty loves, as if she were her own…

It takes place over a number of years…. Liberty takes control of her
Marisa Sauco
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me encantó conocer a Liberty. ¡La adoré! ❤
A medida que ella me contaba su historia, sentí que iba caminando a su lado y creciendo con ella. Sentí su dolor y su frustración hasta el punto de querer abrazarla y contenerla. La admiré por la valentía de asumir responsabilidades que no se correspondían con su edad, y el coraje de luchar frente a cualquier adversidad sin perder la esperanza. Fui deseando que pudiera cumplir todos sus sueños y sus anhelos, y celebrando sus logros como si fueran propio
Lisa Kay
This is my favorite LK series. Yes, I know, I know. I'm mainly a historical romance reader. Plus, I've never really been thrilled over first-person POV*, but these books sold me. This book leading the series is truly wonderful.

I still remember when I first saw the paperback was finally out in the bookstore and being so disappointed because yet another one of my favorite HR authors was bowing to pressure and going mainstream. I wasn't reading contemporary romances at the time, so I actually hesit
Wendy
A keeper, a favorite and just love, love, love it!

Gage Travis
Photobucket

You've won a fan here Lisa Kleypas.
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*

I initially gave this 3-stars but revised it to 4-Stars on second read.

Thoughts on first read (in 2009):

I am a huge fan of Kleypas’ historical romances and was somewhat disappointed in this contemporary story. It read like the life story of Liberty Jones as opposed to a contemporary romance. I did really love Liberty and really felt for her through her hardships, but felt a lot of the things that happened in the first half of the book could have been shorter. Based on the blurb at the back of t

Eastofoz
Jun 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Tammy
Shelves: chick-lit
What an utter disappointment this book was. I was tempted to give this two stars but then I changed my mind to three stars because it’s more like 2.5 seeing as it is generally well-written, but in no way is this a romance in my book. I’ve read mixed reviews from some saying it’s romance and others it’s women’s fiction. It’s 100% chick-lit which I dislike. I don’t care about the main character’s “journey” through hardship and angst, I want to see the romance, the emotional connection with the oth ...more
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

5 Stars!

This was the second time I experienced this wonderful story and I still like it as much as I did the first time and maybe even a little more. I still remember picking this book up the first time at my local library shortly after its release. I remember looking for something new to read and the bright colors on the cover of this book called to me. I had never heard of Lisa Kleypas but I decided to take that book home with me and give i
Amy (Foxy)
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amy (Foxy) by: Shreya
Sugar Daddy is Liberty's story from childhood to adulthood. She experiences everything from love to heartache. In her teen years she's forced to become an adult after tragedy strikes. Growing up poor and not wanting to take handouts she's determined not to end up with a Sugar Daddy like some of her co-workers have done.

Liberty has decided she is destined to be an old maid. Her life changes when two men want her affection.
"I'm thinking how thankful I am for everything even the bad stuff. Every
mich
EDIT! I just read a bunch of the lower starred reviews, and NO ONE seems to be upset about the stuff that I'm upset about. So I guess it's official - I'm just a weirdo.

I don't know how to rate this book! I hated the last 15%. HATE.

But I really loved most of it up till then. I loved the way Liberty's life was chronicled from the time she was 14 years old all the way through her 20's. I loved the way Kleypas captured the essence of the small town of Welcome, Texas, and the artful way she painted
Liz* Fashionably Late

Amazing! :D Kleypas really knows how to do it.

I know without a doubt this man loves me for exactly who I am. No conditions, no limits. That’s a miracle too. In fact, every day is filled with ordinary miracles. You don’t have to look far to find them.

You know how sometimes you look back at simpler times and realize how all the shit in your life was actually necessary and good? How all those things that you went through were part of this bigger plan and brought you to this moment and maybe fo
Tammy
Jun 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I approached this book with much trepedition. Lisa Kleypas is my favorite historical romance author, so I wasn't thrilled about her recent move to contemporaries. (Very few authors can actually pull this off.) And then there is the fact that this book is written in first person. (Not a fan!) The blurb on the back of the book does not do it justice either.

Frankly, I thought I would be forcing myself to plow through a Danielle Steel-esque type of soap opera.

But I found that I was pleasantly surp
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Contemporary romance fans, LK fans
Recommended to Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) by: Elena
Despite being forewarned that this wasn’t exactly a contemporary romance, I was still surprised to read that Sugar Daddy was more of a women’s fiction read. It was a heartfelt coming-of-age story involving one of the best heroines I’ve read in a long time. Liberty Jones wasn’t born into a lavish life. She lived with her mother in a trailer park with her useless boyfriend in a place where being half-Mexican wasn’t entirely accepted. But despite being dealt bad cards, Liberty has an inner strengt ...more
Anna
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Buddy read with the foxiest of all Foxy's ❤❤❤

Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
3 I refuse to believe Lisa Kleypas wrote this book stars

Did this book bore me ?

Yes,the first 50% of the book did,with so many unnecessary details of the lead protagonist's childhood.Before you all go yelling at me with (SHOUTEY CAPITALS),let me just take a moment to explain what I meant.

I get that it's important at times,to go in depth into a character's past to understand them as individuals and what really makes them choose the things,that they choose.
But that DOES NOT mean I want to read he
Renae (Romantic Parvenu)
At this moment, I am angry. Hand-shakingly, stomach-achingly furious. I am appalled by this. Absolutely appalled. My Nook will now have to be bathed in bleach and ammonia due to the contamination caused by this book. This is my first Lisa Kleypas novel, and right now I’m having a hard time imagining a circumstance that would compel me to touch anything she’s written in the future. I am enraged, horrified, and really just saddened by Sugar Daddy.

Before I get to the really nasty part of the review
Caty
Jun 08, 2010 rated it liked it
This book is really hard to review.

For the first 200 pages (and yes, the book has like 312 pages) i was constantly checking at the cover image of my e-book, wondering if i'd somehow screwed up the purchase and was reading some story from the wrong author. I'm a recently initiated Lisa Kleypas' lover, but i think i've come to know her style, but to me, 3/4 of the book was an awful narrative experience, with lots and lots of pages of over descriptive chapters telling us the struggles Liberty had t
Duchess Nicole
I love, love, loved this book. It was so much more than I expected! Much different and more involved than her other historical novels. This is, I think, her first attempt at contemporary romance, but its more than your typical romance book. Highly recommend this one, and the next two in the series are just as wonderful!
MelissaB
Jill
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
In 2007 when Sugar Daddy first came out I grabbed my copy from the library and settled in for a great read. Unfortunately I only got about a third the way through and bailed. Four years later and I'm sure with the same library copy - a little the worse for wear - I completed it.

Sometimes you read a story and it just doesn't go the way you want it to. And yet you still love the book. That's how I view Sugar Daddy. It is a testament to the brilliance of Lisa Kleypas as a writer that though she has
Marian
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No es el tipo de historia que me gusta, mucho drama y poco conflicto.-
Jan130
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. A wonderful slow-build story that starts off recounting Liberty's impoverished childhood in Texas. Her childhood is no picnic because of the poor choices made by her mother, also from some just plain bad luck. But Liberty always knows her mother loves her, above all.

Liberty makes friends with a tough, sexy older boy named Hardy, from the local neighbourhood, whom she meets when she is almost fifteen. They form a lovely, deep friendship. As they mature, both of them want more. But Hard
Didi
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
*** 4.5 STARS! ***

I won't bother with a long review considering I read Blue-Eyed Devil and Smooth Talking Stranger first. I will say however, THE TRAVIS MEN ARE LETHAL.

I am in love with this world. Everything about it is so intriguing, including the men that make it up. These Texans are pure, unadulterated ALPHAS. They are smooth, sultry and capable of many unspeakable things, ;-)).

I loved Liberty. Enduring all she did and coming out stronger for it makes her a heroine worth rooting for and admi
[Aengell]
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Reread in preparation for Brown-Eyed Girl

This is a review after the fourth reread, so it's not really worth the title of a review, but of some, or rather many, thoughts about the novel. And this reads much better if you've read the novel already, which leads again to the unworthiness as a review.

I love, love, love this novel. I can understand everyone who has the typical bothersome aspects, but still, this is one of Lisa Kleypas' greatest works.

I'm a big fan of romance and love stories, so it
Linda Howard Book...: March's Book of the Month-Sugar Daddy by Lisa Kleypas 27 20 Apr 18, 2017 11:02PM
Books SIMILAR TO Sugar Daddy! 10 308 Jan 22, 2017 10:58AM
Más libros para Latinoamérica!! 1 6 Jun 02, 2016 10:43AM
Unapologetic Roma...: Kleypas, Lisa // Sugar Daddy 55 50 Apr 13, 2016 10:00PM
Hardy & Gage 15 258 Oct 27, 2014 06:33PM
The Lost Challenges: [September]"Sugar Daddy"Group Read non-pnr BOM Discussion<SPOILER> 16 33 Sep 30, 2013 02:11PM
  • Rough Wrangler, Tender Kisses
  • Letters to a Secret Lover
  • Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars, #2)
  • Surrender A Dream
  • Perfect (Second Opportunities, #2)
  • Comanche Moon (Comanche, #1)
  • Texas Glory (Leigh Brothers Texas Trilogy, #2)
  • A Necessary Husband (Necessary, #1)
  • Taken by Desire
  • Start Me Up (Tumble Creek, #2)
  • See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2)
  • The Promise of Jenny Jones
  • One Night with a Prince (Royal Brotherhood, #3)
  • Untamed (MacKinnon's Rangers, #2)
More about Lisa Kleypas

Travises (4 books)
  • Blue-Eyed Devil (Travises, #2)
  • Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3)
  • Brown-Eyed Girl (Travises, #4)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cowboy Bold (Longhorn Canyon, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Love Letter
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Provocative (White Lies Duet, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“Sometimes life has a cruel sense of humor, giving you the thing you always wanted at the worst time possible.” 1456 likes
“Sometimes a woman needs a man for company, no matter how useless he is.” 622 likes