Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Are people without computers cut off from society?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 250 comments I am wondering about persons who do not have computers.

For example, often on the news, the newsreader will say :"For further details, go to our website at..."

If it is information you really do not need, you can skip the details. What if for example it is a health or safety issue and you might need further infomration?

I am concerned because the people least likely to have computer, as far as i have noticed, are seniors or very poor. These people need infomration just as much as anyone else. Maybe more so.

Thoughts?

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments This is a fascinating question. I don't know if "cut off from society" is the descriptive phrase I would use, but I agree, they're at a definite disadvantage in terms of being able to get information quickly and accurately.

I'm always on my students to remember, when they become teachers, that not every student will have computer access and can't easily get to search engines, etc. Sometimes they say "but they can go to the library" but then you're asking one student to put in way more time than another, assuming that kid can get to the library and get on a computer, even.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

My experience so far, and it is limited to dealing with my mother and my inlaws is that they would be much more likely to call the doctors office in the case of a health issue, or place a call to us to find out. So there are work arounds for some.

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I know people who still don't trust/understand the many benefits of direct deposit or ATMs, much less online banking.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

We still have people that work for us that don't have bank accounts.

message 6: by Barb (new)

Barb Jim "In dreams we enter a world entirely our own" wrote: "We still have people that work for us that don't have bank accounts."

See, now that blows my mind. I have an online friend who does not have one, and I just can't comprehend how people go about their household "business" without a flipping bank account.

message 7: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments not having a bank account is crazy, until the entire world collapses. but maybe there's no use for money then anyway.

message 8: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 250 comments BunWat: I totally agree with you about job listings.

In our library, we have few public access computers, so you are limited to half an hour. Hard to get more than a few applications submitted in that time.

And until a job is found, the person surely cannot afford to buy a computer!

message 9: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Depends on their society. I would say if they were an African Bushman...no.

message 10: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 09, 2010 01:05PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) My mom is very anti-technology. Not because she's against it, necessarily, but she just has a mental block about learning how to use it (believe me, I've tried to teach her).

She owns a cell phone that stays turned off in her purse for emergencies only.

She owns a computer that she uses for playing solitaire, pretty much. No internet.

All of her bill paying is done the old fashioned way, through checks. She doesn't own a debit card (although she keeps a credit card for emergencies and pays it off immediately if it's used). If she needs money, she'll go to the bank and get out a few hundred. I would say that 95% of her transactions are done with checks or cash.

If she needs to know the weather, she watches weather channel. If she sees something on television that she wants to order, she calls the phone number. If she wants to find a restaurant, she calls the place and asks for directions, etc.

Neither her or my dad need a job since they're retired, but my dad uses the newspaper classifieds for other things.

Is it hard for her? No. If that's all you've ever done/known, it's not hard at all. I couldn't get her to change, even if I wanted to.