Delirity discussion

Author K > Downside Ghost - S. Kain

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2) by Stacia Kane City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3) by Stacia Kane

message 2: by Heather (last edited Nov 15, 2010 11:56AM) (new)

Whose finished Unholy Ghost?

Carrie
Heather
Jessica B.
Vivian

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela B It's funny this got voted for the monthly read they caught my eye a few weeks ago and B&N I still have a picture of them on my phone to reming me I like them....

Different note, why is it that so my series are changing the look of covers in the middle of the series? it drives me nuts I like the 1st 2 more then the 3rd here

message 4: by Heather (new)

I know. Although, a lot of series started out with cruddy covers. Some are just new editions, others probably have new artists for some reason or another.

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela B I don't like the change in the anita blake covers, I feel like I'm looking at instruments of torture on the new editions and new releases

message 6: by Heather (new)

Ya, I didn't like them either. They're just bland. Seriously, you're book has like 5-10 people in one bed and that's the cover you picked?

message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela B Exactly! I really liked the original covers and I think they should have stuck with those!

message 8: by Heather (new)

I had to buy it since the library didn't have it. I had planned to read it today, but after Iron King, I decided to download the rest of that series and finish it before moving on. I'm so easily distracted.

message 9: by Heather (new)

Finished it. I'll wait until some of you read it.

message 10: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I might get the ebook. I can get the audio too. Decisions, decisions...

message 11: by Heather (new)

Go with the cheapest. I'm on the fence. I keep changing my mind.

message 12: by Angela (new)

Angela B When I get back to Florida I'll have to get this from the library.

message 13: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) Finished Unholy Ghosts.

Once I got used to the slang, was pretty interesting, if not slightly complicated - very busy story, lots of characters and action.

*possible spoiler/speculation*

The girl is a flippin drug addict. Wow, does she know how to pop pills! I don't really care about drug use in books, but it was a little overkill for me. I'm wondering if the drug use continues in the next book, or if there's a reason for its prominence in this first story. Like something happens to Chess and she decides to quit using.

message 14: by Heather (new)

I was just wondering if someone else was going to finish this one or not. The slang threw me at first, but there was something about the whole complicated mess that I liked. It wasn't too easy to figure out. I say I'm on the fence because I go back and forth between it was great and different to it was odd and talk about a depressing life. I will read book 2. I don't have to read it today, but I really want to see what will happen next so I'll get to it the next month or or two at the most.

***Spoiler***

The drugs was my issue too. Although, it was kind of nice to have the main character not be perfect or little miss priss. She was down in the dirt (or as close to what you can be and still function within societal norms. Part of me didn't want to deal with the drug issue, but the other part appreciated the constant struggle the character had. I'd like to see her stop, but I don't know if she will in the next book.
I also think she went home with the wrong man.

message 15: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I haven't started it yet. I have been having to do computer work, so I haven't been able to get much reading in.

message 16: by Vivian (last edited Sep 15, 2010 09:00PM) (new)

Vivian (_vivian) **spoiler**

Heather wrote: "...I also think she went home with the wrong man."

ME TOO! I don't mind the man she picked, but will read on and hope she changes her mind later :)

message 17: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments So I started it, but I'm not really into it.

***SPOILER***

I'm just finding it boring, and I really don't like the drug use. I don't mind it sometimes, but it feels out of place. And does it have to be mentioned over and over? I mean I only just started and she's mentioned it like 10+ times.

message 18: by Heather (new)

She's completely additcted. It kind of runs her life.

message 19: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) Yay, someone else is reading it! Keep going, it gets better and you get more or less used to the drug use. Not a love it book, but kept me interested til the end.

message 20: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I don't mind drug use in some books (especially in dark YA books), but for some reason it is really annoying to me in this one. It is just too much to not be the plot of the book. If it wasn't a group read I probably wouldn't finish it. Hopefully I'll change my mind by the end. I'm getting there.

message 21: by Heather (new)

It's the drug abuse mixed with the slang that go me. One or the other by itself would have probably been fine, but adding the two it got on your nerves a bit. I think it did get better as it went on. I had issues with it in the beginning.

message 22: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Well I finished and I still didn't really care for it. I didn't hate it, and it had potential. It just wasn't for me. I was really looking forward to this one too.

message 23: by Heather (new)

Sorry.

message 24: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments We can't love them all. :( I feel like I need to read something amazing. I'm in a slump.

message 25: by Vivian (last edited Sep 22, 2010 04:44PM) (new)

Vivian (_vivian) Carrie (Care) wrote: "We can't love them all. :( I feel like I need to read something amazing. I'm in a slump."

I'm sorry :(

message 26: by Heather (new)

Sorry. I feel guilty even though I didn't vote for it. I just think it's weird that only 2 of the people that voted for this are even trying to read it. It got 6 votes. We should have 6 readers minimum.

message 27: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 22, 2010 10:38PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments I did the nom, so if anyone should feel bad it's me, lmao. I figured it was a safe pick because it has an over 4 star average rating, and it was different. I try to find things to nominate that have a higher average rating than 3.5 and this one did.

Although, it's hard to know about a series if you're nominating something that you haven't read (which I'm assuming is the point).

message 28: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I voted for it. I had been wanting to read it for a while, so I figured it was a good way to make sure I got to it.

Stacia, I have nominated things I have read before if I really loved it. Not that that means everybody else will love it, but maybe some people will that have similar taste to me.

message 29: by Heather (new)

You were the 2 that actually are trying to read it after having voted for it.
Don't worry Stacia. I didn't hate it. Didn't LOVE it, but I'll still read book 2 since I'm curious now. And you're right, it finally was something different and that's part of what did interest me from the book.

message 30: by Angela (new)

Angela B I think I voted for it and I do plan to read it I just have put most my books aside to try to finish the Delirity Challenge by the end of next month

message 31: by Heather (new)

=) haha. I feel like the evil book enforcer. You must read now!

message 32: by Angela (new)

Angela B maybe you are the evil book enforcer......hmmm? :)

message 33: by Heather (new)

Apparently I need a whip or something to help terrify people into reading.

message 34: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 23, 2010 02:46PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments I find that maybe 10% at most of a group's population follows the monthly reads. It's pretty similar across the board for most of the groups I'm in.

I'm in so many groups that there's no way I can do all the group reads from every group, so there are only 3 of my groups that I dedicate myself to keeping up with on the challenges and monthlies, this being one of them. You can take that as a compliment Heather, because I appreciate that this group covers almost all of the popular UF/PNR from both adult and YA, which isn't the norm. I also really enjoy doing the ones from my YA sci-fi and fantasy group because they get me reading something other than PNR/UF.

message 35: by Heather (new)

Thank you Stacia. I try and read at least one from each of my groups because I feel like if I don't then I should just delete the group. I have one I want to delete now, but they have an event coming up that interests me so I'm barely hanging on.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments There's a few groups that I have zero comments in and I can't bring myself to delete them because I like to see what their monthly reads are.

message 37: by Heather (new)

That's why I stick with one of my groups. They have great choices every month, but I rarely get to read them on time. I try and make sure I get to it at least every other month if I can't get to it every month.

message 38: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Some groups I belong to have so many members, it's hard to really get a good conversation going. I don't do the group reads often then. But I do try to do some every once and a while, but I have so many books to read, if I'm not really interested or I can't find the book at the library I don't bother. I found Night Huntress through a group read, so I appreciate them.

Then I have groups like my WoT group, where we don't do group reads at all. The group is dead sometimes and then around release time it's busy. Most of my online WoT time is spent at dragonmount though, a WoT fansite. Since the prologue came out I have been there for 2 days straight, lol.

message 39: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments Still waiting to get this book from the library, it is soooo slow.

message 40: by Heather (new)

I'm going to have this issue with Firelight. I have to get the library to buy it first.

message 41: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I actually got that one and just finished reading it, it was really good for a first book and a YA book.

message 42: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Is it worth buying Darcy? I will have to buy it as my library doesn't have it.

message 43: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments That is a hard one Carrie, if it was paperback I would say it is worth buying, but in hardcover, not sure if it is worth that much.

message 44: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 28, 2010 01:15AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments Ok, so I hit a spot where I'm having a hard time going on. Does this book get better? How does it have an over 4 star average rating? Am I just missing something here?

message 45: by Vivian (last edited Sep 27, 2010 11:31PM) (new)

Vivian (_vivian) Stacia, if you don't like it yet, chances are it won't get much better. There isn't any moment when you think, yes, that's what I was waiting for. It just reads the same from beginning to end, if that makes any sense.

*edit*
Haha, I just re-read an earlier post where I said it gets better with time. Now I'm confused...

message 46: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments Stacia wrote: "Do you think it's possible the author's writing style isn't working for me?

I enjoy UF, so you would think this would be right up my alley."

It is very possible you don't like the writer's style. Have you read anything else by this author? If you didn't like those, then it is possible you won't like this.

Although I have found different authors where I don't like some books, but then really like others.

message 47: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Stacia wrote: "Do you think it's possible the author's writing style isn't working for me?

I enjoy UF, so you would think this would be right up my alley."

I read the whole thing and didn't like it. I love UF, but this one just wasn't for me. I couldn't connect at all to the main character, Chess or Chase (I can't even remember her name and I just read it).

message 48: by Heather (new)

I'm the one that said it got better over time. In the beginning I didn't like it at all, but as I got use to the slang and the characters it got easier to read. It doesn't get drastically better, but it's not as awkward basically.

message 49: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I do think her other series is just ok, nothing great.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments I'm going to just go ahead and not worry about the points for the month and finish this book by reading a couple chapters a day, since I own the thing and don't have to rush it back to the library. That way I can still post in the discussion after I'm done, even if it's a bit late.

I could punk out and not finish it, but would rather not go that route since I put the book up for the nom, figuring that it looked interesting.

« previous 1