Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Authors/Writers' Corner > What do you do when you get writer’s block?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Williams | 128 comments Hello fellow authors!

I’m in the middle of writing another story. I had the idea, the characters, the plot, everything. I was zooming through this story, banging out two chapters a day! Then BAM! I can’t move the story anymore. I know where I want the story to go, and I have a vivid picture in my mind, I even see the characters interacting, but I can’t seem to type it out. SIGH. What do you do in such a case? Do you think your story is a flop and trash the whole thing? Do you move on and type out whatever, even if it doesn’t make sense and go back to it later?

What’s your cure for writer’s block?

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (Joycee) | 103 comments Hey Steph,

I go thru writer's at least once every other chapter. I use that time to review what I have written, making sure I'm staying on track. If I having a massive block I'll review the story's outline. Sometimes all you need is to get away from the story for a while.

Dee

message 3: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
I suck at writer's block lol. Usually when I can't write, I tend to back off and do other things to get my mind completely off writing. Sometimes I do art, work out, watch movies. Most time it works and I start getting good ideas that make me miss writing.

I agree with Dee, sometimes you need to break away from the story and revisit it later. Even though you may be away, your subconscious is still working on it for when you're ready to dive back on in. :-)

Best wishes to you!

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
I take a break and do some reading of various genres. Read really good writers and it spurs your creativity. Also watching my favorite tv shows and movies helps. You are probably stressed and need a break. I'm not a professional writer, so I know there's more pressure when you are. But I think taking some time off is necessary to recharge your juices.

message 5: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6570 comments Mod
I never had a writer's block. I have had times, when I didn't feel like writing. Well, sit down and writing, because my mind is always writing. I do my writing in my head and then on my computer. I can go days or even weeks, before I take my writing in my head and put it on my computer.

I think what a writer should do if they come to a writer's block. Step back and go enjoy inspirations. Go read a book or watch a movie that's on your story's line. It can help you get back in the mood to write.

Listen to some music. Participate in conversations that's about your story's theme or even genre.

Read your story up to the part where you stop at. It doesn't have to be in one day, especially if it's kind of long already. In my opinion, reading your own story or even parts of your story can motivate you to write more to it, especially if you are in the front of the computer already.

Jot fresh thoughts down if you have to and read them. They can lead you to rush to your story to add them.

Love your story from afar, when you get in a writer's block.

Don't give up!