Books on the Nightstand discussion

Book Specific Discussions > Children's Book question-recommendation

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 41 comments Hi everyone, I thought I would throw this question out there.

I have a 6 year old who LOVES non-fiction, facts, stats, etc. I read him stories, but he loves non-fiction. He pores over a World Atlas I bought him. I also bought a kids World Almanac which he has devoured.

I'm curious if there are any specific non-fiction series of books that people would recommend. I'm familiar with all the fiction chapter books and series, and I know about the DK-photo rich non-fiction books. But, I wasn't sure if there was a specific non-fiction imprint, publisher or series that I might be missing.

It's easy to find various fiction series or authors, but non-fiction books tend to be scattered around in most kids sections of the bookstores.

Some of his interests include dinosaurs, the weather, maps, animals, etc. Thanks.

message 2: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) Hi Jeff,
For his age, the "Let's Read and Find Out Science" series would be great. They are labeled Stage 1 or 2. "Germs Make Me Sick" was an all-time favorite here.

National Geographic has a series of children's readers about animals and nature. Check out their website for titles: http://tinyurl.com/2bp7z34

"The Magic School Bus" series of books is another one my kids enjoyed--especially the Human Body one.

"All Aboard Science Readers" through Grossett-Dunlap would be another source of good non-fiction.

Googling for children's book awards for non-fiction is a way to find outstanding books that aren't necessarily part of a series. The National Science Teacher's Foundation gives awards each year for nonfiction. http://www.nsta.org/publications/ostb...

Good Luck!
Judy

message 3: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 41 comments Judy, thanks for all your great suggestions! I should have thought of looking for awards. Great idea.

Jeff

message 4: by Mlgm (new)

Mlgm | 12 comments Have you thought about getting a children's encyclopedia? I had one as a kid and loved it - you could sit and read it, or dip in and out. I know the Smithsonian institute does a great one about American History and I'm sure there are plenty more.

message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 41 comments That's a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Jackson (melaniejaxn) | 12 comments At that age I was all about dinosaurs and gemstones. Time/Life had a great book about rocks and minerals that inspired me to start my own collection.

message 7: by Taueret (new)

Taueret | 42 comments Magic School Bus!

message 8: by Taueret (new)

Taueret | 42 comments also, I know youre probably not interested in Australian History, but I wonder if these exist where you are, in some form:

http://www.scholastic.com.au/schools/...

message 9: by AM (new)

AM (AMCat) | 37 comments The "You Wouldn't Want to" series is fun. The reading level may be a little high, but they are thin and are fully illustrated in a wonderful cartoon style. Various authors. The tiles are things like You Wouldn't Want to be a Victorian Servant, You Wouldn't Want to Sail on the Titanic, etc.