Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > HF Books With A Child Protagonist?

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silver (new)

Silver Well if you cannot tell I am getting ready for the Challenge and I am having trouble thinking of any HF books which feature a child/teen as the main character and it is not an easy thing to find out about book if you haven't already read the books because in most summaries they don't say the actual age of the character but simply refer to them as being "young" which could mean a vast age rage.

So does anyone know of any good books that revolve around a character who is a minor? Either books made for adults that just happen to focus on a child, or YA HF are fine with me.

As well I am open to any period of time.

message 3: by Silver (new)

Silver Felina wrote: "The Book Thief"

That one I have actually read. It was quite good.

message 4: by Felina (new)

Felina | 442 comments The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. I haven't read it but I'm fairly certain its HF.

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Wasn't that a movie too? I think I saw it.. Good movie.

message 6: by Silver (new)

Silver Felina wrote: "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. I haven't read it but I'm fairly certain its HF."

I have heard about that one, but I don't know much about it, I will have to look into it.

message 7: by Terri (last edited Aug 23, 2010 03:57PM) (new)

Terri The few I can think of are

I Am David (regarded as YA though)

I Can Jump Puddles (don't know if you can get this one easily in the U.S)

Oliver Twist

Lord of the Flies

Angela's Ashes

What Maisie Knew

Empire of the Sun

The Catcher in the Rye

Diary of Anne Frank

message 8: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2775 comments Would the "Little House on the Prarrie books work?

message 9: by Elena (last edited Aug 23, 2010 06:05PM) (new)

Elena | 12 comments Those Who Save Us Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum is excellent.
Also our month selection, The True Story of Hansel and Gretel by Louise Murphy

message 10: by Terri (last edited Aug 23, 2010 07:00PM) (new)

Terri There is also,
The Kite Runner

Now, I have not read this, but I know it is the story of a boy. Whether he is a boy all the way through, I dunno.

message 11: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2775 comments he is, I have read it.

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie (ygraine) I've not read it yet (obviously) but I have Gatty's Tale lined up for my book for this challenge.

message 13: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3385 comments Mod
Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "he is, I have read it."

Actually, the main character in The Kite Runner is an adult at the end of the book. But I'd still count that one because the majority is about the kids.

message 14: by Felina (new)

Felina | 442 comments Dawn wrote: "Wasn't that a movie too? I think I saw it.. Good movie."

Yes. I have been meaning to read/watch both of them. I've heard they are both excellent. *runs off to see if it fits for any challenge tasks*

message 15: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Felina wrote: "Dawn wrote: "Wasn't that a movie too? I think I saw it.. Good movie."

Yes. I have been meaning to read/watch both of them. I've heard they are both excellent. *runs off to see if it fits for any..."

I looked it up - I definitely saw it. Very very good movie, but very very sad. I went into it thinking it was something completely different than it was, based on the title and the blurb. Boy was I surprised after I watched it! But definitely worth a watch, and maybe a read as well (I haven't read it yet, so I can't say for sure).

message 16: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 28 comments Also The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (which was good) and Paradise Barn, which I have not yet read, but have heard good things about.

message 17: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2775 comments I have read the book but didn't care for it so I didn't watch the movie.

message 18: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Jackson (melaniejaxn) | 3 comments The Prince of Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Come to think of it, Shadows of the wind follws a boy from 11 to 18, I think.

message 19: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 528 comments Terri wrote: "The few I can think of are

I Am David (regarded as YA though)

I Can Jump Puddles (don't know if you can get this one easily in the U.S)

Oliver Twist

..."

Angela's Ashes is nonfiction - a memoir.

message 20: by Terri (last edited Aug 25, 2010 10:24PM) (new)

Terri I guess I didn't acknowledge the reference to fiction in the first post and title. The abbreviated HF doesn't always register with me as fiction. My mind playing tricks on me.
I thought Silver was just chasing books with a child protagonist, irrespective of fiction or non fiction or memoir etc.

Sorry Silver if my recommendations misled you.

message 21: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 63 comments As Carolyn has mentioned, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie would be a great book to use for this task. I highly recommend it. (The second book in the series, The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag, is very good, as well.)

message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn | 544 comments I just plugged these two books on another thread, but they work well here too: Lark and Linnet by Sally Watson. Both have teenage heroines - Lark is a 13-year-old girl embroiled with a Cavalier spy in the English Civil War, and Linnet is a 14-year-old girl in Elizabethan England who gets sucked into an underground school for training street urchins into thieves and pickpockets. Both terrific reads; the heroines are young but they grapple with growing pains and adult responsibilities and even the possibility of romance. These are the books that got me hooked on historical fiction in the first place.

message 23: by Liz (new)

Liz   (lizvegas) | 91 comments The Power of One would work. I've been wanting to read it forever.

message 24: by Brooke (new)

Brooke (brookeonbooks) | -6 comments Virgin: Prelude to the Throne features Elizabeth I when she is 13.

message 25: by Angelita Starr (new)

Angelita Starr Kerby | 3 comments To Melanie who recommended The Prince of MistOMG someone else who read that. May I also recommend The Shadow of the Windthe protagonist starts out as a younger boy. This is also by Carlos Ruiz Zafón Iam a HUGE fan of his. I recommend anything by him

message 26: by Silver (last edited Aug 26, 2010 08:37PM) (new)

Silver Wow thank you all for the great recommendations, and such a variety to choose from. Sorry for not getting back to everyone sooner but for some reason I wasn't getting the updates for this thread. I was surprised when I popped on to see it had 20 new posts.

The Prince of Mist, is actually on my TBR list. I have already read The Shadow of the Wind and The Angel's Game by the same author and thought they were great.

I hope to attend a book giveaway at a library in my area, and I will keep my eye out to see if I can find any of these possibilities.

So many of these recomendations sound really quite interesting.

I Am David sounds a lot like Empire of the Sun which I really quite enjoyed it.

The True Story of Hansel and Gretel is one of those books I have seen pop up a lot on Goodreads, and heard the name mentioned a lot but never really new much about it, but reading the discription of it, it sounds interesting.

Virgin: Prelude to the Throne I really love the idea of reading about Queen Elizebeth during her teen age years. That sounds like it could be quite interesting.

Cleopatra's Daughter I love the story about Cleopatra, so this one also sounds quite interesting as well.

message 28: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) I agree heartily with the supporters of The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. I read it recently and loved it.

For a different era and setting (Medieval Japanese fishing village), I recommend Shipwrecks by Akira Yoshimura. It was haunting, yet hopeful, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. (It is a brisk read, too.) The protag is a boy who ages from 9-12 during the span of the book.

message 29: by Cori (new)

Cori | 13 comments I definitely agree with suggestions for "The True Story of Hansel and Gretel." Its one of the few books I've read semi-recently that has really gotten to me.

What got me into Historical Fiction were Dear America books, which are written of diaries of usually pre-teen girls in different time periods. One of those would make a quick read! I haven't read them in ages, so I don't really know how 'good' they would be to an adult. There was a whole box of them at my library's recent sale.. my boyfriend was worried I was going to buy the whole thing!

message 30: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2775 comments I have some of those and I love them. I read them as an adult and enjoy them.

message 31: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 28 comments Just heard of this new book coming out, and it's rated pretty highly so far on GR. The main character is an 8-year old girl, so fits this category.
It's The Oracle of Stamboul

message 32: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Carolyn, I have heard that is terribly hyped up, not worth reading at all! Who knows?! I was intrigued until my GR friends started saying the contrary.

message 33: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney I recommend The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom. A story of the old south.

message 34: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 28 comments Chrissie wrote: "Carolyn, I have heard that is terribly hyped up, not worth reading at all! Who knows?! I was intrigued until my GR friends started saying the contrary."

Thanks for the heads-up! It has a lot of high GR reviews, but no one I know has read it yet, so I guess I'll wait to hear more about it before I pick it up.

message 35: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Carolyn, I haven't read it myself, but my friends say it is mediocre.

message 36: by Marissa (new)

Marissa (smackmyskittles) | 9 comments Carolyn wrote: "Just heard of this new book coming out, and it's rated pretty highly so far on GR. The main character is an 8-year old girl, so fits this category.
It's The Oracle of Stamboul"

I own this but haven't gotten to it yet!

message 37: by Marissa (new)

Marissa (smackmyskittles) | 9 comments Corinne wrote: "I definitely agree with suggestions for "The True Story of Hansel and Gretel." Its one of the few books I've read semi-recently that has really gotten to me.

What got me into Historical Fiction..."

These were my LIFE in Middle School!

message 38: by Chantelle (new)

Chantelle (chantelle13) | 1 comments Milkweed is one of my favorites.

message 39: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 678 comments The Boy in the Striped Pajamas = so good, heartbreaking, but a great read.

message 40: by Keri (new)

message 41: by Keri (new)

Keri (modernlove09) Okay, so maybe Sarah's Key isn't completely child-centered, but a lot of the story is

message 42: by Gordon (new)

Gordon Doherty | 12 comments 'The Gates of Rome', the first in Conn Iggulden's Emperor trilogy, follows Julius Caesar and Marcus Brutus as children/adolescents. In many ways I found this the best of the three.

Also (ahem) my debut eBook 'Legionary' follows a slave boy's rise from the gutter to become a hero in the legions of the later Eastern Roman Empire.

message 43: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice | 54 comments They don't have a copy of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas at my library. But I'm going to start doing volunteer work there next week and I hope that I can convince them to buy a few books that I'd really like to read. :)