The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 30.5- Ms Anderson and Tanja's Task: Life Lessons

Comments Showing 1-50 of 115 (115 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Aug 21, 2010 07:46AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17398 comments Mod
30.5 - Ms. Anderson and Tanja's Task: LIFE LESSONS
You don’t learn everything you need to know in school—sometimes you learn from life’s curriculum.

You’ll read two books for this task. Roll a die twice, once for each book, or use Roll the Dice. Read a book that corresponds to each number you roll. If you roll the same number twice, both books should go along with that same lesson. Required: When claiming points, say what numbers you rolled and a word or two about how your book is connected to the lesson (if it isn't obvious).

1. Don’t Feed the Trolls: Read a fantasy novel or a book featuring a mythical or supernatural creature. Ex. Marked
2. Learn from Your Mistakes: Read a book where the title contains a word from this list of commonly misspelled words: Misspelled Words Ex. The Five People You Meet in Heaven
3. Mind Your P’s and Q’s: Read a book where the author has a P or Q in his or her name. Ex. Philip K. Dick, Laura Esquivel
4. Don't Eat Yellow Snow: Ignore the hype and judge for yourself! Read a highly rated book (4.1+ average rating) and if you would like, tell us whether or not you liked the book. Ex. The Hunger Games, The Pillars of the Earth
5. Sometimes We Have to Choose the Lesser of Two Evils: Read a book that's controversial to you. Ex. Lolita, The Chocolate War
6. The Most Important Sex Organ is the Brain: Read a nonfiction book about something you don't know (or don't know well). Ex. The Year 1000, Three Cups of Tea

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.

message 2: by Megan (last edited Aug 30, 2010 07:29PM) (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Yes and No books for lessons 1-3 will be posted here.

----

1: Don't Feed the Trolls
YES
1. Guardians of Ga'Hoole series (Kathy G.)
2. Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series (Rachel Lee)
3. The Darkest Pleasure (Delicious Dee)
4. Sookie books
5. Charlie Bone

NO

2: Learn from Your Mistakes
Use the exact word on the list--avoid tenses. There are enough words that finding a book shouldn't be too difficult. However, all words on the list are fair game--articles included.

3. Mind Your P's and Q's
YES
NO

message 3: by Usako (last edited Aug 22, 2010 12:24PM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Yes and No books for lessons 4-6 will be posted here.

4: Don't Eat Yellow Snow
YES
Lover Unbound
Night World, No. 2: Dark Angel; The Chosen; Soulmate
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

NO

5: Sometimes We Have to Choose the Lesser of Two Evils
YES

NO

6: The Most Important Sex Organ is the Brain
YES

NO

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Kathy G. wrote: "I rolled a 1- Mythical/Supenatural--- Would The Capture (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #1) by Kathryn Lasky by Mytical enough?"

My intent was fantasy-type creatures, so I'll accept this. I hope you like it better than I did! lol

message 5: by Rachel Lee (last edited Aug 21, 2010 07:12AM) (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Do you consider wizards supernatural? I rolled a 2 1's and was super excited. I am hoping to fit in most of Terry Goodkind's Series as I have only read the first two. Would these count?

Example:

Blood of the Fold

message 6: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) Kathy G,

I deleted your post because you didn't wait for Tanja to reserve post 3.

Ms Anderson answered your question at post 4.

message 7: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments Sorry

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Rachel Lee wrote: "Do you consider wizards supernatural? I rolled a 2 1's and was super excited. I am hoping to fit in most of Terry Goodkind's Series as I have only read the first two. Would these count?

Examp..."

Goodkind is good!

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7513 comments for 1. would what happened to a group of people after pandora's box opened worked...Gena Showlater has a series about it...(if not thats ok...i'm trying to find a place for bk 3, since i've found a place for bk 4 already)

the description of the series is: Long ago, twelve immortals warriors – each more dangerously seductive than the last -- stole and opened Pandora’s box, unleashing the evil from within. Now they carry that evil within themselves. Violence, Pain, Death, Disease, Disaster, Misery, Doubt, Promiscuity, Defeat, Lies, Secrets, and Wrath. When a powerful enemy returns, they will travel the world in search of a sacred relic of the gods – one that threatens to destroy them all.

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "for 1. would what happened to a group of people after pandora's box opened worked...Gena Showlater has a series about it...(if not thats ok...i'm trying to find a place for bk 3, since i've found a..."

What's the title of the book so I can check it out?

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7513 comments its The Darkest Pleasure and he has the pain demon living in him...if not that's cool!

Ms Anderson wrote: "Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "for 1. would what happened to a group of people after pandora's box opened worked...Gena Showlater has a series about it...(if not thats ok...i'm trying to find ..."

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Yup, you're good. Demons are supernatural!

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7513 comments yay!! thanks!

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7513 comments for don't eat the yellow snow...any book that is rated 4.1 and over right?

message 15: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Ha! Just for fun I used the computer generator and rolled actual dice -- and got the same thing both times! The universe REALLY wants me to have a 6 and a 1!!

message 16: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Sweet! I got two 4's! Now time to pick up some of those books that I have been looking at for a while now.

message 17: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Delicious Dee - Yes. 4.1+ rating but the real intent was a popular, hype book.

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7513 comments I asked because the book i'm thinking about reading is book 5 in a series, has a rating a 4.26, but if you read all the reviews, it is when people start to dislike the direction the series is heading and since I have loved the other ones, I wanted ot see if I felt the same...what do you think?

Tanja wrote: "Delicious Dee - Yes. 4.1+ rating but the real intent was a popular, hype book."

message 19: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Delicious Dee -- that's fine. What's the book name? If it's on book 5 of a series, it's bound to be popular overall :)

message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7513 comments its Lover Unbound from the black dagger brotherhood...its where she started to switch from the paranormal romance to more of a urban fantasy type

message 21: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Delicious -- Go ahead! ^.^

message 22: by Liz (new)

Liz For #1, I wanted to double check if Inkheart or Graceling would work.

message 23: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Liz - Sure on either or. They are fantasy books :)

message 24: by Leigh Ann (new)

Leigh Ann (leighannflyingonsilverwings) Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "its Lover Unbound from the black dagger brotherhood...its where she started to switch from the paranormal romance to more of a urban fantasy type"

This one was my least favorite of the series, but still a solid 4 stars for me. The next books get even better so DEFINATELY continue through the series!

message 25: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I am trying to fit some series in and think I will do Night World, No. 2: Dark Angel; The Chosen; Soulmate and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest for my 2 4's rolled. These work right?

message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7513 comments nice thanks!! i'm using this and then book 6 for the mother named challenge...I mean, hello, Cormina!
]
Leigh Ann wrote: "Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "its Lover Unbound from the black dagger brotherhood...its where she started to switch from the paranormal romance to more of a urban fantasy type"
..."

message 27: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) For those who rolled fours (Don't Eat the Yellow Snow), is there a way to find the highest ranked books on goodreads? I've been clicking through lists and shelves and still haven't found a good way to find a list of 4 stars and up.

message 28: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15613 comments Mod
Mrs.soule wrote: "For those who rolled fours (Don't Eat the Yellow Snow), is there a way to find the highest ranked books on goodreads? I've been clicking through lists and shelves and still haven't found a good wa..."

I don't know about that, but one thing you could do is pull up your TBR list and rank it by ratings. At least that way you could see whether any books you already thought about reading were rated over 4.1.

message 29: by Megan (last edited Aug 22, 2010 08:27AM) (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Mrs.soule wrote: "For those who rolled fours (Don't Eat the Yellow Snow), is there a way to find the highest ranked books on goodreads? I've been clicking through lists and shelves and still haven't found a good wa..."

Yeah. When I found books for the suggested titles, I first sorted all my books to find ones that had the right average rating--you'd want to use the TBR, like Sandy suggested. After that, it's really just looking for a list of books you wouldn't mind reading and digging for what will work. It's a little time-consuming, but if you've got an idea of what you'd like to read, that can help.

Edit: Also, you can go to the TBR of one of your friends, hit "list" at the top (next to "main"), and sort their books by average rating. I just did that for your list, and you've got quite a few highly-ranked books on your TBR. You should be able to find something :3

message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7513 comments you can also look at popular books...go to friends, and then click on popular books...it will list the books that they have on their shelves and rating is included

message 31: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Mrs.soule -- Click on my books, then your TBR shelf. Click on MAIN (it's on the line next to view, list, reviews, covers, etc). Then you'll see the avg. rating. It only needs to be 4.1+.

Or as Delicious Dee suggested, try checking out: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1....

You'll see small avg. rating beneath each book.

Meghan -- Both books work for roll 4. Hope you like Hornest's Nest!

message 32: by Leigh Ann (new)

Leigh Ann (leighannflyingonsilverwings) Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "nice thanks!! i'm using this and then book 6 for the mother named challenge...I mean, hello, Cormina!
]
Leigh Ann wrote: "Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "its Lover Unbound from ..."

Lover Mine was my absolute favorite! I just love John Matthew. Since he hooks up with Xhex it would work for the name task too.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I got a 3 and a 4...I think I'll read Hunted by P.C. and Kristin Cast and When Twilight Burns (Gardella Vampire Chronicles, #4, rating 4,24)

message 34: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Italian Bookaholic wrote: "I got a 3 and a 4...I think I'll read Hunted by P.C. and Kristin Cast and When Twilight Burns (Gardella Vampire Chronicles, #4, rating 4,24)"

I keep buying the P. C. and Kristin Cast books, but I haven't read any of them since...the fifth one, maybe? They release a new one every six months, but I read so many other things in the meantime that I can't remember what exactly happened, so I have to reread them each time a new one comes out if I want to keep up. With that in mind, I'm stockpiling new books. I figure that when I have ten total I'll be all set to read them over *GRIN*

message 35: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7513 comments i'm not read those PC Cast ones, but I have read some of the Goddess Summoning series which isn't too bad

message 36: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Italian -- Cool! And the PC Cast book should be pretty good. I still have her other series on my shelf.

message 37: by Carly (new)

Carly | 251 comments Are the Charlie Bone books considered fantasy? Midnight for Charlie Bone

And are the Sookie Sackhouse books considered fantasy as well? Dead Until Dark

Lucky me, I rolled two number 1s. I'm not sure if I mean that sarcasticaly or not.

message 38: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Carly wrote: "Are the Charlie Bone books considered fantasy? Midnight for Charlie Bone

Lucky me, I rolle..."

Both of these work--Charlie Bone is children's fantasy and the Sookie books have vampires, so they've got paranormal creatures in them!

message 39: by Carly (new)

Carly | 251 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "Carly wrote: "Are the Charlie Bone books considered fantasy? Midnight for Charlie Bone

Luc..."

Thanks!

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Where can I find books that fit task number 4?

message 41: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Sarah -- As mentioned in Message 31...

Click on the link - my books, then your TBR shelf. Click on MAIN (it's on the line next to view, list, reviews, covers, etc). Then you'll see the avg. rating. It only needs to be 4.1+.

Or as Delicious Dee suggested, try checking out: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1....

You'll see small avg. rating beneath each book.

message 42: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I got a 2 and 4... I just wanted to say for 2: I can't believe some of these words... People can't spell "an" or "him"? "money"? Really? MONEY?? This is just SAD, people! Stop depending so heavily on spell check for crying out loud!! Wow. Just wow.

message 43: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments We work hard for our MON-AY! So hard HON-AY!

message 44: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "I got a 2 and 4... I just wanted to say for 2: I can't believe some of these words... People can't spell "an" or "him"? "money"? Really? MONEY?? This is just SAD, people! Stop depending so he..."

Actually, it's a really old list according to the site. They took the most common misspellings from 3-8th graders, too, so I could understand some of those words causing trouble with the younger kids. "An" was probably because they said "a hour" or "a orange" instead of "an hour/orange." The homophones and then/than were probably grammatical errors rather than spelling ones.

Sometimes dialects cause trouble, too. One of my best friends grew up in North Dakota, and she missed the word "home" by spelling it "holme," since they said their "o"s as "ol"s.

But I agree--some of those words seem kind of silly to miss.

message 45: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Welllllllll..... Okay, I suppose I'll cut the Midwestern 3rd graders some slack, but the 8th graders? I guess spell check WASN'T the problem 50 years ago, though... Hrrrmmm.... Still, it's pretty sad! But BOY, do I have some great book options! ;)

message 46: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "Welllllllll..... Okay, I suppose I'll cut the Midwestern 3rd graders some slack, but the 8th graders? I guess spell check WASN'T the problem 50 years ago, though... Hrrrmmm.... Still, it's pretty ..."

See? It all works out in the end! ^_^

message 47: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I think for my 4, I'm going to finally read either Looking for Alaska or The Princess Bride... or maybe Finnikin of the Rock...

message 48: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10780 comments Mod
Tanja wrote: "We work hard for our MON-AY! So hard HON-AY!"

Ear worm, arrgghhh! ;o)

message 49: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments *snickers evily at Kristi*

SARAH <3 do PRINCESS BRIDE! I try to re-read it once every year to every other year.

message 50: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 680 comments Tanja wrote: "*snickers evily at Kristi*

SARAH <3 do PRINCESS BRIDE! I try to re-read it once every year to every other year."

I'm reading Princess bride for the first time now and am loving it. The movie was great too!

« previous 1 3