Delirity discussion

Author M > Twilight - S. Meyer

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer New Moon (Twilight, #2) by Stephenie Meyer Eclipse (Twilight, #3) by Stephenie Meyer Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4) by Stephenie Meyer

Other books:
Midnight Sun (Twilight, #5) by Stephenie Meyer The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner An Eclipse Novella by Stephenie Meyer

message 2: by Heather (new)

I can't believe I haven't made this thread yet.

message 3: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Aug 20, 2010 02:59PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments I've read the first four and Midnight Sun the rough draft. Just haven't had the desire to order Bree Tanner for some reason, although I tried reading a couple chapters when it was available for free online.

I still give this series a 4 star because it was one of my first experiences with PNR. Had I read it after reading everything that I have over the past few months, I'd probably rate it closer to a 3 star now. Meyer is a great storyteller, but not so great of a writer. She stepped up her game a bit with The Host, even though that book has a few dialog errors that are easy to catch.

Even though I'm not much for the hype over this series anymore, it will always have a special place in my heart for getting me interested in PNR and UF, especially from the YA standpoint.

message 4: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I liked Twilight the most and then I felt like it went downhill. I am still hoping that Midnight Sun eventually comes out.

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner has never interested me. I might read it in a couple of years. . .but I doubt it. I'm not very interested in Bree and don't think I'd care for her story.

message 5: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I like these, but wish the hype out them would die down.

message 6: by Sherri (last edited Aug 20, 2010 04:34PM) (new)

Sherri (sherrij2003) I liked Twilight but hated New Moon (I'm sorry but depressed Bella for half the book was a little boring...) then I thought it picked up with Eclipse and I loved Breaking Dawn (and I really hope they get the honey moon scene right b/c I think when she wakes up with the feathers would be hilarious to watch). I have not read the Bree Tanner book but plan to one day (maybe when I reread the series) and I read part of Midnight Sun.

message 7: by Heather (new)

With Twilight you still had all of those unanswered questions. You thought you knew what he was, but you weren't sure and that made it better. Eclipse was the best written in my opinion. New Moon wasn't horrible. It just wasn't necessarily written for entertainment. I still don't love it, but it's grown on me as I reflect back on it. Breaking Dawn was weird. The ending... well, lets just say I expected something bigger. It fizzled a bit. The feathers were funny though.
I really liked what I've read of Midnight Sun. Obviously, it's a little redundant, but I liked getting to learn things from a different perspective.

This series is one of those guilty pleasures for me. I love it even though there are much better books out there. However, it was my first paranormal book so it kind of holds a place in my heart for getting me away from reading text books for fun.

message 8: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I didn't really think Twilight had that many unanswered questions. Before we read it we already know that Edward is a vampire and that Bella and him will fall in love. I actually thought that it was just a novel when I first read it. I didn't think that there would be a sequel. I know that the whole Victoria thing is still left loose, but I wasn't all that curious about what would happen to her.

message 9: by Heather (new)

I didn't know what was going to happen. I was just told to read it by my students so many times that I finally caved. I told them if they could all get C's or higher on their next test I'd read the series. The girls got excited because they wanted me to be able to talk Twilight with them, but they boys just saw how big the books were and thought they liked the idea of forcing me into homework. Too bad they didn't know how fast I read. =) Suckers. One kid got a D, but normally he got a 30% on tests so that was a vast improvement. Everyone else did well so I read them over the weekend.

message 10: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Oh, I read the back cover and knew from that what to expect.
Ahaha, that sounds like me and my dentist (she's more of a helper of the dentist, but I spend a lot of time with her at the office since she does the routine cleaning and all). I always tell her to read certain books and then in return I'll keep my teeth nice and healthy. :D I've gotten her to read the Twilight books and I'm working on the Hunger Games now.

message 11: by Heather (new)

Haha. I knew their were vamps, but I didn't know that PNR existed. I thought all vamps had to be scary and expected it to be more horror. I didn't want to read it because I thought I'd be too chicken to read it. Go figure. I didn't expect there to be nice vampires, sexy vampires, or anything else out there really. Plus, I didn't read the back. I try not to, but I generally think the summaries sound cheesy and I put down good books.

message 12: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Wow Heather, you didn't know there were sexy vamps out there?! Where were you hiding, lol. I did know sexy vamps existed, when I was 10 I was reading Anne Rice and loving the Lost Boys. Then with being a huge Buffy and Angel fan, the romantic vamp thing was something I loved. I didn't know what Twilight was about when I read it though. I was just told to read it so I did.

I really liked the Twilight series, even Breaking Dawn. I do admit to cringing a lot while reading it in respect to the writing itself. I know SM wasn't a writer by career, but what were her editors doing to get paid? Even with the writing flaws, the story (and Edward) sucked me in. I want to revamp the series to see how I feel about it after a couple years of not reading it.

message 13: by Heather (new)

I was hiding in text books. Plus, Dracula was amazingly boring for me. Just not a big fan of the that time period in literature in general though...

message 14: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I read all the books. I enjoyed them at the time, but now, I'm like Darcy. Tired of all the hype.

message 15: by Heather (new)

I'm tired of the teams. I wish they never started the Aniston verses Jolie thing because now everyone has to take sides. They just can't like the characters.

message 16: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I don't even know how those teams started. I remembered disliking Jacob so I just became Team Edward. For me that started before Twillight became BIG and all the merchandise came out. I was just automatically Team Edward from the start. I do like Jacob's character, but he annoyed me a lot in the beginning and when he molested Bella.

message 17: by Heather (new)

I think it's funny that we love it when the guy finally grabs the girl and just kisses her in almost every other book, but when Jacob did it we all went "oh no!" Normally we're excited that the guy finally did it.

message 18: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I didn't care that Jacob kissed Bella. The only thing that made me really dislike him was how manipulating he was.

***SPOILER*** in case somebody hasn't read Eclipse (or seen the movie).

He basically said he was going to go off and die to try and make Bella have a reason to kiss him. He knew she'd do anything to try and get him to stay. She loved him and didn't want him to get hurt. It just really annoyed me. I always had to remind myself how young he was though. I think that's what bugged me the most, his immaturity.

message 19: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Heather, with Jacob it was different because Bella was still in love with Edward. Usually in books I root for that type of guy when I know that deep down the girl really wants him to do it and when I really love the guy. I didn't feel like that happened in the books.

and Carrie, I agree that he was really manipulative.

message 20: by Heather (last edited Aug 22, 2010 09:42PM) (new)

Ya, I know. I have a friend that is always in Jacob's shoes. The girl wants him to be close, but there's always someone else who they love. He couldn't watch the third movie because New Moon and hit too close to home for him. Eclipse would have been even harder.

message 21: by Christy (new)

Christy Sloat (kssmommy) | 16 comments I agree with carrie. Jacob was a real baby. Edward just wants Bella to be happy no matter her choice

message 22: by Lani (new)

Lani (crahfty) Jasmine ☮ ♡ ♔ wrote: "The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner has never interested me. I might read it in a couple of years. . .but I doubt it. I'm not very interested in Bree and don't think I'd care for her story.

That's exactly how I feel about it. There were so many other characters that would have interested me, but not Bree.

message 23: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments ^^ I felt the exact same way. Why would I want to read about Bree, I could have cared less about her. I did end up reading it though because a friend recommended it. I actually really liked it and felt bad that it had to end the way it did.

message 24: by Heather (new)

She said she didn't want to write anymore about them, but Bree's had a story that felt like it needed to be told. I think she wrote it for her and her sister rather than to be published. Also, because she's someone you have absolutely no background story on. That being said, I was still indifferent to her, making it harder to get into the book. I think Carlisle would make a good story.

message 25: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments Carlisle's life would make an interesting story.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments Carlisle back when he was hanging with the Volturi.

message 27: by Heather (new)

I don't think there would be too many surprising things to learn about him and I'm sure it would be full of the internal struggle of who verses what he is and all that. It might be a little depressing, but through his story you could learn more of the others as well.

message 28: by Carri (new)

Carri (carrifedor) | 145 comments OOOHHHH...Carlisle would make a good story.
I freakin' loved Twilight. Once I started, it was addictive. I would stay up way too late and get up way too early to read. It really became an obsession.

message 29: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (sherrij2003) I heard she wrote the Bree story b/c the producers of Eclipse didn't know how the story panned out and they needed it for the movie.

message 30: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B | 292 comments I really enjoyed all of the books! Even the one about Bree. It was nice to see the harder part of vampire life.

Twilight was the second set of vampire books I had ever read (the first being the Circle Trilogy by Nora Roberts) and I didn't really know the full popularity of vampires! Twilight will always hold a secret little place in my heart as being one of the first series of books I truly fell in love with.

I have read so many great things since Twilight but I owe the saga a special tribute!

message 31: by Heather (new)

Has anyone else heard rumors that the next movie will be in 3D?

message 32: by Carri (new)

Carri (carrifedor) | 145 comments Gosh, I hope not.

message 33: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I haven't been keeping up with any of the movie stuff. I wouldn't doubt it though. I heard Lucas wants to bring SW back out in 3D.

message 34: by Brandee (new)

Brandee | 80 comments God I really really hope that the next movie is not in 3D...Just make the movie.....I think it will be a bust if they do it in 3D

message 35: by Carri (new)

Carri (carrifedor) | 145 comments I don't get the whole 3d thing. If it is a good movie, I really don't need all the extra crap to make me happy.

message 36: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I'm all for 3d if it's that kind of movie. I enjoyed seeing Order of the Phoenix at IMAX in 3D, and would like to see Deathly Hallows the same. Avatar was cool in 3D as well. But I don't think any Twilight movie should be 3D. It just seems wrong.

message 37: by Heather (new)

Twilight doesn't seem like it'd be good in 3D. It works for Potter because of the magic issue, but what's supposed to jump out at me in 3D during Breaking Dawn Part 1? The bed?

message 38: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments ROFL! Ok, now I want it in 3d! Nekkid Edward coming out at me I can handle.

message 39: by Heather (new)

Haha! I don't want to see that much of Pattinson! Eek. Bad thought... baby born in 3D! Rumors are they're going to be less graphic with that, but still... I'd never have kids after seeing a birthing in 3D. I'm terrified enough.

message 40: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I was thinking about that too Heather! I didn't even think they were going to make a BD movies, because the scene with the baby would be to hard. . .

I'm interested to see what the "sex scene" in BD, the movie, will be like. The one in BD was laughable. . .my cousin didn't even know they had sex until Bella was pregnant. ahahha, =X.

message 41: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Why did she think Edward broke the headboard and Bella was covered in bruises? I mean they can't really show it since it's a YA book (ok, I know some YA books do, but a lot of young kids read these), but I thought it was pretty obvious.

message 42: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I have no idea. She might have been joking about the fact that they barley say anything about it. I thought it was pretty obvious, but even though it's a YA book but for some reason I still expected a bit more. I've read kissing scenes in YA books that are way more passionate. Though I could just be saying that because I hate BD with passion and am just nitpicking.

message 43: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I have read a lot of adult books where the kissing/making out scenes are better than the sex (and they show everything). What can I say, I'm a foreplay girl. lol.

message 44: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I can't believe I just said that.

message 45: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments ahahahahahahahahah. Oh Carrie, :D.

message 46: by Carri (new)

Carri (carrifedor) | 145 comments Lol! That book did make me angry cause the other books at least had great kissing scenes, BD totally skipped that part and faded to black....

message 47: by Heather (new)

Haha! Carrie. I'm the 5 year old girl. Beat him up and if he still hangs around after a while, then fall for him.

Jasmine- She probably just thought Edward beat her. I'm fairly certain it'll be a lot like the bed scene in Eclipse.

message 48: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I didn't see Eclipse yet, lol.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments Wow! The dvd release of Eclipse isn't until Dec 4.

message 50: by Heather (new)

That's normal. 4 months is normal except for select summer movies they try and release for the Christmas rush. They're saving Eclipse for the holidays to make more money.

« previous 1