Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Do you check in everyplace you go?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Aug 20, 2010 11:27AM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments So Facebook is getting in on this with their new Places program, and that's just Foursquare by another name.

Foursquare lets people announce where they are - "Nicky just checked in at Patrick's" - and compete for rewards and coupons based on attendance. The person who visits a location the most is given the title of "mayor"; at least at our bar that entitles him or her to discounts.

Do any of you do this? I don't, because I'm paranoid and old-fashioned. For starters, basically scammers and stalkers and thieves can see exactly where you are and how far you are from home. But I have lots of friends who do it, and I'm always amazed to see how many places some of them hit in one evening.

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments that is why it is nice when i go by myself on long motorcycle rides in the country often. no cell phone. no GPS tagging (at least i don't think) and then i am just the Mayor Of Cruise City

message 3: by Barb (new)

Barb This sounds like something I would not do.
I don't really believe in putting so much information about yourself out there for the world to see, especially such specific details about where you are or will be.
Other than the privacy / security issues that might arise ... I just can't be bothered to update status and "check in" every 5 minutes. Lazy, I am.

message 4: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments no! I see people doing foursquare on facebook and it creeps me out. Plus it's never like "Jason just checked in at the Parole office" or "Suzie just checked in at the Free STD clinic" or anything interesting. it's always "Jane checked in at work. Connie checked in at Lifetime Fitness." zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments No,I wouldn't do that. But at least now I know why other people do. I'd been seeing that and just wondering why people felt compelled to say so.

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments My sister checks in with Foursquare.

message 7: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments I have no idea what you people are talking about. Possibly I am checked in on Goodreads this minute?

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments All I know about it is that I'll see a facebook status every now and then that says "(name)just checked in @ starbucks," or whatever.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Yeah, that's it, Rebecca.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) That just feels too big brother to me.

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I've never heard of that foursquare thing...but I don't think I'd check in, no...

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments The people who I've seen using it use it either a)to get discounts or b)to get people to come hang out wherever they are.
It seems big brotherish to me too.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (last edited Aug 20, 2010 01:52PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I have a program on my phone called "runkeeper"...I was just mentioning to someone on facebook. I start the program, put the phone in my pocket, and GPS tracks me while I run. When I hit "stop" the program sends me an instant summary of distance, average speed per mile, elevation changes, and a map of everywhere I ran. That's cool, from a workout perspective, but, yes, if I can get that program for free for my phone, I imagine tracking me isn't too difficult.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments My guitarist and bassist both have iPhones, and both have an app that allows you to see where the other person is (if both have it on).
It has been both handy and nervewracking to have that ability when we're going to a local show in separate cars (I much prefer tours where I have them all corraled in one van).

"What do you mean you're on your way? We're supposed to be loading in, and Chris's phone says that you're still at your house. Liar! Get down here!"

message 15: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24075 comments Mod
Ugh, no. The idea skeeves me. I'm not even on Facebook. If someone needs to know where I am, I'll call them. I don't even know if my cellphone has GPS. It's not terribly fancy.

message 16: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I don't use foursquare or anything similar. It just hasn't grabbed my interest, but then I said the same thing about twitter for the longest time and now I use it multiple times daily.

message 17: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) no, however (and there is always a however in life) I saw a cool app in an outdoor magazine for hikers, bikers etc that would link to your home computer so your family knows where you are. Handy for locating someone who has had an injury/accident while hiking or biking (Kevin and Phil) or even running (RA) I guess since I do those things in the mountains and there always seems to be a story about someone who has fallen, broken their leg, and has to be found and rescued, it seems like a handy app to have.

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, I'm on foursquare now. But I'm not sure why. Well, I guess it's kind of fun to check in somewhere sometimes on facebook. I'm also slightly paranoid that when I check in somewhere that people will know I'm not home and rob my house.

message 19: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jul 17, 2011 06:44PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Although "rob my house" isn't the right phrase, correct? Is robbery different than thievery? Robbery is more face to face, right?

message 20: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Burgle is the word. Robbery is committed upon a person.

message 21: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i think it's ok to scream "i's been robbed" anytime you think some of your stuff is missing in any circumstance

message 22: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I don't like the word burgle. What else you got?

message 23: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments burgle sounds like something you should pay for in thailand

message 24: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

break in, intrude, barge in, breach, break and enter, burglarize, burst in, butt in, interfere, interject, interrupt, intervene, invade, meddle, raid, rob, steal, trespass

message 25: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "burgle sounds like something you should pay for in thailand"

Oh, I miss you when you're gone, Kevin...

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments nick, jack, patty whack, give the dog a bone

message 27: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Trespass. Let's go wtih that one. Thank you, LG>

message 28: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments "i's been trespassed"

message 29: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "burgle sounds like something you should pay for in thailand"
i think that is another thread entirely....

message 30: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments new white linen suit - $400, straw hat - $80, fake rolex - $50, hand rolled cigar - $8. getting burgled in thailand - priceless

message 31: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) No, nada, not likely, never, nfw

message 32: by Lori (new)

Lori I don't see why people feel a need to "share" every single minute of their life, between twitter and FB, sheesh. I could try to think of the socio-psychological ramifications, but I'm too tired.

That's not a slur of RA, I suppose sometimes this foursquare would be cool if your friends saw it and headed over to hang out.

message 33: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I never thought of that. I've never asked anyone to hang out via Foursquare. But my brother-in-law down Chicago throws out lunch invitations to his facebook friends every couple of weeks and gets mad when no one shows. Heh.

message 34: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments I don’t know what Foursquare is... but I occasionally ‘check-in’ on f/book... when it’s somewhere funny. Like Canada, or apparently on my block there’s a business called ‘Make Your Own Cheese!”. There doesn’t appear to be anything but private homes on my block.