Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > recommendations - what should I read next?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 130 comments I just finished Blue Diablo (Corine Solomon, #1) by Ann Aguirre and Hell Fire (Corine Solomon, #2) by Ann Aguirre
I like the tone but I thought the last one was meh... more horror than urban fantasy.
I'm trying to decide what to read next.
I'm looking at Night Life (Nocturne City, #1) by Caitlin Kittredge or maybe A Rush of Wings (The Maker's Song, #1) by Adrian Phoenix

My favorite authors are
Charlaine Harris
Chloe Neill
Patricia Briggs
Laurell K. Hamilton

What do y'all think?

Feel free to suggest other authors...

message 2: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments I would go with Night Life, I liked that one better than A Rush of Wings.

message 3: by Yodamom (new)

Yodamom Irene wrote: "I just finished Blue Diablo (Corine Solomon, #1) by Ann Aguirre and Hell Fire (Corine Solomon, #2) by Ann Aguirre
I like the tone but I thought the last one was meh... more horror than urban fantasy.
I'm trying to decide what t..."

I have not read Night Life But I love Adrian Phoenix's Rush of Wings.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 253 comments I liked both books... A Rush of Wings was darker and a longer read than Nightlife. I guess it would depend on if you want to read more about vampires (A Rush of Wings) or werewolves (Nightlife).

message 5: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments I cannot comment on Nightlife as I have never read it but I simply adored Rush of Wings.

I think the worst thing about this book was the cover (I mean how cheesy is her outfit?) but the book has a really dark tone bordering on sadistic in some ways. AP just does an awesome job drawing you into the characters a bonus for me was the police drama and the conspiracies.

message 6: by Shannon (last edited Aug 24, 2010 04:37AM) (new)

Shannon C. We like the same authors. Have you tried the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews? I love that series also. The first book was very good, but the later books were all great. Excellent world building, high action/suspense, great characters, a little romance.

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) by Ilona Andrews Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) by Ilona Andrews Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4) by Ilona Andrews

How about the new Jane True series by Nicole Peeler? The series reminds me in style to the SOOKIE SACKHOUSE series--quirky, fun, interesting characters and a fast moving urban fantasy plotine. Good mix of adventure, suspense, mystery and romance. Great world builing! I love the range of the types of characters, e.g. gnomes, vampires, kelpies, shapechangers, goblins, succubus, alfar, brownies and more. I gave book one Tempest Rising a solid four stars, and thought the second installment was even better.

And finally have you read the Dorina Basarab Dhampir series by Karen Chance? Chance wrote the Cassandra Palmer series, which I thought was very good but not great. The new Dorina series took it up a notch. It is high action/suspense, with a great kick b*tt character. The fast paced storyline had lots of twists and turns. Don't miss the anthology in On the Prowl, which should be read between Midnight's Daughter and Death's Mistress--it's a great little read and a key part of the storyline.

message 7: by Clorinda (new)

Clorinda | 31 comments Can I also reccomend the Chloe Neill Chicagoland Vampires. I just discovered them and read all three in a week. Chomping at the bit for something new. I did read Nightlife and I really liked it. Luna is a very good character.

message 8: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I will second the suggestion for Ilona Andrews series if you haven't already read it.

Also, if you are picking between A Rush of Wings and Nightlife, I would go with Nightlife. It's a pretty dark uf book. I think I was only one of a few who didn't like the other book by Phoenix. It just didn't do anything for me. Good luck!!

message 9: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) I would also recommend On the Edge by Ilona Andrews. Only one book out so not quite a series yet, but I liked it a lot.

A Rush of Wings sounds interesting, might have to put that in the TBR pile.

message 10: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 130 comments Well I read Night Life (Nocturne City, #1) by Caitlin Kittredge Pure Blood (Nocturne City, #2) by Caitlin Kittredge Second Skin (Nocturne City, #3) by Caitlin Kittredge and Witch Craft (Nocturne City, #4) by Caitlin Kittredge
I'm in the middle of Daemon's Mark (Nocturne City, #5) by Caitlin Kittredge

which is the last book in the series so far.
Since it's the beginning of the month, there are several group reads that will keep me busy for a bit.