Writers and Readers discussion

Reading Room > What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 1777 comments Mod
Chat about the latest, great book you read or are reading.

message 2: by Lori (new)

Lori Clark (clarklori) I am reading The Vampire Diaries: The Struggle right now. There are differences between the books and the show and I'm not sure what I think about that... But the books are pretty good. LJ Smith's writing is pretty good. :)

message 3: by A.F. (new)

Lorielle wrote: "I am reading The Vampire Diaries: The Struggle right now. There are differences between the books and the show and I'm not sure what I think about that... But the books are pretty good. LJ Smith's ..."

I've heard good reviews about the first Vampire Diaries book series, but they were less kind about the later books. I do like the TV show.

message 4: by Iscela (last edited Aug 21, 2010 06:23PM) (new)

Iscela (iscelapineda) I just read Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs which was awesome and I'm currently reading Perfect Chemistry by Simon Elkeles which has me hooked. Both authors writing is amazing :].

message 5: by A.F. (new)

I'm currently reading A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin and I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on the books or the TV show adaptation.

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin

message 6: by Ivan (new)

Ivan Torres | 5 comments Book 1 and season 1 have been very close together, obviously some dialogues are cut short on the series. Both have been really good for me, there are always things you can break away from any story, but if you truly immerse in the world he created you will find it exciting and full of surprising twists. Books should always be a first, but the T.V. series is just as good.

message 7: by A.F. (new)

Ivan wrote: "Book 1 and season 1 have been very close together, obviously some dialogues are cut short on the series. Both have been really good for me, there are always things you can break away from any story..."

I started watching the TV series first, before I began reading the first book (somehow the book series eluded me until now) and I'm glad they're sticking relatively close to the storyline.

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara Migers | 2 comments Hi,
I'm currently reading "He liked Tuesdays best" by Mieczyslaw Mokrzycki and Brygida Grysiak.
It is a great and unique book, which allows readers to explore unknown fact about the normal, everyday life of Pope John Paul II.

I highly recommend it!

You can find more about this book at http://www.jp2books.com/

message 9: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 98 comments There are three that I am currently getting ready to read:

Love in the Time of Dinosaurs Love in the Time of Dinosaurs by Kirsten Alene

Bucket of Face Bucket of Face by Eric Hendrixson

and Felix and the Sacred Thor Felix and the Sacred Thor by James Steele

I'm really excited about this group of authors. If you have never read bizarro before, this is the perfect way to get into it! :)

message 10: by Lena (new)

Lena | 24 comments glad to see i'm not the only one who reads more than one book at once. here's what's on my plate:
Dale Ibitz:Fire in the Blood

The Twilight parody Nightlight: A Parody

for my book club: The Haunting of Hill House

@Amy--dumb question, but what the heck is bizarro?

message 11: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 98 comments Bizarro is basically books about the strange and weird. If you like to read about things that are completely off the wall and whacky, then this would be a good genre to check out. Many have "adult" situations in them, some of them are just strange, and many are gross.

Felix and the Scared Thor, for instance is about a man who is out to save the human race with a giant dildo as his weapon. As you can see...Strange...odd...interesting... :)

message 12: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 98 comments And you will have to let me know what you think about the Twilight parody, I have been wanting to read that one!

message 13: by Lena (new)

Lena | 24 comments It's funny but...after a while, it gets old. Great humor but every line is a one-liner. So there's not really a plot of a story or anything, it just basically follows the Twilight plot. it's funny in small doses!

I may skip the bizarro--gross sex stuff isn't really my thing!

message 14: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 98 comments One that you may want to check out to see if you are into it is a book called Muscle Memory. It's about a weird event that switches people into the body of the person they were nearest to at the moment the event happened. So many husbands and wives were switched. It was amusing to see how each of the people reacted to suddenly being in the body of the opposite sex! :)

message 15: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) that does sound amusing!!

message 16: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) Right now I am reading a lot of review books....the next book on my personal to read list is:
Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins

message 17: by A.F. (new)

Amy wrote: "One that you may want to check out to see if you are into it is a book called Muscle Memory. It's about a weird event that switches people into the body of the person they were nearest to at the m..."

Amy, I recently read a great interview with the author of Muscle Memory: http://www.examiner.com/book-in-south-bend/meet-south-bend-s-steve-lowe-bizarro-fiction-author

message 18: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 98 comments Steve Lowe is a really great guy, he and the other NBAS authors have a group here on GoodReads, if anyone is interested in Bizarro at all, this is a great group of authors to support.

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/4...

There is also a fun group that started up called the bizarro brigade. It's all about helping to promote bizarro books and getting word out about the emerging genre. I am currently a copy editor for bizarro central, and I urge you all to check them out! :)

message 19: by Anagha Uppal (new)

Anagha Uppal I just got done with Enclave by Ann Aguirre, which was easily the best book I've read this year (reminds me of The Hunger Games!!). I'm currently reading Zombies Don't Cry, and I have to say I can't wait to get it over with. There is no real plot, and maybe it's just me, but the writing style drives me nuts. It's as if the author was writing a blog (an informal one at that). Don't mean to bash the book but definitely not my type. I may be driven away from paranormal romance for good.

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura Johnson (lauratjohnson) | 22 comments I am currently reading The White Queen by Philippa Gregory. Loving it so far!!

message 21: by Annabell (new)

Annabell (writingfien) | 4 comments Hex Hall books by Rachel Hawkings are really entertaining books. The first is entitled Hex Hall and I just finished the second one, Demonglass, a few days ago.

message 22: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Green (stacygreen) | 9 comments I just finished Deeper Than The Dead by Tami Hoag. It's about a nasty serial killer in the early 80s, at the dawn of criminal profiling and modern forensics. The head profiler is semi-based on John Douglas, and Hoag did a great job with the time period.

message 23: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 46 comments Tomorrow, I will currently be reading (ah, I like the way that sentence sounds anyway!) "Dance with Dragons" by George R.R. Martin.

It's been ten years since I have read a Tyrion POV, it better be a fandamtastic book after this wait.

Splitter

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "There are three that I am currently getting ready to read:

Love in the Time of Dinosaurs Love in the Time of Dinosaurs by Kirsten Alene

Bucket of Face [bookcover:..."

I haven't read much bizarro but I would like to given your description. How do you like these so far? Do you have one bizarro book you would recommend over others to a newbie bizarro reader? Thanks!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading Hunger Games and Lowboy right now but have Sense and Sensibility and Game of Thrones on the TBR next.

message 26: by Hayley (new)

Hayley (applesticker) | 2 comments I'm curently reading Reckless by Cornelia Funke, and loving it!! It's set in an alternative unvierse (on the other side of the mirror) where fairytales are real and magic is everywhere.

I'm only about 1/4 of the way through as I'm in the middle of exams/essay writing for uni at the moment (which I shoult be doing right now, but I'm procrastinating on Goodreads.. :P), but I can't wait to be done with all of that so I can finish it! :)

message 27: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 42 comments I'm currently reading Shifting Gears (The Rider Series) by Shawn Kirsten Maravel and The One That I Want by Jennifer Echols :)

message 28: by Jason (new)

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 69 comments Hey Everyone,

I'm currently reading The Town and the Cityand The Collected Poems. It's my first time reading The Town and The City and my second time going through the Wallace Stevens collection.

-Jason

message 29: by Ann (new)

Ann Lee (goodreadscomannlee) | 39 comments I have just finished reading Fire in the BloodFire in the Blood

message 30: by B.J. (new)

B.J. Kurtz | 5 comments I am currently reading two books...it's summer and I'm a teacher so I have a lot of spare time. :) The first is Lessons from a Lifetime of Writing: A Novelist Looks at His Craft. The second is Blood Rites.

message 31: by Judith (new)

Judith Starkston | 18 comments I just finished a page-turner, Julie Kramer's Shunning Sarah. If you're interested in the Amish or just want a good thriller, I highly recommend this one. My review

message 32: by Christine (new)

Christine Rice (christine_rice) | 82 comments Hayley wrote: "I'm curently reading Reckless by Cornelia Funke, and loving it!! It's set in an alternative unvierse (on the other side of the mirror) where fairytales are real and magic is everywhere.

I'm only ..."

Reckless sounds like a really great book that I would love to read! Unfortunately, I'm booked up until December with books to review.

message 33: by Christine (new)

Christine Rice (christine_rice) | 82 comments B.J. wrote: "I am currently reading two books...it's summer and I'm a teacher so I have a lot of spare time. :) The first is Lessons from a Lifetime of Writing: A Novelist Looks at His Craft. The second is Bloo..."

I like reading books on writing too.

message 34: by Christine (new)

Christine Rice (christine_rice) | 82 comments I'm currently at the end of The Zul Enigma, an excellent action/sci-fi novel about the end of the world on 12/21/12. J M Leitch does a wonderful job with character development and is an excellent storyteller.

Shortly before, I was reading Pray and Hell by John Prescott. Both are paranormal books in a series about the Book of Revelation and the end of the world.

It seems like those type of books are popular with the end of the Mayan calendar approaching...

message 35: by Jason (new)

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 69 comments Christine wrote: "I'm currently at the end of The Zul Enigma, an excellent action/sci-fi novel about the end of the world on 12/21/12. J M Leitch does a wonderful job with character development and is an excellent ..."

The Zul Enigma sounds interesting. Just added it to my "To Read" list.

I'm currently reading The Pale King. This is my first time reading something by David Foster Wallace and the man's ability was otherworldly.

message 36: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (diankom) I'm still trying to finish Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs. It's a great book, but it's a lot to digest, so I try to read a little before bed each night.

message 37: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) As a writer/reader, I'm right now in discovery of Robert Browning, for lessons in head-speech, how people talk to themselves. I love to write in voices--as heavily as possible--and he seems to be a master there. I'm quite new to him. I've set The Ring And The Book as a goal this year, but also browsing among his dramatic poems--those written in voices. Any Browning fans?

message 38: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) Just finished reading the 3rd book in the Katherine Katt series. The whole series is a hoot! I'm working on my review and trying to do it without spoilers. Next up is Heart of Steel--which I'm behind on reading for a Buddy Read. Should be good!

message 39: by Nicolas (new)

Nicolas Wilson | 7 comments Getting ready to start L K Jay's The Little Camera, right now.