Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Copyright problems

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meisam (last edited Aug 20, 2010 03:15AM) (new)

Meisam (mi-san) | 11 comments Many (most) of Persian Author pages in goodreads contain photo with unknown source or insufficient copyright information and others are obvious copyright violation!

[a few sample: [1], [2:], [3:], [4:], etc.]

They also contain copy/pasted biography of author from other websites (mostly wikipedia).
As GNU-GPL/CC-SA clearly states, the source and author of these documents MUST be mentioned and without this our usage is considered as copyright violation.

What should we do?

PS:If we want to obey goodreads TOS, then we have to remove all these information.

message 2: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Oh, that's not good! You're right, we can't display that information without attribution.

The change log for the author profile should show who made the changes -- you could message them directly and ask them to add attribution and copyright information, or to find a different photo that would be available for Goodreads use.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41655 comments Mod
In general, when I find an author photo that should not be up, I delete it and then message the librarian who put it up, reminding them of the rules for photos. (If they've only put up one or image or haven't made any edits in 6+ months, I skip messaging them and just add a Librarian's Note to the author.)

Bios that aren't sourced are easier, if you know the source -- just add it. And then message the culprit. ;)

Any librarians who refuse to comply after being warned/reminded should be reported via the "contact us" link on the help page. We will speak with them and/or de-librarian them (depending on the situation).

message 4: by Meisam (new)

Meisam (mi-san) | 11 comments Oooh.... A new hell of works to do....
Wish me more power and much more patience with these users (I know they will revert them as soon as they notice)

Thanks for your answers

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

If they are reverting them after you tell them not to, please do let us know via the "contact us" link.

Good luck!

message 6: by Meisam (last edited Aug 20, 2010 09:21AM) (new)

Meisam (mi-san) | 11 comments I'm sending them notes such as below (both in Persian and English). Is it sufficient? :
--------------

Dear Samineh
You have uploaded a photo of مصطفی مستور to goodreads in #2206433 edit to his author page which did not have a certain source.
According to goodreads' terms of service all uploaded materials should have permission for free distribution and their source must be provided.
Please do not upload such photos again.
Yours sincerely

PS: For more information on free image licenses take a look at wikimedia commons licensing policy. (which only accepts free content)

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Looks good to me! :)