Outlander Series discussion

The Books > Echo In The bone

Comments Showing 1-50 of 456 (456 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by AWomanReading (new)

AWomanReading Am I the only one having difficulty wading through Echo In The Bone? I pretty much plowed through all of her books but for some reason I keep losing interest! And I hate that because I have lol invested so much time in Jamie and Claire with all of the other novels.

The graphic novel looks pretty good. I've never been big on those but I just read The Imposter's Daughter by Laurie Sandell and it introduced me to the format.

Thanks!

http://awomanreading.wordpress.com (Check out my post The Appeal of the Ancient Scot)

message 2: by Sally (new)

Sally (larwos) | 30 comments I have to admit to just loving Echo. The reintroduction for characters and story lines from earlier books really thrilled me. I'm sorry it's being a bit of a chore for you and hope you can persevere and end up enjoying it.

message 3: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments A Woman Reading wrote: "Am I the only one having difficulty wading through Echo In The Bone? I pretty much plowed through all of her books but for some reason I keep losing interest! And I hate that because I have lol in..."

Sorry "Woman reading", I'm tempted to begin with "you must have been mistaken", i.e. with your opinion being the only one having problems with Echo! Several weeks ago there were arguments between readers who had and those who who hadn't. If I remember correctly the biggest nuisance were the many cliffhangers, followed by characters so far having been restricted to the LJG books. Claire's and Lord Johan's behaviour caused disapproval as well.

In the category "I'm new" in message no.65 I put down my opinion as an answer and obviously did it much too detailed. I'm still wondering wether I am the only one having problems with the date discrepancies or their solution, respectively. Did you finish Echo yet or are you about to give up? If you plowed through till the end, I would be very much interested what you think about this matter.

I recently started with the audio books and wonder wether I'd like Echo better there than in print.

message 4: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 141 comments I had trouble with Echo and was really not a fan of the book. My friend just read it, and I may have gone overboard with the prep for the ending (i.e. be prepared for major cliffhangers!!) so she was a little more prepared than I was, but she ended up really liking it.

I think it is one of those that you either really like or really don't like, at least the first time through it. I'm looking forward to giving it another shot once I've caught up on some other series I'm reading right now.

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (les2car) | 131 comments I really did not like Echo the first time through. However, I read the whole series again and after the second time reading it, I found that I really enjoyed it. I think the second time through I was a little more focused and was able to pick up on more things than the first time. I have also always liked the Lord John series and really enjoyed having some of those characters pop up in Echo.

message 6: by Judith (new)

Judith | 26 comments I had the same experience as Leslie, not sure I liked Echo after reading it. Then I listened to it--same book but hearing it made it come to life and held my interest more. The ending takes a little getting used to what with so many cliff-hangers. But it certainly makes you want the next book immediately. The excerpts for book 8 are intriguing and ease some of the frustration of Echo endings.

message 7: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 322 comments Sally wrote: "I have to admit to just loving Echo. The reintroduction for characters and story lines from earlier books really thrilled me. I'm sorry it's being a bit of a chore for you and hope you can persev..."

I agree with Sally, I just love having all the characters back in my life again. There were a few stories that I didn't enjoy as much but that's because I didn't read the Lord John books before hand.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan | 35 comments I finally finished this one - I was reading it sloooowly on purpose since it's the last one available.
I need to read through more responses - I was holding off for fear of spoilers - but was anyone else a little ...disappointed in Claire's reaction to John's Euturpe news? The focus switched almost immediately to John's reaction (which annoyed me) - and I would have expected him to be upset, yes, but I would have expected Claire to be so laid out that she couldn't function - for weeks! And weeks and weeks!
And the whole intimacy thing with John was...weird.

message 9: by Wendy F, biblioholic (last edited Nov 27, 2010 04:10PM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I said this in the other thread too. I loved it.

I loved reading more about William. I loved going through each storyline. I was bummed about the cliffhangers but I'm also excited too. I loved Ian and Rachel. I had a hard time with the political stuff but the same was true for me in DIA, too.

message 10: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Susan wrote: "I finally finished this one - I was reading it sloooowly on purpose since it's the last one available.
I need to read through more responses - I was holding off for fear of spoilers - but was any..."

If you want to -- now you can treat yourself with the book 8th excerpts. There are tread here and many links to it make sure you go to all of them and enjoy!

message 11: by Misfit (new)

Misfit A Woman Reading wrote: "Am I the only one having difficulty wading through Echo In The Bone? I pretty much plowed through all of her books but for some reason I keep losing interest! And I hate that because I have lol in..."

I was sorely disappointed in Echo as well. Too much of Lord John and his *people* for one. Could have used a good editor with a sharp paring knife IMHO.

message 12: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 187 comments It's great how we all have different reactions to DG's novels. I absolutely loved Echo. I wish there had been more Bree and Roger, though. I am so glad that Willie found out the truth of his parentage. I was really hoping that would happen!

I had no problem at all with Claire and Lord John getting drunk and doing the deed. What did bother me was that Claire accepted that Jamie was dead without question. Taking into consideration her character and how she has acted over the course of 7 novels, Claire would have waited until his death could be absolutely proved before believing it, right?? She was told there were no survivors, but given how many times Jamie has escaped the Grim Reaper, wouldn't Claire find a shred of hope that he had managed to somehow make it through? Claire is a verra smart lassie and I think she would have thought to herself (or hoped) that Jamie caught a different ship over to the states.

IMHO, her unquestioning acceptance of his death just seemed out of character.

Now I can't wait to find out what happens to Roger and William Buccleigh MacKenzie (where/when will they end up?) Also will Jem time travel on his own?? I hope Bree gives Rob Cameron what's coming to him. (OK, I hope she kicks his a$$!) And, I hope Bree and Willie meet again now that he knows the truth.

Loved Ian and Rachel!

To be continued!

message 13: by Fawn (new)

Fawn | 404 comments Ok, I just started EITB I am taking my time and only skimmed part of the comments as to not have too many spoilers. I have to say last night I was sobbing about
When Ian was talking to Mr. Bugs. I went to bed with puffy eyes and a stuffed up nose. I am sure hoping there are some "Happy" things in this book. I hate it when things aren't happily ever after. (such a sap I am)

message 14: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 187 comments There are happy times in Echo, but you will probably experience puffy eyes again too! Lots of cliffhangers in this one...

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments I don't know if she truely accepted it in her heart...for me reading it - it was like the initial shock hadn't worn off and then LJG got the word about her being nearly arrested and had to do something - it was her pragmatism that allowed her to do that while not knowing for sure...but she also had those 20 years when she thought jamie was dead, so maybe it was something she taught herself to cope with

Sandy wrote: "It's great how we all have different reactions to DG's novels. I absolutely loved Echo. I wish there had been more Bree and Roger, though. I am so glad that Willie found out the truth of his paren..."

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather Bailey | 132 comments ***SPOILER ALERT***
Hi All! Ok, I just read the part where Jamie, Claire, and Young Ian go back to Lallybroch. I just want to say that when they saw Old Ian for the first time, was probably only the second time I have actually balled crying in the whole series. Was this such an emotional part for anyone else, or were my hormones just out of whack?

message 17: by Kimberly (last edited Feb 26, 2011 09:24AM) (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments Heather wrote: "***SPOILER ALERT***
Hi All! Ok, I just read the part where Jamie, Claire, and Young Ian go back to Lallybroch. I just want to say that when they saw Old Ian for the first time, was probably only t..."

Well, my hormones are out of whack because I'm pregnant, but I also cried and that part. I just love both of the Ians! And I loved Jennie seeing Jamie again. I really loved Echo so much more on my second read of it which I just finished a week ago.

message 18: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments It completely broke my heart! I bawled too. Ian was so special and wonderful. It was awful. I think that's why I forgive Jenny. I can't imagine being strong in the face of what she was going through.

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather Bailey | 132 comments I haven't read any further yet...just to the part where both Ians were sitting by the saints pool talking about how Young Ian should go back to Rachel, and then the scene where Jamie visits Laoghaire and then asks Claire if she as ever doubted that he needs her...sigh...

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth S | 29 comments I am currently reading Echo, and I find it very slow going. At times it has good parts and I cant put the book down, then I can read probably 10 pages and have no idea what I just read, find it a bit boring.

message 21: by EvaS (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 345 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I am currently reading Echo, and I find it very slow going. At times it has good parts and I cant put the book down, then I can read probably 10 pages and have no idea what I just read, find it a ..."

I agree... it kills me to say though.

message 22: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments My first reaction to Ian, sr's death was "no he can't die". It was very sad for everyone, especially Jamie. And then Clair had to leave him before Ian died, in order to save Henry Christian.
The whole thing made me upset.

message 23: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 187 comments Isn't it amazing how the author has the ability to make us feel like that?? After ABOSAA I felt like I had lost part of my family!

message 24: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments And I really liked Ian!

message 25: by Annie (new)

Annie | 19 comments I must say i loved books1-6,but i was disappointed in book 7- Echo.
I feel upset about this and feel that i let myself down, as i skipped a part of it.

I think the answer may be listening to it on audio tape, i've never listened to a story before so it will be a new experience.

I'm determined to enjoy it.!

By the way did anyone else feel this way?

message 26: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Annie wrote: "I must say i loved books1-6,but i was disappointed in book 7- Echo.
I feel upset about this and feel that i let myself down, as i skipped a part of it.

I think the answer may be listening to it..."

Yes Annie, I did! Meaning that I loved all the other books of the series and was very much disappointed with Echo. I read it once and at once, when it was published. The I went back to my much loved books 1-6. I gave it another try and could not make up my midn finishing it reading. I've also got it as audio book and is the same there, whereas I love listening to Davina Porter and am desperately waiting for TFC to be availabel unabridged, so far I did not listen to the complete version of Echo. And is not only the many cliffhangers and the unnervingly told episodes with LJG, I also do not want to accompany William into the Great Dismal either. Even Clair and Jamie at sea and then in the battlefileds are rather boring, something that never happened to me before!

message 27: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments It seemed like alot of people were split with Echo. I loved Echo. I thought the split points of view were awesome, and while the cliffhangers are rough they'll make it exciting to read the new ones. There were parts that were harder for me, as there are in almost every book, but what I enjoyed far outweighed the parts that I struggled with.

I've also heard alot of people say that they enjoyed it much more the second time.

message 28: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments There isn't one book of the series that I didn't like.

message 29: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 322 comments I really, really think you need to read the John Grey books before you read this book. It will help with knowing some of the back story and characters.

message 30: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "I really, really think you need to read the John Grey books before you read this book. It will help with knowing some of the back story and characters."

I completely agree! It made me love Echo on my second read knowing all of LJ's back stories.

message 31: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 322 comments I did the same thing Kimberly, read it without reading John Grey, and liking it but not loving it. Then I read all the John Grey and ended up liking the book a lot more.

message 32: by Heather (new)

Heather Bailey | 132 comments I could not get into the first LJG book...I read the first few chapters and put it down, thinking I may come back to it someday. A friend of mine told me Brotherhood of the Blade is much better and I can start with that one. Do you all agree?? Also, I totally agree that it feels like the characters are part of my family. That is why I got so upset when Ian died. It was like I was there, and I knew what everybody was feeling. Gosh, I am tearing up right now just thinking about it! Anyways, I am trying to savor the last pages of this book because I know the next one will not be out for a while. I don't know what I am going to do when the series is finished, maybe I will just always be reading one of the books for the rest of my life. Lastly, I struggled with many parts of Echo as well...mostly the parts with William and LJG because politics kind of confuse me, and those storylines bore me...but there are many parts that I love...like everything about Young Ian...I can't wait to read more about him!

message 33: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (lchacha) | 59 comments Heather wrote: "I could not get into the first LJG book...I read the first few chapters and put it down, thinking I may come back to it someday. A friend of mine told me Brotherhood of the Blade is much better and..."

The LJG books are "slow" reads. Yes, BOTB is much better than the first but do not expect to be as engrossed as when your read the Outlander series.

After reading the LJG series, you will have more insight on who LJG is and will probably look at Echo in a different way since we see alot of LJG and William, who was raised by him.

message 34: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments The LJG books are meant to be read in this order: "Hell-Fire Club" in Hand of Devils, Private Matter, "LJ and Succubus" in Hand of Devils, Brotherhood of the Blade, "LJ and Haunted Soldier" in Hand of Devils, and then "LJ and Custom of the Army" from Warriors anthology. My favorites were Hell-Fire Club and Brotherhood of the Blade, which are also the two which are probably the most relevant. But, I enjoyed them all.

message 35: by Karin (new)

Karin | 5 comments I sussed out the Lord John order and yes it has to be read correctly. I was disappointed that the order of reading wasnt really anywhere obvious.
Ive loved all the books so far, cant wait for the new one.

message 36: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments That stinks, because I've already read Private Matter.

message 37: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 322 comments Thank goodness they're smaller books that the Outlander books.

message 38: by AliNicole Reads (new)

AliNicole Reads (alinicolereads) I remember how excited I was for "the Private Matter" and then how disappointed I became after only a few chapters. That was a few years ago and I decided last night I would try the other books, so I checked out "Brotherhood" and "Blade".

Finishing "Echo" truly lit a fire under my butt in regards to LJ's character, so hopefully I'll be able to get through his books this time.

message 39: by EvaS (last edited Mar 09, 2011 02:35PM) (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 345 comments Ali.nicole85 wrote: "I remember how excited I was for "the Private Matter" and then how disappointed I became after only a few chapters. That was a few years ago and I decided last night I would try the other books, s..."

I didn't like Private Matter either but did enjoy the other 2 - Hand of Devils is my fav of the three books.

message 40: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments I agree with Eva. Hand of the Devils is probably my favorite of the LJ books too since it consists of novellas rather than one long story.

message 41: by AliNicole Reads (new)

AliNicole Reads (alinicolereads) I'm actually getting a little excited about starting LJ's series. Didn't think that would ever happen, lol.

Thanks for the encouragement!

message 42: by Mary G. (new)

Mary G. (nonometoo) | 319 comments He is a very multi-layered character. I really enjoy him; his attitude, outlook and sense of humor are fasinating. Enjoy!

message 43: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments I don't think the story(s) would have been the same without him. Now that I've read them all.

message 44: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments Carren wrote: "I don't think the story(s) would have been the same without him. Now that I've read them all."

I agree. LJ adds a little something extra to the series.

message 45: by AliNicole Reads (new)

AliNicole Reads (alinicolereads) How could you not like a man that adores Jamie as much as we do! ;)

message 46: by EvaS (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 345 comments Ali.nicole85 wrote: "How could you not like a man that adores Jamie as much as we do! ;)"

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up! LOL!

message 47: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth S | 29 comments Well I just finished Echo like 10 minutes ago. Well I do have to say, it was a good book all in all. Yes certain parts did bore me, but I suppose those are details that had to get themselves sorted, and I love how some loose ends were tied. The cliffhangers...ugh!! Roger!!! Jem!!! But I do have to say that I was VERY disappointed in Claire and how quickly she went to Lord John, not even a day went by that she was told Jamie was dead!! I would have been devastated!!! I didn't care for that part at all!! But all in all not bad....now I patiently wait for the next one!

message 48: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Eva wrote: "Ali.nicole85 wrote: "How could you not like a man that adores Jamie as much as we do! ;)"

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up! LOL!"

So true!!!

message 49: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments Elizabeth:
When you think about she married LJ so as to protect not only herself, but her family as well.It certainly wasn't out of love. If you recall in Outlander she did the same thing when she married Jamie, marry him or be turned over to Randall.

All in all it was a good book. I know some didn't like the historical parts, but I love history so that was just an added bonus.

message 50: by Wendy F, biblioholic (last edited Mar 16, 2011 12:37PM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Carren wrote: "Elizabeth:
When you think about she married LJ so as to protect not only herself, but her family as well.It certainly wasn't out of love. If you recall in Outlander she did the same thing when she..."

I agree Carren! I didn't fault her for marrying LJG, she was doing it to protect Marsali and the kids first and foremost. As far as them sleeping with each other, they were both grief stricken and drunk. They both thought Jamie was dead and in their pain they connected. It wasn't the best way to express themselves, but it wasn't like she had an affair. They were trying to keep a connection to Jamie through the other persons grief and body.

I just can't wait to read Jamie's reaction.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10