Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

The Billboard - Advertising > The Crafty Reader

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I gave into the blog pressure and started my own. You can check me out here: www.thecraftyreader.blogspot.com .

A launch giveaway is in the works so stay tuned. :D

message 3: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) yay me!

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (librarymom23) Your blog is great!

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Thanks Brenda!

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Looking good Jackie. Woo that was some promise you made....

;)

message 7: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 5 comments Enjoyed your blog Jackie :). I'm a library/thrift store book sale addict too. My library has an ongoing one which I check out every time I visit. And I often check the shelves at thrift stores. I never went so far as checking booksalefinder.com.

Hubby and I used to be more active with the book sales but we've slowed waaay down. One of the bedrooms in our house is crammed with boxes full of books. Sometimes I borrow a book I already own from the library because I don't feel like digging through boxes. The worst part is having to put a hold on a book I already have...somewhere.

I had proposed that we could go through the boxes and donate all but our absolute favorites. He refused, saying that we had put a lot of time and effort into our book sale jaunts. We even started an inventory on index cards that we took along with us to the sales. The inventory project remains incomplete. Too overwhelming.

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Thanks Laura and Mona!

Well, I suggest you don't check out book sale finder. lol. Sounds like you guys have an addiction too. I've come home twice with the same book I already own and I have done the inventory list thing. I had mine ready to go at the Pequot Sale. My books are crammed in bags, so it's a royal pain looking for a book. Many times I've given up the search looking for a book I know I have somewhere. That's why I've gotten so fed up with myself for buying so much. I don't spend much on my books so money is not an issue, but spacewise it's becoming a real issue.

For the inventory list, I just added all my own books to GR or at least most of them...I've gotten lazy a few times, but once you input them then you can print them out or import them onto excel. It's so much easier than index cards.

message 9: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 5 comments Yeah, Jackie, index card inventories are old school.

Despite of the inventory, we still have doubles of some. I have doubles of VHS movies too--something that hubby finds somehow to be endlessly amusing.

Money is not the issue here either. It's space. The problem is I'm a magazine junkie too. I have 10 magazine subscriptions in addition to the Sunday paper. I can't resist a rock-bottom subscription rate. Never mind that I don't have the time to read them and they are piling up. Despite of my growing piles, I still can't resist the latest issue of People on the library rack. ;)

message 10: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Omg, you sound like me. lol! I have a few mag subscriptions too. I have mags lying around from last year that I swear I'm going to read....some day. :P I'm actually cutting back on those too.

My problem is that my little cousins and nephews come to me with their pathetic puppy dog eyes thrusting their school magazine fundraisers at me. Really, I can't say no or it comes off like I'm a heartless b*tch, right? Plus, I have their parents glaring at me over the Thanksgiving table with that look in their eyes. So I really have no choice in the matter.

message 11: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1332 comments I am now offically following you!!!

message 12: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Yay, thanks Donna!

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Woo... look at that - 7!!

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) You'll be at a million followers soon!

message 15: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1332 comments No prob Jackie! Good Job

message 16: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Becky wrote: "You'll be at a million followers soon!"

Nah, I can't take Allison's place. lol.

message 17: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Jackie wrote: "Becky wrote: "You'll be at a million followers soon!"

Nah, I can't take Allison's place. lol."

LOL

message 18: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 5 comments Another follower :)

message 19: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Thank Mona.

I'm up to 9 followers. Muahahhahahaaa!

message 20: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 5 comments Jackie: Just got a big fat InStyle in the mail. Looks like a phone book. Let's just add it to the pile :).

Hubby's always telling me to read them fast otherwise they'll get outdated. But some things never get outdated(recipes,fiction,etc.). He says the same about the paper(I also have a pile of those on my nightstand). I'm hopeless, I know.

You fall for the puppy dog eyes too, huh? Hubby and my 5 yr-old have it mastered. Along with the pink chubby cheeks, I'm a goner.

Those fundraisers are potential minefields for friendships/family/co-workers/neighbors. At least you're buying something that you might like.

message 21: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (affie) | 468 comments I love the discussion here about buying books and space... I definitely understand! I buy books all the time, but I'm still in that college student stage which means I have no place of my own, so almost all of my books are in storage. Although, something I've discovered that is very helpful space-wise are those plastic tubs. Depending on the size of the books/amount of HC books vs. paperback books in a tub, I average about 100 per tub. It great for space, but not so great for moving them around...!

I'm now off to check out your blog Jackie!

message 22: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (librarymom23) Have any of you found that you purchase a book because you have enjoyed the author in the past, only to findout you have already read the book, the publisher has just put it out in a diffrent size or with a different cover. I hate when I do this.

message 23: by Jackie (last edited Aug 20, 2010 10:47AM) (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Mona- LOL! I received a chubby Glamour mag and a Latina mag earlier this week. My goal is to cancel the Latina one this weekend and recycle all my unread magazines. The Glamour subscription was a fundraiser one, so I'm going to let that one run out.

Ashley- Thanks for stopping by! Those tubs are a back breaker when full of books. I have one which has a mix of books and clothes and another that is full of my winter clothes. Unfortunately, I don't have room for more and even if I did I don't want it. lol.

I want to de-clutter. What scared me was this past weekend I saw a hoarder show and this lady had books everywhere in her bedroom. It was quite sad since she had a serious problem with hoarding (it was not just books). But, I identified a bit with her when she kept coming up with excuses...like I'm going to read that some day or I just had to have that book because so and so wrote it. I don't want to end up like that.

Brenda- Ooo, I haven't done that before. But I have bought the same book 3 times because it was part of a series and I thought I didn't own it, but I actually did...instead I needed like the 4th one, not the 3rd one.