SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Getting to Know You > How do you like to read?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 121 (121 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Adele (new)

Adele (turtil) | 23 comments when i was reading a book the other day i found it really hard to get comfortable. and that is when the thought occoured to me. Do you have a favourite way you like to read or a position you read in?(no i'm not being dirty i just don't know how to word it any other way)
there are people who like to read in bed,on the train, in the bath (with a nice drink!)etc.
Also do you save a book for reading when your...on the train for example(yes that's what i do, i have a book on the train and a book for when i'm curled up on the couch under a blanket)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments Where are you reading?

Irresponsible! I don't care if it's paper or electronic, I wouldn't feel safe even if you wrap 'em up in plastic!:

[image error]

[image error]

[image error]

An iPad, those things cost a fortune would you do this with it?:

[image error]

[image error]

You have to be "Fearless" to read and drive at the same time:

[image error]

That better be the Bible!:

[image error]

Uncomfortable!:

[image error]

Finally a position I sometimes read in:

[image error]

Blasphemy! (I love this word, can you tell?) Ereaders and book reading apps are no substitutes for the read thing, how dare she even joke about such a horrible thing, LOL!:

[image error]

message 3: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 145 comments You don't have to be fearless to drive and read at the same time-just stupid.
I'll read just about anywhere (as long as I'm not driving! I love it when my husband drives.), and I always have a book in my purse. When I'm taking my knitting bag along (long waits at the doctor's office, anyone?), I always have at least one book, sometimes two, stuffed in with the knitting.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (needsun) | 60 comments Some of those pictures are just too much. I laughed, I cried....noone should even joke about burning books.

What a good question and I didn't even realize I had a routine until I went to answer.

In the morning with my coffee I sit at a table, outside if is it a nice day, to read a book.

During the day while working, driving or whatever, I listen to an audiobook. If I can just sit, I knit and listen. I always have knitting and my itouch with me.

At night in bed, I use my itouch to read something I have downloaded. I always have three books going.

message 5: by Adele (new)

Adele (turtil) | 23 comments Amy or "Ames" wrote: "Where are you reading?

Irresponsible! I don't care if it's paper or electronic, I wouldn't feel safe even if you wrap 'em up in plastic!:

An iPad, those things cost a fortune would you d..."

LOL i loved the pics Amber and saw just a few on the website you linked. all i can say is wow. some are so obviously set up but others...Wow. some are irresponsible, blasphemous(great word, not used enough), or just really funny. i try not to take books on holiday but i'm not one to lounge around the pool, if i did i'd take a book with me.

Sandra J wrote: " I love it when my husband drives..."

Sandra, many a time have i been stuck in the hospital waiting to be seen or just at the dr's surgery or even at a bus stop just waiting....it's the perfect remedy.and i have a tendancey to have a couple of books in what ever bag i have with me. one to finish and one to start! can't read in the car if i'm a passenger.... i fall asleep too much!

Joanne wrote: "What a good question and I didn't even realize I had a routine until I went to answer..."

Joanne i'm with you, when i couldn't get comfortable i realised it was because i wasn't on the couch under a blanket(i was at the kitchen table). and here i was thinking i was pretty versatile.
i have a few friends how listen to audiobooks while they are working. they also listen while driving in their car too. do you do that? maybe i should convert to audio books.... i might get more knitting done!

message 6: by Shelleyrae (last edited Aug 19, 2010 09:31PM) (new)

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out | 346 comments I can pretty much read anywhere - I am usually draped over the kitchen isle bench while I have something in the oven or on my chaise end of the lounge. I also read in bed, in the car (NOT while driving), while I am doing ( a minimal amount) of housework, even *GASP* on the toilet. If I have a hand free there is a book (ipod) in it. LOL

message 7: by Mary C (last edited Aug 19, 2010 07:54PM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 2423 comments I actually like to read in my computer chair with my fee on the desk. No neck strain that way. Or sitting on the couch.

I can't read in bed. I start falling asleep almost imeediately even if it's a really good book.

I also like to read in the bath tub-and the toilet.

message 8: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments LOL Ames! Those are a hoot and NO I would NOT put my (if I had one) iPad near any water, much less in it! Eeek!

I always read in bed (iTouch) before falling asleep. Some books cause me fall asleep faster, some cause me stay up until the rooster crows.

I can read just about anywhere, I don't get easily distracted by noise when reading, so in front of the TV, standing in a long queue, in the car, on a plane, in a house with a mouse ...

message 9: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Would you could you on a boat? Would you could you with a goat?

message 10: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments LMAO Dr. Seuss!! No boats, water bad. Eeww on the goat, that's just .... nastay. :D

message 11: by Laura Lulu (last edited Aug 19, 2010 11:06PM) (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Yeah, they like to eat everything. Not too smart to read around 'em.

message 12: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments LOL they are always the animals in the kiddie petting zoo that tackle the unsuspecting little ones with grub in their sweaty little hands. :D

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments My bed is my favourite place to read but I can read almost anywhere except for when I'm travelling in any vehicle, I always have to be looking out a window in case I miss something. Call me Little Miss Nosey:)

message 14: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (needsun) | 60 comments Adele, I do listen to an audio book while driving. Sometime, I have to sit in my driveway just to get past a good part..lol.

If I am a passenger, I get to knit, listen to an audio book and look out the window.

Life is sometimes amazing!

message 15: by Adele (new)

Adele (turtil) | 23 comments Joanne wrote: "Adele, I do listen to an audio book while driving. Sometime, I have to sit in my driveway just to get past a good part..lol.

If I am a passenger, I get to knit, listen to an audio book and look..."

what's even more amazing is that we all have a way to read our books without really being aware of it!

I can't sleep if i read in bed. i made the mistake of reading breaking dawn until 4am and had to got to work the next day.... needless to say i had to go home early because i was to "sick" to work! lol. ever scince then the couch has become my "reading spot".

message 16: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments I read anywhere, anytime! I rushed out of the house the other day, and realized I'd left my book on the table...panic! In most cases, I will run back home to get it.

message 17: by Jackie M (new)

Jackie M | 695 comments I usually read in my recliner, but I like to sit on it sorta sideways and rock. I do like to read in bed but it drives my husband nuts not sure why because I use a book light.

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 468 comments I read a different book in bed or while traveling or while sitting in the bath tub.

I tend to have a cheap paperback from a thrift store or even a nicer new paperback if I am in the tub. I keep a hand towel near me to make sure my hands are dry when I turn a page. Usually works great and I am very careful not to drop it in the water! I even sat and read in the pool while it was getting filled with water. But then I got cold and got out. I prefer to read in the warm bath. Sometimes I get too relaxed reading in the bath and get sleepy! LOL

I like to listen to an audiobook while knitting or doing other crafty activities. I tend to use a public domain audiobook from Librivox for this. Free classics anyone?

I will have yet another book on my Kindle for traveling, keeping in the purse, reading in bed etc.

I will read hardcovers at home usually in bed or lounging on the couch or somewhere I can prop it up when it gets to the point it will stay open on its own. I never bring hardcovers in the bath and rarely out of the house because they are too heavy and I have a Kindle for that!

So yes I will sometimes have as many as 4 books going at once! I am terrible... I know... :-P

message 19: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Nice way to cover every situation, Awesomevegan!

I'm generally a "one-at-a-time" type...probably because I read mostly paperbacks...though want to switch to more e-books...as soon as I can buy them in my local currency!

message 20: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 145 comments More often than not I have at least four or five books going at once. There's always a book in the car in addition to the ones in the house (and all over the house). And I've started listening to audio books in the car, so there's always one in the CD player. "Never leave home without one" is my motto.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I usually read sitting or laying in the couch or in bed right before I go to sleep or after I wake up. Then I also read while I'm on the bus and in school between classes, but it is usually the same book that I bring with me everywhere. I prefer to finish a book before I start another.

I also have some audiobooks for training or evening-walks. :)

message 22: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments I'm pretty much the one-at-a-time type, too, though I sometimes squeeze in a short story. :D

message 23: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments Yep same. I can't read more than one because once I start a book, I get really into it and just read it constantly until I finish, even if I have things to do.

message 24: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 31 comments I'm a bed reader. I do most of my reading in bed. I can stay in bed all day with a book.
I have a very nice deck on the back of my house and I love my yard. Since the weather has turned beautiful lately, I've been doing a lot of reading outside.

message 25: by Diane (new)

Diane (dianes) I can read just about anywhere. I don't read in bed much lately, because I'm not sleeping well so I would probably fall asleep real fast.In the car I listen to audiobooks, but if my husband is driving I read on my Nook. When I was in Cancun I read my Nook while at the beach, but my chair was a ways away from the water so I couldn't get splashed. I saw one lady in Cancun who was standing in the pool and reading her Nook. Too risky to me!

message 26: by CyberAlmu (new)

CyberAlmu | 302 comments my two favourite spots to read are bed, of course, and on the floor. Yeah, sounds crazy, having the couch beside but...

message 27: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments LOL! Whatever works, CA. :)

message 28: by Trish (new)

Trish (boxiedoxie) | 38 comments I like to read in bed, on the road while the hubby drives, and (I hate to admit) on the toilet. I read actual books mostly, but I have the kindle app on my droid so if for some dumb reason I, God forbid, forget my book I just pull out my phone and read a book from it. I would rather read an actual book, but the phone also works great when we're on the road at night and I don't have a book light which isn't very often. I keep a book light in my pickup all the time but batteries don't run forever.

message 29: by Audrey (new)

Audrey Cook Kolbek (audreykol) I like to read in the bed, but my all time favorite place is in the tub. It is my "quite" time. I don't have different books for my different places. I read the some book everywhere.

message 30: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 2423 comments I tend to fall asleep if I read in bed. So I bought a really comfy office chair for my bedroom. (got it at Staples as a floor model clearence $300 down to $150). Anyway it reclines. So I sit in that and read.

message 31: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 7 comments I often have several books. 1 in my car in case I have a wait somewhere. 1 my desk for when I have a couple minutes free, 1 on the coffee table for commercial breaks or reruns, 1 in the bathroom for if I take a bath and 1 by my bed. So basically I read anywhere and everywhere I can.

message 32: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Ahh...have books everywhere, but usually read one at a time (so wandering around the house & world with that book in hand/bag/whereever!

message 33: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (OodsAteMyDingo) | 46 comments I can read just about anywhere. And I often read while in a drive-thru line or when my gasoline is being pumped.

message 34: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (OodsAteMyDingo) | 46 comments Okay, okay. I once tried to read while driving too. ONCE! For like a second. Then I panicked.

Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe) (sparklyblueyes) | 20 comments reading while driving OH NO! I get car sick just reading while riding in the passenger seat.

I generally just curl up on the couch and read for hours

message 36: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (tiffanyrh) I love reading in a bubble bath : P

message 37: by Susan (new)

Susan | 23 comments I can read just about anywhere. I usually always have a book with me just in case I have a few moments.

message 38: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (krh23) | 4 comments I love to read anywhere I can hide from my kids ;)

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (eclecticfirefly) | 1237 comments I hear you Kerry - but for me it's anywhere I can get away from my grandkiddos!

Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe) (sparklyblueyes) | 20 comments I am ADHD so it's really hard for me to read when there is a lot of noise or the tv is on around I get distracted easily. So I like it when it's quiet....I do most of my reading during my babies nap time and when all my kids are in bed for the night.

message 41: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 18 comments I always read on the bus on the way to and from work. sometimes I also read at the table in the canteen on my lunch.My favourite place at home is in bed, propped up with tons of pillows.

I always have my kindle with me in case I get a chance to read.

I listen to audiobooks in the bath - my kindle is not allowed to even be in the same room as water!- and when doing housework or walking.

Audiobooks are a bit hit and miss for me though.A lot of my favourite books are written by Americans and therefore the narrator is American. For some reason, because the voice in my head when I read is British (because it's my voice),it really weirds me out having a book read to me that is not in a British accent. I have no idea why- I love watching American TV shows!

message 42: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Welcome to the group, Bookgirlie!

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments Welcome, Bookgirlie!

I understand what you mean about audiobooks. I'm a Brit too but not all American accents get to me and some British accents don't sound right to me either, like Dawn French reading Coraline. The younger the reader the better the American accent sounds to me, not sure why. So YA audios sound great to me. Colour me weird.

message 44: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments I hadn't really thought about that. Different accents would throw me off too. Unless the character has an accent.

message 45: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23482 comments Yeah, some nice smooth french or italian accent maybe. But not for YA. ROFL

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments LOL, Sandra! Naughty girl!

message 47: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments LOL!

message 48: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23482 comments :D

message 49: by Sara (new)

Sara Hey guys!

I spent years in the bath since I got married.. as that was the one place I could read in peace..until I got my new phone and was introduced to the wonder of Audible.. Now I "read" when I do dished, cut the grass, iron, drive, surf (the net), work.. Basically it's a two for one, I get to listen to some of the most amazing books ever (BDB, Demonica, Dark hunters.. list goes on!) and having the headphones on blocks out any moans from the husband!!! ;)

message 50: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments LOL Sara! Welcome to the group! Aren't the BDB books awesome on audio? Those are some of my favorites to listen to vs. read.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Coraline (other topics)