Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > A.A. Milne: Books he didn't write

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael | 262 comments A.A. Milne is listed as the author of dozens of books which he obviously did not write, but which are inspired by his characters, for example: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21...

In the absence of any other author information, should these books stay attributed to A.A. Milne or to, say, Anonymous?

Keeping them with A.A. Milne would seem to be the most obvious answer - to what is probably a silly question, but I thought I would ask it anyway :-D - as it would make them easier to find, even though he didn't write them.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 362 comments An opinion from the perspective from a reader and parent - I'd say to you, Good Catch - and no I don't think those books should be attributed to him. I agree that they'll be hard to find if they're all listed as "anonymous" but I do think the authors' pages should be *accurate* first, helpful second.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 159 comments You could use the illustrator as primary author and move Milne down. That will keep him there for searches but give credit to the illustrator/adaptor. In many children's books, these are the same person.

Maybe put a role beside Milne such as "Story".

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 362 comments That would be cool with me. I of course don't know for sure if that fits with the librarian's policy manual, but it seems good.

message 5: by Melody (new)

Melody (runningtune) | 13258 comments However World Cat does list A.A. Milne as the author for the book you cited.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 159 comments Melody wrote: "However World Cat does list A.A. Milne as the author for the book you cited."

Looking at the cover image, it looks like it was adapted from a Milne story but isn't exactly as he wrote it.

In this situation, I'd compare it to the way graphic novels are handled, when an already established series is later adapted to the comic format.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael | 262 comments Many of the Disney books are obviously written by "house" authors, not A.A. Milne, they just use the Hundred Acre Wood friends as character-driven product. So, I think this is different to a graphic novel adaptation.

Maybe they could be listed with the first author as Disney Studios with A.A. Milne second as "created by," or something similar.

Reassuring to see it wasn't such a silly question, after all ;-)