SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Other Discussions & Chats > Question of the day

Comments Showing 1-50 of 330 (330 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Just for some fun - Every day we can have a new question asked by whoever asks first.

We can then answer the question throughout the day!

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Ok, so Ill start.

What is your favourite food?

Mine would have to indian food, and I am pretty good at cooking indian food aswell, I can even make roti and samosas. (Impressed yet?) lol

What about you?

message 3: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments I love Thai! You can taste every ingredient in Thai cooking as opposed to for example Chinese where everything tastes the same. But I must say Italian and Sushi are running a close second! Emma, I love Indian food but suck at cooking curries and so forth! When are you going to invite us for a night of Indian cuisine??

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Sonette wrote: "I love Thai! You can taste every ingredient in Thai cooking as opposed to for example Chinese where everything tastes the same. But I must say Italian and Sushi are running a close second! Emma, ..."

:-) I am actually making lamb curry as we speak, I tend to like it quite hot and spicy and so does my husband. I also like italian and Turkish food. I find chinese quite bland also Sonette but never tried Thai. It would be great to eat a curry and discuss books lol. Just make sure theres plenty of water on the table though.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Thai food for me too! I make a great green noodle curry with tofu and fresh herbs.

That's pretty much the only cooking I do though, unless you count making pasta with sauce or putting crumbed fish in the oven. My favourite foods are normally eaten in a restaurant.

I also like Italian (but who doesn't?), Indian, sushi, fusion. Nothing too hot though.

And I LOVE cheese.

There's a Turkish place I've been wanting to try too, but I forget the name...

message 6: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I love Nando's .... :P

But I would say Mexican / Portuguese, anything with salsa / nachos and stuff where I can dip my bread in is great in my book!

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Lauren wrote: "Thai food for me too! I make a great green noodle curry with tofu and fresh herbs.

That's pretty much the only cooking I do though, unless you count making pasta with sauce or putting crumbed fish..."

Maybe if you live in Joburg there are lots of great places to eat, not so much here in Durbs Im afraid. If there was a good turkish restaurant here I would definately go there. I miss the food yaprak dolma that is mince and rice wrapped in vine leaves, absoliutely fantastic, and imam bayaldi which means the priest has fainted...its an aubergine dish. And Turkish cheese is also good they call it peynir, a bit like feta quite salty, but great with freshly baked breadand tomatoes in a morning for breakfast. I remember eating that every day on our boat. Those were the days :-) very happy memories

message 8: by Naz (last edited Aug 20, 2010 10:40AM) (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments Lol I don't think the Indian thing applies to me since I am Indian :P but it is impressive that you can make samoosa's Emma... I was trying to teach my boss to fold them a few weeks back. He was absolutely fascinated! There's a good few Indians who can't make roti's either so I'm really impressed :) Have you ever tried making paratha's yet? They are soo yummy when they just off the pan.

I love pasta's and almost anything else that has cheese on it. Oh and there's a place in Jhb that sells a pizza with a whole lot of stuff on it. My sister says its a heart attack waiting to happen but I love it hehe.

message 9: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I'm looking for a good place to buy samoosas here in JHB, anybody know of a place?

message 10: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments Which side of Jhb? There used to be a shop in Braamfontain near where I worked and one in Melville and if you go to the plaza in Mayfair they almost always have there aswel.

message 11: by Emma (last edited Aug 20, 2010 03:38PM) (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Naz wrote: "Lol I don't think the Indian thing applies to me since I am Indian :P but it is impressive that you can make samoosa's Emma... I was trying to teach my boss to fold them a few weeks back. He was ab..."

Thanks Naz, I was hoping someone would be impressed lol. My husband is indian so knowing how to make roti and curry is a great advantage, especially if the old adage is true "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach" well Yes it is true in my husbands case. My mother in law taught me how to make roti and I learned how to make Biryani from a muslim neighbour back in England.

message 12: by Lu (last edited Aug 21, 2010 02:41AM) (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Kempton Park side Naz?

New Question of the day:

Do you guys think that Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins and Radiance (Radiance, #1) by Alyson Noel are good giveaways for my first giveaway on my blog?

Or should i swap one of them for Spy Glass (Glass, #3) by Maria V. Snyder ?

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Lu there is alot of hype surrounding Mockingjay so most people would be interested to get that book in a giveaway more than anything else. I think all of them infact would be good giveaways.

message 14: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments Ooh thats like on the other side of Jhb... I'll ask my Aunt, she's that side of the world too and I'll get back to you asap.
But if you know of or see any indian butchers near you they almost all sell them frozen.

I've been wanting to get Mockingjay so yup I think its a great give away.

message 15: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Thanks Naz :)

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I'll ask a question for Sunday: how many books do you own?

message 17: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Oh wow....

About 90 (yes i'm a slacker), and 500 digital :P

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith If my Goodreads library is accurate, I have about 271. No idea how many e-books. About 5 audio-books.

message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I dont own many paper books, I only have 30, the rest are e-books and I have counted them and its about 500 but some are complete works of that particular author, which I have only counted as one.:-)

message 20: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments Lu wrote: "I'm looking for a good place to buy samoosas here in JHB, anybody know of a place?"

A bit late Lu, but there a little snack shop at Centurion lake (close to Joburg at least) which makes the best Samoosas EVER!

message 21: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments And my answer to the Sunday question... Currently have about 61 books, which includes mostly series books and some classic singles which I've kept. I've recently donated all my text books and business books to the library at work at sold all my older novels to a second hand bookstore. And I have about 40 Mills & Boons which I swop and sell as I read them. And I have exactly 825 ebooks! Hehe

message 22: by Lu (last edited Aug 22, 2010 12:24PM) (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Sonette wrote: "Lu wrote: "I'm looking for a good place to buy samoosas here in JHB, anybody know of a place?"

A bit late Lu, but there a little snack shop at Centurion lake (close to Joburg at least) which mak..."

Thanks!! No idea where that is tho lol, will find out :)

message 23: by Naz (last edited Aug 22, 2010 01:27PM) (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments I have about 120 books and 14300 ebooks (give or take a few)

message 24: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments Hehe, is about 14km from Midrand to Pretoria side. Take John Vorster offramp from N1 then turn left. Take Lenchen road (third robot) right and then the mall is on your left hand side!

message 25: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Naz wrote: "I have about 120 books and 14300 ebooks (give or take a few)"

Jesus Christ, 14 300 e-books?! How did you get so many Naz?

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok Naz, that means you have to list a few ebooks for me, so that you can send some along to me :) it seems only fair seeing as you have a ton! :) LOL

message 27: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments YES PLEASE!! I SECOND THAT!

message 28: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Naz wrote: "I have about 120 books and 14300 ebooks (give or take a few)"

I thought I was bad with downloading e-books! Goodness 14,000 is alot. I end up downlaoding a few books a week, but it depends if I find something good. Sometiems I just save the link to the e-book, and I have tons of links for books that I have not even downloaded yet. I normally wait until I am in the mood for the book.

Do you have a list of your e-books Naz?

I try to have a list but I havent updated mine in awhile.

message 29: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Sonette wrote: "Hehe, is about 14km from Midrand to Pretoria side. Take John Vorster offramp from N1 then turn left. Take Lenchen road (third robot) right and then the mall is on your left hand side!"

I'll keep that in mind when going that way :) Thanks!

Naz wrote: "I have about 120 books and 14300 ebooks (give or take a few)"

Wow

message 30: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments Lol Lauren I got all the right friends in all the right places ;)

Erm ok so I was tired when I typed that, I forgot that some of them are in word as well as pdf. So maybe I actually only have 13 000? Anyways its just over 8GB and no I didn't download them all. Actually I only ever downloaded about 7 novels :P

A friend of mine who's been collecting them for years gave them to me. It was on his hard-drive and I happened to have my 8GB flash with me one fateful day (whoopy!) so I put on my sweetest smile and pleaded. That was about a year ago I'm sure he's got loads more now.... Maybe I should email him.

No I don't have them listed... but if anyone willing to type the list for me i wont say no :) Its only 1514 Authors :P

message 31: by Naz (last edited Sep 28, 2010 08:35AM) (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments List

Erm someone lemme know if this works? You should be able to see 9 images of my list of Authors

message 32: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Naz that is awesome!

I have one word:

*Jealous*

And where do you live? :P

message 33: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments Lol Far Far Away :P

message 34: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments My inspiration for this question comes from that song "I wanna be a billionaire" I cant stand that song! and it drives me crazy whenever I hear it, but I often think that years ago a million dollars would be enough, but not nowadays, he wants a billion.

SO TODAYS QUESTION IS:

What would you do with a Billion dollars!

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Firstly, I'd travel.

Also, I'd quit my job and become an academic, maybe at Yale or Oxford or something, and spend the rest of my life studying literature.

I also want a gorgeous library in my home, with massive wooden shelves, beautiful but comfortable reading chairs, a huge desk, a supply of Mont Blanc pens and Moleskine notebooks, and the latest Apple Mac. There will be separate sections for philosophy, science fiction, mythology, literary fiction, etc. A small but well-stocked wine cellar will adjoin the library.

And my superficial side is reminding me that my wardrobe will expand greatly.

message 36: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Travel! Buy books! Buy other stuff! Buy a house! Read all day because i can!
Sigh if only :)

message 37: by Emma (last edited Aug 24, 2010 05:34AM) (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I am one of those people that doesnt think money buys you happiness, it just makes life more comfortable. There are alot of wealthy people who are completely miserable, and alot of poor people content, and having money doesnt make you a better person, case in point Donald Trump, a complete arse!

Anyway, if I did have a billion dollars, I would love to Travel around the world in a huge yacht, or a clipper ship. There are so many places that I have longed to visit, Japan, China, South Pacific Islands, Egypt, Israel,Amazon Jungle. I also love Gorilla's ever since I watched Gorilla's in the mist years ago, so I would love to travel to Burundi to see the mountain gorilla's.

Lauren I have always wanted a library room in my home. I have this picture in my head already designed in the event that one day I will be able to have one.

My library would be in a round room with those ladders with casters on them so that you can climb onto the ladder and swing around the library looking for books. Id like for it to have a mezzanine on top also, with a spiral staircase leading upto it. A huge roaring fireplace would be the focal point with 2 leather chairs on eiter side of the fire with a decanter of whisky/southern comfort on a small table.

Id like a house near a lake, not the sea as I dont like sea water, too salty. I love animals so Id buy a horse,learn to ride it ofcourse, and have dogs and goats and chickens and live off the land.

Thats my real life. Mmm maybe one day

message 38: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Ah, yes, I should add a fireplace to my library fantasy too :)

The horse as well - I did horse-riding as a kid, every Saturday until I was about 15 or 16, and I always dreamed of having my own horse. And I want one or two dogs, and a cat.

message 39: by Lauren (last edited Aug 28, 2010 03:35AM) (new)

Lauren Smith How many books have you read from the BBC Big Read list?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/bigread/top...
If the whole series is listed, it only counts as 1, so it's how many out of the 100.

I've read 24.

message 40: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments 22 and two others that I only read half-way and stopped. There's a few others I have on my shelves that I need to find time to get to.

message 41: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I've read 13

message 42: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2446 comments Mod
22 for me. At least ones that I still remember reading.

message 43: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I have read 19.

message 44: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
New Question of the day:

What is your favourite colour?

<--- purple :)

message 45: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I dont realy ave a fav colour, I like red and blue though

message 46: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Hmm, I love purple too, but I use it in moderation. Blue and black are the colours I favour most of the time.

message 47: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments Red and black

message 48: by Nix (new)

Nix blue :)

*trying to force herself out of her incessant, creepy lurkdom*

message 49: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2446 comments Mod
Blue. Although red comes in at a close second.

message 50: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments So can anyone ask a question?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7