Start by marking “The Tiger Who Came to Tea” as Want to Read:
The Tiger Who Came to Tea

The Tiger Who Came to Tea

The doorbell rings just as Sophie and her mummy are sitting down to tea. Who could it possibly be? What they certainly don't expect to see at the door is a big furry, stripy tiger!
Published March 14th 1992 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Tiger Who Came to Tea, please sign up.
Dharma NO it is a very good book but it is not a fable
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
4,621 books — 6,026 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
2,627 books — 1,818 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Tiger Who Came to Tea
Jan-Maat
I learnt important life lessons from this book:
*Don't try to drink all the water from the tap
*Drinking tea from the pot via the spout gets you a mouth full of tea leaves
*A single tin of tiger food will fill you up as much as an entire household full of food

The story is a simple one - what happens when a tiger comes to tea (tea here in the British English sense of a post-midday meal eaten with tea, the content and actual time of the meal correlating with social class and location). The situation
Bionic Jean
The Tiger Who Came to Tea is a picture story book for very young children. It was first published in 1968, but is one of those books which appeals to generation after generation. I remember children in the 1970s loving it, and it is just as popular today.

It is all about a little girl called Sophie, her mummy, and a tiger, all of whom have tea together. (Of course it is. What did you expect? The title told you that is exactly what it would be.)

The story starts with a ring at the door, interrupti
Ken
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully charming children's book that has enchanted many generations for other 50 years.

It's a nice simple story of a tiger arriving at Sophie's house and asking if he could stay for tea.
The brilliant accompanied illustrations sees the tiger devour every food and drink item in the house.

I thought Sophie's Daddy was pretty carm when he found out that the tiger had drunk all his beer!
Hilary
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those looking for a lovely bedtime story
A reread of an absolute favourite bedtime story following the sad news that Judith Kerr had died on the 22nd May.

Such a simple idea, a tiger calling in to have tea with you, but just the sort of thing a child would wonder about and think what would happen if one did? How fun that the tiger had eaten all the food so they would have to go out to supper, and how handy the tiger had drunk all the water in the taps so you wouldn't have to bother with a bath but you could go to the local cafe in your
N
Sep 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
The British are so nonchalant. A tiger comes in and eats and drinks everything in the house. No worries, we'll just go out to eat tonight.
Mir
Mar 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mir by: Suzy Boyd of the Financial Times
Shelves: picture
Should a tiger come to tea,
it is scarce a tragedy.
Give him buns
two or three --
or ten --
and should he come again
we'll resupply with grub.
But first -- let's to the pub.
Mathew
Yes, I know 'why hadn't I read this before?' I think I did when I was very young but revisiting again brought up the oddness of the whole book and the visit of the tiger. I can understand why adult readers see the tiger as a representation of Nazis visiting the Kerr's home - its unquestionable authority and power and it feeds on the family's stock of food has a sense of ever-present danger. Although mother and daughter never seem worried about the visit or the tiger itself, its size and mention ...more
Lisa Vegan
I loved this story and, as a child, would have been utterly delighted reading this/having this read to me.

It says it was published first in 1968. It feels more 1950s to me. From the words within, I do believe it was probably first published in England.

I’ve always loved tigers, though as an adult not in zoos or other entertainment parks, and so even this very “un-tigerlike” tiger appealed to me. The story is very funny and entertaining, and fun to read aloud.

The illustrations are equally amusing
Shirley Revill
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A classic much loved story about a tiger that came to tea and ate everything in the house.
Really entertaining story for the younger children and I enjoyed reading this book as well.
Recommended.
·Karen·
Apr 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why is it that a lot of our favourite children's books have to do with food?
This one is particularly nostalgic for me, as it is the story I used to calm down a two year old who had fallen off the top bunk, thus needing an x-ray to see if any bones were broken. A normal examination was impossible as she started to scream every time the doctor came near her, so there we were, me and a doctor, both in lead aprons, trying to hold down a wriggling screeching refusenik so that her nice photo would co
Dan (Reader&Writer)
Jun 18, 2020 rated it liked it
It’s a magical book, I can’t put my finger on why exactly. But what loses a few stars is the fact there is a beginning a middle but in my opinion no end to it. It just kind of finishes. Probably really a 3.5
Liam
Sep 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Read this when babysitting and it was just really lighthearted and fun!
Amy Brooklyn
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My little girl favourite book! An absolute classic.
Abigail
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Judith Kerr Fans / Readers Looking for Charming Picture-Books
Sophie and her mummy are just sitting down to tea in this classic British picture-book, when a Tiger knocks on the door and asks to join them. Sophie's mum invites him in, and his appetite proves formidable, leading him to eat everything in the house. With Sophie's daddy on the way home, what will Sophie's mum do about supper? Fortunately, Daddy has an idea...

Originally published in 1968, The Tiger Who Came to Tea has the same gentle humor to be found in its creator's books about Mog, the forget
midnightfaerie
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
This was a cute story about how a tiger comes to tea and eats and drinks everything in the house. The kids, both my 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds were engaged enough to follow the story, but never really showed any interest in the outcome. Not even the tiger they really cared what happened to, and I think it was because the ending fell a little flat, even I was wondering what the point of the book was. After the tiger eats and drinks everything, it leaves and the family is left wondering what they ...more
J. Boo
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
A dual garage sale was held by a pair of neighbors with older children, a need to declutter, and excellent taste in books - multiple titles that I vaguely recognized from friends' lists.

Anyway, this is a cute story of a tiger who came unexpectedly to tea, and ate everything. After it was read to her, DD (age 3), demanded an immediate reread, and then a third just before naptime. I had fun, too.
Emily
Nov 01, 2009 rated it liked it
This one may eventually be moved off the "can't read to Tommy" shelf. The problem here was that the tiger eats all their food. That wasn't right! I cautiously tried it again last month, and we took it a little more stoically.
Angela
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
For my first book review I have chosen The Tiger Who Came to Tea by Judith Kerr. This is a story I have read many times for my nephews and for the boy whom I child mind for and they love it.
It is a classic tale written over forty years ago which tells the story of Sophie and her mum who sit down to have tea one afternoon, when there is a knock at the door, and they have an unexpected visit from a tiger. They allow the tiger to come in and have tea with them as if there is nothing unusual about
Thomas Edmund
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh my God. This Story. I can't work it out, is the tiger a fabrication between the mother and daughter, an excuse for eating the entire contents of the house and not leaving an for Dad? Except mother looks genuinely stressed by the events while Sophie seems to have an unhealthy bond with this tiger. IS this really a tale about child possession? Father has a very long suffering look about him when he returns and he seems to be selling his idea of eating out a little much.

Or worse, is the tiger re
Dolly
Oct 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens
This is an entertaining story about a tiger who acts most decidedly improper at tea time. The narrative is short and silly and the illustrations scream of an older time.

I do not remember reading this book when I was a child, but it seems to be a tale that has remained popular over the years. We enjoyed reading it together.
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star
A classic children's book from the author of Mog the Forgetful Cat. Beautifully illustrated, and a very amusing storyline about a friendly tiger who comes to tea one night and eats the family out of house and home. My son enjoyed looking at this book tonight; I'm sure it will be a lifelong favourite of his.
ABC
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: younger-kids
Is it bad that I kept expecting the tiger to eat the little girl next?
Christy
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, favourites
My all-time fav picture book.
Latanya (Crafty Scribbles)
Cute classic about what exactly happens in the book's title. 4/5
Sarah Sammis
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Tiger Who Came to Tea by Judith Kerr was published in 1968 and was recently turned into a stage play in London. Children's books as theater seems to be having a renaissance of sorts. My inner child is feeling miffed at missing the show.

A mother and daughter sit down to tea (a most wonderful excuse for a mid afternoon snack) when the doorbell unexpectedly rings. The daughter asks who it could be but all the mother can say is that it won't be daddy because he has a key. Upon opening the door t
Nwakaego Dee
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is my daughters favourite bedtime story. It is about a young girl who is having tea with her mother and then the door bell rings. Standing at the door is a tiger. They invite the tiger to join them for tea, only for the tiger to eat all the food and drink all the drinks in the house,leaving nothing for her daddy when he returns home.

This book is very well illustrated, my daughter always gets captivated by how big the tiger is. It gives a strong example of sharing. The young girl did n
Indrani Sen
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
A sweeet lovely book for children. My niece is enjoying it very much with daily repeated reads. Even I (much grown-up) loved the sweet innocent story. The illustrations are very very nice.
Esther
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-alouds
Charming. I love the warmth in the homes of these older English books like this and Paddington and the like. The grace, and femininity of the mothers, and the kindness of the fathers. The centrality of the home. These are just lovely.
Les Wilson
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nostalgia time with the family read story today with son Ian and grandson Ben remembering seeing the story on stage at Chelmsford. Dating from 1968 it has lost nothing with time,
Carina
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
'The Tiger who came to Tea' by Judith Kerr is one of my favourite children's stories. It tells the story of a tiger who knocks on Sophie's door one day and invites himself to tea. One of the aspects of the story that I like is how this astonishing event is told in a very ordinary, matter-of-fact way. Whilst at Sophie's house the tiger eats and drinks everything in sight, the family seem mildly surprised by this but once the tiger has politely taken his leave decide to go out for tea.

Despite the

• Handa's Surprise: Read and Share
  • The Gruffalo's Child
  • Five Minutes' Peace
  • Zog
Judith Kerr was a German-born British writer and illustrator who has created both enduring picture books such as the Mog series and The Tiger Who Came To Tea and acclaimed novels for older children such as the autobiographical When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit which give a child's-eye view of the Second World War.

Kerr was born in Berlin but left Germany with her parents and her brother, Michael, in 19

News & Interviews